Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
foundmyhappyplace

Love a Victoria's Secret fragrance? Looking for a BPAL cousin to it?

I discovered Victoria's Secret "Amber Romance" scent when I won a basket of it at a funraiser. I have learned to luv this smell and get many compliments on it. I am usually NOT a vanilla person at all. I think it makes one smell like a big cookie. Anyway, the descriptions of "O" remind me of AR.

Does anyone that has smelled AR care to share if these scents are at all similar to you?

O is lighter and purer, more simple, and it smells like warm honey rather than vanilla, at least on my skin. It's still very warm and quite sweet, like Amber Romance, but not nearly as heavy.

You said you "learned to luv" Amber Romance -- did you have problems wearing it at first? I did. I smelled it on someone else and went straight out and bought the entire line without trying it on first, only to find that it suffocates and overwhelms me. I get a strong alcohol-like, hair spray like smell in Amber Romance for the first hour or so that is not present in O. I still wear Amber Romance sometimes because I know how good it smells to other people, though.

I put O behind my ears, down my neck, in my cleavage, on my low abdomen, behind my knees, on the arch of my foot, and in my hair- and I still want more on.

Sorry, rambling impressions, hope this helped.

I too, was a lover of Amber Romance after receiving it as a gift a few years ago. But it was so strong when I wore it that it overwhelmed not only me, but everyone within 20 feet of me, so I stopped wearing it.

I might have to try O too now, if it's just as good but not as overwhelming. Thank you both for sharing your thoughts on it. :P

O is definitely not overwhelming. I lavished myself with it last night and went to a hot, sweaty club, so I was definitely throwing the scent, and it didn't overwhelm me or the people with me.

I never owned Amber Romance but I remember trying it on at VS and finding it a bit cloying after a bit... pretty, but just a bit too, too much. But O is perfect.

Amber Romance is very, uh, amber--very sweet, too; according to their site it has sandalwood and creme anglaise, but it seems a bit like honey to me, too. I did a Lab search for amber-dominant sweet feminine scents and came up with:

Imp

Haunted

O

Sin

upcoming Blood Amber

Now...I haven't tried any of these, although some are on my wish list. So for those who have tried them, which seem the most likely for her?

Aureus is very ambery, but not particularly sweet - at least not in a vanilla way. It depends on your skin chemistry if it's going to sweeten up or not. It goes sweetish spicy on my friend, and just a tiny bit sweet and woody on me. It's one of my favorites.

Old Kathmandu is very ambery, too. It's not as strong as Aureus and has some mellow spices (rather than spicy spices, like cinnamon). She might like that one, too.

old kathmandu wasn't sweet on me at all.

personally, i would try o. imp is very fruity-sweet, not honey-sweet, but i think you might try that as well just in case o doesn't work out.

Imp

Haunted

O

Sin

I haven't been near a commercial perfume blend for 10 years or so and have no idea what the VS scent smells like, but the above blends are to die for. They are all favorites of mine and I love amber. You can't go wrong with any of them.

ETA: Old Morroco is also a very lovely blend. I'm not sure if it has Amber in it though.

Edited by lorajc

I've tried all of these! :P

Imp is patchouli with a sweet juicy edge, so unless you know she likes patchouli anyway that might not be a goer. I love Imp, it's my only 10ml (will be getting more though!)

Haunted...that might be worth trying for her. It's mellow and clear, but warm.

O is spiced honey and is lovely and clear, not sticky at all. I can't imagine anyone not liking O!

Sin is spicy - another patchouli one.

She might prefer Haunted or O if she is after the amber. :D

I used to wear Amber Romance daily. Kind of a signature scent....mostly just because we share the name.

I haven't really found a BPAL scent that is very similar. I personally can't really wear O and don't see a similarity to Amber Romance.

Honestly...if I had to pick the BPAL that suited Amber Romance best I'd have to say Old Morocco. They have a similar warmth and sweetness.

Of the ones you listed, I really smell no resemblence. I think that the reason is that "Amber Romance" doesn't really have an authentic amber smell to it.

