Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Alchemist

Darkest orchid and general orchid discussion

I 've ordered Shadow Witch Orchid. However, it doesn't seem so dark to me. Is there an alternative distinct orchid smell with a darkest, shadowy note ?

There is. And I feel kind of bad for recommending it because it's definitely become a lot more difficult to get a bottle of lately. But if you see a decant or bottle definitely snap up some of The Emathides: black amber, black orchid, black currant, olive blossom, wood violet, lavender, blue musk, rose attar, and cedar.

An easier to find LE is Lunar Eclipse: Red musk, black currant, violet leaf, wild frankincense, lavender, black orchid, Darjeeling tea, vetiver, red moss, myrrh, Moroccan spices, blackened fruit gums, and tobacco. I find it a lot more of a musky/tea/fruit gum scent but it is very distinctly a dark, smoky orchid on my best friend.

But then, of course, why recommend limited editions when there is an ever expanding general catalogue?

Event Horizon Black opium, labdanum, opoponax, black orchid, and benzoin

Dark and a little sweet and sticky from the opium/benzoin combo.

Medea Night-blooming cereus, black orchid, black currant and myrtle leaf enshrouded in the incense of Hecate's cypress and myrrh, and the dark rage of magickal labdanum and intoxicating poppy.

This is like a dark, herbal, raging orchid. Personally I find it a little too harsh for my taste but that may be the extra kick of darkness you're looking for.

Manhattan sheer amber, black leather, white mint, lemon peel, white tea, grapefruit, kush, teakwood and orchid.

A combination of dark and light notes. If you like I Married A Vampire From Planet X or any sort of paradoxical scents this might be a good bet for you.

Edited by paperrose

Also try Dark Delicacies for a subtler kind of dark--not heavy, a little watery even, but with distinct resins and coconut that back up the floral.

Also try Dark Delicacies for a subtler kind of dark--not heavy, a little watery even, but with distinct resins and coconut that back up the floral.

Mmm, yes, I was going to say that too! I never even liked orchids but Dark Delicacies changed my mind about it.

Oberon is not really that dark but the patchouli in there gives it something earthy and a little sinister I think.

Event Horizon

A disconcerting scent, heavy and oppressive, through which no light, no matter, and no spirit can escape. Black opium, labdanum, opoponax, black orchid, and benzoin.

Mircalla

Languid, melancholy fire: red musk, purple orchid, frankincense, smoky vanilla, Styrian herbs, peru balsam, tonka, Zanzibar clove, and patchouli.

(LE--but you may still find it on sale/swap pages)

Eshe

Embalming herbs, black myrrh, white sandalwood, black orchid, paperwhites, tomb dust, and Moroccan jasmine

(Since the CD is dark, you may be able to find a decant around here)

Lamia

Deadly elegance: pale orchid, vanilla amber, black currant, white peach, champaca, coconut, Arabian myrrh, Burmese vetiver, and oude

If you can find them, both of the Black Orchid prototypes are heavy on the orchid. I personally prefer v5 (patchouli and orchid to my nose) over v3 (vetiver and orchid to my nose).

Two of the LE Moths and Butterflies have orchid, in the Moths it's Brahmin and in the Butterflies it's Blue Morpho.

Also The Salon has three, Madonna, Bat, and Three Brides.

And Oberon, from Illyria.

Edited by stellamaris

Hey all, I recently fell in love with Great Vampire Bat and have decided that orchids is a floral note that I am obsessed with. Anyone with good recommendations of blends where the orchids take center stage? I love the sound of Black Butterfly Moon, since I am looking for the 'dark' orchid blends, but any other not-to-be-missed ones out there? I looked to see if a thread had been started on this lovely floral but I didn't see one. If I was wrong, feel free to merge mods! Thanks so much!

Quite a few of the LE spring scents have orchid, Juniper Hairstreak, White Peacock, AeAgepti, and Tanuki No Yachui, and also a couple of GCs, Lamia, La Petit Mort and Medea.

Shadow Witch Orchid is (discontinued and very hard to find, like really hard to find) imo one of the best orchid scents out there. Bpal orchid scents where the orchid really takes center stage are rather rare. Other Bpals with orchid:

GC: Manhattan - sheer amber, black leather, white mint, lemon peel, white tea, grapefruit, kush, teakwood and orchid.

