Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

PUMPKIN IV
Pumpkin with white sage, cherry tobacco, honey, smoky vanilla, cedar, and pine.

In the bottle, honey.

On me, honey at first. Then the pine and cedar take over and it becomes very pine for a second. The trees settle down, though, as the rest of the notes come forward and blend. This is very different and interesting. None of the listed notes are missing. I can smell them all, but, they are blended into something new and unlike anything else I've sniffed so far. The result is moderately sweet and sort of earthy and leafy. The throw is moderate.

bottle: honey, tobacco and vanilla. no pumpkin at all.

wet: this is not a pumpkiny pumpkin at all. the tobacco and vanilla are incredible and the pumpkin is only evident in a fresh-cut feel in the background. even if you don't care for pumpkin scents, you may want to try this one.

dry: i'm getting a lot of the cherry tobacco scent once dry. still no pumpkin but i adore what i am smelling.

This is syrupy cloyingly sweet.

The woods aren't prominent, and relinquish the mix to honey vanilla and cherry tobacco quickly. The cherry tobacco isn't enough to balance out the sweets. I'm left in a diabetic coma.

I have never had luck with a pumpkin scent, but this one is SO GOOD. It's smooth and sweet but not sickening - it's a grown-up sweetness. I really like it, and I think I need a bottle of it.

CEDAR. This goes on like a big ol cedar chest on me, it's very strong. I can definitely smell the cherry tobacco also (smells like my bro is smoking his pipe in my bedroom hehe). In the drydown though it becomes almost all cherry tobacco and honey so it's quite sweet for most of the perfumes wear.

in the bottle BPAL buttery pumpkin all the way, sweetened heavily with the honey and vanilla. it has nearly the regality of pumpkin V from last year without the spicy ginger.

wet on skin same

dry on skin drydown just mellows the whole thing, dissipating some of the strong sweetness, and what's left is a strong waft of buttery pumpkin with a hint of the cherry tobacco and the smell of a polished wood box. fantastic! had to buy a bottle of this on the spot and am wearing it today!

I had high hopes for this one because i LOVE the cherry tobacco note in Hearth 04 and haven't found it repeated. I was disappointed a bit at first because it seemed very sagey to me and that isn't a great note on my skin...BUT THEN IT DRIED DOWN AND IT'S LOOOVVEEEE...it very much has the Hearth 04 note, but where Hearth 04 can get too cloying over the hours on my skin, this is buttery and mellow and beautiful. This is a must try for all those that fell in love with that 04 version of Hearth and love the smokey cherry tobacco type of smell....i love it!

ETA that you have to actually wear this, it is a morpher - in the bottle is different, wet is different - the LOVE for me is the drydown. I so would like a bottle of this one! Oy!

Edited by kmasden

straight sniff from imp is thick, buttery pumpkin...

once applied this remains the same...i get zero cherry tobacco, cedar and pine which is

a shame :P

basically this is heavily vanilla buttered pumpkin...

The smell of Pumpkin IV is what I had hoped Jack would smell like when I got an imp of it 2 years ago. It is smooth pumpkin, creamy and buttery but NOT too sweet. My husband says it smells like a well made vanilla latte :P . On my skin the buttery goodness dries down and out comes the cherry tobacco. I dont ever smell the sage but I think that with the combination of cherry tobacco helps to keep the inital mellow od the pumpkin. I dont know if this makes sense, I just know that its DAMN GOOD.

Oh and the picture on the front is pretty cool too...kinda looks like a pumpkin Jason mask, haha.

:P This year's Pumpkin IV is the perfect counterpart to last year's V - both are very edible, but in a rich, glittering, opulent way. The cherry tobacco & aromatic woods really sell this for me - they combine into a fruity resin that cuts through the cloying butteriness of the pumpkin. The smoked vanilla is friggin' spectacular, the honey barely a whisper. No sign of the sage, unless it's hiding in with the pine & cedar. Festive in an elegant way, without any campy Weenieness :D

This might unseat 2007's Pumpkin V as my favorite of Beth's pumpkin blends - whereas V was all scarlet & gold brocade, this year's IV is a voluptuous smoking jacket in deep burgundy satin, embroidered in burnished copper & gold that picks up the light of the jack o' lanterns :D

Oy, I wonder what my sniffer is thinking. I get a minty pumpkin smell about a minute into the drydown. Those York Peppermint Patties? Yeah, those. Maybe I can detect the tobacco in the background. Oh wait, yeah yeah, that's tobacco, not York Peppermint patties. Like a strong cherry tobacco/vanilla scent... as it evolves... and the pumpkin is notably absent. Huh, I might end up liking this one on a non-Halloween-related basis, although it's unmistakably a fall/winter scent.

ETA: And cedar. It's like smoking cherry tobacco in a cedar closet. With a vanilla candle lit.

Edited by ND¢

I didn't expect to like this one at all. I can't stand cedar, or pine. Just threw this one into my decant order as the "least offensive notes" pumpkin of the patch. It is the dark horse favorite of the bunch.

Apparently, the cedar and pine are being beaten into submission by the cherry tobacco, vanilla and pumpkin, leaving just trace to peek out on the drydown. This is just gorgeous, buttery, and rich. All the notes come together beautifully. I can't stop sniffing my arm.

Definately getting a bottle, maybe two!

This is oddly.... Dragon's Milk on me. I think I adore it, though I have similar scents that are longer lasting, so i think I will have to wear it a few times before I decide if it's bottle-worthy.

