Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Shollin

Azazel

Azazel, from Diabolus:

One of the Chiefs of the 200 Fallen Angels of Enoch and Satan's Standard Bearer. Azazel was cast out of Heaven when he refused to kowtow to Man: "Why should a Son of Fire fall down before a son of clay?" Why, indeed. Black Mountain sage, bay, lemongrass and citron with a spike of lavender.

First sniff: I have no idea what this one actually smells like, but it's bold and green-spicy and I like it a lot. More of a masculine scent, I think -- a male dancer, all fluid motion and shirtless grace... sorry, I think I'm drooling. I'll definitely be trying this one on -- maybe at night in hopes of interesting dreams? :P

Wearing: I figured out what the familiar scent is, and that so rarely happens! Republic of Tea makes an herbal called Desert Sage, and this is totally it -- a dry spice that's homey/kitcheny rather than exotic, green and not bright. Of course, now that I have the desert image in my head, the gorgeous dancer-man has turned into a cowboy... *curses her uncooperative imagination* After about an hour it loses its spice and turns into more of a clean, almost soapy scent.

This is a very pleasant, light scent that smells strongly of lavendar in the bottle and when wet, but dries to a bright and clean soap/citrus fragrance with just a hint of lavendar. It's very nice, although not something I'd usually wear since lavendar doesn't always agree with me. This ended up not being a problem because it disappeared completely after about 20 minutes. Oh well.

I got this because the imp ear of Lear didn't work out for my boyfriend, and we figured we'd go for a scent that had some similar elements to see if that worked any better. No cedar in this one, but the description caught his interest (mid-video game, no less), so I swapped for this little imp and we gave it a try.

In the Bottle

This smells like lemon and lavender. Reminds me of weaving lavender wands, and having the scent of them all over my hands, then going to my old herb garden and burying my head in the lemon verbena. A bit pungent though. Such a strong lavender scent that it might give me a headache if I sniff at it any longer, and certainly drowns out the other elements.

Wearing It

When my boyfriend put this on, he smelled delightful. This gorgeous combination of bay leaf and lemon and citron and lavender and sage... It was all very well rounded. I wasn't there when he put it on, so I can't speak for how it smelled when it was wet, but the dry scent of it was delicious. I'm trying to get him to keep it. He, however, might not like it for entirely different reasons. He likes the way it smells, especially in comparison to how he reacted with Lear, and enjoys the lemon, sage, lavender, citron blend. However, he was noticing that all day long he had this unresistable urge to get spaghetti; namely because his mother always used to use bay leaf in her recipe for the sauce. So he's a bit hesitant to wear a cologne that will always make him hungry. Especially as he's trying to cut back on snacking.

When I put a little on myself, it smells strongly of lemon and sage while wet. As it dries off it gets bitter and the bay picks up a lot. No, I really mean a lot. It's actually unpleasant, because it, in turn, reminds me of my mother's recipe for split pea soup; and the only other scent that comes through over the bay leaf is the lemon (which doesn't quite go with the split pea soup memory at all!).

All in all, it's a great scent on my boyfriend, but if the food references continue, I may have to put this up for swaps too. I really do love the way the lavender and lemon combine on him, with just the touch of sage and bay. It smells perfect, and I'm hoping that he can get over the pasta urges. As for me, this is definitely not a scent that I'd wear. Even without the strong bay smell, it's a bit too masculine for me.

Azazel went on my skin in a beautiful start; lemongrass, with its sweetness tempered by lavender. I'd never thought of how well this pairing would play off of each other, but they're incredibly complementary.

It doesn't take too long for the bay leaf to poke through, and this just gets more and more spa-like. This smells so much like - and yet so much better than - the spa at Beaches Resort at Providenciales in Turks and Caicos, British West Indies. When the sage adds itself to the mix, there's an exotic wood-green feel about it.

Unfortunately, after I'd had this on for a while, my chemistry gave it a metallic tang; I'm going to try it on my mother, who gets completely different results out of everything she tries that I pass along.

