Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Salsa Shark

Milk and Cream Notes

Maybe I'm just weird, but I got some creaminess out of Antique Lace. Not so much in the bottle, but defininately once it got on my skin and sat a while. And it wasn't too terribly strong either, just kinda there playing around with the sweetness. It was really nice and went really well with the rest of the scent.

I also love cream/milky scents! From what I have tried so far I get it from Katrina Van Tassel (creamy rose), Alice, and Antique Lace ends up being creamy vanilla on me.

I got a lot of milk/cream out of Ichabod Crane. Very close to the milk in Milk Moon to my nose.

Edited by birdiefu

It's interesting--I find that a milk note usually makes the scent disappear on my skin (both Dana O'Shee and Sudha Segara did this, though Alice stuck around beautifully on me).

Cream, on the other hand, will enhance a scent for me, taking notes that don't work on me normally and toning them down so that they are truly delightful. This was particularly noticeable in Katrina Van Tassel and in Lady Lilith with the florals; I'm finding that Prunella, too, is enhanced by its cream component (I have a hit-or-miss record with most fruits).

I've currently got The Gaoler's Daughter on order--I'll be interested to see if the cream will tone down the otherwise iffy gardenia and peach--and Agrat-Bat-Mahlaht, where I hope the cream and amber mitigate apple blossom and caramel (aka, on my chemistry, Screaming Floral and Nasty Burnt Sugar, respectively).

It looks like most "innocent young maiden" scents contain either milk or cream...

Alice is mega on the milk. Didn't initially like this but wow, we are good friends now!

Like another poster I too get cream in The Candy Butcher.

Katrina Von Tassel is also quite creamy. It didn't like me, alas!

Can anyone suggest something that has a whipped cream-like smell to it? Like thick cream and sugar? Preferably without too much else, but I know that would be kinda hard to find...

unlaced, the closest thing to that - at least on my skin - is Midway. It becomes a very simple, creamy, sweet scent. It does not have the strong cream note that a lot of other BPALs have, more of a creamy undertone. But if you can find some it might fit the bill for you.

And, I thought I'd cross post this request here for maximum results ;)

Hey, bumping this thread with a question :) ^^

Okay i am looking for something kinda specific.....

An oil with cream, or honey (though both is okay too) tones that does NOT smell foody in any way, exclusing Katrina Van Tassle (who is already my favorite but i am looking for something new ^^)

I don't find either Dana or Love's philosophy foody and Dana is definitely sweet and milky and Love's philosophy definitely creamy sweet goodness.

I love creamy/milky scents, I still haven't found the perfect white creamy milk only scent, I don't know if it exists yet.

So far I've tried:

Sudha Sehara (love the milk in this but it also has ginger)

Obatala (again love the milk but coconut)

Dana O'Shee (I love this creamy almond)

White Rabbit (Creamy Linen)

Stinky (powder and milky cream)

Boo (sugar, vanilla cream but too beige for it to be what I'm looking for)

The Gladdener of Hearts (milky pink)

Snow White (creamy almonds, florals and coconut, love)

Dragon Milk (don't like, too sweet!)

Milk Moon 07 (don't like too tart/fruity milk the grapes made this not work for me)

Nonae Caprotina (again don't like fruity milk but I like it better than Milk Moon 07)

Katrina Von Tassel (creamy roses, love)

Love's Philosophy (creamy vanilla, but turns plasticky on me :( )

Ichabod Crane (one of my favorite milky blends)

The one's I want to try:

Zarita the Doll Girl

Chaste Moon

Organ Grinder

Milk Moon 05

Shadewell

The Seafoam's Milk

Egg Nog

Phantom Cow of Yerba Buena

Castitas

I know these have other notes in them and they're not just milk/cream but I'm hoping they may turn out that way on me.

Are there any other recommendations?

Edited by cfrancesca

Hi! Of the "still-to-tries" in your list, I've tried Sea Foams Milk and Shadwell, and I wouldn't get your hopes up too high for milk-only from them- they each have definitely other stuff going on. Of course, you may like them for what they are!

Have you tried Castitas bath oil from BPTP? It's creamy with a hint of vanilla. You can use the bath oils as though they were perfume oils, or as moisturizing oils - you don't need to use them in a bath.

milk moon '05. it's just straight up milk/cream on my skin.

The milk moons smell more fruity than just creamy/milky to me. Reminds me of a creamsickle, but more pineapple than orange. Or is my olfactory sense just wonky?

not sure. milk moon '05 smells very different that milk moon '07 to me (which does kinda small like a pineapple creamcicle).

milk moon '05 is very straightforward milk. it lists honey as a note but i don't get it at all.

milk moon '07 lists a ton of fruit in it's notes but it mostly smells like a pina colada to me.

Hi everyone!

