Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

How do you apply your BPAL oils?

I love the wand caps and I've been buying a few sets every order until I get all my bottles changed over. I can't be trusted to apply by tipping the bottle.. I'm a klutz and I've dumped too much on me a few times!

Wand caps prevent the spillage of the precious! :lol:

Wow! Wand caps. Hmmm. I have one bottle with a wand cap and it always surprises me that it's in there so I practically spill the bottle! Aged Dorian. It would be a tragedy! :ack:

I bought some glass rods from an aromatherapy place with some of my other decanting supplies. I stick an end of the wand in the bottle, apply here and there but always cleavage and hair. Then I wipe off the glass rod with a microfiber towel.

I found out recently that Wulric the Wolfman really requires a LOT of rolling. I made a decant, noticed it smelled a little bland and didn't look dark like I remembered. Lo and behold all the chocolately goodness had sunk way to the bottom and really had to be coaxed up. Same thing with Boomslang.

I love the wand caps! They make it sooooooo much easier to apply the precious, even when I am putting oil into my oil burner, it is easier to drip the oil from the wand. I just cannot be trusted to tip the bottle over :lol:

Edited by ltrittipoe

I might be a bit idiotic, (or even a lot, depending who you ask)-- but this is what I do with my definite keeper bottles: I put the edge of the bottle at my skin (not the actual rim, mind you, just the outer edge), and then I carefully drizzle a narrow-ish stream of oil along my inner forearm, from wrist to elbow crook. I then drag said forarm against the other, and use them both to spread the oil along my chest and the sides of my neck (and maybe behind the knees if I'm wearing a dress or skirt).

This method only works well with BPAL, in my experience. Other brands dribble everywhere-- which is a sad, sad thing indeed.

I might be a bit idiotic, (or even a lot, depending who you ask)-- but this is what I do with my definite keeper bottles: I put the edge of the bottle at my skin (not the actual rim, mind you, just the outer edge), and then I carefully drizzle a narrow-ish stream of oil along my inner forearm, from wrist to elbow crook. I then drag said forarm against the other, and use them both to spread the oil along my chest and the sides of my neck (and maybe behind the knees if I'm wearing a dress or skirt).

This method only works well with BPAL, in my experience. Other brands dribble everywhere-- which is a sad, sad thing indeed.

My husband does it this way and he makes me nervous everytime...but the method works well for him! ^_^ If I were to attempt such a thing I'd likely end up dropping the bottle in my lap or something :lol:

My husband does it this way and he makes me nervous everytime...but the method works well for him! ^_^ If I were to attempt such a thing I'd likely end up dropping the bottle in my lap or something :lol:

Oh, there has been at least one very tragic mishap. I was in a major hurry for some reason, and a healthy splash of oil ended up on the linoleum. Not a dribble, not just "some"-- a goddam splash. I actually heard it hit the floor.

It was a slow motion moment. And I still don't know WTF or HTF--- it was like I had some kind of an involuntary spasm-- only I didn't. I was just in what they call "a big hurry to f#@k up."

And did I learn a lesson? Yeah. Don't rush the perfume ritual. :lol:

Normally I'm not rushing when I apply BPAL, though... partly because I usually wear oils in the evening. I also try to stay away from them when I'm anything other than calm... there's just too much at stake!! You know how they say not to drive angry? That's how I am about my oils. :blush:

Edited by Indig0

Holy crap, I do not have the balls to try that. :ack:

Or putting the mouth of the bottle against my arm and just upending it. You guys are brave, and I am impressed.

I roll the bottle and dab generously from the lid, and I usually have to do it two or three times to get enough, but that's really the only way I feel comfortable doing it so far. Wandcaps are kind of sounding like the way to go, though... I'll definitely have to add a couple to my next order. (Though, does anyone else notice that some wands in the imps are really rough and others aren't? I have a few imps that I almost dislike using because the plastic wand has some slight protrusions that like to poke and scrape me).

I did use Q-tips for a very short time (they steal too much of my oil for themselves, the fluffy bastards).

I found out recently that Wulric the Wolfman really requires a LOT of rolling. I made a decant, noticed it smelled a little bland and didn't look dark like I remembered. Lo and behold all the chocolately goodness had sunk way to the bottom and really had to be coaxed up. Same thing with Boomslang.

It seems like many of the chocolate blends need lots of gentle mixing. Cocoa must be heavy. Gula bath oil separates too.