Rather hard to find LE: Clockwork Couture Female - Leather, golden amber, vanilla orchid, Spanish moss, Oxford clay, and tonka.

A bit easier to find LE: Celeste - Madagascan vanilla bean, vanilla orchid, orris root, and saffron.

A luper from this year: Lady in Speckled Pink Kimono - Peony blossoms and vanilla orchid. *very pink!*

There are also some prototypes with orchids but I have no idea how difficult they are to find: Black Orchid v3, Black Orchid v5 are some of them.

Looking through the search engine I have narrowed it down to wanting to try Black Butterfly Moon, Medea, Queen Mab, Lamia, and Ile de la Tortue. I really want the smokey/earthy/orchid combo. Lady in a speckled pink kimono sounds too sweet and pink, Manhattan has lemon and tea, both doom notes for my skin. :( perhaps when the etsy site hits the 'B' section black orchid will be among them. As for Le petite Morte, I have it, but it reads more powder then anything on me. Ahhhh.... the tragedy of falling in love with a super rare (GVB). Truly is a gorgeous scent. But thank you lovely ladies for your suggestions!

Marae is another LE orchid scent with incense!

Edited by orata

This one is an unsung hero(ine?) of BPAL the orchid family:

Lune Noire: black orchid, jonquil, white pear, white amber, gardenia, olibanum, champaca, sweet clove, tonka, oakmoss, and blue musk.

If it likes your skin, it is truly an otherworldly scent. Also, Beth's Black Moon from last year:

Black Moon: black orchid, motia attar, mugwort, English pear, jonquil, violet leaf, myrrh, opoponax, crystal musk, ylang ylang, and 5-year aged patchouli.

I know the myrrh and resins may make it sound heavy, but they're more of a mysterious veil in the backdrop. It's a much more ethereal scent than the note listing might suggest.

I agree that Black Moon '11 is a spectacular orchid blend, probably my favorite! You mentioned looking for a smoky earthy orchid, and that describes how Black Moon is on my skin to a T.

Other deep, dark orchid blends I like include:

Lunar Eclipse

Red musk, black currant, violet leaf, wild frankincense, lavender, black orchid, Darjeeling tea, vetiver, red moss, myrrh, Moroccan spices, blackened fruit gums, and tobacco.

Lamia

Deadly elegance: pale orchid, vanilla amber, black currant, white peach, champaca, coconut, Arabian myrrh, Burmese vetiver, and oude.

(I see you already know about this blend - but yeah, it's awesome!)

I haven't tried the following two (they are discontinued) but if you can track some down it seems like they are in the same vein:

Shadow Witch Orchid

Orchid tubers have been used extensively by witches in their love philtres, both to promote amorous attention and the attainment of true love, and, conversely, to wither misplaced passions and sever romantic bonds. This perfume is a dusky orchid, subdued and ethereal.

Black Dahlia

Voluptuous magnolias strewn over orchid, star jasmine, black amber and smoky rose.

Edited by braybrigade

I agree that Black Moon '11 is a spectacular orchid blend, probably my favorite! You mentioned looking for a smoky earthy orchid, and that describes how Black Moon is on my skin to a T.

Other deep, dark orchid blends I like include:

Lunar Eclipse

Red musk, black currant, violet leaf, wild frankincense, lavender, black orchid, Darjeeling tea, vetiver, red moss, myrrh, Moroccan spices, blackened fruit gums, and tobacco.

Lamia

Deadly elegance: pale orchid, vanilla amber, black currant, white peach, champaca, coconut, Arabian myrrh, Burmese vetiver, and oude.

(I see you already know about this blend - but yeah, it's awesome!)

I haven't tried the following two (they are discontinued) but if you can track some down it seems like they are in the same vein:

Shadow Witch Orchid

Orchid tubers have been used extensively by witches in their love philtres, both to promote amorous attention and the attainment of true love, and, conversely, to wither misplaced passions and sever romantic bonds. This perfume is a dusky orchid, subdued and ethereal.

Black Dahlia

Voluptuous magnolias strewn over orchid, star jasmine, black amber and smoky rose.

I am so regretting that Shadow Witch Orchid is discontinued. :( more for my ISO I guess.

You are looking for the same think as me! A dark, mysterious, resiny black orchid! I love la petit mort! And have black dalia coming:)

There is a shower gel, (caress?) like a midnight orchid, black orchid, patchouli, vanilla... Hmmm

I have been imp searching for something like that!