The tension rolls out of me when I sniff this one, and I can't tell you if it's my association with a week of massages and snorkeling or the scent itself. Azazel's not a scent I would consider overly masculine, but it's definitely about effortless, defiant, and overwhelming beauty.

This, to me, smells /cold/. Or, at least, it did when I first sniffed it.

On wet, it's very lemon/citron with an almost lime tartness. Under the surface there's a lingering shadow which is almost a negative scent, the bay an sage. It's very sweet going on, but oh... when it warms, one sees the Son of Fire indeed. After only a few moments on me, this incredible warm sage/bay/lavender scent comes to the fore and reminds me of a sorched orchard of lemon trees.

It's seductive, and enticing. Like the pull of something you know you really shouldn't do, but just can't help play along with. For some reason, Spike from Buffy comes to mind when I smell this. While the scent is green and citron, its also dark and light... dark in a way that defines the light while remaining apart from it. If that makes any sense. Likely I'm just rambling.

Anyway, I like it. I don't think it's a 5ml order for me, but I'm deffinitely keeping the imp. I can certainly imagine reaching for this on days when I want to shake off shackles and thumb my nose at convention.

azazel

at first: i smell the lemongrass, but everything else is a blur. the lab included this as an extra.

on: wow! lemongrass and lavender. there are other things that make the scent fuller. this is wonderful.

1 hour later: lemongrass, plus some herbs and something a tad sweet. this is a very beautiful, if confusing, scent.

2 hours later: this is going a bit darker. i think i'm smelling the sage and bay more now. still very interesting.

3 hours later: hmmm...almost like maple syrup now.

overall: i like the smell of this, but not on me. if it doesn't work in my oil burner, i'll be getting rid of it.

This is definitely a masculine scent. In the bottle and wet on my skin it smells mostly of sage, bay, and lemongrass. It's clean and refreshing, and most definitely green. As the scent dries it becomes a bit sweeter, sagier, and then settles into lavender. This is a very kitcheny scent. The lavender stage is my favorite, and thankfully appears to be the most long-lasting. Unfortunately this scent doesn't last very long- about a half hour on me. Oh well. I'll certainly use up the imp.

In bottle: Bay, sage, lemongrass, and lavender. For some reason it seems a gentler version of Arkham. It's almost a bit foody, I guess since so many of the ingredients are also used in cooking.

On me: Very weak - but sour on me. It's lemon juice gone dirty.

Lemongrass. Uhoh. Pleeeeease don't let it just smell like pledge! It sounds so good otherwise!!

In the Bottle: Sage, a small hint of lemon, and a bit of lavender. Yum! I love the complexity of this scent already. I just hope that it stays this way on my skin.

On Me: *sighs* Lemon pledge. Damnit! I was totally in love with the scent before I stuck it on my wrist.

Oh well, to the swap pile it goes.

Lemons and herbs. But wait, the herbs are retreating. Now, I'm left with a warm lemony scent... and that's all. I like lemon scents well enough, but I guess I expected more from this.

In the bottle - lemongrass and lavender

On me - at first, lemongrass, citron, and lavender, with the lemongrass and citron being very strong. After a whole, the lemongrass and citron die down a bit, and the sage and the bay come out. It's very well blended, and it's one of those masculine scents that I can get away with wearing. It's quite calming too.

This would definately be bottle-worthy. Sigh.

Wet I can smell bay and lemongrass, strongly, followed by a touch of lemon and lavender.

Dry it calms down a bit, turning into a citrusy lavender perfume.

I am very sad this one has been discontinued! :P

Azazel

In the imp: lemongrass, sage and lavender. Very herbal, like an aromatherapy blend.

Wet on skin: who, strong lemongrass in here, eclipsing all the other notes…

Dry on skin: this is a very lemongrass-y scent. I can make out hints of other herbs in here, but mainly lemongrass. It's a sharp scent, piercing and tangy. I'll wait a bit for the lemongrass to fade.

After a while: the lemongrass edge dies down a bit, leaving a herbal scent on the skin that may be sage and bay. It's quite pleasant as a scent, but to me it feels more like a nice scent for a soap or bath, or for an aromatherapy scent, than as a perfume. It also reminds me of the TAL blend, Concentration.

Verdict: this scent starts with a huge blast of lemongrass, piercing and sharp, that takes over the scent for about 15 minutes, before toning down to reveal the herbs underneath. it's a pleasant scent but not something I'd wear as perfume-I think it would be nicer in a soap or burned as room scent-the lemongrass is good at unclogging an unfocused brain! Nice, but not a favourite.

I tried this one out at a friends sniffing party a few days ago, forgetting what the notes were.

Azazel is definitely very heavy on the lemongrass. Piercing, sharp lemongrass with a bit of a spicy herbal undertone. Even without a list of the notes, I easily picked out the lemongrass.

In the drydown, this is still heavily lemony, but with a soapy lavender and sort of dirty/funky herbal smell coming in. Sage isn't so great on my skin, and it might be what mucked this one up so badly.

I don't much care for lemon, so Azazel is a bit off-putting to me... and this isn't even a good lemon for my skin chemistry. Too herbal and sharp.

A spark of citrus scent right at first, and then it settles into lavender. Kind of a fresh, crisp lavender. It's not bad as lavender goes, but I don't particularly like that note. So this one's not for me.

Azazel - from the DC imp circle.

Lemongrass sometimes overpowers me, so we'll see.

In the imp: Lemongrass, and probably the citron.

On me/wet: Lemony fresh. Nothing else is coming through, although the citron is blending well with the lemongrass to give it a strong, sharp citrus scent.

Drydown: It's still lemony, but getting more candy sweet. I wish something else would come out of this, but nothing yet. Wait...finally, sage and bay have joined the group. Very nice. :P

Edited by scourgeotheseas

from the Discontinued Sniffing Circle.

In the imp – sage, lemons

On the skin – ok, I think it’s lemongrass that doesn’t work for me, or at least old lemongrass. This smells like lemongrass, sage, and a remnant of baking products (what I’m attributing to weird lemongrass interaction on my skin). There could be a touch of lavender here but it’s not strong or overpowering.

Due to the strange flour smell, I don’t care for this scent but I was glad to try it.

Azazel - This is a very herbal scent, clean and bright, and reminds me of an aromatherapy oil. Lemongrass is one of the only "lemon" notes I can wear well. This blend is no exception. It's predominantly lemongrass and lavendar, and while I can't distinctly smell the sage, I can tell that's what's keeping the lavendar from being overbearing to me. It's a lovely scent, and while it doesn't fit my preferences for personal fragrance, I think it would be a really good scent to wear when you want to clear your head and relax -- a good meditation scent. The throw is light, and the staying power is about average.

in the vial: sage, and a hint of lemon grass, and a splash of lavander

wet: sage and lavander

as it dries it is more bay, lemongrass, sage and lavander, this reminds me of a walk in an herbal store. i like it alot.

In the vial, this blend is fairly light and herbal.

When it comes into contact with my skin, the lemongrass and citron bloom into a prominent but soft lemony combination.

The citrus notes fade over time to the background, leaving a gorgeously warm, dry, soothing dark-green herbal scent, dominated by sage and lavender. This scent strikes me as being truly gender-neutral, and it is quite lovely. I'm looking forward to seeing how it behaves on my husband.

Oh damn, this is absolutely gorgeous - herbal and woody with a lovely light lemony note. I love this on me, and it would be gorgeous on a man as well. So so sad that it's gone.

I definitely get the lemongrass, the sage and the lavender. The sage is like the base of this blend - and the lemongrass and lavender waft the most. It's this nice, herbal, slightly masculine blend. I can see this definitely appealing to all the guys and girls that like chypre blends.

Very sad this is D/C or else I'd totally make my husband try this! I think it's right up his alley.

Count me as another very sad this is so long gone... This is what I'd hoped Arcana would smell like, all herby & yum... It's actually fairly similar to Calliope - the sage & lemongrass/citron are the most prominent, with the lavender & bay emerging once things calm down a bit. Very naturalistic, the scent your hands would pick up after working with the dried herbs. Lovely!