I was just chit chatting with a friend about this and it got me to really thinking. I am really starting to fall in love with milk notes, but the problem I have with them is that they are most usually paired with honey (I'm looking at you, Milk Moon). Honey, at least in BPAL scents, just does not work with my skin at all. Well...that's not true. Sibyl works, so I'll just say that it is very rare that it does.

But the types of milk I am looking for are the ewe/goat milk notes! I smelled it in Candles Moon and I absolutely loved it (but the scent didn't work due to the wax). I'm eyeing Nonae Caprotina, but since that's retired and, currently, hard to find...

Do any of you have some suggestions? I'd love to hear them (even if they do have honey...).

I don't know that I have that many suggestions, but I just wanted to share the milk note love! I would say try and get Nonae Caprotina. It does appear from time to time in the swaps/sales thread. It's really spectacular! I thought, do I really need another milk note perfume, but then I tried it and fell in love (it has a nice herbal quality too). It's my favorite "sleep" scent!

Most of the milk notes I can think of are LEs. Chaste Moon has a milky scent, as I recall, but again, an LE. The Ghost Cow of Yerba Buena Island is another, but even harder to get than some of these others (and I personally find it similar to Nonae, but I like Nonae more).

Some other scents that have milk or creamy notes are Alice and Sudha Segara, but while I enjoy Alice, it's not quite "milky" enough when I'm craving that... Sudha Segara never smelled that milky to me....not sure I remember what note was played up (the honey?) but something overwhelmed the milk.

I haven't tried Bread and Butterfly, but if you like tea, it might be interesting to try to.

But I'd say go for Nonae!

Edited by cuervosueno

Yeah, I saw a couple Nonae bottles floating around a few months ago and now I'm kicking myself for not grabbing one. :cry2:

I tried Alice but the honey did something...terrible with the bergamot oil. It was really sad. I wanted to like Alice because it sounds just so perfect. Sudha Segara I'll try if I happen upon it, but since honey is there I'm not gonna actively seek it out. Bread-and-Butter-Fly is already on my radar but I just haven't bothered to order anything since I'm already awash with imps as it is. *chuckle* I might just have to try it at the next Brick and Mortar.

Chaste Moon, however, sounds divine and I'll put that on my wishlist.

Thanks Cuervosueno!

I also love milk notes, but like you.. I don't have a lot of luck with them - and it's always due to what other notes are in the blend!

A couple of my faves that you may not have tried yet:

Stinky - newly-washed skin with a dusting of milk, white honey, and baby powder

The milk is very soft in this, and the honey behaves itself for me. It definitely is baby-powderish, but not in a bad way. Reviews are here.

Werepuppy - A fuzzy brown honey-dusted musk covering freshly-washed baby skin and a howl of milk breath. In the background, there's the barest hint of upturned soil and dew-covered squished stems from a trampled flowerbed.

This is another of those soft powdery blends, but it's very pretty, and again the honey is super soft and well behaved. I actually swapped mine away because it was so similar to Stinky (and I preferred Stinky), but that's just how they turned out to be for me - you might get different results. Reviews are here.

Sadly, both of those were LE blends.. but you should be able to track down a decant if you check the For Sale topic.

Just so you know.. I found Nonae a bit sour, and I used to love Milk Moon (the 2007 variety) - it was a fave for ages - but I've gone off that now too, again with the sour. Stinky and Werepuppy are very different to both Nonae and Milk Moon, but I think they're both lovely so maybe you will too :smile:

I second the recommendation of Nonae.

This might not apply to everyone, but Boo comes off on my skin as sour goat milk. I tried Boo before I did Nonae, and my first impression of Nonae was, "Boo?". It comes off as both sweeter and more tangy than Nonae somehow. You could easily track down a decant if you'd like to try it, as it's available now.

I was given a bottle of Phantom Cow, and on me it smelled like herb butter/milk. Nice, but not me. I've been meaning to toss it back up on Pay it Forward, so it won't be completely impossible to find.

Since you mentioned goat's milk in particular, have you tried to find one of last year's Yules? Mother Shub's Spiced Lait de Chevre? That was a goat's milk eggnog, and it might still be relatively findable.

Nthing Nonae, but also bumping up the recommendation of Phantom Cow--it's easier to find than Nonae, and has the same sort of fresh milk scent as Milk Moon 05, but with a hint of greenishness instead of honey. Milk Moon 07 was more like a smoothie than milk-and-fruit on my skin. Nonae on me is very sweet because of the myrrh and fig, and has a heavier goat-milk smell as opposed to the lighter cow's milk. Both of those notes are very different than any kind of bpal 'cream' note that I've ever experienced, which are very thick and sweet (almost icing-ish, even) on me.

For anyone who loves the cream in Katrina van Tassel, you might try Pussy.

Pussy's notes are orange blossom honey, brown sugar, saffron, tonka absolute, and tobacco leaf. Cream isn't mentioned, but my nose found it there!

And it's available for one more week! I'm getting at least two bottles... :joy: