Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
nenia

Hurricane

The Dark Side of Air: a high pitched, tangy, clear scent -- light China rain deepened by murky vetivert.

I swear I smell cucumber in here, and...ginger? The vetiver is understated on me after an initial blast - this is really nice, but something in it goes plastic-y on me.

I think Hurricane completes my BPAL vetiver collection. What a wonderful road it has been, but I'm sad that this wonderful scent was so far down on my list of priorities. I think I was scared off by the "China Rain" notes. China Rain was a popular car air freshener scent in my neighborhood growing up :P

Wet: A bit of cucumber-like sweetness, a bit of baby powder, some sandalwood maybe? oh, and of course- vetiver's signature motor oil smell. So awesome.

As it dries, vetiver does its usual morph into sweet dry wood, and the baby powder turns into a very light rain smell.

All four of these guys (Hurricane, Burial, Undertow, and Inferno) are highly evocative, and they hit their respective targets dead-center. One of Beth's great early creations, not to be missed!

Edited by couscous

In the bottle – Something sharp and sour wit vetiver underneath

Wet on me – The dark bitter scent of the vetiver is prevalent

Dry on me –It disappeared very quickly

Overall – As far as I’m concerned it’s brevity is this blends only positive attribute

This is extremely lovely on me- vetiver and ozone, two of my favourites. Unfortunately, it seems to fade unusually quickly- it's totally gone within an hour, which is an awful shame, since this is one of those "want to spend the day with my nose glued to my wrist" scents.

Will have to see how it does in a scent locket.

Edited by lilirose

I was really looking forward to this scent... and really disappointed when I finally tried it. Something in this oil (the ozone maybe?) turned into a cigarette-butt smell the moment it hit my skin. It also had a LOT of throw initially. After about half an hour (my skin eats scent) the throw was mostly gone but the unpleasant ashy smell was still clinging to my wrists. Oh well. :P

Edited by innocent

Initial thoughts: Hmmm... This is probably just gonna be vetiver on me, alas. Which is a shame, because I'm definately more of an 'air' person than anything else.

In the imp: Sweet, light, tangy vetiver - but vetiver all the same.

On the wrist, wet: Bright, clean, nutty vetiver. Not unpleasant, actually, but possibly just a little too similar to a few other scents I've tried.

Twenty minutes later: Sharp, biting vetiver. Not my thing at all.

Verdict: Swaps pile you go.

Tl;Dr: Vetiver with a sharp, airy edge.

In the Bottle: Well, it does smell strangely of weather! Sort of lightning in a hospital in the tropics. Pleasant though, I like it.

On Skin: Whoo eee... Deep Woods Off exactly! This is bug spray.

After a While: The bug spray smell is fading, now it smells of India. Mothballs with humidity. Little room mosquito vapor machines. Background of spicy woods. Fresh air when the air is rich with wetness and distant resins. I would never have though that this was how India smelled, until I'd visited. Wow. This is like travel in a bottle. It softens and sweetens with time.

Verdict: I've used a lot of words with negative associations here, but I'm charmed by this scent. It's a keeper, but I think my imp will be enough :P

This smells like charred wood that's been soaking in saltwater for days. Do I smell laurel too? I think the vetivert adds that entropic mess that's associated with a hurricane, but it doesn't really smell anything aquatic or reminiscent of it if the name and description were not there to evoke those connections. I really enjoy woody smells, but this is really too smoky for my taste.

Imp: Dark and Dank and rotting

Wet on Me: wet rotting wood? Still dark and Dank…like an old cellar

Drying Down: This is a burnt out forest right after the fire and a quick rain. Smoke and Rot.

Dry: Oh this is too much for me. Not my bag baby. Off to the rehoming pile this goes.

Hurricane so reminds me of something, and I just can't place what! It's definitely a wet wood smell, and it lasted without changing all day (unusual for me). I can't say it's a scent I care for, but it's exactly what it's trying for, and well worth a sniff.

First on this smells really astringent but very interesting. Not like any other scents I've tried really.

