Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ellebelle

Lord Teishin with a Demon behind a Screen

yoshitoshi-demonscreenLG.gif

LORD TEISHIN WITH A DEMON BEHIND A SCREEN

Blood red musk, Spanish mandarin, candied red fruits, Chinese geranium, red pepper, and effervescent tangerine pulp.

This is really interesting... it is a kind of peppery, effervescent citrus. The tangerine note from BPAL is always kind of sparkling to me, and this is no exception. The geranium and the red pepper are adding the spicy note that co-dominates this blend. Red musk is usually a little so-so on me, and I don't find this blend particularly heavy on the red musk. The muskiness blends in with the other notes.

On the dry down, the spicy-musky scent takes over this blend and I lose the citrus entirely. This does not surprise me, as citrus rarely sticks with me.

Really interesting. I like this, but I think if I wore it next to me face it would give me a headache as it has quite the powerful throw.

Edited by Shollin

ITB: This is really interesting in the bottle. I smell mandarin, tangerine, the candied fruit, and for some reason, I smell Japanese plum. I wonder if this is the blood red musk and pepper. I do like this in the bottle. It's really unusual.

Wet: No more plum scent, but I get the red paper, candied red fruit, geranium, and mandarin with a touch of tangerine. I am, however, getting a slight soapy scent.

Dry: A bit soapy on me, which makes me sad. I do smell a bit of mandarin and geranium, but I do hope that the soapiness wears down after a while. After several hours, it still smells like soap to me. Sadly, I may have to swap this one away. :(

This smells very effervescent in the imp, and perfumey. I hate to say it but I'm reminded me of my newest corn cat litter becuase it has a similar fresh mandarin scent. I don't smell a lot of red musk in this blend. Mostly some red fruits and fizzy tangerine soda.

This smelled so odd in the bottle, like a ton of scents thrown together. On, it first reminds me of an orange based cleaning product in a way, but the orange calms down and lets everything else shine and it becomes more musk on me, but very light throw on my skin. Interesting scent, need to test again I think before I decide if it's a keeper...

Oh, I love this. Wet, it smells like marigolds to me. I have really good memories associated with the smell of marigolds. Dry, it's mandarin/tangerine-fruity and it's a touch soapy. Normally, soapiness would send me running, but it's not *that* soapy, it just brightens the scent a bit. If the musk is here, I'm not smelling it. This is so much lighter, brighter, and fruitier than I expected from a blend with red musk.

When I smelled this in my decanted imp, I immediately got a blast of heady, bubbly tangerine, with some candied sweetness. Unfortunately, on my skin this goes rather soapy, and not in a pleasantly clean way, but in more of a "windex" kind of way. When wet it has a fairly strong, spicy throw that I'm guessing is the combination of the citruses and the red pepper. I'm not getting any red musk, unfortunately. As it dries, more of the geranium is making an appearance, and I think that's what is turning soapy on my skin. I was really looking forward to this one, but I think it's just not for me.

ETA: I think the throw for this is actually getting stronger as it dries (?!) and it's becoming completely overwhelming. I might have to wash this one off. :(

Edited by JLH

Lord Teishin with a Demon Behind a Screen - This is full of notes that should have been a complete win on me - red musk, mandarin, tangarine, geranium, candied fruit... but it goes on smelling extraordinarily soapy and dries down to a soap-and-citrus scent. Beneath the soapiness, I smell something that tells me that this had the potential to be amazing on me, but whatever's going soapy is just going really, really wrong on my skin. So sad!

I think I am the only one who doesn't get soap from this. Wet: Strong mandarin orange with hints of red musk. Drydown: Chinese Geranium, hints of sweet candied fruits...but mainly geranium. I just love this. It is something to wear when I want a light and fruity perfume. :D

In the bottle, this smells like sweet tangerine and dryer sheets. It reminds me of the Metal Rabbit/Metal Tiger/Earth Rat/Fire Pig/Earth Ox series of blends. The drydown is like sweet, bright tangerine, soap, and hints of a clean, vegetal pepper. I can't pick out the red musk (surprising, because red musk is usually very strong on my skin) or anything like candied fruits. The blend doesn't really smell red to me at all, more of a clean soapy-citrus.

Edited by Little Bird

Hunh. This is smelling like pomegranate usually does on me -- which is, unfortunately, extremely reminiscent of a bathroom air freshener. That's why I usually avoid pomegranate. We're not friends.

It's soft, a little fizzy, and fruity. And although red musk is usually quite loud on me, I honestly wouldn't have guessed it was in here.

I don't really go for the fizzy scents, but this one isn't nearly as WOW FRUITY FIZZY as the Tikis are or ones like that. It's softer than that.

Wet, I get strong tangerine and a bit of red musk. Dry, lovely tangerine, no other notes to speak of, though they may be adding effects to the blend that I'm not aware of. Very true juicy tangerine, I really like this, it is kind of reminiscent of the Atomic Luau theme, though not as sweet and fizzy. I'd probably go for a bottle of this, but I have enough of orangey scents already.

This is a zingy juicy tangerine, red musk and pomegranate for a couple seconds until gaaaaah geranium. It completely stomps over everything as geranium usually does with my chemistry. What a shame, because I love red musk scents and I think without that infernal plant I would have really liked this.

Edited by Invidiana

In the decant: Effervescent red musk and red pepper!

Wet: Much the same!

The dry-down: This scent really doesn't morph. There's a little hint of citrus scents, but that's the only additional set of notes that I can pick up. Red musk often amps on me, and Lord Teishin is a good example of this. I tried Lord Teishin, hoping for lots of lovely tangerine, since it's not a note that the Lab uses often, and I always have to try any scent with tangerine, but alas, Lord Teishin is not for me.

Fizzy tangerine, esp. on wet, and then the red musk takes over and hints of geranium. There's a lot of tangerine, esp. on wet but my skin literally eats it up.

This starts out like fizzy citrus candy on my skin. As it settles down, I pick up the geranium note, which always goes soapy on me. I can barely detect the red musk in this blend. In the end, all I really can smell is soap, so I have to pass on this one.

I was totally surprised by this scent, since red musk usually amps like crazy on me...but the geranium note is the dominant one here. It's a slightly soapy floral perfume, no red musk or citrus to be found! There's also a bit of spiciness from the red pepper, but not too much. Geranium isn't a favorite floral of mine, so I'll be sending Lord Teishin to the swap pile.

I thought for sure that if this wasn't going to work on me, it was going to be because of the red musk, but despite being the first listed ingredient, nothing like blood red musk shows up on my skin. I get a lot of mandarin and tangerine and a lot of what I'm guessing is Chinese geranium, and the latter is going soapy on me, so what I end up with is a high-end citrus soap. It would be a fantastic soap for waking up in the morning, but it's not working so well as a perfume.