Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Gogo

Red Musk

I have to add Thanatopsis to my list of red musk favorites. I just tried it out today and I am madly in love. The notes say juniper, pine and musk but that musk sure smells red to me!! Wow, am I in love with this one. It have it in my next order.

I had almost forgotten how deliciously red musk-y Luxuria bath oil is... I had tucked it in the back of the cabinet for the summer since it was a little strong and heady for the 90+ degree weather in Atlanta. I had a bath with it this weekend and :P it all came rushing back. (The notes are red musk, patchouli, pomegranate, red currant, bourbon vanilla, nutmeg, and sweet orange if you don't want to go look it up :D ) It is seriously gorgeous, I would love it in perfume form - although like most of the bath oils I've tried, it does linger on the skin for a long time and has pretty decent throw too.

I had almost forgotten how deliciously red musk-y Luxuria bath oil is... I had tucked it in the back of the cabinet for the summer since it was a little strong and heady for the 90+ degree weather in Atlanta. I had a bath with it this weekend and :D it all came rushing back. (The notes are red musk, patchouli, pomegranate, red currant, bourbon vanilla, nutmeg, and sweet orange if you don't want to go look it up :D ) It is seriously gorgeous, I would love it in perfume form - although like most of the bath oils I've tried, it does linger on the skin for a long time and has pretty decent throw too.

I totally agree, ivyandpeony! I like to wear it like a body oil too :P

No one's mentioned Bathsheba? Ooh, she's lovely. Carnationy musk with just a little plum to round things out a bit. Just beautiful.

Anyone have any ideas for a Red Musk + Amber scent? I bet this would be unbelievably sexy on me!

Anyone have any ideas for a Red Musk + Amber scent? I bet this would be unbelievably sexy on me!

I'll be watching this thread with interest! I'd love to hear some recs on Red Musk + Amber - two of my favorites!

Spellbound (three roses, radiant amber, and sensual red musk) is very feminine and utterly romantic.

Fenris Wolf is the masculine equivalent of Spellbound (rosewood, amber, red musk and a dribble of red sandalwood) as it replaces the roses in Spellbound with wood notes.

LEs that contained red musk and amber include Red Moon 2007, The Ecstasy of Passion, and Midnight Kiss.

Red Moon 2007 and Ecstasy Passion :P

Gorgeous, both of them.

ETA: Oops tempete already mentioned those

Edited by ifinena

How'sa bout

Loviatar: The slap of slick, hot leather punctuates the warm, sensual embrace of black amber, red musk and dark, lascivious myrrh.

Hollywood Babylon: glittering Egyptian amber and heliotrope, infused with the sweetness of strawberry and vanilla - dragged into debauch by lusty red musk and a dribble of black cherry.

Midnight Kiss: red musk, cocoa absolute, Nepalese amber, red sandalwood, aged patchouli, nicotiana, and blood wine.

3 pretty different blends and all pretty darn good.

There's something in Mme Moriarty that makes me not like it at all, but I am in a very very small minority here. I think you should try it though.

I totally agree with your sentiment. For me, it's the patchoulli. For some reason it dominates in this scent on me and, no sir, I don't like it. :P I'm still going to be hopeful about it and hope it grows on me because I'd like it otherwise.

Thanks for all the recs!

Edited by Gymeni

I think the "infernal musk" in Crowley smells pretty red, too, and is one of my faves!

Midnight Kiss is definitely aging well, and my Krampus 07 has aged so nicely.

Mme Moriarty and Marianne, however, did not like me at all, even after repeated testings.

I have yet to try Smut, doesn't that have red musk?

And There Was A Great Cry in Egypt is gorgeous! It gets better and better with age, too. (the notes are dark myrrh, white sandalwood, amber, hyssop, frankincense, honey, cypress, red musk, cardamom and saffron.) I didn't realize that The Haunted Palace had red musk until I did a search, but I did know about the amber - not sure if Dark Delicacies is still selling the Poes and if so, if they still have it in stock, but it is a favorite blend of mine too.

