Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Clove, anise, mandarin, and cumin.

Anise is definitely the prominent player here. It's sharp and astringent, lending a rather biting tone to this scent. The clove is underneath, as is the mandarin. I can't detect the cumin very well here, but it may be combining with the clove to provide that spicy edge I'm smelling. Overall, I'm not really a fan of this one, it's way to sharp for me to wear.

I was really excited to try this one based on the clove and the anise. I was a bit nervous about the cumin (it's a note that doesn't work well for me).

Welp...looks like I was right about the cumin. This goes on as a spiced mandarin scent...like Three Witches drizzled over sweet orange slices. After it settles into my skin a bit this turns to crayons and pencil shavings...that would be the cumin. I'm thinking this might do better in an oil burner or as a kitchen scent. This is NOT something I can wear as a perfume.

Oh well. :( Ya can't win all the time!

In Bottle: Orange and anise, with some clove.

Wet on skin: Clove and orange.

Drydown (3 minutes): The orange comes out a bit more. It's a sweet kind of citrus smell, not really sharp at all.

Drydown (5 minutes): Sweet, slightly spicy orange.

Overall Impression: I think I've found an orange scent that I don't mind having on me! The spices are enough to quiet down the orange enough that I can wear it. It's mostly the anise and clove dominating. I don't really smell cumin at all.

A wee bit of clove and anise, which mingle enough to make a kind of root-beer-and-aftershave sort of aroma. Which is not nearly as awesome as it sounds.

I'd stayed away from this originally because of the anise, but I ended up with an imp in an impswap and I'm so glad I did. I don't get a lot of cumin out of this, but I do get the mandarin and clove, and even some anise, which blended with the rest isn't awful at all. Although I can pick out notes pretty clearly, it melds into a lovely sweet spicy tangy scent, and after it sits on my skin for a little while it mellows and gets sweeter. It reminds me of a really nice potpouri, but it is DEAD SEXY potpouri. It's lovely, and the wearlength is pretty good on me.

Pretty much instant top 3. Had I tried this when it was live I would have had like 4 bottles.

What a lovely, lovely pomander scent!

I was worried at first that it might be a bit too "Christmas craft" to be worn as a fragrance, but after a few minutes the mandarin note fades away - not that I'd had minded if it had stuck around, far from it - and I am left with a delicious spice blend.

As Miaiphonos dries down, the anise note that was so prominent during the wet stage recedes in the background. The end result is a pretty mellow clove blend, with just enough anise and cumin to keep things interesting.

imp/wet: this smells really hot, like if you took a bite it would light your mouth on fire. i know ginger isn't listed, but this smells like ginger covered manderin, the ginger must be the clove.

drydown/dry: it softens up, and now smells like gum drops to me.

overall: not for me, off to swaps.

Miaiphonos is quite scary in the bottle. Maybe because i was aware of the notes all i can detect is a strong, spicy cumin. Delicious but intimidating. My mom gave it a blind sniff and guessed licorice and oranges, her nose is usually p on point. She tried it on and first there is an upswelling of cumin that fades into a gorgeous heady spiced orange tea. The cumin is still detectable to me at the edges, giving it a slightly metallic tone that makes "blood stained" seem like a fitting title. I can see how folks might get a holiday spiced vibe out of this, but it's a very grown up, classy holiday spice imo. Def not the yankee candle type as some spiced blends tend to remind me of.