Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Dracoo9

Snooty Rose

Red rose, oud, plum, bergamot, and red sandalwood.

I could have sworn I reviewed this, but apparently not! I am testing both an aged imp (darker in colour, at least 5 years) and a fresher imp (lighter in colour, of unknown age).

Fresh: Mainly rose, with wood notes and bergamot as it dries. After a little longer something else suddenly emerges (something very citrus and tart) which makes me think it could be plum or even more bergamot trailing behind. It's highlighted the rose here. This Snooty Rose is now a fruitier more "floral" rose which has seemingly left some of the earlier woodier notes behind.

Aged: This still smells of roses but is a little greener/woodier, with a stronger throw. The bergamot and plum are darker, and less bright. It is a warmer scent compared to fresh, and honestly, is lovely and my preferred of the two. I generally don't love florals, but aged, Snooty Rose takes on a different feel. The complement of the aged oud/sandalwood is wonderful and warms the rose in it beautifully.

Verdict: Fresh from the lab, Snooty Rose is brighter, fruitier and more traditionally floral. Aged, Snooty Rose is warmer and accentuated by woody notes.  The aged one reminds me a bit of Between Your Heart and Mine without the vanilla.

Edited by Ina Garten Davita

Testing some random imps this week, and today I grabbed Snooty Rose. I have a love/hate relationship with the Lab's rose scents. Some are straight up soap on me, but when I find one that works, it works wonderfully. Snooty Rose is in the latter category.

I got a blast of pure red rose upon  application, and could immediately tell that this was going to be a winner. The rose is deep red, no greenery, lush and velvet. The sandalwood is perfect and grounds the rose, blending together into a thing of deep beauty. I think the oud is blended in so well that it adds to the depth without standing out. I can smell a hint of plum too, but no bergamot. 

This scent is a big winner and I'm glad that I finally tried an imp! I know I have several more of them stashed away, and will be getting them out in the spring.

Got this as a frimp - I'd ordered some rosey scents so it might have been sent along as a "try this, you'll probably like it" imp... and if that's the case, they were right!

On opening it smells like such a fresh, dewy, beautiful rose, there's one in my grandmother's garden that smells exactly like this, it has these huge flowers and as a child I would shove my whole face in it... in the imp, that's exactly what I get.

On skin, the rose is still very potent but the woody notes of the oud and sandalwood come through without being overwhelming, instead they just gently ground it. No plum or bergamot initially, but with time this beautifully tart sweetness comes through. All the notes play together very nicely together, and my skin seems to like them too - nothing going soapy or otherwise weird on me! I might have to go for a full bottle of this one.

Oh hi, red sandalwood from Anne Bonny! A smooth, ruddy kind of incensey sandalwood blooms along with a smear of deep red rose perfume, but this is not a rose bomb as it could have been. I barely know there is oud or bergamot at this party. They are such quiet notes, and that can't always be said about oud. Nor, indeed, about rose! This rose is mature and perfumey to my nose, which is probably the oud at work, taking that loud rosiness and drawing it down into darker, more aromatic depths. (No need to fear pooud here, either.)

Let's talk about the plum, shall we? It's a drop. It's a very very soft hint of the purple fruit that we all know and that I love. As the rose burns off more and more, the plum emerges as a middle note woven into the deep base of sandalwood and oud. I am getting a little bit of the fuzziness too that bergamot can bring, without any specifically citrus notes. The plum here is a mere accessory; this is not a very plummy blend, alas, but it helps transforms the rose into something more elevated, I think.

I like this one a lot but don't love it enough to bottle. The Elephant is Slow to Mate or Nimue the Blood Queen are both more plummy kinds of perfumes that I gravitate towards, and Snooty Rose is just a little pallid compared with the love I have for those.

Rose, that's it haha. My imp might be super aged and that's why I can't smell anything else? It's also pretty faint and very perfumey smelling, not like a fresh rose. 

I definitely prefer the Frostbitten version of this: that one is frost and plum mostly. This was just okay, won't be upgrading but it's not bad at all. I just really like plum and was hyping myself up for it.

Unsurprisingly, this is a very rose-forward perfume. Honestly, I would've been disappointed if it wasn't. This is definitely a red rose, still on the stem, very fresh and green. But this is one that changes as you wear it for sure. If you like rose and aren't averse to a light, inoffensive oud, you will likely enjoy this.

In Bottle: Rose, rose, rose! The plum is slightly detectable, giving it a bit of fruitiness along with the fresh green accompanying the rose. The bergamot is not detectable on its own, but may be blended into the plum. No oud or sandalwood detectable at this stage. 

On Skin: Almost identical to in the bottle, but the oud starts to show itself just a bit.

Dry Down: The rose fades gracefully and the oud amps. The fruity notes have disappeared entirely. Sandalwood isn't detectable on its own, but is likely blended in with the oud. When all is said and done this is very much a rose & oud perfume, almost perfectly balanced.

Wear Time: 5-6hrs

Throw: Light/Medium (4-6in)

A beautiful rose with an undertone of jammy plum and enough wood to keep it from going insipid. In the tube, the rose is pretty much all that I get, but on the skin the plum slowly amps. It's an intriguing balance suitable for all occassions, and surprisingly ungendered as rose scents go.

I can pick up a little of everything here, other than bergamot, which is unusual for me! Normally just one or two notes will jump out. But yes, of course, strong rose.

Ah, there we are: almost entirely rose on skin, though there's a woody note present as well. On drydown i get some of the plum back, but it's not the juicy plum I've enjoyed in other blends; instead it's a very dark purple-black note mixed in with dusty woods.

Overall impression is a lush rose in another very dry perfume. I agree with the above comment: not a particularly feminine rose!   

I love Snooty Rose, it's a beautiful rich rose balanced by dark, rich plum and warm woods that keep it from going sweet.

However, I almost never wear it, generally only with something else layered over it, because it's the rare scent that smells almost the same on me and my sister, and roses are one of her scents, so I keep having my brain try to figure out where she is. Scent associations are fascinating like that!

This is a scent that definitely reinforces that plum tends to work really nicely on me though!

A gorgeous pink velvety rose. Not stemmy or green at all, just a slightly sugared rose! The plum adds a lovely deeper sugar note to this.