Dry down is much more mellow. Certainly an aquatic, an interesting mix of refreshing and dark. Oddly the smell reminds of unscented lotion.. um.. not sure why it reminds of that! It's sort of a neutral scent on me. It smells clean and I like it quite a bit. It seems like my skin is eating it up though as it's barely noticeably after about half an hour. I will definitely finish imp, and I could totally see myself wearing this around the house after a shower.

Hmmm, aquatic with an edge of decay. I like this! Th eaquatics are hit or miss with me since I amp them like nobody's business, but whatever murky greenery is lurking in the background is really working. Very evocative of a swamp in a good way :P

I have high hopes for this one - I'm a Pisces and so want to find an aquatic that works on me.

First on: The ozone is way underneath; mainly I smell salt and fresh air - perfect.

Near drydown: Now the aquatic note has asserted itself - it's that squicky scent that makes me ever so slightly nauseous.

The search continues.

I'm glad the vetiver burns out of the top notes of this blend pretty quick because at first it's quite overpowering. After a while it just sorta anchors itself in the background adding an earthy, murky, and somewhat sinister tone to the whole affair. The china rain is gorgeous in this...the combination really conjures up visuals of hurricane weather, rain and ozone gone awry. I actually really like this for the scent experience, but I can't think of when I would wear it as a perfume. Hmmm...perhaps more time to bond will clarify my feelings about this blend. It's intriguing, that's for sure!

This smells disgusting on me, I think I can firmly say that vetivert and I are not friends. Bitter, harsh, metallic scent, yet somehow still comes off slightly nutty(?), it's making me sick.

Vetivert scares me so I was hesitant...

Wet: This definately evokes a hurricane to me, Its all water-logged wood, bad wind and water. Not something I want to really smell like though.

Drydown: There you are vetivert! Stanky ozone. Not me at all.

This reminds me a bit of Undertow, which I've got on my other wrist for comparison, except it is most definitely tangier. It's also muskier, and has this sort of sour and unpleasant undertone. It's not really a scent that I enjoy on myself, though it does smell quite pleasant in the imp. Almost a very light lemony scent, without the sourness attached to it. Though that does seem to come up on my skin.

Sniffed: Goldenrod coloured oil. Slightly sweet, rainy aquatic with sort of dirty, somewhat bitter and harsh, manly vetiver. It matches the description exactly!

Wet: More heavily aquatic and less harsh/dirty in terms of the vetiver; smoother and more well-blended overall. It has a definite cologney, masculine feel. It's a little scary and dark, but not unappealing. Very tangy.

Dry: It feels a little generic to me, like Axe or some masculine hygeine product. It becomes oddly sweet, and also sort of plasticky/chemically as it dries - the vetiver goes bitter, and loses its earthiness, though it's still dark and murky.

Summary: Dark, bitter, chemically, slightly sweet freshwater aquatic. Very masculine, and almost bitingly sharp. Strong throw & longevity.

In the bottle: Clear. Oh - smells sharp. Wait. Is that.. carrots?

Wet on skin: Lettuce?! What the hell? This definitely smells like lettuce. In a bad way. Oh, god, I hope this morphs.

On the drydown: Smells kind of like baby powder. I'm not all that fond of this one. It's just.. off on my skin.

Hurricane

Oh, vetivert. Inhaling, there's a quick tang of ozone and then the vetivert come stomping in. It's not unlike what I'd expect a hurricane to smell like, but I don't care to smell like a hurricane.

Bottle: Very much matches the description. A dark aquatic.

Wet: Whoa, vetiver! Wet, broken wood. Soaked vegetation. You get the idea.

Dry: Damp wood. Ocean breeze.

1 hour in: Woodsy soap. Not for me.

Hey, this will shock and amaze you: HURRICANE SMELLS OF OZONE. That's all I get from the imp. That's all I get on my skin. It's sort of grounded by something after it's totally dry, but I don't readily identify it as vetiver, although I'm sure that's what it is given vetiver's huge presence in other reviews of this oil.

I don't know if there will ever be an ozone scent that works for me. Certainly not this one.