Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
motdakasha

Dark Chocolate and Cherry

Of the entire 2009 chocolate box, this is the scent that came closest to working on me. Actually, it did work for a few hours, where I got a gorgeous tart cherry pie filling on a dark background… just enough to be mouthwatering. The dark chocolate didn't read as chocolate, per se, mostly as depth.

After a few hours, it turned into something else entirely, something a little powdery and dry, a little sour… it's probably a skin chemistry problem but not a terrible one.

I'm torn--it might be worth keeping this scent for the initial juicy cherry filling stage; I just wouldn't be able to count on it as a long-termer.

i will preface this by saying that i don't like foody blends. however, i will also say that for some reason i had to get a decant of this blend, it's been haunting me for about a month now.

in the imp: a bright red cherry followed by the faintly plastic chocolate smell that i associate with the lab's chocolate note in the bottle.

wet: wow, this is good. it's the same red cherry note from suck it and bloody mary followed by one of the best chocolate notes that i've gotten in a blend from the lab.

dry: the lab's cherry note sometimes goes sweet-tart on me like koolaid (which is fine for me, i like that smell) but this stays pretty true to a candied cherry scent. the chocolate remains sort of an impression of chocolate instead of a full chocolate note but it does ground the blend. close to skin it reminds me vaguely of mason and jenkin's port jelly, and the throw occassionally goes a little cough syrupy. however, this is a gorgeous red sticky foody blend, and i think this will be put back onto my iso list because i'm going to need more for the winter.

In the bottle: Uh-oh...cherry cough syrup.

Wet: Still a bit sickly sweet/medicinal, but I'm starting to smell the chocolate.

Dry: After about ten minutes, this is a dead ringer for cherry Tootsie Pops! Not quite the dark cherry cordial I was hoping for, but still totally cute and fun. It'll get lots of wear from me--but around Halloween, not Valentine's. :)

Edited by Aisha

This is one of my 'holy grail' scents and is hasent disappointed me! In the bottle: deep dark cherry with smooth dark chocolate under it. On me the cherry brightens up smelling exactly like the inside of the cherry cordials I so love from godiva. Rich, deep and sweet. The dark chocolate gets even richer and creamier. Yummy. And it has serious lasting power on my skin. And best of all, my skin doesn't suck up the cherry and make it disappear!

This has a delicious dark and syrupy, almost boozy cherry note. It's definitely a candied black cherry rather than the brighter red maraschino, or maybe there's some maraschino in there but it's predominantly a rich sticky black cherry. I get mostly the cherry on my skin though I can tell there is some dark chocolate under there deepening it. It makes me think of a mixture of cherry cordial and Godiva Liqueur. I was putting off getting a bottle of this forever but I'm glad I finally did. :D

Oh this is just too nummy to be true!! It's like slathering on a chocolate cherry cordial, syrup and all (although I smell more milk chocolate than dark chocolate).

I lurve Dark Chocolate and Cherry. I really, really do. It smells exactly like it says, like a box full of Godiva Dark chocolate covered cherries. And it lasts. Oh my lord, does it last.

I love to layer this one with my other scents and my favorite combo is over Aperotos Eros. I love what they do for one another. It's absolutely divine. I literally can't stop smelling myself when I combine the two! :D Today, I layered this over Snake Oil and equally love it so. This adds a bit of sexy sweetness and a little extra oomph to whatever your wearing. (as long as you enjoy the soft chocolatey, smooth cherry notes with a touch of milkiness)

I really didn't think I'd like it as I'm NOT a fan of foody fragrances, but there is something so smooth and sexy about this one; It is just SO right. It has a bit of a darker side to it that I adore. And that gives it just enough decadence for my taste. So glad I have a 5ml.

Edited by mimieux

No big review here, because this is just too good.

Boozy cordial cherries, heavy on the dark chocolate, slightly bitter in the bottle but warm, delicious and everything I dreamed it would be on my skin. I pray that other reviewers comments on its lasting power are true, because I'd be happy smelling like this FOREVER!!

I love it so!

Edited by Wren12

This is the most disappointing scent I've tried in a long time, especially when it comes to expectation (two notes that should be full of win) versus reality (woe).

I don't know if it is a batch variation, or aging, or what, but this one actually smells gross to me. It has a stealth corn chip-y note that I believe is champaca combined with boozy cherry. I don't get chocolate from this, and my partner thought it smelled weird and not like the notes involved, too, so it's not just my sniffer.  And it didn't smell like there was any chocolate in the bottle, either. The corn chip note was so strong that I wanted to wash it off, but I couldn't because I applied it in the afternoon while I was still working and had to deal with it.

I so wanted this one to work as I love chocolate and I love cherry, but this is the worst cherry scent I have ever tried from the Lab. I weep.