Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Brimming with native fruits and flowers, but also imbued with the power of native earth magicks: apricot and pomegranate with deep plum, wild roses, two Middle Eastern pale musks, white orchid, iris and sweet roots.

I can smell the fruit and flowers as soon as I put it on. It feels like a warm scent. Slightly spicy and quite lovely. I can imagine picking fruit on a warm afternoon. It truly is a spring scent that I can picture wearing on an outing or date. Edited by Shollin

In the bottle it smells /exactly/ like some sort of grape gummy. Like the Welch's kind. On my skin, it almost completely disappears, but there's a rubbery smell behind.

Yummy apricot and plum! This scent smells so delicious. :D Not even the musks are screwing it up for me. On the drydown I get the wild roses coming out just a tad... they don't amp up and smell awful like they normally do either. This blend is breakin' some of the rules! :P Very very nice... I'll definitely be keeping this imp around for awhile. :D

Yerevan was a lab frimp in my last order and I had no idea what this would smell like. So like any other excel-loving BPAL girl, I was sitting there entering in my new oils, and frimps when I realized that this frimp sounded right up my alley. I only had 2 oils on my arms, so there was still room for one more somewhere. I found a spot for it and WOW. This smells like blackcurrant on my skin! I can sorta smell the apricot note it has in common with Katharina, but the other notes turn this into something different, and not as sweet. Katharina is now my second favorite fruity scent. I've only had it on for a few minutes and if the scent holds as blackcurrant...a full bottle will be at the top of my list for the next order.

Update: Sadly, the blackcurrant smell didn't last, but faded to a light apricot musk scent, similar to the drydown of Katharina but less sweet. But it still is quite nice, and I think I still like it better than Katharina but I get two scents in one, plus it's is less sweet on me. Not bad for a frimp!

Bottle: tropical fruit cup.

Wet: same, the musks faint but now noticeable.

Dry: the fruit cup is changing to a car air freshener. no, really.

Later: pom is amping sweet out of control, and now I'm getting a hint of burning plastic. yegods!

(Old) Yerevan-

In Bottle: Oh, grape and some kind of fruit that makes me nostalgic.

Wet: Something bright and pungent explodes on my skin.

Dry: It dries down to a lovely plum-pomegranate. What a nice fruity scent!

Overall: I like!

I got this for several reasons... I love pomegranate, I love roses, and orchid seems to work really well on me. When I first open the bottle, I can definitely pick out the pomegranate and plum. After putting it on my skin, there is a subtle kind of spicyness to it as well. The musk is coming up now too. I like this one a lot, a lot more than I expected to. For some reason, there is something about this scent that strikes me as being a bit masculine but at the same time, I think the fruits in this scent would put off a guy from wearing it. Maybe it's just me.

My mom thinks it makes me smell like "a nice hippy shop". :P

This smells very peachy to me, although looking at the description, I see now that it's apricot. It's very warm, musky, and fruity. Surprisingly, the roses don't amp or turn soapy on me. A very happy scent with decent throw and lasting power. I'll definitely keep the imp around.

Wet: Mixed fruits, with the rose rising rapidly.

Dry: Nutty, almost like marzipan. A little fruit and floral underneath.

Finish: Edible rose and musk.

Duration: This one lasted a long time for me. At 6 hours I was still getting occasional wafts, and at 9 hours it is still strong at my wrists.

This one is a keeper for me; I don't know if I'll get a bottle, but I will happily use up the imp.

In the imp: Fruit!

Wet: Juicy apricot. Begins to turn a little green as it starts drying. The plum note starts to come out more, too.

Dry: It warms up into much more than just fruit. It's a deep, rich, very slightly floral fruity scent, with everything so well-blended that it's really hard for me to pick out any one note.

For a fruity scent, I think this one is quite good. It doesn't have the dreaded fruit-scented shower gel quality to it -- it's a lot more complex than that. If it were stronger I would probably add it to my bottle list; however, it gets a bit faint on me after about 15 minutes. So, although I find the scent very appealing, some of the other really good fruity blends are better for me because they seem to last longer on my skin.

I would recommend that anyone who likes Katharina but finds it a little too bold should try this one.

In the vial: VERY fruity, leaning toward the tropical.

