Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
edenssixthday

The Shattered Pumpkin

Soil-covered crushed pumpkin, water-weeds, saddle-leather, and pine pitch.

Oh, wow. I wish I could get this without that "soil" note, because it really is delicious. It's a rich manly pumpkin that, to me, is the essence of fall.
Again, too bad about the dirt, because that makes it unwearable for me. :P

In the imp, Shattered Pumpkin is LEATHER LEATHER LEATHER. Fresh on, it's PUMPKIN OMG NO LAB PUMPKIN. (The Lab's pumpkin and I do not really get along.)

Dry, it is so weird and compelling. It's fresh pumpkin -- not the buttery pumpkin that goes awful on me, so I guess the LAB PUMPKIN note I smelled at first is tamed by the other notes -- in a puddle of marshy water. The leather kicks around a bit, but not too much.

This is one of those scents that tells a story, the thing I've always loved most about the Lab's offerings. I would never wear it under normal circumstances, but I'm glad I got to smell it.

Raw pumpkin, like sniffing the inside of a jack-o-lantern, combined with rich soil and a touch of leather. I also smell something kind of damp and mildewy – the water weeds? I don’t smell the pine at all. The pumpkin note is nice, not the usual foody pumpkin. But after a few minutes, there is an almost cloying sweetness coming from the soil and leather, which strikes me as strange. This indeed smells like a pumpkin that’s been shattered on the ground by mischievous kids, and left there to rot on a rainy day. Is that a good thing? You decide. I really liked it at first, and will hang onto the imp for the sheer uniqueness of it, but the sweetness is too much for me to consider a bottle.

Straight up smashed pumpkins saturated in dirt. There is the tiniest hint of leather,

but it is really muted. Slightly aquatic due to the water-weeds, but again the notes of soil and

raw pumpkin outweigh all. While I love pumpkin, this really doesn't do much for me, and to be honest there are better pumpkins than this.

At first, there's this weird soapy, almost cleaning-product-ish, thing going on with The Shattered Pumpkin. Which I found really off-putting. Once that gets out of the way (about a half an hour later, maybe), it's replaced with leather and a hint of pumpkin. Way more leather than pumpkin. And there is a damp scent to it, like the leather's been dunked in a fresh stream. It's an interesting scent, to be sure, but I don't know if I need more than just the imp of it!

In the imp - can't pick out scents individually, but smells good.On skin - wheee, LEATHER! and lots of it! almost overwhelming, but quickly calms down. After about 10-15 minutes, turns into slightly sweet and smokey leather. Can't pick out anything else really, but that's OK, cause this smells goooood! :wub2:In the imp - can't pick out scents individually, but smells good.On skin - wheee, LEATHER! and lots of it! almost overwhelming, but quickly calms down. After about 10-15 minutes, turns into slightly sweet and smokey leather. Can't pick out anything else really, but that's OK, cause this smells goooood! :P

The soil actually doesn't smell strong in this to me -- I wouldn't have known it was in there if it wasn't in the notes. It did seem strangely almost alcoholic at first. It went through a fresh pumpkiny phase (not buttery, but fresh, like the fleshy part of a pumpkin) but I think the water-weeds are a little too much for me in this one. I wouldn't say it's off-putting, but it's not something I'm drawn to as a scent.

In bottle: The leather smells almost smoky. The pumpkin smells vaguely burnt in a good way. This is unusual and gripping. The slight sweetness of the pumpkin blends well with the environmental elements. The water weeds are really interesting. There is very little pine, which is just fine, the blend has so much character, a lot of pine would be distracting. Wet: The leather and pumpkin are most prominent. This is a rough leather, like in Dupin, definitely suitable for Saddle leather. The pumpkin is sweet and spicey. I no linger smell smoke, but I would swear there is cinnamon in this. I am now wondering if cinnamon is a component to “leather,” or possibly to pumpkin. It’s certainly distracting. It takes a long time for the gentler elements to peek through. Dry: cinnamon and leather mostly with some smoke. My roommate was able to smell the test sample on my skin and came into the office to complain about the smell. He thought I’d burned something in the kitchen. That is some serious throw. The aquatic herbs and dirt finally reemerge… six or seven hours after application and the whole thing balances well at that point and I started liking it again, but that’s a long time to wait. I took a bath, slept twice, and could still smell it on the test site 24 hours after application. O.o Another bath and sleep later, I smell mostly pump0kin and herbs on the test site. It has passed the two-day mark. It is quite lovely the second day.

