Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
StrangeLove

Snow, Glass, Apples

In Neil's words, 'It smells like green apples and like sex and vampires, all at the same time. (Actually, it smells like sexy vampire apples.)'

This isn't just a crispy apple.. cus crispy apples are usually tart. But this isn't tart. This is the perfect apple. One that is sooo crispy, but when you :bite: into it.. it's actually sweet and not smooshy like the sweet ones usually are. Then you get mint (top lip is now minty fresh due to sniffin my wrist and it touched my lip...teehee!) And... a bit of deep down fresh earth underneath it all. Something sinister lyin in that thar apple. The kind that you give to Beauty when you want to rub her out cause she's makin you feel less purdy. Stupid Beauty... TAKE THAT!!!

Over time the sweetness lessens and the darkness encroaches and makes you feel sinful and sweet. People think you're such a sweetheart. But you are sooo cleaver, and deep down you know that you are sooo much worse than what they think, but let them be duped cus you know whats up. They're worm food and you are gawdess of all. Feel my wrath. I will bake your apples bitches!!!

Nummy dark minty dirty sexy nummy.

edited to add description Edited by Purrsnikety

I was lucky enough to have a friend pick this up for me at the Comic-Con. I looked so forward to this because I love apple scents, I love cold scents, and I LOVE Neil Gaiman. SGA did not at all disappoint! It is absolutely beautiful and now one of my favorite scents. If you love apple scents like The Hesperides and Verdandi or cold scents like Snow White and The Snow Storm, you should love this as much as I do. I can't really think of anything that different to say than what other reviewers have already said. I just can't pass up the opportunity to rave about this scent. It's very pleasing to have all your expectations exceeded! :P

In the bottle: A light very tart apple scent

on skin: This is a granny smith apple coated in dew being eaten under a blossoming tree.

Very nice light throw but good staying power.

Oh this is painfully gorgeous!! I bought this from the Comic website, and I am quite thrilled to have an autographed copy of Snow, Glass, Apples, as I am a big Neil fan. What an amazing scent, this smells like chilly winter apples. Yep, it's the Lab's gorgeous, chilly, winter note, like the one found in Ice Queen, combined with an outrageously fresh apple scent. This is a combination of Ice Queen and Poisoned Apple. What more could I ask for in a scent?? Sexy vampire apples is right!

I feel privileged to have a bottle of this, and someone will have to pry this from my cold dead hands!!

In imp: ice cold apples.

Wet on skin: huh - Rose Red??? Cold, crunchy apples, and yes, it does remind me of Rose Red - not rose petals but the stem and leaves - the smell of a dewy rose bush! It's mostly apple, though. (For the record, I described Rose Red as "a very sharp, green, woody rose" rather than a rosy rose!) This is a bit on the cold side for me, but I like it more than I thought I would!

Dry on skin: very sharp, almost lemony, but also sweet and pretty.

As I've been quite fond of apples lately, I had no doubt I'd love this scent, and indeed I do. It makes me wish I had more than an imp's worth!

While it bears slight similarity to Poisoned Apples (clearly, since they both contain apple as their main ingredient), it moves away from that to become something much more sensual, dark, and really, really attractive. I put it on before bed the other night and couldn't stop smelling my wrists-- it becomes quite addictive very quickly. The snow is there to blanket it all, making it cold and absolutely gorgeous. I wish this would become a regular!

OMIGOSH...I am soooooooooo happy to have spent too much on Ebay for this. :D Fresh, true, sweet apples, with a small bite of mint, and a beautiful, soft, pale musk that adds so much depth to this scent. I must get more of this. Perfecttttttttttttttt scent for fall! :P

LOVE this scent. In the bottle, I smell apples and a bit of an ozone scent.

On the skin, the apple scent is predominant when wet, but turns a bit minty as it dries. Still, I can always smell the apple note predominantly. A very smooth fragrance on my skin.

I couldn't go to Comic Con and SGL went so quickly on the site I thought I was SOL- until the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund released the rest of the supply. I am a HUGE Neil Gaiman fan, so I had no problem buying the signed set.

In the bottle: tart, crisp apple. 100% apple.

Wet on skin: Apple with a faint floral note. I usually hate florals but fortunately I really like this.

