Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
tailoredshirt

Sorrowful Affection

The appearance of Justine was calm. She was dressed in mourning, and her countenance, always engaging, was rendered, by the solemnity of her feelings, exquisitely beautiful. Yet she appeared confident in innocence and did not tremble, although gazed on and execrated by thousands, for all the kindness which her beauty might otherwise have excited was obliterated in the minds of the spectators by the imagination of the enormity she was supposed to have committed. She was tranquil, yet her tranquillity was evidently constrained; and as her confusion had before been adduced as a proof of her guilt, she worked up her mind to an appearance of courage. When she entered the court she threw her eyes round it and quickly discovered where we were seated. A tear seemed to dim her eye when she saw us, but she quickly recovered herself, and a look of sorrowful affection seemed to attest her utter guiltlessness.

Sorrowful affection: lily of the valley, tuberose, pink carnation, green tea absolute, orange zest, bourbon geranium, and blue musk.

This is a pretty scent. It is mostly floral and musk while it's wet, with a hint of citrus and tea. I get the lily and carnation primarily. It gets kind of sharp and slightly soapy as it dries, probably as the lily and tea get stronger and come to the front. Dry, it is mostly sharp floral tea. I liked it more in the wet stage, I think, but it is pretty.

Wow - this is different, and fantastic! Initially I get mostly orange zest, geranium and blue musk, behind that a bit of green tea. Very energizing and lively without being sharp, a real stress-buster scent. As it dries, the orange zest takes on a much sweeter note, almost like candied orange, but the geranium and green tea keep it from becoming sickly-sweet. I don't tend to amp florals, but I do smell lily of the valley and tuberose, but they're so well blended with the other notes that they only accentuate them. Final dry-down is a sweet musk with orange and geranium, a hint of tea and very subtle florals. There's something very sweet and sugary about this blend too, but that's a plus since it makes it festive and unique. I get no sharpness at all, on me it's very sweet, very mellow. I like this a lot!

Wet, this is flat-out nasty. Aggressively green and sharp and sneezey.

I hate you, green tea. You are very weird on me.

But.. in a few moments, something starts to happen.

Seriously, chills...

is that...

CARNATION?

I just did this people:

:woohoo:

Not even kidding, I got up from the PC and flailed around and huffed and flailed.

Since 2004, I have been looking for a majorly carnation-y scent, and I have not really found it. But this could be it.

After much huffing and drying, the carnation is gone and instead I smell... still pretty awesome. I can huff out the orange but would not have placed it without the description. The tea keeps trying to be a dick, but failing.

This is absolutely bottle worthy. How many bottles depends on the very-dry stage. I need to let my nose rest and see if the carnation sticks around as the main note when I'm not paying hard-core attention.

This might, maybe, be my holy grail. Two hours should tell....

:squee:

This is the prettiest lily scent I have ever tried. It's smells just like a freshly picked lily in spring time. There is no orange zest, or carnation present here at all. Once it dries the lily dies down and blends beautifully with blue musk and then just like magic Poof! It fades. I think I will keep this decant for the spring..but I won't need a whole bottle.

I can't smell anything in particular through the overwhelming sense of high pitched Shrieking Florals.

Not for me.

Origin: Decant Circle

Initial Thoughts: I can usually do blue musk without amping. I like most of the floral notes and am not sure about the orange zest or green tea.

In the Vial: I think I'm getting the lily the most. It's a very strong, kind of sterile white floral that makes me think of funeral parlors.

Wet: Very lily still, with a bit of the orange zest and a hint of carnation.

Drydown: The blue musk amps a bit and helps to kill the worst of the funeral-parlor lily. However, now the florals have gone soapy on me. I'm not sure of the culprit since this usually doesn't happen to me.

Verdict: While I usually adore florals, this one isn't so good on me.

I can't smell anything in particular through the overwhelming sense of high pitched Shrieking Florals.

Not for me.

I could have written this review myself. I am totally striking out on Yules this year. :(

I love blue musk and have good luck with lily, carnation, orange, and geranium, so I had high hopes for this one.

Initially, I get a burst of citrussy tea, but the drydown of this is all sharp floral. The only note that I'm really getting in the drydown is the tuberose.

Sorrowful Affection smells like sharp, perfumey, chemical-y white floral on my skin. Sharp, harsh and slightly soapy.

On me, this is all tropical floral. For some strange reason, this smells exactly like a perfume oil I got in Hawaii years ago. Must be the tuberose. While I expected florals, I didn't expect a Hawaiian paradise. I'll keep the decant for summer use, but probably won't search out more.

In bottle: Strongly floral, with the rose and lily dominant. The tea buoys and supports the flowers, tying it all together. The zest gives a vibrant tang to the florals, the musk a touch of sensuality. This is well blended and a good,

Right away I can tell this is not going to play nice with my skin. The tuberose is sharp and amping on me, while the other florals are shouting in the background, wanting to be heard, but it's an annoying shout and the musk isn't helping. Not for me.

For me this is a strong, pretty floral. I get lily, carnation and hints of green tea and citrus. It's bright, yet solemn. I can see this also being appropriate for a wedding or another formal occasion.

Fresh, airy floral. In the vial, this is definitely lily of the valley with a few rose petals in the background. Fresh green tea also livens this up. On me, the green tea pops and is accompanied by a bright musk and fresh orange zest. The florals are there but not getting in the way or overpowering the tea and company at all. Sorrowful Affection would make a terrific spring perfume.

In the decant: Carnation, green tea, and blue musk.

Wet: Orange zest is orange zest.

The dry-down: The orange zest is calming, allowing the tea, musk, and carnation to re-appear.

Later: The lily of the valley (which often turns into a sharp, brown note on me) has made, alas, its presence known. It's not too sharp, but is bringing that brown note (like a feral musk, but not like civet) to the party. I will have to use this in the scent locket, as I like the scent of the decant.

On the skin: This is a very fresh, floral scent. It is just very pretty. After a bit, it becomes a bit powdery. Is that the blue musk? Never headachy which is good!

This one definitely isn't for me, but it is pretty.

In bottle - Flowers, but polite, restrained flowers.

On wet - More flowers. Soapy, but pretty! There's the carnation. And the lily - a true-to-life lily of the valley, sweet and delicate.

Drydown - A tiny, tiny bit of tangerine powder is hiding somewhere, under the floral bouquet of lily and carnation. Still waiting for the green tea to peek its head out! But this is fresh and floral, and I can see wearing it somewhere to spend time alone, just thinking, on a warm summer's afternoon. Soft and powdery, but still very nice, and not too loud for being so floral.

I didn't wear this much in the winter, but in the damp spring time this is a perfect floral and green, with something grounding it, I think that must be the musk. This is fresh and airy, but has depth.

i got a sniffie of this in a swap! it's a very fresh floral scent, smells like flowers really do when you walk by, almost like a flower shop with a hint of additional sweetness, from the tea and musk. i could see this as a good summer or spring scent, because it's light. i think i am mostly getting green tea, orange, lily and geranium. i don't smell the warmth of the carnation and usually tuberose is really noticeable, but it's subtle in this. glad i got to try this, though it's not really a "me" scent.