I tried Midnight Kiss the other day in a fall preview frenzy and you might want to put it on your list, too - it's chocolaty red musk with a rich amber base.

The Ecstasy of Passion is another one w/amber and red musk (one of my to die for scents too, I love it) but it is just so hard to find these days... if the opportunity presents itself, then I'd grab it, but I wouldn't make myself crazy hunting it down or spending a fortune. Life's too short and there will be something else that comes along that you will love just as much!

I recently have woken up and realized how gorgeous red musk is on me, so I'm out to hunt down some more lovelies. I've noticed that when red musk is paired with something fruity or tea leafy or spicy or sweet it goes best with me.

Things that have worked beautifully so far that have red musk in them:

Snake Oil-- A blend of exotic Indonesian oils sugared with vanilla

Irrelevant and Surreal Crawdad Dream-- red currant, green tea, red musk, Hawaiian ginger, benzoin, vanilla, coriander, squash blossom, and blueberry

Lunar Eclipse-- Red musk, black currant, violet leaf, wild frankincense, lavender, black orchid, Darjeeling tea, vetiver, red moss, myrrh, Moroccan spices, blackened fruit gums, and tobacco.

Any red musk recs that follow in that vein?

Ohhh I think I have to add my new 'red musk' finding: Lady Lilith.

I know she is not as popular as Lilith Victoria, but I find Lady Lilith a slow-burning fire. It grows on you.

It's gorgeously fruity red musk to me, so neddykapoozle this is my recommendation to your above post. Although it was just discontinued, I think it won't be too hard to track some down.

Edited by ifinena

I recently have woken up and realized how gorgeous red musk is on me, so I'm out to hunt down some more lovelies. I've noticed that when red musk is paired with something fruity or tea leafy or spicy or sweet it goes best with me.

Things that have worked beautifully so far that have red musk in them:

Snake Oil-- A blend of exotic Indonesian oils sugared with vanilla

Irrelevant and Surreal Crawdad Dream-- red currant, green tea, red musk, Hawaiian ginger, benzoin, vanilla, coriander, squash blossom, and blueberry

Lunar Eclipse-- Red musk, black currant, violet leaf, wild frankincense, lavender, black orchid, Darjeeling tea, vetiver, red moss, myrrh, Moroccan spices, blackened fruit gums, and tobacco.

Any red musk recs that follow in that vein?

The Carnival has a few oustanding red musk recs:

Mme. Moriarty Misfortune Teller Red musk, vanilla bean, pomegranate, patchouli leaf and wild plum.

This one is amazing. The red musk and vanilla play perfectly together, the pomegranate is AWESOME, the plum is sweet and juicy and the patchouli adds a subtle grounding aspect. Plus it lasts forever and lingers on as this sweet red musk/vanilla dominated scent.

The Grindhouse Florentine iris, red musk, mimosa, magnolia, Damascus rose, clove, and vanilla bean

This shares a lot of characteristics with Mme. Moriarty, but I find the two quite different. This one is definitely very wicked--it perfectly encapsulates that sort of "den of iniquity" feeling that the Grindhouse invokes. It's a great red musk if you want something sensual but don't do patchouli.

Marianne Red musk, bergamot, black currant, mimosa, orchid, patchouli, and lotus root.

Raunchy. There's really no way around it. This perfume will have its way with you.

In the GC impables, there are plenty of lovely red musks as well:

The Great Sword of War Sin and Salvation Mandarin, tonka, saffron, black tea, cocoa, tobacco leaf, sanguine red musk and five classical herbs of conflict.

This one is really complex and when fresh it's sort of masculine but it ages into a really sublime red musk just touched by the other ingredients.

Kabuki Ars Amatoria cherry, red musk, and star anise.

The cherry really brightens this and the anise adds an interesting edge. I think this is one of the sexiest perfumes in the GC.

Mania Excolo white musk collides with a howl of red musk, with sharp white grapefruit and pale strawberry leaf.