Drydown: the apple fades away into a cool/floral blend, staying soft and close to the skin. This scent, for me, does not last. We're talking like, 20 min to near-total fadeout(although I always apply just whatever has wet the rim of the bottle for first impressions, in case I don't like it or if it is something my skin amps). It is still there if I huff and hoover my wrist- a tiny winter bloom half-crusted with snow. Delicate, feminine, and cold.

Although the lack of strength with my chemistry does bum me out, I am madly in love with this smell, because it IS the story. I can just imagine Beth propping a copy of the MS over her magic cauldron while she worked. When I read "sexy vampire apples" I was expecting something more obvious and dirty, like Poisoned Apple, and this is so much more refined.

In short- Neil and Beth are two masters of their respective fields, and this collaboration is the proof in the pudding.

I was able to test Snow, Glass, Apples thanks to jewelbug.

In the bottle: Ripe green apples chilled in a snowbank. There is a coldness about this scent combined with apples that don't smell the least bit artificial. Could I have finally found an apple scent that doesn't turn to Yankee Candle falseness on my skin?

On my skin: Nope! Artificial apple with a light muskiness underneath.

Drydown: A hint of musk and plastic.

I love the smell of real apples and this scent was gorgeous in the bottle. But I think I have to accept that no matter what other notes it is paired with, BPAL apple just doesn't work on my skin :P

In the imp:A cold,airy scent.

On wet:Green,crispy apples mixed with snow and water.I get some light florals too that are well blended with the apples.No mint here.THis is the phase of "apples"

3 hours later:The scent is more soft now,musky and musty,and the snow note is more prominent.It's sexy in a sophisticated way.Yep,this is the "sexy vampire" phase.

Verdict:I've never smelled anything quite like it.It's very complex and beautiful.I'm happy I'm not head over heels in love with it cause I'd be devastated if I were not able to find it ever again.I'll definately be using my imp though. :P

Hmm. I was able to get my hands on a decant of this from a very sweet BPALer. I have to say it's a very green apple! Wet, it's very crisp and tart and fresh. On the drydown it seems to be getting more perfume-y, more snowy. It lacks the chill I thought it would have, and I'm disappointed about that, but it is still a very lovely apple scent.

I agree it gets more musky as it dries.

This isn't Verdandi's rich apple, which I think honestly has my heart and soul forever. But I love this imp and I will use it 'til it's gone. Thank God I finally found ONE LE that I don't need to track down a 5ml of!

Today a swap package arrived. My swap partner felt that one of the bottles she sent had less than she'd said it did, so she very generous gifted me a decant of SGA, my holy grail of BPALs. I've been wanting it since before it was released, since it was Gaiman's description that finally made me go check out this perfume company I'd been hearing about. (The rest is history insanity.) I finally broke down two days ago and bought a decant, but to have another one appear as if by magic? Which if Gaiman is involved even peripherally is the case? awesomeness.

In the imp: (Damn I had better not spill this thing or I will be PISSED.) Apples. Clear, sharp, not at all sweet. Cold. Apples in snow. The cold effect is a mint, I think.

Wet: Apples still, sweeter but still sharp. The mint is not aggressive at all--not even very minty, just adding a cold note to it. Menthol, perhaps? The apple fades as it dries.

Dry: The apple comes back, with little sweetness. The cold note is still there but not as aggressive. And there is now a darkness to it, a dark young musk. The apple has more stay than most BPAL apple blends, which is nice because I love that note. This is the girl from "Snow, Glass, Apples," all right. *shiver*

This is very, very different. It's not for every day; it is one of those "storytelling" blends that Beth and co. do so very well, to be worn when one is in the mood to feel like that story. Verdict: Awesome. I'm almost deflated, though, now that I have it. Sometimes the wanting is better than the having--nah! I'm liking the having! :P

I wanted to like this sooo badly, but unfortunately it didn't work on me.

Wet: Green apples. Similar to The Hesperides.

Wet on skin: Apples with a hint of musk.

Dry on skin: Cheap perfume, without any apples.

Fail. :P I think I'll be sticking to the better GC apple scents like Verdandi and Hesperides.

I can't really do this one justice at all. It is so lovely.