Initial application: The almost-cloying fruit scent starts to warm up quickly with the musks and the florals, saving this from the fate that most fruit scents have with me, which is to go all cheap shower-gel on me. As it dries on me it becomes almost intensely feminine, in a good way.

Drydown: The plum in this one plays nicely on me.....that is, it doesn't reek of Welch's grape juice, or similar. As the fruit fades, the florals pick up the slack with the musks. It's a very subtle scent on me.....I like this, and will use my wonderful imp, but nothing about it on me is making me crave a big bottle of this.

Oh yum! This is fruity, creamy and coconutty. I'm worried about the orchid since I don't think it worked on me in another blend.

And it seems like it not working here either.. There's a floral overriding everything else which is going kind of sharp and powdery. :P Ick.

I want to pretend like this smells as good as it did when I first put it on. But every time I sniff it I wrinkle my nose up. It looks like orchid is another note I'll be avoiding.

In bottle: Apricoty musk

Wet: yup, apricoty musk (yum)

Dry: vanilla musky apricot with roses (there might be a spice or two hiding but it’s hard to tell.

Later: very nice sweet but not cloying fruity floral. Warm, neither terribly juicy nor dry.

Summary: I like it. It doesn’t quite last all day but it’s nice while it does and I’ll certainly enjoy the imp.

a review of Yerevan

Vial ~ sweet and fruity, but not too much

Wet ~ the convergence of the fruits and the flowers gives this very fresh

and sweet scent. As I smell it more I can pick out the apricot and plum and

they are very nice.

Drying ~ The fruits settle down and now the florals are taking over, the

rose comes out and I think I can pick out the orchid too, the scent is

actually very nice.

Dry ~ The scent has become this wonderful blend of fruit and floral, the

original punch of sweetness that it had earlier is gone.

What I thought might be just a scent for the summer has changed my mind

and I can now see using it year round.

Fade ~ After an hour and half the scent has faded, but I would not be in

need of a reapplication. The scent has not changed and I would have to say

I am quite impressed with it.

Final thoughts ~ I am not an overall fan of fruit scents and I generally

tend to stay away from them. I think I have put off really trying this scent

because of the initial fruity smell from the vial. Once again I am reminded

not to judge a scent without at least trying it first, because this

fragrance goes beyond it's initial smell. On a scale of 1 to 5 -> 5

This is quite a nice blend. Initially I could smell FRUIT FRUIT FRUIT, especially the apricot, but in a few seconds my nose started picking up on the rose note, and the warmth of the musk. I like how Yerevan is blended.

There is something about it on my skin that reminds me of some deodorant I've used in the past, except about 348 times classier. I could actually see myself wearing this as a perfume, perhaps. Perhaps. But I'm not certain enough to keep it around; it kind of reminds me of middle/high school [extreme awkwardness and the painful sarcasm of youth - I do not miss you.]

Hopefully someone else will appreciate Yerevan for all it has to offer.

Sweet, sugared fruit and light musk are the dominant notes here. This is sweet and tangy.

On, it's the smell of fruit ripe to splitting, dripping with syrup, and the sweet intoxicating scent of huge pink roses. This comes as a bit of a surprise, considering the rose isn't really detectable to me in the bottle. Apricot seems to be the dominant fruit note, rose and orchid the dominant flower notes, and everything else is cruising along in the background.

This doesn't smell that much like it, but it reminds me of Fae in approach. The fruit/floral/musk construction is parallel in nature, but Yerevan goes about it differently. Apricot is naturally a dirtier scent than peach, which it resembles. Here, what must be the roots pair with the apricot to give it a little depth that, in Fae, is supplied by the oakmoss.

At first the sweetness is almost overpowering. This is a scent that would do well diluted! As it settles back, it becomes less about the individual notes fighting to overpower one another and melts into one smooth aroma: imagine a hot wind coming out of an orchard laden with fresh and fallen fruits, an orchard circled by wildly blossoming flowers. It's heady, rich, and almost too much to bear.

The drydown is more subtle, musk and white florals with a faint whiff of fruit, as though the overzealous sweetness and the wild rose smell have finally burned themselves out. It's not an overpowering floral, though; I can't typically wear either orchid or iris, but this is staying stable and not turning to powder.

Fans of fruit scents, especially the thicker ones, would do well to look into Yerevan. It's very well balanced and very beautiful.

781027265_u25cp-Ti.jpg

ETA: This review is for Old Yerevan...