.....oh.....i reckon you can tell i'm new, cuz i just put the bottle to my wrist and turn it upside down, then rub the oil on the "hairy" part of my lower arm (the wee hairs seem to help the fragrance stay longer and give it a bit more throw than the underside of my arm) that way I have some on my wrists and on my lower arm.....but after reading the above, I'm sure that after my first mishap I'll be switching THAT way of doing things! I have one wand cap and constantly forget that it's in there and every time i open it I almost knock it out of my own hand because I forget it's there....go figure.

.....oh.....i reckon you can tell i'm new, cuz i just put the bottle to my wrist and turn it upside down, then rub the oil on the "hairy" part of my lower arm (the wee hairs seem to help the fragrance stay longer and give it a bit more throw than the underside of my arm) that way I have some on my wrists and on my lower arm.....but after reading the above, I'm sure that after my first mishap I'll be switching THAT way of doing things! I have one wand cap and constantly forget that it's in there and every time i open it I almost knock it out of my own hand because I forget it's there....go figure.

I think plenty of veterans (people way more experienced than me) put the bottle on their skin and turn it upside down. I'm just afraid to do it!

The small hairs of one's arm amplifying the scent? Hm. I haven't thought of that. I've never been particularly pleased with the way my BPAL smells on the inside, smooth part of my arm (so most of it goes on my neck), but I may have to give that a try!

(Though, does anyone else notice that some wands in the imps are really rough and others aren't? I have a few imps that I almost dislike using because the plastic wand has some slight protrusions that like to poke and scrape me).

Yes! I have some imps that leave red lines on my arm due to their scratchy plastic. At first I thought it was just happening with decants, but I've had it happen with lab imps too.

I use a pipette , squeeze up a little , put a drop or two on each wrist or wherever i want the oil to be placed, then squeeze the rest back into the bottle / imp and then i wash the pipette out by squeezing up soapy water , then shaking it around , then squeezing out!

:D Xx

Eeps, my darling! Soapy water will leave residue in other bottles. If you want to reuse the pipette, wash it in rubbing alcohol. That will clean off absolutely everything and you won't have to worry about any of your other BPALs.

Forgive me if I am being a bit silly, but, i recently ordered a bit of The Coil to help me with my mad scientist cosplay, going as Doktor Sleepless, and later, Doctor Horrible, to some conventions, and figured a bit of mad science cologne wouldn't hurt the effect. I was wondering, for the mad scientist and first-time scent user, what's the best way to apply this, and where i might get some of the necessary supplies...

By the way, i purchased one of the 5ml bottles, just found out about the imp ears today, far too late to order one instead, so, it looks like i better get used to the mad scientist getup...

Edited by Aeolus

I really hate contaminating the oil in an imp or bottle, even if I *know* I'm the only one who will ever use it, so I'm all about the straw-type coffee stirrers. I got a *huge* box of them at Cash & Carry -- I think it's something like a thousand of them, so I'm set for at least a couple of years even if I use one a day, and if I cut them in half, they will last even longer -- for a few bucks. They pull up just the right amount for a nice, healthy slather or Clocket dose. I've been wearing my oils in a Clocket lately due to work restrictions (but today was my last day, for better or worse, so time to break out the mini sprayers again!), and I've gotten so used to using those stirrers to douse the cotton pad that I sometimes find myself using the stirrers even when I'm not wearing the Clocket. I actually have a few unused wand caps I bought over a year ago that I will probably never bother with due to my fears/issues surrounding contamination.

Exception: Sleep scents. I have TKO in a rollerball ('cause, hi, KLUTZ), diluted quite a bit (probably one part TKO to two parts jojoba oil, so it usually works out to about 3ml-ish of TKO in a 10ml rollerball, and then I just fill the rest of the thing up with jojoba oil), and it's *still* pretty powerful stuff. I give my wrists a heavy slather of it just about every night, but I'm the *only* person who uses it, and it's only for sleep purposes, so I don't worry about contamination. I also have a decant of Lilith Victoria that I was using as a sleep scent a couple of times a month, although it's almost empty. I have most of a bottle left, but I'm reluctant to pull another decant out because it's MADE OF AWESOME, so I want it to last as long as possible. I also tend to pull decants of whatever I have a bottle of so I can use oil from a decant instead of a bottle due to air exposure issues, and then I apply from those decants with coffee stirrers. Um, no, I'm not a freaky BPAL user with extensive rituals! Really! I haven't made up a dance yet!

