Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Red musk, tobacco, red sandalwood, dried pomegranate, patchouli, dusty frankincense, and raspberry clotted over blackened sugar-spun vanilla cream cotton.

I've had a bottle of this since it was released, but for some reason have never reviewed it. Now's a good time though, because I recently discovered that this ages beautifully!

When I first got it, I liked it, but didn't love it. It was a very sweet, sticky scent that kind of reminded me of fabric softener sheets after it dried down. Now however, it is seriously sexy. I can't really pick out any note on its own, they're all blended so wonderfully. There is a similarity to Mme Moriarty here with the musk and patchouli, but the fruit in Red Lace is fruitier (that might not make sense to any else but me, sorry!) and the cotton note makes this one totally unique.

I almost sold this one last week and I am so glad I decided to re-test it before letting it go.

I am so, so glad I hung onto the imp of this that I swapped for some time ago--at the time I wasn't overly impressed with it, finding it struck me as almost a bit sharp...but after having left it tucked away in the imp box for close to a year, now, I decided to give it another try...and it's exquisite. I definitely get the soft sugary vanilla that I love about black lace, but without any sort of boozy note, and just a hint of red berry that, thus far lingers in the background, rounding out the scent. I think I might be picking up on just a bit of the red musk in the background, as well, but my nose isn't good enough for me to be certain.

All I know is that I'm glad I hung onto this--it's gorgeous enough that I recently decided to try getting ahold of a bottle, as I think I'll be finding this to be pretty wearable, overall--it's not a hugely in-your-face scent, even just after application, so I can see myself enjoying it even for something like work. (with that said, I'll update later if this morphs/fades really fast on my skin; I haven't had it on all that long, at this point).

tobacco with a hint of creamy sandalwood adding depth. It goes powdery pretty fast, soft throw.

I got my bottle when it was first released and only opened it to sniff it, it was too sweet at that time and so I held on to it hoping that aging it will tone down the sweetness, and I was right, it is glorious on my skin now, though having only a soft throw. But it is holding steady after almost 4 hours on my skin. I never liked pomegranate & raspberry, but this smells oh so good! :wub2:

Someone (I can't remember who, but thanks, whoever you are!) frimped me a tester of Red Lace. I'm kind of hesitant based on the notes, but I have a policy to at least try everything I can, so here goes. My preconceived notions are that the "vanilla cream cotton" has a tendency to smell sour and weird on me (like in Boo), but the other notes are worth trying it for.

In the imp: smells musky and a bit boozy

On my skin: Well, I had Black Lace Resurrected a few years ago, and I don't remember how it smells all that well, but I do feel like the "lace" base here is similar. It's sweet and musky though I don't really smell the usual "red musk" smell. There's a bit of a.... stale coffee? scent going on as it starts to dry. Okay, more than a bit. I do have a cup of coffee nearby but I don't think I had any on my hand... my fingers don't smell like it. Just to be sure I put another drop elsewhere on my arm and monitored it closely, same thing - smells sweet and musky at first, then starts smelling like stale coffee. If I sniff my arm very closely, I can detect how the "stale coffee" thing is, I think, how my nose/brain are parsing this set of notes but that it's actually made of separate parts, including some "red" fruits ... but I don't find it a pleasant association at all.

Not for me, sadly.

Edited by sunlitgarden

I have been searching for the perfect Red Musk....maybe this is it?

Wet: Wow. Creamy, sweet, fruity. The red musk is present, but there's also something that smells a bit like creamy root beer, and I am totally digging it. This is really sensual. Mmm. On the edge of gourmand. Love it so far. It's not what I expected, but it's awesome.

Dry: The tobacco in this is subdued, and I think the combo of that and the vanilla is giving me this creamy root beer vibe that I am digging so much. The hints of musk keep it from being too foody though. Love it!

In the bottle: Red fruits with a bit of cologne maybe..there is somes spices too! Promising ♡

Wet: Bright, juicy raspberries! I don't know why but it make me smile each time haha. Very summer like

dry: Musky pomegranate take the lead, the sandalwood add a dusty note to the scent.there is a tiny bit of patchouli too..maybe it's what gave the illusion of spice! I like that stage best. The tobacco is timid and sometime it doesn't even appears, depending the day I guess)

After 30 min or so, the cotton is detectable in all it's creamy, glory ♡

I'm so glad I could score a bottle of this!♡

This instantly reminded me of the incense stand at our local Renn Faire. I'm not a huge fan of patchouli, but this could work on me over time. It's strong, but I could get used to it.

This is one of my very favorite BPAL scents, so much so that I have hoarded the precious with five back-up bottles. I think it's time for me to let some go, as my collection is sprawling, and I'm only to the bottom of bottle #2. Eeep! :x

This scent makes me feel frisky and playful and gives me confidence I don't usually have in my daily life. This makes me feel like a well-respected, fancy lady wearing a power-suit... with lacy, racy red undergarments underneath, just waiting to get home and let her hair down. Heeee. :D

My bottles are six years aged, and though the scent is slightly different with every year, it's still just as good. Now it's mostly a crisp linen with musk and patchouli... and a tinge of vanilla and fruit. It lasts for four to five hours but wears strong the entire time. Love love love Red Lace. I want to hoard until the cows come home, but now I'm thinking about letting someone else out there love it with me... there can't be too many of these floating around any more, eh? :(

This is noice!!!

For me, this is a bright, juicy, red fruits fragrance, with creamy, warm, sugary vanilla notes.

My bottle is pretty aged by now, and I don't really get much in the way of the sandalwood, tobacco, patchouli, or frankincense, but I do get a bit of the musk, and I think it adds very nice depth.

The only down side to this is, it doesn't last very long any more. I can get maybe 4-6 hours of wear time; after that it basically fades completely.

Totally worth it though!

I didn’t even know there was a red one. I found it in a grab bag.

In the imp-something woody, spicy and sweet. Immediate impressions, the old fashioned candy store at the top of the hill

Wet- oh I like this. This is my favorite lace so far. Red sweet candy grounded out so it’s not foodie or youthful. Wine if you took the booze bite out.

Dry: BIG. Big red fruits and resins. I get the lace feel more than the normal vanilla that comes through. I think it’s helping warm this. I don’t get the musk or the patch other than a sort of dirtiness other than again there’s a solid base that’s keeping this from being a foodie.

Longer dry: the wood and the tobacco start showing up in the sillage but not on skin. This hasn't hit a phase that I haven't liked.

This is truly very nice.

Surprisingly, I like this?

I typically am not a fan of scents with red musk or red fruits (red musk tends to take over, and I prefer non-citrus fruits to play a lesser role in scents). But Red Lace smells really good! It's the way that the tobacco is combining with the tart fruits (pomegranate is strongest on me, but the raspberry is pretty strong, too) that makes this a win or me. These notes are backed by the warm resins and just a touch of vanilla cream. The red musk is really well-behaved here and probably blending in with the red fruits. Somehow, it hasn't managed to stomp on all of the other notes even after several hours of wear. I'm not able to pick out the patchouli.

I would never have guessed I'd enjoy this based on the notes, but this is really nice! Thank you to the lovely BPALista that sent me some to try. :heart: 

Edited by doomsday_disco