Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
quinkel

Different smells/colors, same perfume

This is very odd, I have a bottle of The Infernal Lover and I have a sniffie. The oil in the bottle is colorless and the oil in the sniffie is very dark (red/brown). The bottle doesn't smell like Red Musk, it smells more like honeyed cream, and the sniffie really does smell like Red Musk. Are there two versions of The Infernal Lover floating around or did I get a mislabeled bottle?

There are two versions. I received a bottle from a swap and it was a honeyed cream scent, with the usual golden colored oil. The bottle I purchased from the Lab when the weenies were released is dark red oil, and smells like heavy red musk and honey.

I've been meaning to ask this since I got this bottle from the lab, but... does anyone else's Black Temple Burlesque Troupe do this?

http://twitpic.com/2hsdnz

I wasn't surprised that it was thick. But should it be that goopy?

:eek: Holy cow! Does it smell the same? I don't use a wand so I suppose I can't be sure, but my coffee straw comes out relatively clean.

That is some thick oil!

This is very odd, I have a bottle of The Infernal Lover and I have a sniffie. The oil in the bottle is colorless and the oil in the sniffie is very dark (red/brown). The bottle doesn't smell like Red Musk, it smells more like honeyed cream, and the sniffie really does smell like Red Musk. Are there two versions of The Infernal Lover floating around or did I get a mislabeled bottle?

There are two versions. I received a bottle from a swap and it was a honeyed cream scent, with the usual golden colored oil. The bottle I purchased from the Lab when the weenies were released is dark red oil, and smells like heavy red musk and honey.

I have the same problem. My bottle of The Infernal Lover is lacking the red musk. I thought this morning when I tried it, maybe there was something wrong with skin chemistry etc, but after reading that this isn't specific to me, I'm really not happy that I ordered a red musk blend that doesn't seem to have any red musk in it! That's a rather extreme variation.

I have the same problem. My bottle of The Infernal Lover is lacking the red musk. I thought this morning when I tried it, maybe there was something wrong with skin chemistry etc, but after reading that this isn't specific to me, I'm really not happy that I ordered a red musk blend that doesn't seem to have any red musk in it! That's a rather extreme variation.

Same... I emailed the lab about it 5 days ago or so and still haven't heard a response, because my mind was just like blown by the utter lack of red musk. Anyone heard back from the lab at all concerning infernal lover variations?

Because meanwhile I am kinda morally meh on swapping it until we know more (I am very meh on cream/milk scents, but a red musk fiend), in case it is a mistake or missing a component. Because this seems like such an extreme scent difference :/ It really is like someone just forgot to add the red musk that would appear to be the main component in the original

Obviously I haven't liked every single scent I have ever tried from the lab, but I've never been disappointed with an order and felt so mislead as with this blend. Because its not like I am imagining notes wrong or how they will go with my skin chemistry... like after reading the reviews of the original I feel like I was promised pizza, and given a sack of mozzarella cheese... yes its an ingredient in pizza... but it alone is nothing like pizza.

With every other order I've ever had from the lab its been more like I ordered pizza, had no idea what toppings it would come with or how it would taste... but I always got the pizza I ordered whether it suited my personal tastes or not.

Edited by tativa

I've been meaning to ask this since I got this bottle from the lab, but... does anyone else's Black Temple Burlesque Troupe do this?

http://twitpic.com/2hsdnz

I wasn't surprised that it was thick. But should it be that goopy?

:eek: Holy cow! Does it smell the same? I don't use a wand so I suppose I can't be sure, but my coffee straw comes out relatively clean.

That is some thick oil!

It does (or rather, did) pretty much smell the same, I think... it was definitely some delicious-smelling sludge! I e-mailed the Lab about it and they were nice enough to let me send it back for credit. :wub2: I would've loved there to just be some random BTBT laying around for them to send back to me (ha!), but I'll take what I can get.

Same... I emailed the lab about it 5 days ago or so and still haven't heard a response, because my mind was just like blown by the utter lack of red musk. Anyone heard back from the lab at all concerning infernal lover variations?

Because meanwhile I am kinda morally meh on swapping it until we know more (I am very meh on cream/milk scents, but a red musk fiend), in case it is a mistake or missing a component. Because this seems like such an extreme scent difference :/ It really is like someone just forgot to add the red musk that would appear to be the main component in the original

Obviously I haven't liked every single scent I have ever tried from the lab, but I've never been disappointed with an order and felt so mislead as with this blend. Because its not like I am imagining notes wrong or how they will go with my skin chemistry... like after reading the reviews of the original I feel like I was promised pizza, and given a sack of mozzarella cheese... yes its an ingredient in pizza... but it alone is nothing like pizza.

With every other order I've ever had from the lab its been more like I ordered pizza, had no idea what toppings it would come with or how it would taste... but I always got the pizza I ordered whether it suited my personal tastes or not.

I was just reading this and ran to sniff my new back-up bottle that arrived just this last week, and it too is missing the red musk! Oh! I'm so sad! :cry2: I now see the two bottles I have of this blend are drastically different. I'm glad I read this and ran to check, I emailed the lab too.

Huh, I should probably email the lab too, but I appreciate knowing what others are experiencing too. Like Tativa said, sometimes you order something and it doesn't work out, but this isn't a small variation. I ordered pizza and got breadsticks. huh?