ETA: I forgot to say that I'm probably encouraged to find alternate ways of applying oil other than tip-bottle-slather-wrists because I pretty much can't wear perfume on my wrists. Aside from TKO, anything applied to my wrists smells *wrong*. For example, on my wrists, Dorian smells like flowers and generic soap. I don't know how *flowers* show up there, but they do. Fortunately, my cleavage doesn't have a similar problem.

Edited by meaganola

Another coffee-stirrer user here! Got a giant box of 'em from Sam's. So easy to use and toss! If it's something I use fairly often, and it's rare, I've started to decant it and use from that after having an unfortunate bottle-spill accident. Only takes one...lol.

Allo guysss <3

I have this medicine I'm taking that make me more sensitive to potent scents than usual, but I love my BPAL oils so.

I've been wanting to dilute them into an alcohol base so they don't sicken me to wear, but I cannot find what kind of alcohol product to use and where I could possibly find it, or a good base proportion to use for mixing should I choose to do so.

ANy and all help would be magnificent!

Allo guysss <3

I have this medicine I'm taking that make me more sensitive to potent scents than usual, but I love my BPAL oils so.

I've been wanting to dilute them into an alcohol base so they don't sicken me to wear, but I cannot find what kind of alcohol product to use and where I could possibly find it, or a good base proportion to use for mixing should I choose to do so.

Hi Synthetika!

Have you tried this thread? There is lots of good information about turning oils into alcohol sprays.

Allo guysss <3

Hi Synthetika!

Have you tried this thread? There is lots of good information about turning oils into alcohol sprays.

If it's just the potency of the scent that is giving you problems, you might also want to consider diluting with jojoba oil. That might even be easier for you to get your hands on, and in your particular case, alcohol might even add to your problem. I had a coworker who was fine if I wore oils, but when I used one of my sprayers (about half oil and half perfumers' alcohol), bad things happened for her.

I have a related question, I hope this is the right place to post! After y'all manage to get the oil on your skin, do you rub it in at all? Or just dab it around? I know that shaking the bottle may harm the oils, so I'm wondering if rubbing them into your skin may have the same effect and change the scent at all. Thanks!

I have a related question, I hope this is the right place to post! After y'all manage to get the oil on your skin, do you rub it in at all? Or just dab it around? I know that shaking the bottle may harm the oils, so I'm wondering if rubbing them into your skin may have the same effect and change the scent at all. Thanks!

I rub them in, but I'm not exactly as gentle with my oils as a lot of people around here. I put my middle finger over the opening of the bottle, flip over, and rub in wherever I'm applying. I get pretty good staying power with this method, and scents stay pretty true on me. *shrug*

I don't rub because I've had scents start to smell burned on me when I do. I put the mouth of the bottle sealed over a wrist, flip it over, then dab firmly to the other wrist, insides of elbows, and neck, flipping the bottle over again as needed.

Actually, I was going to ask a similar question-

A friend of mine was sent to a perfume seminar by her employer, as they sold a lot of it. There she was taught to always pat your wrists together, don't rub at them, after applying the perfume to them, because rubbing would unnecesarily destroy the scent. That's how I've been applying my BPAL, but on the other hand it occurred to me the other day that there might be a difference between BPAL perfume oil and mainstream Eau du something or other. Does anyone have anything to add on the subject?

I've been told that the scent bruises if you rub. (don't have the slightest idea what that means) Someone told me to let it dry on its own. I think my scent of the day is wonderful regardless of how I apply it. I tend to be a light dabber because I don't want to announce my intended presence 10 minutes before I enter a room.

How's this for a how to? http://www.ehow.com/how_2034389_apply-perfume-properly.html#

Edited by voodoocatwoman

The woman who owns Aroma Sanctum rubs a scent, but she has a specific reason for it. Your body heat helps to change the scent of the oils on your skin, so if you rub your wrists together you're heating the skin and the oils, and that can jump the scent forward in time, so to speak. She does it all the time when she's creating a new perfume for me because she wants to test how it smells after the initial wetness, when it more accurately smells like it will on you.

I rub a bit, personally. The dry of a scent is about 95% of how it's going to smell on me, and I'd rather get to it. (I also tend to flip the bottle over my wrist.)