I get sweet, juicy, icy cold apples. No evergreen that many of the snowy scents turn into on my skin. Just icy cold perfumey (but expensive, fantastic perfume) apples. Very crisp and clear, strong but not overwhelming. Beautiful.

Imp: Apple. Crisp Apple. Crisp Dark Apple.

Wet on Me: The scent of tart fresh crisp green apples. Not too sweet and just right. Something a wee bit dark lurks underneath

Drying Down: musty apples…but not in a bad way. Could be that darkness I smell…musty or a blood scent.

Dry: okay I can totally get the sexy vampire apples description. Now that this has dried down on me this is totally what this smells like! So glad I took a chance and got this. Not letting it go!

In the bottle- The slightest hint of apple, almost buried beneath a breathy ozone snow and glass mix.

On the wrist- Wah. Where did the apples go? It's all snow (which, I will admit, is nice to have an ozone-y scent actually manifest on me) and smooth glass, with the slightest cream-to-white floral note. A highly 'reflective' scent, which fades to snow before vanishing completely.

Overall- The throw on this one isn't great. It would be awesome if my skin actually liked ozone scents, or if the apple came through. I was REALLY excited about getting my bottle of this, now i'm just... sad, because it hasn't worked. Wah.

=^..^=

Very green apples when wet, but half an hour later it fades to a soft minty floral with an apple back. This phase stays close to the skin.

My problem is not that it fades so quickly, but that the initial apple scent is a bit too candle/plastic/shampoo for me. I do better with the more cidery, fall scented apple smells, although Poisoned Apple, with its dark opiumy edge, worked pretty well.

I can definitely smell the intention of this blend, and there is a moment when the mint gives a hard, glassy edge to the apple, but I admit I never smell snow.

This reminds me of the very best of Snow White, Snowflakes, and Poisoned Apple or the Hesperides. (It's closer to Poisoned Apple if memory serves)

This is a sublime blend of snow, a slight sweetness, an icy wind with a bite of apple. I love it and I’m glad that I have a bottle. I will thoroughly enjoy it.

I cannot add anything that has not already been said, as far as the scent description goes.

Having worn it a lot though, I want to say this: SGA is not "my" type of scents as I love "red", musky, spicy blends that entice you to come closer. SGA is a cold, hands-off type of scent (to my nose) and for this reason it's absolutely, awesomely wearable (and advisable?) in certain circumstances. For instance you can totally go into a meeting, or a full classroom or a business appointment, wearing SGA. It's inoffensive enough but still makes its' presence known and projects the "I'm a female professional, take me seriously" type of image.

Gorgeous blend, very wearable and I'm glad I have a bottle and a half, of this.

Edited by ifinena

In the bottle: Ozone, mostly

On the skin: Still mostly ozone, but with light, crisp, tart-sweet golden apple as well. Oddly heady for something so watery.

10 minutes later: This is really quite interestingly complex. Delicate, sweet ozone-apple. I'm not totally sure how I feel about it exactly, but. Definitely interesting.

20 minutes later: I swear I'm getting some kind of barely-there musk-floral at the very base of this -- light and a little powdery. But still sweet ozone-apple over the top. But the powdery almost-floral is growing in strength. Huh.

30 minutes later: This is mostly ozone-aquatic, icy-bright, but softened by that hint of apple, and maybe apple blossom? And the occasional whiff of musk. I never really expected an aquatic to work for me (this is the first one I've tried), but I'm kind of really seriously liking this.

1 hour later: Musk-ozone-apple-floral, bright and crisp and soft. Incredible, really.

7 hours later: Soft, warm, laundry.

Verdict: I liked this a lot, but I don't want to have its babies or anything. This is good, because I suspect trying to track down another bottle would be problematic.

But I'll definitely hang on to this one.

One phrase: ozone-apple.

The cold, fresh apple part fades pretty quickly and leaves dried apple, vanilla, and creamy musk. Doesn't sound like much, but smells great and is appropriate to the story.

Well now, here's something I never expected to get a chance to try! Many thanks to Persephone76 for the testable sniffie! I enjoy Gaiman's work, I've had good luck with BPAL's apple note so far, and SGA is just plain infamous already, so I'm excited to get to test it.

In the imp: Frigidly cold tart green apples. It's a smooth smell - I guess that's the glass!