I'm a bit iffy on this one, since the notes are so different from the ones you like, but it might work in your favour.

The Dodo Mad Tea Party Red musk, lemon peel, sugar cane, cassia, white sandalwood, mango, and agarwood.

Sweet, sugary and spicy red musk. This one is beautiful.

Hollywood Babylon Wanderlust Egyptian amber and heliotrope, infused with the sweetness of strawberry and vanilla - dragged into debauch by lusty red musk and a dribble of black cherry.

Sweet, sweet, swet, SWEEEEEEET red musk. The cherry and strawberry might help this pop for you.

If you're a big Snake Oil fan, you can also try the Snake Pit from the Carnival. I haven't tried them all, but the ones I have tried certainly bring their own twists to the Snake Oil formula.

Thank you for starting this thread!!! So many of these red musk blends I love, but had no idea why (thump on the head). Just tried Lady Lillith again, and in the last month or two, it has gotten even better. The floral is now in the background, RM in the front, Yay!! I could have sworn Sin has rm, but it's not listed in the notes, (I think my imp is VERY aged though)

It's funny that someone mentioned that Marianne was "raunchy," because I find her to be extremely ladylike.

It does have a Smut-like vibe to it (the red musk in both smells the same to me), but Smut is a 10-dollar streetwalker while Marianne is a royal courtesan. Sure they're both whores, but the latter knows which fork to use during the fish course. :P

It's funny that someone mentioned that Marianne was "raunchy," because I find her to be extremely ladylike.

It does have a Smut-like vibe to it (the red musk in both smells the same to me), but Smut is a 10-dollar streetwalker while Marianne is a royal courtesan. Sure they're both whores, but the latter knows which fork to use during the fish course. :P

:D hahahaha! I love Marianne and it does remind me of Smut (but better with my chemistry) and Scherezade. I do think I NEED to try And There Was A Great Cry in Egypt. It has so many of my favorite notes in it, I can't believe I haven't tried it yet!

And There Was A Great Cry in Egypt is gorgeous! It gets better and better with age, too. (the notes are dark myrrh, white sandalwood, amber, hyssop, frankincense, honey, cypress, red musk, cardamom and saffron.) ........

I have to agree on this one.....it is so wonderful! Honey is often a deal-breaker for me, but it doesn't ruin Great Cry In Egypt. It does come out a little strong in the dry-down but I still love wearing this stuff. Honestly, I want a bigger bottle, but I can't decide between this and Carceri d'Invenzione, and I think they smell a little too much alike to get both. [same with Cloister Graveyard and Death Of The Grave Digger] So, I continue to be undecided. : ( And I end up collecting decants instead. : D

But yeah, back on topic......the red musk in Great Cry In Egypt is definitely there, but it doesn't bully the other notes like it can do in some blends. It's just enough of a spicy musk presence to add warmth and sultry-ness to the scent as a whole.

So I've been on a red musk kick for a while now and now pine has joined red musk as one of my Holy Grail scents. Does anyone know if there's a BPAL out there that combines red musk and a pine scent? I've pulled a few up with the search engine but are there any more that I may not be able to pull up by keyword alone?

So I've been on a red musk kick for a while now and now pine has joined red musk as one of my Holy Grail scents. Does anyone know if there's a BPAL out there that combines red musk and a pine scent? I've pulled a few up with the search engine but are there any more that I may not be able to pull up by keyword alone?

Using Scent Scribbles, I found two possibles:

Troll, A lurching, hateful, bitter scent. This is a gruesome blend of ghastly greens and blacks: vetiver, pine pitch, troll musk, black basil, clove smoke, and scorched cumin.

Thanatopsis, A deep, solemn earthen scent containing pine, juniper and musk.

Neither description specifies red musk, but reviews (one for the former, a few for the latter) think it may be. Pine is in both, of course. :P That's all I have for suggestions, and I've never personally smelled a red musk/pine blend which is or isn't listed in the notes, but I hope that helps.