It's predominantly vanilla on me, but the cherry tobacco comes through beautifully. It's woodsy, but it's not green like walking through a pine forest, it's a brown woodsy like sticking your nose in an old cedar chest. It is definitely lovely.

I have to agree with tartchef. Pumpkin IV is gorgeous. Pumpkin can be really buttery on me, but it's held in check by the honey and tobacco, which can be very aggressive notes on my skin. I can see this being the standout pumpkin from this year's pumpkin patch.

Really, the pumpkin isn't so buttery, and the vanilla and honey lend a sweetness to the blend that is counterpointed by the bitter smoky tobacco.

Gorgeous.

Overall I am just amazed at this years pumpkin patch. So many begin as a buttery pumpkin and then the other notes come into play and the pumpkin melds so beautifully with everything else.

# 4 is no different from the others. I was worried about the honey, as we really don't get along, but I can barely detect it. Thank goodness.

Smoky vanilla and the cherry tobacco is what sweetens this for me.

I wish I could smell the pine, but alas it is hiding from me.

Pumpkin, honey and vanilla. And amazingly, the honey isn't going all nasty on me like it usually does. It's nice and sweet, and I can just make out a hint of cherry tobacco which is really lovely. And as it dries, it all melds together into something really, really nice and less pumpkiny than the other patches.

This is another pumpkin blend that's very buttery in the imp and stays buttery in my scent locket. It's much better on the skin. The buttery note fades away quickly and the scent morphs into what reminds me of cherry pie for some reason...cherry pie with pumpkin. :P I just can't wear it in my scent locket.

I had to edit to mention this scent lasted all the way until this morning...and then smelled just like honey!

Edited by ScaryDoll

Very buttery pumpkin, but with an oddly sour note when wet. Dries down dry (not sweet, in other words) with an odd waxy smell to it. So it's a jack-o-lantern with an as-yet-unlit candle in it?! Odd!

Oh, Pumpkin IV. To think that I almost overlooked you! What on earth was I thinking?

Well, I was thinking that I hate vanilla, that honey fails to impress me, that cedar tends to run amok on my skin, and that white sage does nothing for me. My preconceived notions of what you'd probably smell like almost came between us!

Thankfully, kmasden alerted me to the fact that you contain that same cherry tobacco note as Hearth '04, the one scent I hoard my precious three drops of like some sort of perfume dragon. With this information, I approached you with an open mind.

And I was not disappointed, no, not at all. In the bottle, you smell of sweet honeyed pumpkin. The pine and cedar form a spicy resin that tickles my nose in the most delightful manner. But above all of that, you smell of my dear, sweet cherry tobacco.

As you dry, the cherry tobacco just grows richer and more beautiful. Overall, you grow more rich, more creamy, even buttery, without ever veering into sweet, cloying, nasty territory. How do you do it, Pumpkin IV? How do you do it?

Regardless of your methods, you've captured my heart, and now I must declare my love for you to all the world! I want them to know the joy that is you. I want to make them see that you are so much more than just a pumpkin scent.

I sniffed this in the vial, and thought, oh, wow, pumpkin! And then once it was on my skin I sniffed it and thought, oh, wow, cherry! It was kind of uncanny. :P

Once dry: oh, this is lovely. The notes all blend and swirl together, with the only one I can pull out on its own being the smoky vanilla. It's rich, and maybe even a little bit campfire-like. I think maybe the pumpkin is trying ever so slyly to push things into the play doh range, but it's not working.

Once this has been on a while, I think I'm getting mostly cherry tobacco. Good stuff, overall.

Wet: Pumpkin and dry, like a woodiness.

Drying: Pumpkin cologne -- that's the best way I can describe this. There's pumpkin, cedar, butter, maybe some smokiness in there. Eh. Not my thing, this one.

honey in the bottle; vanilla/tobacco on my skin. cedar comes to the front after it dries, with the smell of tobacco lingering in the background.

very nice, smoky, autumny scent. the pumpkin underscores each of the other notes as they come forward. it's not "foodie," which is nice.

i didn't smell the white sage at all, but the other notes work so nicely together that it's no big deal.

This is another pumpkin scent in which I smell no pumpkin. Instead I get a gorgeous cherry tobacco. There's just a hint of honey, but no sage, vanilla, cedar or pine and definitely no pumpkin. This will make a great winter scent.

In the bottle, a syrupy sweet pumpkin. And I can pick up the vanilla and the honey.

Wet on the skin, I smell like a candle store. Not a cool candle store. A lame one in the mall in the 80s. Waxy pumpkin. Yuck.

On drying, I still smell like cheap pumpkin candles. This one is a no-go for me.

(Which I'm rather relieved by, since I've been liking the limiteds lately and didn't want to add another)

This smells like almost pure buttery pumpkin in the imp. Not surprising, considering the other notes. It's strong, though.

Wet on the skin, the pumpkin disappears and it's instantly cherry tobacco and dark vanilla.There's something musty buried underneath it, too, like maybe the pumpkin's gone a bit fuzzy.

And then everything blends together and this, like the other pumpkins this year, picks up an almost tropical note. It's weird. Maybe my nose is just insisting on smelling pumpkin as coconut.

Sadly this is not a standout for me as it fades to a waxy, faint pumpkin scent. Not objectionable but not different enough to merit an upgrade from the decant. I'll even swap the imp.