Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
midnight_aeval

Victorian Rose Milk v1

Prototype, unreleased, no scent description.

Wowee this one is STRONG! I sniffed this one at the Trunk Show and was overwhelmed by the rose emanating from the bottle. As a rule, I don't do rose scents (well, take that back - sorta. I do like the BPTP rose duo). I was thinking this might be like Hope and although the type of rose being used is definitely similar, VRM is more creamy, less sugary than Hope. If 'milk' in the name is any indication that one of the notes could be milk, it's not the type that turns sour or smells like baby spit up to me :lol: For the record, none of the Milk Moons worked for me, and most blends with 'milk' listed in the notes I run away from.

Victorian Rose Milk reminds me of a fragrance a lady from the 1850s would wear to tea. One with a magnificently expensive gown with a hoop skirt underneath and lots of lace, silk, and adornments.

Edited by Midnight Aeval

First off, rose is a note that very rarely ever works on me, because my skin either turns it to 'old lady fake rose perfume' or dry and dusty. I was so surprised by how beautiful Victorian Rose Milk turned out to be! I don't get milk from it at all - to me, this smells like a luxurious lady's body cream with just a delicate touch of a full, pink rose. The lack of other flower notes there stops it from being OMGFLORAL, but the rose allows it to be ultimately feminine. Very pretty and ladylike.

This was the thing I was most oveting from this recent trunk show and I owe a million thanks to marsmomma for getting this to me! :wub2:

In The Bottle: This is a *cream* alright. I get the rose, but then there's this other note that, in the bottle, anyway, smells like almond to me. Almond paste, actually. Marzipan. :huh: While that's confusing, I'm deterred in the least.

Wet On Skin: Ah, there we go. The almond has left the building, and what remains is a soft milky rose. This reminds me of something my grandmother's sister would have had on her dressing table. something that would have made her skin luminous or softened her hands before bed.

Dry Down: A soft, pink rose. I'm personally picky about my florals. I don't like most of them, but I've been in the modd for Rose as of late in particular, and I think this just scratched that itch! ;)

In All: Medium to Strong throw (I put just a drop on my hand and it's presence is noticeable) This is a rose's rose. A lady's rose. Not a rose in the garden, but one a Victorian Madame would have scented her sheets with. A keeper to be sure!

:wub:

A friend was gracious enough to let me make a tester from her incoming bottle. :wub2:

This a soft lightly creamy red rose scent. Pure...from wet to drydown. Not too strong, but just a dab will do ya! (I amp the hell out of rose) I see why rose lovers may go ga-ga over this. It is truly an incredible scent...that will be loved well in the home it is going to. :D

I love rose. :wub2:

This smells like the same rose that's in Persephone, only with milk instead of pomegranate. It's definitely milky instead of creamy and smells very nostalgic. It makes me smell like a pretty Victorian lady.

Some rose scents can be too sharp on me, but this isn't one of them. It's like candied rose petals in smooth, creamy milk, and everything stays true as it dries down with nothing rancid going on like both Milk Moons. Very evocative of a lady of the era without actually smelling sharp like those vintage perfume bottles hanging around in my aunt's bathroom. If you like Thouros, you will love this one!

I love Rose scents. Love love love. This one is no exception!

It definitely is a milky rose but there is something else with it that is almost fruity. Perhaps cherry or almond. Luckily that goes away pretty fast and this dries down to a lovely but strong rose fragrance!

Slightly milky rose. Sadly, I amp up rose like no one's business so this ends up being ROSE ROSE ROSE.

Although it's pink roses rather red. Still.

PASS.

Victorian Rose Milk v1

In the imp: a creamy yet deep rich rose.

Wet on skin: now there’s a bit of almond in there…

Dry on skin: ohh, this is nice. It’s a traditional Victorian rose, dried blood red petals, though less crisp than the one in London, this one is more like Lucy’s Kiss or the Empress. It’s got a rose otto scent to it as well, with a scent of dried petals but also a rich and almost resinous depth. I don’t smell any more of the initial creamy scent from before, just a hint of almond milk but not as much as before. It’s mainly roses. Very beautiful but it may be a little too heavy and traditional-I was hoping for a little milkiness, a la Alice.

After a while: the milk/cream doesn’t return. This dries down as pure rose. A dusky, deep red and very aged rose, this is haughty and aloof in feel, like the Peacock Queen, but it’s a little sour at drydown (in a wilted rose petal way rather than a sour milk). It’s not bad but I was hoping for the creamy scent to return, and it smells a little too old fashioned for my tastes. I think it’s also not very sweet on me.

Verdict: this smells exactly what it says on the label-a vintage rose otto with a hint of creaminess. Though I do wish it were a little creamier, maybe my skin amps the rose? There’s a promising hint of almond milk but that’s very short lived. I normally love roses and especially roses softened by creamy notes but the rose here seems to turn a little fusty and stuffy, slightly wilted, at drydown. It’s not the fresh tea rose of London or Maiden, nor is it like the milky sweet rose of Alice or Dawn Maiden. I think it's more of a Peacock Queen rose, and I'm not so keen on that sort of rose. I think I’ll pass this on because I have loads of rose scents that I prefer to this.

Is it a keeper? Not really. I’d love to see this get released one day, maybe with a bit more creaminess.

If you like this, try: Peacock Queen, Lucy’s Kiss, Rose Cross, London, Pride, Two Five and Seven, The Empress

I was hoping for more of a pink rose with a creamy/milky, softer edge (maybe something like Pink Snowballs), but my skin amps up rose notes, and this is pretty much a rose single note on me. This smells like dry, dark red rose to me. Slightly perfumey/sharp. I like a lot of bpal's rose scents, but this one won't make my top ten.

I usually don't buy bottles unsniffed, much less pay attention to prototypes, but -- what a romantic concept! Rose milk! I love roses, and haven't found a milky blend that I liked yet... so could this be The One? So I was glad for the chance to pick up a bottle from Etsy.

Sniffed: Sweet milk with almond and clear, gentle rose.

On skin: This is a gorgeous rose-and-milk blend! This is the rose note that I'm most fond of: gentle, sweet and pink. The milk initially had a heady infusion of almond, but thankfully the almond recedes upon drydown. The blend settles into pink rose deepened by light, creamy milk touched with almond; a simple blend but perfectly evoking its name. Victorian Rose Milk is like a lighter version of Katrina van Tassel, which contains the same rose but is heavily creamy and honeyed. It is also reminiscent of Abhisarika, which is creamier and musky, and more complex. Colour impression is milk blushed through with pale, rosy pink.

Verdict: Victorian Rose Milk is a simple scent, but perfectly crafted and lovely in its simplicity. This is indeed the rose-and-milk blend that I'd been looking for. I'm so glad I took a chance and got my bottle!

ooh i like this! i love victorian rose scents and this is no exception. at first the rose is quite strong, but then it mellows out into a nice creamy rose. this reminds me of alice without the carnation, and maybe yellow roses instead of a red rose? it definitely has an alice/maiden feel to it. must get a big bottle of this, if it's even possible!

Interesting! Beautiful in the bottle, and exactly what it says on the tin (and on the skin) - and goes into milky rose tea-territory later.