Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The scent of sexual obsession, slavery to sensual pleasure, and the undercurrent of innocence defiled utterly. Amber and honey with a touch of vanilla.

Vanilla was the first thing I caught when I smelled it right out of the bottle, and for a minute I was a little unnerved because I thought it seemed like pure vanilla to me, as in the extract. I wasn't sure I wanted to smell like vanilla all day, lol.

Then I put it on. Oh. My. Goodness. It went from vanilla to SEX in about 10 seconds flat!!

It seems like there HAS to be some kind of pheromone in here, a musk, some kind of weird combination of DNA, something that totally gives it that scent of pure sex. 

Amazing. Of all the scents I've tried, this one was the biggest surprise for me. I definitely see a 10mL bottle in my future.

whew i was beginning to think myself crazy...i didn't get any honey vanillas smells (don't know what amber smells like ) i got heavy heavy musky sexy...not even fresh sex but the next day i need to shower sex i had to wash it off it was makin me nauseous. bummer i wanted to like it so much...i wonder if my chemistry magnifies musks?

eta: I just tried o again and it was not nearly as skanky :P I literally hated it teh first time, but now it is not so bad, not top ten smell but I can wear it, must have been wonky hormone day last time. Anyway I *can* smell the vanilla now, I do not get alot of amber, it is vanilla musk w/ a touch of honey. not too bad now.

edit again: i think o is one of those oils that slowly win you over, i now have a 5ml and wear it to bed everynight, it is so comforting and loving, the smell is not at all what i first thought it was, either i have matured and become familiar w/ notes a bit more, or someone has hypnotized me :D either way i love o, those of you who dislike it on first try give it another shot or 3 it is amazing how it changed. Edited by Shollin

It took me a long time to warm up to O. I needed to smell more BPAL before I realized how much I liked this scent, if that makes sense. I needed to educate my nose.

Now I have a 10mL on order, because wow amazing. Also, I want to try it under/over some other scents as posters have suggested. I think there are a lot of things it would warm up.

I'm not sure I get as much sex from it as other people do. I just get warmth, like golden sun through a window in winter. Like a orange cat taking a nap on your feet.

In the bottle and wet: I have the feeling of cinnamon, it is somehow spicy, thick, sweet, and strong. There isn’t anything that says cinnamon in the description, but I feel cinnamon if that makes sense.

Dry: The amber is the strongest, and honey. Strong and thick and sweet, and powdery, but not in a bad way. Definitely not a scent to wear to work!

mmmm. my favorite oil so far. i applied it and immediately thought, "wow, it does smell like sex!" like when you've had a lot of sex and there's this sweet smell in the air and on your skin. :P after several hours, it faded to a gentle honey scent (my husband felt that it smelled more like baby powder, however).

More bottled sex from BPAL... I am in love with this. :P :D Praise be to God for bringing this scent into my life. It is GOREGOUS. The vanilla is so alluring. My God..the scent is so sexy.... jeeeze... :D

I unfortunately spilled a bit of my imp of O all over my clothes while opening it... however it did give me a chance to get to know it better.

It is a light sweet scent on first sniff.

Then something happens.

There is a musk, something naked and raw -- that sex smell!

This scent after a while on me gets that baby powder tinge to it, and it started making me a bit dizzy. I don't think I could use this as an every day perfume.

It's definitely interesting though -- how the heck did the lab capture *that smell* in a bottle?

O was surprisingly 'heavy' and heady on my skin. Extremely amber on me, which while it does make for a really rich scent, just didn't fit me very well, I think. The heaviness of it has faded in the 30-40 minutes or so that I've had it on, and while it's still a definite amber scent, has kind of mellowed to a touch of vanilla. I'm not entirely sold on it yet, the amber makes me leery, so will defintely have to get another opinion - and if I'm going to wear it, put it on half an hour early, as I don't think the initial smell works well with my chemistry.

** Thoughts from later, as well as a 2nd application:

It looks like O is going to get sent to a friend as a gift, as she's a fan of amber and musk notes in perfumes, and I'm absolutely willing to addict my friends as well. The second time I tried it there was a bit more honey-sugar sweetness all around, but I still can't quite adjust to the smell of amber on me, it just doesn't 'fit'.

I have found the scent I love most in the world. This is YUMMY. It smells like pure sex and enticement. This is a great one to wear for those occasions where you want to beguile someone's senses. The amber, vanilla, and honey make for a very sweet-but-enticing scent. It smells like some kind of decadent mead. Honey and amber seem to like me a lot, and I always knew vanilla did, so it's nearly perfect. It did, however, fade faster on the second wearing than the first - the first time it lingered for 12+ hours!

I don't think Amber and I like each other. It gets way too sweet on my skin. I wanted to love this one so much. It's very sweet Honey, amber and vanilla. If those work for you, you will love this scent.

I am new to BPAL and I just received my order today. Unfortunately, Aunt Rosie from Redbank arrived today too...so I don't know if this will affect the scents....I am trying out four scents at a time.

