Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
tartsquid

Molly Grue

An angry little beetle with her own kitchen beauty: fig, sesame, hazelnut, and cooking spices softened by rice flower.

In the bottle, sweet fig and rich hazelnut.

Wet: This is surprisingly nutty. I usually turn anything with fig into fig single note, so I am loving that the other notes are coming out. Wet this is beautiful. Sweet fig and nuts.

Dry: Pretty much fig single note. Which is beautiful! Don't get me wrong. I adore the Lab's fig, it's one of my favourite notes. I just wish I could find a fig blend where the other notes sing out too. So far the only ones have been Freak Show and The Grave-Pig.

A weird, fruity little scent! Not much hazelnut on me, it's mostly fig. It's nice, different from most BPALs, but not something I'd wear often.

fig, sesame, hazelnut, and cooking spices softened by rice flower.

Okay, Molly Grue. Will you be the one that breaks my Last Unicorn jinx? Looking at your notes, I sadly doubt it.

In the vial: a warm toasty faintly-foody scent. A sort of golden-brown-tan kind of scent. Promising!

Wet: sweetness, faint floral, something toasted and a bit spicy - I'm guessing the last is the hazelnut and sesame. It smells a bit like a pantry, in a good way. The floral is backing out of the way fast, and the fig is coming up. It's making me hungry!

Dry: sadly the toasty spicy nuttiness has disappeared, and it's just sweet fruit all the way. :(

This is so so pretty.

Spicy fig and hazelnut with this beautiful floral background, courtesy of the rice flower.

It's such an interesting scent - almost juicy from the fig, with this subtle kick from the spices and softened by the rice flower.

I really hope I'll be able to finally track down a bottle, but I'm so happy to at least have this little 1/2 decant.

❤️

Molly Grue is gentle and lovely -- I really enjoy all these notes. I expected the opening to be all hazelnut, but it is never strong and blends quietly with the fig and bitter sesame. The spices are also very quiet, and the rice flower, and that is why I'm not keeping this decant -- this scent is just too soft and gentle on me, and my skin eats it up much too quickly.

I tried this at Denver Comic Con in 2015, but I can’t remember what I thought of it, so I am excited to be able to test this one properly!

In the imp: The fig and sesame are the strongest notes, followed by the hazelnut, and then the spices and rice flour. I am not sure which cooking spices this entails at the moment, though!

Wet: The fig, sesame, and hazelnut are the most prominent notes, backed by the rice flour, which is stronger on me than it was in the imp. The spices in this are gentle.

Dry: The fig continues to reign, but now the rice flour note has sidled up to it. I can still smell the hazelnut, but I am not getting much sesame anymore.

Verdict: If you’re a fan of fig, you’ll probably love this. Sometimes I get a waxy quality from the Lab’s fig note, but that was not the case with this one! I don’t think that I would likely end up reaching for this, but it was really nice to get to try this outside of a con setting! (Also, the label art is adorable!)

This reminds me of the berry oatmeal I would eat as a kid.  There were freeze dried berries, and you kinda poured em in the mix and heated it up.  I'm guessing the fig is giving it that vibe.  This is pleasant and homey, and I got some long forgotten twinges of nostalgia, but it's not really my kind of scent.  It kinda made me think of Baba Yaga and The Marshwoman's Brewery, though this is softer and sweeter than the first, and lacks the green floral of the latter, but it's got that bready vibe.  I didn't really get hazelnut, but it's probably part of that fresh baked feel I'm getting.  

A fun and unique foody, but not for me. 

A tribute to the earthy, succulent fig. I’m not getting any hazelnut. The fig it supported by the sesame and rice flower, which keep it from being too sweet. Yet they’re only faint in the background -- it’s almost a single note fig.  And I’m not a huge fig lover or anything, but happy to have tried this.

This is from the reboot.

The base of this scent for me is the rice flower. A wispy, creamy floral. The sesame and hazelnut meld in, and a bit of dried fig peaks out. The spices are very light on me. This is a cozy, creamy scent. Very homey and comforting.