Edited by Gwydion

When I saw the components listed for The Shattered Pumpkin, I was over the moon. I have wanted a pumpkin & dirt scent for the longest time. I was a little worried about the pine pitch but figured it wouldn't get in the way of my first two loves.

Boy was I wrong. It completely took over & turned it into a scorched dirty(not dirt) pumpkin & I'm stretching the pumpkin part. :cry2:

I'm not giving up though. Maybe over time with aging, it will turn into what I imagine would smell wonderful on me.

The Shattered Pumpkin

I amp leather? The Shattered Pumpkin is LEATHER and dirt and sooty beeswax candles. Blended together, it almost smells like burning rubber. And it is LOUD. I don't know if that the nature of this particular oil or if I just amp leather to the nzillionth degree. Too much for me.

This actually works quite nicely on me. I get a spicy, cinnamony pumpkin undercut with a thick sappy green scent and just a hint of leather. It's very realistic and naturey on my skin-- very evocative!

My initial impression of this was pumpkin pie spice, or more like it, a can of pumpkin pie filling. I know there aren't any spices in the description, but I'd swear it smelled like pumpkin and pie spice, along with some dirt and some grass. After a while, the dirt and grass faded back, leaving a really yummy pumpkin smell.

But something went seriously awry with this one over a period of hours. Six or so hours later, it just smells ... musty. Like I've been crawling through an attic or seldom-used closet (and I haven't). Ick.

No worries, this is not a dirty or grassy scent at all. It's like yummy baked spiced pumpkin with brown sugar, with the sweetness tempered by the leather. My skin amps sweet stuff, so I'm not really getting much soil or water-weeds, and I feel the pitch mixing in with the leather gives it that dark, earthy undertone that's like the fitting Sleepy Hollow backdrop of a black night. There is a very slight salty/aquatic undercurrent, which must be the water-weeds, that isn't jarring at all, just mixes in smoothly as if you salted the baked pumpkin a bit. I knew this was a winner :D

Edited by Invidiana

I wanted to sniff this because of the pumpkin note, but the dirt and leather notes in there completely ruined the scent for me. If you like dirt and leather notes, this might be worth tracking down. The pumpkin note in there is an outdoors pumpkin, rather than a foody one.

Bottle: Pumpkin, leather, and tar.

Wet: More of the same, except the notes are really separating out.

Drydown: Very, very leathery. And a hint of plastic.

Dry: Ugh. Plastic pumpkin and leather and pitch.

Would I ever wear this? No.

My rating: 1/5

I had trouble with this one, too. I got mostly a funky, strong dirt/asphalt smell that was kind of chemically and not particularly pleasant. I tried it on a day I felt like I was coming down with the flu, and it bothered me smelling it enough that I couldn't bring myself to give it another chance. This is one that I don't like.

:sick:

In the vial: Pumpkin, leather and dark autumn soil. I have to say that the lab's leather note is exquisite, it smells exactly like leather.

On my wrist: Mmm! Leather and pine pitch, and the pumpkin also comes through slowly. This is really curious, nothing like I've smelled before.

It dries down to leather spiced by pumpkin. I was unable to detect the seaweed at any point. It is a rather masculine scent, but it is a keeper.

This smells exactly like the mashed insides of pumpkin pulp. Unfortunately, with the leather added, this scent smells really bad on me. I always try to give my scents a fair trial, so I was wearing it to breakfast and the waitress walked past me and said really loud "Why does it smell like ether in here? It's awful!" I am certain that it was this perfume on me! :ack:

On the skin:

Yummy pumpkin with a bit of pine pitch and leather rubbed in. Sadly the pine pitch takes over really quickly... It is a woodsy, sharp pine scent that really doesn't agree with my nose. The pumpkin/leather parts though smell really good together.

After a bit the sharp wood scent backs off, but it is still a bit too strong for my taste.

Pleasant, but not for me.

Upon application, my first thought was "I immediately regret this decision." All I was getting was incredibly strong, slightly overripe pumpkin and dirt. So much dirt.

20 minutes in and the leather pipes up and it's also incredibly strong to my nose. This isn't the saddle soapy, broken in leather note I was hoping for- this is green leather. Not sure this one is going to work out for me.

30 minutes in and the dirt is gone, the pumpkin is a sweet whisper in the background, and the leather has gone soft and brown, broken in and buttery, with a slightly resinous note. Ahhh, now we're talking. It wears this way on my skin for 4+ hours before fading away and is very nice.

Verdict: I'm not 100% sure I'll hang on to this one, as I really am not crazy about how it wears for the first 20 minutes or so, but the drydown phase is quite lovely.