O was the second scent that I tried and at first, I smelled NOTHING...literally...just a greasy smell without any perfume at all....I was diappointed until aafter a few minutes, I noticed a lovely scent emerging from my wrist...the note that I am loving the most I think is the amber....it's warm, comforting, and very pretty...I can even imagine this as a room scent....I'm not really getting a sex vibe, but this is a keeper for me.....I am looking forward to trying again later in the month...

Don't boo me for this, but O, to me, was just a "nice" scent on me. It unfortunately didn't blow me away. The honey and vanilla, of course, are perfect, but some amber just doesn't work for me, doesn't smell very nice to my nose.

I passed on my imp to a more loving home. :P

O is a rich, nearly pure honey scent on me, with a note of amber in the drydown. It reminds me a lot of LUSH's B Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful shower gel, which is now (sadly) discontinued! I've been wearing it to bed, as a sensual comfort scent. That might seem like an oxymoron... maybe that's what "O" should mean, in this case! :P

This was a freebie in one of my orders, which I liked because I was curious about it.

In the bottle: Creamy, very sweet, and just a little spicy. It's not defiled innocence, it's just innocent.

Wearing: OK. Honey is dominant here. It's incredibly sweet and very foody. The amber is second in command, with the vanilla being just a faint breath of creaminess.

A few minutes later: I'm being assaulted by honey! It's still just as sweet as before, if not more, and it's giving me a stomach ache. Also, there's something here that was in Snow White, because I get the same burnt rubber bands smell as I did with that. The amber helps to thicken and spice things up a bit, but on my skin it turns into something that just shouldn't mix with honey. I really wish the vanilla came out more to balance this out.

Final verdict: No thank you. It's just a matter of personal taste and skin chemistry; I could see it being nice on the right person. This will go to someone who doesn't mind smelling like a dessert and whose skin won't turn it into burning rubber.

I wanted to like this, but I feel quite the opposite. It smelled sickeningly sweet to me and I had to wash it off because I couldn't handle another minute. I figured out it was the honey that I didn't like - it kind of overpowered everything else. I wasn't sure until I used some milk & honey soap and smelled that same scent that rubbed me the wrong way. But I'm glad everyone else enjoys it so much! So now I'm a bit afraid of honey scents, but maybe another combination would be fine.

When I first opened the imp my inital impression was strong vanilla ice cream with cherry syrup. A little too sweet and overpowering.

Now it's gotten so much nicer! Whatever that cherry thing was, it's gone now. It's turning into a soft candlelit honey vanilla good enough to eat. It's sexy for sure, but more innocent than I thought it would be- reminiscent of a virgin bride's wedding night, rather than a practiced courtesan's seduction. It's quite inspiring!

Bottle ~ Sweet and warm. Milk and honey? With a hint of leather? I' m not sure. Unfortunately, the glitter products I'm wearing have a scent to them, too. That's probably where I'm getting a hint of apple from.

Wet ~ Definitely milk and honey - perhaps moreso than I noticed with Alice.

Drying ~ Now O is morphing into a chocolatey scent. I wasn't expecting that. It's like opening a tin of Hershey's hot chocolate mix. It smells good ... but I'm not sure if I want to smell like chocolate.

Drydown ~ Now the scent is more firmly a milk-chocolate, which suggests that the milk and honey have come back into play. Or perhaps the chocolate is what happens upon mixing milk, honey and leather?

Dry ~ O has faded from milk chocolate to cocoa butter. Not bad smell, but surprising given what I remember of the scent description.

Final thoughts ~ Okay, I wear this to work and a male co-worker comes over to visit with me, asking me how I'm doing and bringing up stuff from weeks or months ago to make sure I'm not feeling conflicted about anything. *blink* He only asks how I am once every two months, so this is new.

It's interesting: some scents on my skin don't quite do it for me, but they seem to make other people happy. Maybe I should try to get used to smelling like a Hershey bar. Weird.

On me, O is soft and rounded and smells of milk chocolate! While I haven't read all of the reviews here for O, I haven't heard anyone else mention the chocolate phenomenon in other threads, so I am really surprised! I was expecting the smell of "sex in a bottle", but to me, sex has never smelled like chocolate (or food for that matter). :D

Other people mentioned that on them O is very strong and long lasting. Again, I seem to be in the minority on this one. I am not usually a slatherer, but this scent is pretty understated on me, and it is not long-lasting, so I will probably only get a couple of wears out of this imp.

While this is not in any way repulsive to me, I don't like smelling of chocolate, so I will not repurchase this one. :D

Edited to add: Look at that! I just read Byrdie's review above: another milk chocolate experience! I am not crazy... :P

Edited by inbigtrouble

In the bottle, this little Love Potion smelled incredibly sweet; the honey was fairly overwhelming, and the amber spiced things up just a tad.

Wet: the first thing that popped into my head was "baklava." That's all I can think about while smelling it. It's the only way to describe it. It's really taking a lot of willpower to keep from licking my wrist. It smells delightful, but it's a little too sweet and cute for my tastes, as far as perfumes go.

