Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Invidiana

Traipsing through the Crop Circles

Miles and miles of flattened wheat, barley, and maize.

This scent is positively amazing. It smells exactly like when you have fresh corn and you have to husk it and pull all the silk off. Earthy, fresh and clean... this is a wonderful "grounding" scent to me. I've tested it twice and the first time after a few hours it gained a slight hint of cinnamon to it, the second time I pulled a slight hint of sweet honey. I'm so glad to have this decant and am considering a bottle. :)

Wet, this is grass and alfalfa hay with a touch of flowers. It does get that "chewed" up grass vibe, like a lawnmower has gone over the field, and there a bit of bitter weeds and wildflowers in there as well. There is a 'honey' vibe note that I am just adoring, but the other notes are overpowering it. I would sure like this note to amp on me, because it is utterly amazing. I like this, but unless the beautiful honey note comes to the forefront, I won't be upgrading.

This is one interesting scent. I agree with the reviewers who commented on how it smells exactly like corn husks. But that is Act II of this perfume. Act I is flattened, unripe wheat - a nice, grassy smell.

This isn't necessarily something that you might think you'd want to smell like, but it could be good in the right circumstances or if you're in the right mood. Certainly a unique perfurme!

Okay, so I can definitely smell the sweet corn on wet (like the type of smell you get when you husk it) but on my skin this changes into an almost fruity pear sweetness. I kid you not - sort of like a greener and less vanilla Symmakhia. It dries to a more malty barley blend, with that overlay of slight fruity pear sweetness but definitely veering into the cooked corned smell now.

Odd, but pleasant. Quite enjoyable actually. My only problem is the low throw and low wear length of this. One hour later and its almost gone.

Edited by zankoku_zen

On me, this starts out green and sharp. Almost immediately it softens to a more golden herby kind of scent. The maize starts coming out more and lends a bit of a sweetness to round out this blend. I like it a lot more dry than I do in the wet stages, although I'm not sure I really need more than the 1/2 decant I have. I can't see myself reaching for this very often.

In bottle: Smells like mixed grasses, corn, and grain, all freshly trampled. I love this, but I’m not skin testing due to potential allergen issues. It’s heartbreaking as it’s pure summer fields and it’s glorious.

I HAD to get this...of course, based on the title it was necessary for me to own this :lol: The note listing made me nervous since it reminded me so much of Hay Moon (which was an epic FAIL for me). Traipsing through the Crop Circles is quite the opposite!!! :)

I think everyone on the BPAL forums can relate to this...I like to go for walks and sniff the air, noticing how different neighborhoods, landscapes, and States all smell at various times of the day. My favorite place to go for a walk is my parents place in Western Maine in the summertime. There is one particular road I enjoy visiting (and have been since I was very young), it's along a lake and across the street is a huge field full of dry grass. In the middle of it sits an old red barn that's used to store hay and farming type of equiptment. My favorite time of day to walk down this street is right before sunset. The air is filled with the scent of the dry, dead grass, scorched from the heat of the day, fresh Maine air, and the dampness of the soil from the lake on the other side of the street. I like to stop at a certain point on this road, close my eyes and inhale. It's an incredibly nostalgic scent for me and brings back so many wonderful memories of my childhood.

Traipsing through the Crop Circles is THIS EXACT SCENT in a bottle. When I sniffed it I nearly cried.

This has that same, dry, dead grass scent mixed with cool, damp earth and a breeze of fresh air. How does she do it?! Another example of why BPAL has such a huge cult following. I'm not sure anyone else could accomplish this. Amazing.

:wub2:

Wow... so I was encouraged to try some of this on today... and then spent the next 2 hours huffing at my wrist after I left whole foods trying to figure out what that "spicy bourbon vanilla", until the slightest bit of corn resurfaced. It smells like corn... and a perfume at the same time. Mind boggling truely. Wishing I had discovered this back when the black helicopters were up. Its so amazingly creative and paradoxal and delicious.

In the vial, it reminds me of freshly shucked corn and cut grass. It's a very fresh scent. Color, green.

Wet on my skin, HELLOOO CORNFIELD. It really does smell exactly like fresh corn. If you like very green, fresh scents with a hint of dust and pollen, this would be perfect, I'd think.

10-15 minute drydown - Pretty, but I can see where this could actually give me a sinus headache... Allergies, HO! It's not really me, either. But, I was curious.

I love this blend. LOVE. It smells like fields of grain in the summer and I am wearing it as such. It's a clean outdoorsy sort of scent and it is extremely long lasting. I only used a couple drops during the afternoon and smelled it the next morning on me.

This smells like no other BPAL I have tried and I've been looking for something like this for a long time to use as a Lammas/Mabon oil. Very happy with it and recommend it to people who like garden notes or wheat/corn based perfumes, which there seem to be very few. There is a very slight fresh note in this once it dries down as well.

Edited by Madame Nyx

In the bottle it smells very grassy.

Wet: Yep, sroooonng fresh cut grass, hope this one calms down a bit when it dries.

As it's drying I can smell something like lemon(?), now there's a sweetness coming out. It's quite evocative of barley.

It does make me think of me of standing in a drying corn field. But there's still this wierd Lemon Pledge thing I want to disappear!!

I'd give this 2.5/5

Edited by Fjaer

i'm so glad i got to try this in person at c2e2 because i never would have bought it otherwise. the grains here are definitely fresh and grassy as opposed to dry or bready. it's not a foodie scent- it's a fresh, outdoorsy, rural kind of scent- rolling fields of healthy, growing plants. it smells alive and fresh and green- it's earthy and organic, in the same vein as one of my other favorites, graveyard dirt. this is a great scent for a spring day, when the ground is damp and everything is full of life.

God, I WISH I got what everyone else is getting. I'm still in search of a good field scent since Blade of Grass covers my fresh, sweet, dewy grass needs. But this is the same problem as I get with Scarecrow that it turns to harsh,chemical smell that reeks of nail polish remover. It's heartbreaking!! :cry2: Why won't you love meeeeeee?!?

It's such a beautiful scent in the vial that I may finally hunt down a scent locket type thing.

Edited by rayvn1

My first experience with this scent was such a lovely one - fields of grain swaying in the gentle breeze on a warm, sunny day. Subsequent wearings were not so pleasant. Almost immediately upon applying it to my skin, something harshly citrus began to amp heavily, taking over an hour to settle down and grow closer to what it's like in the bottle, albeit greener. I was under the weather when this started to happen, so I wondered if some change had occurred with my chemistry or how I perceive different scents. I plan to try once more in a few days, but if I get the same result, I'll look into buying a locket for this one. The initial impression was too nice to just disregard, though I'm confused as to why it suddenly became so unfavorable on me.