Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Donnababe

Almond and Amaretto

Seconding Eclipse -- when I first apply it, it smells almost exactly like almond extract. This calms down after about 5 minutes, and then it's similar to Dana O'Shee - but with more prominent almond.

Thirding Eclipse- pure almond oil extract.

Seraglio and Uruk are also very almondy. On me, Seraglio was sweet almond + orange peel and spices and Uruk was cinnamon almond.

Has anyone gotten *bitter* almond from any of the aforementioned oils? I love the bitter almond in Queen of Sheba, but every other bpal I've tried with almond turns way sweet. Any suggestions?

Fourthing Dana O Shee and seconding Asp Viper which smells like delicious almond cake. I also get an almondy/marzipan feel from Chimera.

I don't do well with most of the lab's almond blends though, a lot of them turn bitter and acrid, so the three above are my three BPAL almond favourites.

I'm going to suggest Horn of Plenty. It has a distinct almond scent, very sweet but not overwhelming. I haven't tried any of the other suggestions, though, so I can't say how well it compares.

Hecate is the most almond-y scent I've ever smelled. It turns to powder on me, but in the bottle it's perfect. If almond notes do well on you, you will love it.

Hecate is the most almond-y scent I've ever smelled. It turns to powder on me, but in the bottle it's perfect. If almond notes do well on you, you will love it.

Yes!!! Thank you! I was considering Hecate among others, but reading the reviews it sounds like exactly what I want! Thanks a bunch! :P

It seems that every blend I try that had a strong almond note, starts out smelling AMAZING- like sweet amaretto or almond extract, but after a few moments, it disappears completely. I've had this happen with Eclipse, Baron Samedi, Hellcat, Port-Au-prince, and Queen of Sheba. I'm not sure if it's just my skin sucking it all up, but which blends best retain their almondness instead of playing hide and go seek? ;)

It seems that every blend I try that had a strong almond note, starts out smelling AMAZING- like sweet amaretto or almond extract, but after a few moments, it disappears completely. I've had this happen with Eclipse, Baron Samedi, Hellcat, Port-Au-prince, and Queen of Sheba. I'm not sure if it's just my skin sucking it all up, but which blends best retain their almondness instead of playing hide and go seek? ;)

:GoodPost: I have the same problem and the same desire... I love almond! I've tried using almond-y scents in my hair or applying them to my clothes, but that only helps a little... that beautiful, delicious almond note is still so fleeting! Please do tell if you know of a blend where it stick around. :beg:

I'm waiting to see how Ms Lupscaru (sp)does...

ETA: It's really almondy at first and then gets dry and spicy. I like Hecate and Snake Oil better.

Edited by lookingglass

I put Uruk into a rollerball with jojoba oil, and it stays almondy for hours. :heart:

Uruk was hearbreaking on me... all nasty jasmine! Salomé, too. :cry2:

I'm waiting to see how Ms Lupscaru (sp)does...

Yes, I have high hopes for Miss Lupescu and am hoping to score a decant at some point. Fingers crossed.

I put Uruk into a rollerball with jojoba oil, and it stays almondy for hours. :heart:

Uh, the same thing happened to me with Salome and Uruk! It was terrible. :( The other notes sounded good, and I expected almondy goodness, but got nothing but jasmine.

That said, on *me* Eclipse turns out to be close to the skin but surprisingly almondy for ages... last week I dabbed some on at after breakfast, and when I offered my wrist to my boyfriend to sniff late in the evening... I was wearing a completely different scent further up my forearm that I had applied much more recently, but he immediately said I smelled almondy with a bit of cinammon and incense!

That said, on *me* Eclipse turns out to be close to the skin but surprisingly almondy for ages... last week I dabbed some on at after breakfast, and when I offered my wrist to my boyfriend to sniff late in the evening... I was wearing a completely different scent further up my forearm that I had applied much more recently, but he immediately said I smelled almondy with a bit of cinammon and incense!

*jealous* Where is the green-with-envy emoticon? :lol:

Out of the gates, Eclipse is almost perfect, but it turns soapy and powdery on my skin very rapidly. I tried it on my clothes and it stayed better longer, but eventually it turned to soap there, too.

So far, I'm having the best luck with a frimp of Dana O'Shee that I received in a swap. It's still not as potently almond as I would like (and a little too vanillic), but it's nice. I had tried it previously (fresh from the Lab, I think) and didn't like it - it was too sweet and sharp. I guess maybe aging helped mellow it?

I still yearn for a long-lasting almond extract scent, though.

I've been on a major almond kick lately. I recently fell hard for Eclipse, but I have a feeling not all almond scents are for me. I remember Queen of Sheba being a totally overpowering almond and so I swapped it away. I like Voodoo, Black Phoenix & Miss Lupescu, but I don't think any other almond scent will be as perfect on me as Eclipse is.

I'm also really craving almond pastries right now.

I've been on a major almond kick lately. I recently fell hard for Eclipse, but I have a feeling not all almond scents are for me. I remember Queen of Sheba being a totally overpowering almond and so I swapped it away. I like Voodoo, Black Phoenix & Miss Lupescu, but I don't think any other almond scent will be as perfect on me as Eclipse is.

Have you tried Bilquis?

I recently tried all the blends I had with almond, just to see if I still enjoyed almond. Some of them had been getting a little too cloyingly sweet.

Here's my thoughts:

Queen of Sheba: Way too strong in the imp, but settled down nicely on my skin. I definitley like this one.

Salome: Would be nice if it weren't for the jasmine. Unfortunately that overpowers any almond for me.

Eclipse: Starts off a little strange, but settles into something gorgeous and comforting.

Voodoo: Not terrible, but the almond here sweetens the pine and gets a little heavy. Would be nicer in Winter.

The Organ Grinder: Much too much. Anything with sarsaparilla or sassafrass rarely agrees with me. The almond here gets way too heavy due to the inclusion of other saccharine sweet notes. Then there's the pine again. I don't think almond & pine together work for me.

Hellcat: Very Sweet! I think I like it though, it's a creamy kind of sweet.

Miss Lupescu: Starts off weird, dries down nice. There is a hint of what I didn't like about The Organ Grinder here, but it doesn't last. This is fairly pretty, but not something I'd wear often.

Calliope: This smells a little bit too "kitcheny" for me. Almond sweetens up some citursy herbals but is ultimately overpowered by them.

Butter Rum Cookie: Yum, yum, yum! If you like the foodiness of almond, this is the blend for you!

Hony Mone: One of the few blends in which jasmine does not ruin it. The almond here is delicious and sweet.

Overall- Almond is fine for me in some blends, and not so fine in others. It's not a note that is going to make me go out and buy a scent just for it's inclusion, but it gives a pleasnt sweetness to certain scents. I love it when it's partnered with honey. Not so much with pine.

Have you tried Bilquis?

I have not. I'll have to add a decant to my wishlist though.

Uh, the same thing happened to me with Salome and Uruk! It was terrible. :( The other notes sounded good, and I expected almondy goodness, but got nothing but jasmine.

That is amazingly unfair, as I like jasmine and don't smell it in there at all!

I really wish the Organ Grinder didn't have pine. How about a blend with almond, patchouli,tobacco, and some musk, for good measure?