Wet on skin: Less sharply cold now, though these are still very freshly-cut Granny Smiths. It is still incredibly glassy smooth, though I couldn't begin to tell you what's making it that way.

Drydown: Freshly dry, I get a little more of the snow note again, but the apple is sweeting up some. It's still very smooth. I'm getting a little of something darker that I can't for the life of me identify, but it's not dominant. After an hour, this is smooth cold ozoney apple, with perhaps a bit of musk lurking in the background.

Five hours later: Faintly apple-y ozone. It's still pretty present, though the balance of notes has changed significantly over time.

End of the day: Ozone.

Overall: The name of this oil hits the nail square on the head, particularly early on. It's cold, glassy smooth, and apple-y all at once. Even if I'd never read the story, I'd say the name and the smell match perfectly. And having read the story, the faint darker/musky stuff that showed up earlier on also fits the tale. I wish, though, that the apple stuck around longer! The ozone is the dominant player in later stages of wear, which is fine, but that's not what makes this blend work so well. I wish the namesake combination of notes persisted the entire time! Even though the fact that they don't means I won't be needing to shell out the cash for a larger quantity of this.

Snow Glass Apples

In the bottle: mmm, this apple is promising because it reminds me of the one in Mock Turtle’s Lessons. A crisp sweet apple, juicy and tempting, and surrounded by coldness.

Wet on skin: ok, now it’s gone rather sharp on me, as apple scents usually do, but I also smell that ‘sweet snow’ note, and a watery mint.

Dry on skin: hmm. This is intriguing. As apple scents go, this isn’t bad. it’s not turning fake or sharp or cloying or artificial on me. It smells of frozen apples. Or like a chilled apple martini. It’s a glassy and cold apple scent, mainly green apple on ice, with mint, a hint of sharp glassy ozone (a bit like the House of Mirrors glass note) and an undertone of that sugary snow note from the likes of Ice Queen, Snow Flakes, Moon of Ice to name but a few. It’s actually really nice.

After a while: ok, this isn’t as nice any more. It’s not doing the worst that apple notes usually do on me, but something in here is turning overripe and cloyingly sweet. Maybe it’s apple blossom, but at times this smells more like plum blossom. Plum blossom and my skin don’t really get on. But there’s still a hint of green apple to this scent which is pleasant, and the ice/snow notes are very pretty now, slushy and watery and a bit melon/cucumber-like. And the sugary sweetness is lovely. I’m just not keen on the overripe fruit scent in here.

Verdict: I bought this on the off chance that this could be the perfect apple scent, but sadly it wasn’t to be. It’s not the apple note that caused problems as usual, but something else that turned cloying and sickly. For a while this was really nice, smelling of frozen apples, just like I hoped for. A hint of that sweet snow note with mint and a bit of airy ozone, and a good apple note. but then something here-I’m guessing a floral note-turns on me and does the same thing that certain blossom notes do on me-turns bad, a bit cloying and like rotting flowers and fruit. So sadly, this isn’t the perfect frozen apple. I think that Snow White fits that role-I get an apple note from that scent. Plus a lot of the autumnal warm apple scents work a lot better on me. My bottle now has a new home.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? No, sadly.

If you like this, try: Mock Turtle’s Lessons, Hesperides, Snow White, Poisoned Apple

ITI: Hello apple! This smells like a very sweet, sharp apple. There's also a hint of something that reminds me of Nosferatu...maybe a blood note, or a creepy herb note, or a wine note of some kind.

Wet: There is a Jolly Rancher of doom on my wrist. Very sweet and apple-y, but I do not want to eat these apples. I want to run away from these apples. There is indeed something in here that is also in Nosferatu, but I don't know what.

Dry: The sour, creepy, Nosferatu-ish note has already faded. Now it just smells like musky apples. There must be some grass or herbs or something in here. Is there a wood note in here, too?

Drydown: Quickly turning from strong apple to musky floral. Odd. Very odd. Compelling, though. I do keep sniffing myself. But I don't know if I like what I smell. Wow, fades super fast. Just a hint of apple herb flower wine.

Final Thoughts: Y'know, it smells good, but I don't think I'd wear this. I'm not really one for foody scents.