This is the response I just received from the awesome Bill in customer service:

Thank you for your inquiry! It definitely sounds like there is an issue with mis-labeled bottles. Please bear with me, I am looking into this for somebody else as well, and I will get back to you ASAP to resolve this. Thank you for your patience with this incident!

Wow, I wasn't expecting so many people with the same problem :eek: Very strange. I haven't emailed the Lab about it, I feel like I've bothered Bill a bit too much lately and I like this version as well. I ordered another bottle before this one even arrived (I loved the sniffie so I figured I needed another bottle) so I wonder which version I'm going to receive.

I'm very curious about the Labs response though!

Edit: I just read your post mxtine and I'm curious which bottle we received.

Edited by Suusje

O.o New prototype? Naw, I'm not that lucky. But maybe something did get mislabeled. That would explain things.

Oh my gosh! I got a bottle of The Infernal Lover and swapped it because it was too heavy on the red musk. I got the "real" one. However, this honeyed creamy one sounds gorgeous! :P

Glad I stopped by this tread. I have the honeyed cream Infernal Lover too. That explains everything - I thought my skin chemistry had gone completely wonky with the honey and cream overpowering the red musk. I didn't even think clear oil = no red musk in blend.

For those of you who have emailed the lab, please keep updating with the lab's response. Thank you!

If you're experiencing the same thing, you should probably email the lab as well. I think they made a mistake, but it sounds like they are going to correct it, last I heard.

So it's missing the red musk, it isn't mislabeled?

I just figured that they are sending a replacement because its missing components. They didn't really tell me why, but I'm glad I'm getting the real Infernal Lover now. :joy:

So it's missing the red musk, it isn't mislabeled?

I just figured that they are sending a replacement because its missing components. They didn't really tell me why, but I'm glad I'm getting the real Infernal Lover now. :joy:

It would seem that way. I kinda figure with how few of us there are, they likely don't have any of the mistake left in the lab, so we prob will never know for sure.

With all of our reports though, it seems to me that the missing component is most likely, because other than Boo I don't know of a sweet cream dominated scent (and its missing the linen note, I tried them side by side) that is out right now. And I think if it was an Infernal Lover proto, it would have had a different label to it, like the ones from the will call/ NYCC pics?

Idk open to anyone elses thoughts on this mystery too, I am very happy to be getting the real one (and perhaps comparing the two will shed light on the mystery) but still insanely curious what blend we have.

Sounds like a mistake to me, but I'm glad the Lab is correcting it by sending out new bottles. Is it safe to call this a different version of The Infernal Lover?

Sounds like a mistake to me, but I'm glad the Lab is correcting it by sending out new bottles. Is it safe to call this a different version of The Infernal Lover?

Well since its missing its infernal component, this one would just be 'lover'

Or Dough Boy Lover... for both the 'play dough' associations some people had, or in my mind the fact it smells like components in a baked good. It smells like shortbread cookie dough to me (now that its had some time to settle), so I could imagine this is what a baker would smell like being naughty in the kitchen with his skin heating up the dough on his skin a little.

Well since its missing its infernal component, this one would just be 'lover'

Or Dough Boy Lover... for both the 'play dough' associations some people had, or in my mind the fact it smells like components in a baked good. It smells like shortbread cookie dough to me (now that its had some time to settle), so I could imagine this is what a baker would smell like being naughty in the kitchen with his skin heating up the dough on his skin a little.

or "pg 13 lover" :lol: I love the scent, I'm wearing it today as a matter of fact. It definitely lacks the staying power of red musk components though.

Oh damn. I just went and checked my backup bottle... But now I am really confused.

I ordered my first bottle on August 23rd, shipped on September 14th.

I ordered the second bottle on September 27th, shipped on October 14th.

Here is my TIL review for the first bottle.

My second bottle smelled heavily of sour milk when I opened it to check. On the skin, it smells like sour milk and incense.

But here is the thing... that first bottle, the oil is nearly colorless (and tipping the bottle sideways, I can see the label on the far side of the bottle through the oil)... but I can definitely smell red musk. This is the TIL that I am in love with. I wanted at least one backup of this scent.

The second bottle is a dark orangish hue. When I tip the bottle sideways, I can't see anything through the oil.

Which is the "real" Infernal Lover, and which one is The Infernal Tease?

ETA: I decanted vials of both versions. In the clear glass, bottle one is a very pale gold color. Bottle two is a dark reddish/orangish/brown very dense color.

I am *REALLY* hoping it was a mislabeling issue rather than a just-skipped-the-musk issue. What I suspect is the "real" TIL is nasty while wet, and disappears almost completely shortly after. The clear/bottle one scent stays for *hours* and smells almost like my chaos amber scent that I adore. I can't imagine that just adding red musk (a note that usually does very well on my skin) could cause that many changes. Hmmmm.

Edited by Rocza

Red musk blends are never clear because red musk itself is a colored oil. Maybe there's something in the first bottle that mimics the scent of red musk to your nose. I have both. The clear oil version has no red musk in it at all to my nose - it's just honey and cream. The dark oil version is red musk heavy - it's exactly what I imagined The Infernal Lover would smell like. For some reason, my skin eats up the red musk in this blend after a few hours. After the red musk burns off, all I smell is the honey and cream - identical to the clear oil version on my skin. Hope that helps.

Edited by bluerose