Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nadirah

Rose Recommendations - which blend is for me?

I am craving a rosy perfume, not too spicey or too much musk in it. I have tried black rose, black widow, and Wicked those are great but I am looking for a more innocent rose. Do any of you know of a scent that will match that description?

Rose Red sounds like it would have been perfect... alas, it's sold out. :D

The only one I've actually worn that matches what you're talking about is Ophelia - have you tried that one? It's a very innocent scent all 'round and the primary note (at least on me) is rose, with a touch of something sweeter. Ingenue is also very innocent, but I didn't smell rose when I wore it (though it's in the description).

Of ones I haven't tried (just going by description), Maiden sounds like it might be the closest match. Eve is apples and roses, that might be a possibility. Silentium Amoris is rose and ylang ylang, though that one sounds more wistful/longing than innocent. Lucy's Kiss is rosy and several folks have said there's something candy-sweet underneath. Also, the Lab makes a single-note rose oil, which might be worth a look if you just want rose by itself without anything else affecting the tone of the scent.

Hope this helps. :P

hello, i am also a huge rose junkie. i love red rose, it is definitely my fave. but i am also digging maiden and spellbound.

i think i will be collecting bpal rose scents. i like the idea of having a rose scent for every occasion. rose red when i am feeling meditative, spellbound when i am feeling sexy, maiden when i am feeling maideny :P

i think elizabeth is attempting to create a recommendations section in the FAQ chapter of the black phoenix website. i am looking forward to the rose scents she recommends.

i am also so in love with carnations right now........

Persephone's a nice rose scent, and it's practically a rose-berry sort of scent with the pomegranate, which makes it sparkly and innocent.

Zombi is very rose to me, soft, juicy sweet. I never liked rose oil, but that´s because i had a rose oil from the Bodyshop once with was harsh and cloying. Zombi made me change my mind. A real romantic rose smell, with a deeper mysterious note...

I think that I am discovering that I love rose scents and I was wondering what everyone's favorites are. I've done the search on the website to look them all up, and even looked at the reviews, but it gets messy for me, so I decided to make this thread.

So far, I have determined that The Empress is supposed to be wondrous. I have tried Spellbound and love it so far. Any others?

the Empress is divine.

That said, I favor ...

Rose Red

Queen Mab

Persephone

Othello

Pride

Old Venice

Spellbound

Edited by jj_j

Zombi: not a friendly rose, but a haunted one!

#20 loveoil: On me it has a very red dry rose scent, not on everyone though!

Old Venice. Yes .. yes yes.

Burial is rosey too, but it didn't doo well on me. I was hoping I think for more earth than rose maybe. But you should try it!

I love Queen Mab & Old Venice, these were on jj_j's list too. Haven't tried Harlot yet but from the reactions here, I'll add it to my "gotta get" list.

Beth sent me an imp of Black Rose & I am lovin' it. In fact, I think I'll wear it today!

:P

I thought I posted this, this morning, but it's not here. Maybe I posted in th wrong place.

Harlot- rose, cinnamon

Seralgio - almond, clove, rose

Blood Rose - wine, dragon's blood rose

I also wanted to add that I've tried the following:

Persephone

Rose Red

Othello

Spellbound

Queen Mab

And now I'm dying for Old Venice and Harlot.

Here, lemme add another for your list! (You should see mine! Ack!)

Old Rome. It's not as powerfully 'rose' as Old Venice, but still delightful. I almost prefer it now, after a second wearing.

I actually couldn't smell the rose in Old Venice on me, which is weird but good for me, since my body chemistry seems to act like an amplifier for rose scents and I dislike them in general. Old Venice had a lot going on at once, but I couldn't smell any rose.

I too never ever dreamed that I would become such a huge fan of smelling like a rose! But I have, thanks to Beth's genius. So far the ones I love are:

Othello -- spicy expensive powdery rose

Ophelia -- delicate watery rose-based floral

Queen Mab -- though this isn't as rosy on me as much as just nice crisp floral and sandalwood

Old London, which I never expected to love but is a crisp, dry, clean rose single note on me

Spellbound, which I hated in the vial but was miraculously strong and deep smelling when I put just a single drop on

I am dying to try Alice, Eve, Persephone, and any other sweet/juicy/fruity ones you can think of!

I can't distinguish the rose in Old venice either. #20 love oil is definitely rose, and how about black rose?

Blood Rose and Black Rose are my favourites so far and DEFINITE BBPs (Big Bottle Purchases :P ) for me! :D

Edited by Donnababe

----Roses and Me---

Persephone has a very sweet rose on me, but that scent is very bipolar, I find,

sometimes it's way pomegranate, othertimes it's rose, but more of a golden sugared tea rose if such a thing exists.

I've smelled Lucy's Kiss but sent it to a friend. I do remember it having a very unique, cultured and slightly screwy rose which I liked a lot.

My roommate bought Eve and it smells wonderful on her, better, I think than it ever smelled on me when I first gave her the Imp. That one has a lot of layers and the apple is more distinctive than the rose, but I think it's a great blend.

Spellbound is one of the most amazing rose scents ever. I adore it, but I can see how its not for everyone. It's really intense and the spices do make it slightly, hippie-ish, at least in my humble opinion, but it's a slinky, sexy smell for me. It makes me feel like I'm all done up and really glowing in a slightly devious way.

From what I remember of Ophelia, another gift, was that the rose in it was way white and elegant, Kind of Marilyn Monroe's dress over the air grate kind of floaty white rose.

Psyche, which I got lots o' compliments on, has bulgar rose which I'm not too familiar with, but it makes a great blend with the lavendar (which was for me, the dominant scent). Kind of adds a different strata for the other scents to be separated by.

I've tried Sepulchre, but I haven't had enough time with it to sort out the rose from the lilies. Noir, the same, but I think Noir's so complicated that I'll never know one part from the other and must be content to love it just as it is. :P