That's a good point, Amberbella--they call it that, but amber isn't listed in the notes on the site at all. Weird.

You guys are so helpful! I'll add Old Moracco to the list and give her several different ones to try. I have ulterior motives here--I want all my friends addicted. :P

My friend used to wear the original Victoria perfume by Victoria's Secret, and her stash finally ran out. I recently introduced her to BPAL and she really likes the idea of it! I Googled Victoria and I can't find any description of the notes, but I was hoping some of you genius perfume wizards are familiar with the scent and could provide some similar oil recommendations! Thanks in advance! :P

I'm drawing blanks. According to Basenotes, it was released in 1989, and that let me track down this description from Scent Profile by Jan Moran Author Fabulous Fragrances II © 2006:

From the leaders in lacy lingerie, Victoria's Secret, comes Victoria, a romantic floral fragrance. The rich bouquet features bright fruity notes blended with a tender floral heart and balanced with the sensuous essence of lingering woods. Victoria is presented in scarlet red heart-motif bottles--for romantic moods and soft, feminine wear. Let it capture your heart.

That's pretty damn vague, but it sounds like it's a standard citrusy topnote, floral heart, woody drydown. Perfume reviewers usually judge scents by spraying it on a sheet of paper and seeing how it develops. Since *all* perfume changes with our skin chemistry, that's not going to give clear details as to how the scent really works. Can you describe what it smells like on your friend, or can she pick up any particular notes out of her favorite scent?

Lacking details, I'd throw Queen Mab, Psyche, Xiuhtechutli, maybe Belle Epoque and a couple other classic florals at her to see if anything is in the right neighborhood. FWIW, if she haunts ebay, it looks like some Victoria is still out there available for sale.

Kalli

Thanks so much for the recommendations! My friend currently is totally out of perfume and hasn't been able to pick out specific notes but we actually did track some Victoria down on eBay a couple of days ago! As soon as it arrives I'm going to sniff it and try to find a similar BPAL that way. But wow, you got further than I have in a week trying to find notes or even a description online, so thank you! That helps a lot. She still wants to try some imps, so I'll definitely be making an order. So far she's tried a few of mine and really liked Velvet, so we might have something there...

You're welcome :P. I'm still feeling lame coz I didn't find much.

The google searches I used were:

"Victoria's Secret" Victoria perfume reviews

"Victoria's Secret" Victoria perfume 1989

The first search got me a date (off of www.basenotes.net, a mass market perfume review site). The second search let me find an e-tailer with the description I gave. The quotes make google search for an exact phrase, the rest gets treated normally. Very often finding the year a scent was released will buy you better quality hits, but not so much this time.

Kalli

i want to get her onto the bpal bandwagon. is there anything reminicent of rapture by v.s.?

According to my quick google, the fragrance Rapture is composed of "exotic florals, amber, and wood".

Now go for it, those who know the BPAL fragrances well!

Hey! I can really help here. I used to work for Vicky's Secret years ago and I can smell Rapture on someone in a 10 mile radius...okay, maybe I'm not that good, but I know the smell.

That puppy has a TON of throw and it is a strong, ambery-woody floral. I would highly suggest Fallen to replace this one. It is the closest I have experienced thus far to its general feel.

Ozymandias has a similar classic-perfume smell. Plus, it's GC so it's super easy to get a hold of.

My boyfriend really likes Victoria's Secret Dream Angels Heavenly on women. I am working on placing my very first order with BPAL (it has taken me days to try and narrow down what I want to sample first) and I was really hoping to find something maybe kinda sorta similar to that one, as a treat for him (yes, I do love treating other people by buying myself things hehe)

The description from the VS site says it is Vanilla, oriental, waterlilly, peony, freesia, iris, violet, poppy, white musk and sandalwood. He is fan of vanilla scents (as am I) so that should really by the.. top note (is that the right term?) and just have some of the other scent listed as like.. accessories.. if that makes sense. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!