Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Upstart Crow

Godfather Death

Olibanum, elemi, Bulgarian rose, yew, and opoponax.

This was a frimp with my latest Trading Post order.

In the imp it's a little hard for me to describe. Sharp, woody, resinous and not entirely pleasant. There's something off-putting and worrisome that I can't put my finger on.

Wet, the sharpness goes very bitter. It's a sticky oil, almost like I rubbed pitch on my wrists. It's bordering on giving me a headache, so I'm trying not to smell it directly. Unfortunately, I amp it up to a big throw.

Dry, it's still sharp wood, bitter, and dour. It's depressing and heavy. While I usually like yew and other woods, this one doesn't work with my body chemistry at all.

This was a frimp.

In the imp it seems sharp, herbal, resiny.

On, it's not so sharp now. I'm getting the beautiful sweet/spicy oppoponax from Old Demons of the First Class plus some woodiness.

I can't detect any rose at all.

I find it very comforting in a dark sort of way. Like a favourite but scratchy old woollen jumper. I'll have to wear it a few times to see if it is bottle-potential and may have death match it against Old Demons but I can see this being a good sleep scent for me.

Imp of unknown age. Probably received as a lab frimp.

In the imp: I'm always bad at describing resiny scents like this. It smells kind of astringent and medicinal with some bitterness from the opopanax in the background.

On my skin it smells... evergreen tree-like, piney, with some "dusty" smelling resins and wood. I can't smell any rose. It smells pretty masculine to me. I do like "evergreen" scents, but I prefer the Yule-type kind that have associated frosty notes or spices. This is just kind of dusty and bitter, and the pine-ish note is fading as it's drying more.

Not my style, but would probably smell good on a guy.

Edited by sunlitgarden

Oh! I LOVE this!! It is closely related to Old Demons, (which I also LOVE) with the spicy, dark, oppoponax, deliciously resiny thing going on. Godfather is even darker, though, more woody, with the barest touch of dried rose. Old Demons is chewier, stickier, with more lift (from clove, musk, and neroli), more like fresh gum resin, where Godfather is more like dried incense, both expertly crafted by a Dark Arts potion master. Dried out....ooooh, it's so wonderfully CREEPY! Like dried roses long abandoned in a dusty, wooden box. It has a nod to classic perfumes, as well...like hiding in a closet of vintage coats.

Godfather Death imp

Wet/Bottle - Kind of dark, musty and resinous. It's hard to detect certain notes exactly.

Wet/Skin (5 minutes) - This smells like mildewy, moldy roses.

Another one I had to wash off before it dried fully -- it was turning my stomach. This blend is wrong, just wrong.

Tested an imp of unknown age that I got as a frimp from a FB order

In Imp: astringent piney spicy yew wood

wet: strong masculine spiced yew wood

dry: just picking up on the strong spicy woods, no rose, do pick up bits of pine

I may keep the imp and test again sometime in the future before it continues the journey to someone else as it is a nice male scent and I am lacking in male scents that stay male with my female chemistry.

I just bought a bottle of this, and it is amazing! :heart: It's spicy, dark, and earthy/woody. Wet, it had a cola smell that threw me off, but on the skin it blossoms into a beautiful scent that makes you feel like (it may sound weird, but..) a witch in a fairy tale. I love this.

This smelled like lime cola, frank and something grossly musty on me. I layered it out of existence on my skin.

Wet: Interesting! Yes, a little like Cola from the opoponax. The yew really comes through as well - if Cola grew on a tree, the tree might smell like this. This smells like a Cola Tree. I kind of like it? Very masculine though. Like a manly man, sitting under a Cola Tree.

Dry: Still The Cola Tree. Which I have grown quite fond of! I know I would never wear this, but I may have a hard time parting with it anyway. I have an imagine in my head of a big, beautiful tree, with happy little red cans growing off of it's branches.... man I'm weird.

The opening is all sweet resins, unlit. Dry is a blend of resins and yew tree, still feeling balmy. Rose joins the mix later on.

I like it, but I can't help wishing it was a bit more complex. It also doesn't last very long.

In the imp: Resins plus rose. The olibanum and elemi notes stand out to me the most.

Wet: Really strong resins with some rose. As it sits on my skin, the frankincense becomes even stronger.

Dry: Mostly strong frankincense and elemi. The rose is still present, but it isn't as prominent as it was before. This is really heavy on the resins.

Verdict: The resins in this are way too strong for me. There would have to be something in here to help tame them in order for me to enjoy it. But the dark resins make sense for a scent named Godfather Death!

Dark and thick. Opoponax tends to amp on me, and it does here, though it's not distracting or painfully strong like black moths was for me. It's herbal and the rose adds a welcome warmth to this.