Drydown: Still got the baklava thing going. I don't know where the slight hint of almond is coming from, but it's very nice. The amber has warmed things up a bit, so it's vaguely musky-spicy-sensual. The honey seems to have powdered a bit, as honey notes are wont to do, but it's not unpleasant. The faded honey kind of gives this scent a more mature feel to it, as opposed to the saccharine sweetness from before. To be honest, I don't get the whole "sex-in-a-bottle" thing with this scent. Perhaps that's because I associate the act with something a bit more raw and primal, rather than sweet and honeyed. ::shrug::

It's a very lovely blend, but I'm passing this one on to my mom. Overall, it's too bakery-fresh for me.

Ordered as an imp:

BOTTLE: A strong vanilla with, for lack of a better word, rounded tones that might be amber or honey ... my nose simply isn't sophisticated enough to figure these things out!

WET: Similar, upon application, to how it smells in the bottle ... very candy sweet but not too much so, not to the nauseating point. It's not cloying. Sort of like a vaguely burnt sugar coating, a la creme brulee maybe. There is something just slightly plastic but not unpleasantly so.

DRYDOWN: It goes through a few different drydown phases ... first, like Swiss Miss cocoa with minimarshmallows when you let the marshmallows melt and sit on the top of the chocolate while it's cooling. SO yummy ... later on the honey really rises. All of the phases are really nice.

It's not something I would wear as my signature scent but I really enjoyed the ride and will definitely order another imp or two.

REVISITED AND RE-REVIEWED MARCH 31, 2013:

Working my way through my BPAL collection, A-Z, new and old, frimps and bottles so I can figure out what I keep, what I add to a soon-to-be-comprehensive swap list, and what I want more of.

It's also interesting to see how time has changed my body chemistry, my tastes, and in some cases I guess the oils themselves (I have a lot of 5 ML bottles from the mid oughties). O is one that, based on my original review, has definitely improved with age for me.

IN THE IMP: Snake OIl with a kick.

Dabbed on one wrist and in the crook of my arm.

WET: Absolutely delicious. Honey always amps on me very quickly so the first whiff I get is pure and unadulterated sweet honey. The vanilla follows soon after and for about 30 second I wonder if it's just going to be TOO sweet for me (which, frankly, Snake Oil is). But then ... oh, then ... my friend amber joins the party and mellows honey out to the perfect degree. Sweet and sexy indeed but without being cloying at all. None of the "burnt sugar" note I detected back in early '05 (BTW I don't think this is the same imp but rather an imp I ordered more recently for the collection).

DRYDOWN: Can't stop sniffing myself. This is just a fantastic scent for me. The amber becomes actually predominant on the drydown so that it's more like a honeyish resin than a resiny honey. While I still think this couldn't be an every-day scent for me, it's definitely going to have to be joined by more imps so that it can be a "many days" scent.

On a scale of 1-5, about a 4.8

Edited by JazzieCazzie

I realize that some people will think that I should burn for all eternity for saying this but...

It just smells too sweet and that is all I get. SWEET honey with a bit of amber. I tried this over and over but its just not me. My nose almost hurts from this one, thats how sweet it smells to me.

And there is an almost plastic note I get from this that makes it utterly unsexy for me.

Sorry...

Oh, O! What is it about O? It's rich and heavy and sweet but powdery all at the same time. This is a perfect "sexy" scent. It makes me feel incredibly confident. I think I'll be getting a 10ml bottle of this in my next order.

:P baby powder.....and oh how i love these..all of these notes!! maybe its my chemistry this time...but i fear I may swap this. The idea and story are beautiful...and I am jealous!! lol.

Apparently, even though I'm not a fan of sweet scents, my skin loves them. From application at 9pm to the next morning, I smelled like honey. Not clover or light honey, but a dark, almost black honey with an overlay of vanilla. (I have a honey like this at home, but I can't remember what type of flowers the bees grabbed the pollen from.)

I think some of the darkness comes from the amber. It adds a slightly less sweet note that helps cut the honey.

O

In the bottle: Baby powdery at first, then the naughty musk of honey comes through.

Wet, on skin: Smells like the Urban Decay edible honey dusting powder on my skin. Very warm and enticing.

1.5 Hours on skin: Not as sassy as I'd hoped. It's fading quickly. At one point, I smelled a hint of acridity, like a hint of urine. Sometimes reminds me of the dressing room of high school theatre.

Drydown: Still pretty powdery. If I breathe in really hard with my nose to my wrist, it's totally Play-Doh. The staying power is good, though, as I could still smell a hint at bedtime.

Conclusion: It's nice enough to try again. Maybe at a different time of the month.

Edited by sun_set_bravely

I adore vanilla, so while I'm not sure about amber, I got an imp of this.

In the bottle it smells sweet and vaguely vanilla-y.

On me it starts out as the softest, palest, gentlest tea rose :P

With in minutes it was vaguely tea rose scented babypowder that's making me a bit dizzy and lightheaded.

I'll give this another try in a couple weeks, since I really want something vanilla-y.