Imp: Oh man, I love Beth's pomegranate note! And this one comes with apricot too -- another favorite! This is heaven in a bottle, I'm telling you...

Wet: This is my personal bliss...luscious fruity goodness, with a small underlying note of rose. The apricot/pomegranate combination is so juicy and tartly fresh, but isn't overpowering the florals totally. The rose, another favorite, holds its own quite well in this blend: it's there, but in a supporting role to the fruit notes.

Dry: This blend has remained true to its notes from the bottle to the drydown, and it lasts quite nicely on me. I didn't need to renew it for almost 6 hours, and its throw was enough that I didn't need to keep my wrist to my nose to smell it. Also, it is a good scent locket blend, as it doesn't change that much on my skin so as to make the scent pad smell 'off.'

Verdict: This is a lovely, warm and seductive summer scent which I shall enjoy wearing over and over. This ranks highly in my personal list of blends to always keep around.

ADDED April 3:

781027267_RTM6b-Ti.jpg

ETA: This review is for the newer blend

:P I’m lucky enough to have two bottles of this scent: one with the original Old Yerevan label, and a bottle of the newer bottling, with just the name “Yerevan,” which I bought from the lab just prior to this scent’s discontinuance.. There’s a very slight alcoholic note in this bottle (at least to my nose), making this a sort of apricot/pomegranate wine perfume, but it’s not overpowering by any means. If my bottle of Old Yerevan is anything to judge by, this is one of those perfume blends which only gets better with age. Yum -- what a good time I have to look forward to!

Edited by stellans

Oh, my. After the initial blast of FRUIT! -- not fakey fruit, but real fruit, fuzzy and hanging in the sun -- the musk comes forward, making everything very earthy and curiously (to me) sexy. Maybe an untended, natural grove just doing its thing. I love how the peach note is managed in this blend, and kept from taking over, but still allowed to strut its stuff with Sister Apricot alongside. This goes slightly powdery for me in the drydown, and would probably take reapplication, but this is a lovely way to get your peach scent on without smelling like a Fuzzy Navel. Nice to have around for summer, too, both because of the notes and because it's a light, non-obtrusive scent after the initial fruit blast.

Fruity and nice, but there's this bizarre, familiar, sweet plasticky note that I recognize from... Thalia & The Hanging Gardens. Bwuh? Those two both have pear & plumeria in common, but this has neither; this & Hanging Gardens both have pomegranate, but that is absent in Thalia. I am highly confused.

Sadly, that note seems to be strongest here, and so I am forced to pass!

Wet: Yummy pomegranates and...almonds? Odd.

Dry: Okay now it's morphed and is mostly apricots but they smell artificial to me. Remind me of flavored antibiotics I had to take as a kid. I'm not getting any florals at all.

Liked the wet stage but the association is too strong.

In the imp: This is very fruity (apricots? peaches? is that a hint of grape - must be the pomegranate), but with something creamy in the background.

On the wrist: Whoa! Fruit! The apricots are strong in this one, backed by wild rose and a little of the perfume-smell of orchid and faint musk.

One hour later: The fruitiness has faded considerably, and the orchid intensified. Why does my skin amp orchid? Why? I'm all worried about the latest 13 now :P The musk is very faint, just enough to 'ground'.

Yerevan embarrassed me because I've always been a bit of a geography buff yet I had no idea where it was. :P So I had to try it! This is a very sweet, fruity blend--there's almost a honey note in here that reminds me a bit of Osun or Athens, but it's predominantely fruit. I think it's pomegranate and plum I'm smelling, because there's nothing here that reminds me of the very apricoty BPAL blends like Katharina. Just ripe juicy fruits! No orchid, oddly enough, because orchid usually goes crazy on me. Maybe with a heavier application it'll come out.

Very pretty and late summer-appropriate!

Yerevan:

In the bottle, it smells like apricot with a hint of flowers and earth. It smells delicious.

Everyone else here said that they experienced a scent of strong fruit with earthy undertones when on. I seem to have had an odd experience... it's the complete opposite. As soon as it touched my skin, the apricot almost completely disappeared. It's earthy with some florals and a hint of fruit in the background. It has been hours since it was applied, and it has definitely stuck. A bit different than what I was expecting (fruity usually agrees with me), but it is still lovely.

Edited by Ayamechan