Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Fury

Winter smells and scents, including the perfect winter forest

Thank you all so, so much for your recommendations! I did not expect such wonderful replies. <3 I definitely am going to go hunting in the For Sale area now!

Apart from some of the past Yuies, I also have my eye on looking for and trying some or all of WOLF MOON, SNOW MOON, COLD MOON, CANDLES MOON, FROST MOON, DEATH OF THE GRAVEDIGGER, MOON OF ICE AND CLOISTER GRAVEYARD IN THE SNOW when autumn rolls around. They all sound deliciously wintry by their descriptions. And I haven't even really looked at the Yules themselves yet.

This is my first year of BPAL and I already have lists in advance. Oh me. My wallet will never forgive me.

Um... The Snowstorm! It's from Yule 2007: Winter aconite, balsam fir, cedar leaf, and white mint.

I'd suggest a Yule called The First Soft Snow!

THE FIRST SOFT SNOWThe first soft snow!

Enough to bend the leaves

Of the jonquil low.

Heavy drifts of snow blanketing winter's narcissus.

I also recommend Winter-Time & The Waltz of the Snowflakes! Both are absolutely gorgeous & make me think of walking in a snowstorm... just lovely :wub2:

I don't think two of my winter favorites have been mentioned:

I wear:

L'Inverno - White musk, winter plum, pine wood, benzoin, orchid, and stargazer lily.

My boyfriend wears:

Lines Written Among the Euganean Hills - Skin musk, white sandalwood, balsam fir, frozen black berries, cedar, winter rose, and white amber.

They both have an outdoorsy, wintery smell to me, like standing outside in the snow. I also like Snow Moon '05 and Nuclear Winter. All of these have the snow note the lab uses that I really love, but less of the ozone that my skin can amp to terrible degrees.

My perfect BPAL winter forest? The Snow Storm, hands down. It's a fresh, pure evergreen forest buried in virgin snow, but warmed by a cool morning sun. Yule (only tested the 2010 version) is that same forest, but in the absolute depth of winter night, locked in frigid ice and frost. Yule has a more herbal touch than Snow Storm, maybe that's why it's colder and drier.

The Carpathian Mountains is also a beautiful alpine forest, it gives me an impression of being high-altitude and cold, but not necessarily wintry.

Just read through this thread again, and made some notes for GCs to try.

I'll second the recs of Lines/Hills, Skadi, Ice Queen, Archangel Winter, Nuclear Winter, Evening Cicadas and Red Peppers, and The Waltz of the Snowflakes for icy scents that have a little hints of other notes, mostly woods, about them.

To these I'll add The Country of Eternal Light (cold ozone), Nuclear Winter (frosty ground w/ some mint and water), Black Ice (frozen pavement), and Countess Dolingen of Gratz (one of the the Literary Vampires from '09) that is mostly cold ozone, but hints of other notes to balance.

Is there an evergreen scent left in the general catalog? Slobbering Pine and Yew Trees were both discontinued, and I was wondering, because I am on an evergreen kick. I love my LE bottles, but I treasure them too much to use them like I would like to slather them all over my home.

Is there an evergreen scent left in the general catalog? Slobbering Pine and Yew Trees were both discontinued, and I was wondering, because I am on an evergreen kick. I love my LE bottles, but I treasure them too much to use them like I would like to slather them all over my home.

Bayou has a little kick of Evergreen in it but it definitely isn't super strong. It mostly comes out when it's about to fully dry on my skin.

Edited by Haltija

Depending on whether you're looking for a christmas-tree-evergreen or not, some of these will be more or less up your alley:

Black Forest: Thick, viscous pine with ambergris, black musk, juniper and cypress.

Jabberwocky: Pine, eucalyptus and orange.

The Jersey Devil: The scent of the wild, hauntingly beautiful Pine Barrens of New Jersey! Pitch pine with blackberry leaf, cranberry, cedar wood and tomato leaf.

Ranger: Buckskin accord with Terebinth pine, Russian birch, black ironwood, elder bark, hay, armoise, juniper, patchouli, galangal root, Spanish moss, and cabreuva.

Thanatopsis: A deep, solemn earthen scent containing pine, juniper and musk

Troll: This is a gruesome blend of ghastly greens and blacks: vetiver, pine pitch, troll musk, black basil, clove smoke, and scorched cumin.

Edited by Andyl

This is an atmo spray, but it really smells like snowy evergreens—Blue Spruce and Snow-Capped Pine from BPTP's Yules. It's wonderful! And you could always spray your clothes if you want to wear it. :)

This is an atmo spray, but it really smells like snowy evergreens—Blue Spruce and Snow-Capped Pine from BPTP's Yules. It's wonderful! And you could always spray your clothes if you want to wear it. :)

I do want that.

Ship of Hel is wintery forest with some aquatic thrown in. It's really beautiful.

Talvikuu is my all time favorite Winter scent. It also aged beautifully! It is Christmas in a bottle, evoking many lovely memories for me. ADORE IT! :luv2:

Next is Skadi and Monastery in the Mountains. They are both similar to Talvikuu in my opinion.

Edited by MoonlitWolf

I actually find I wear all my most foodie scents in the winter. I love smelling like baked goods all winter long! Plus I find most of them too heavy for summer, so winter thus seems the logical time to wear them....

I am a newbie here, and I just received my first order of BPAL imps. One of my favorites was the Leanan Sidhe, but it is very spring. Does anyone have any recommendations for a sort of winter version of this scent? Ulalume and Death on a Pale Horse sounded like potential equivalents. Any other suggestions?

I am a newbie here, and I just received my first order of BPAL imps. One of my favorites was the Leanan Sidhe, but it is very spring. Does anyone have any recommendations for a sort of winter version of this scent? Ulalume and Death on a Pale Horse sounded like potential equivalents. Any other suggestions?

Welcome to BPAL and the forum! Sadly, while I can't assist w/ your current question, it might interest you to learn that, sometimes soon, both the Lab and the Post will issue Yules, a yearly winter-time and winter holiday-themed LE (limited edition) selection of perfume oils and goodies. You can get an overall idea of what they are like by reading reviews of past Yules. And decant circles for Yules are always helpful. :) Also, if you live near any of the Will Calls, those are great to try before you buy and meet other Bpal-fans. HTH!