Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Heretic

Wulric, the Wolfman (2006)

Friendly, charming, and cuddly, but possessing one hell of a mean streak: cocoa absolute, French vanilla, birch tar, lavender, bourbon vetiver, wild musk, clary sage, and cistus.

This is a really great scent. The first and formost thing I smell is the cocoa. Lots of chocolate. I'm not a chocolate fan, but what really saves it is the vanilla. The vanilla tempers the chocolate, and keeps it from getting too enthousiastic. Every so often, you get a breath of something metallic-ish-- lavender? and a touch of something like mint. Would that be Wulric's mean streak? :P Oddly enough, this doesn't quite remind me of "Wluric," as portrayed by the Lab... it reminds me of Remus Lupin. :D;

In the bottle: Cocoa and lavender, underscored by sage. The cocoa separates from the rest of the blend (rolling the bottle before applying seems like a good idea)

On: At first it's dark chocolate with one heck of a lavender kick

Dry down: The lavender cools down a little, and ever so slowly the vanilla starts to appear.

I use this as my sleep scent, and there is usually a musky vanilla residue left when I wake up. :P

In the bottle, this smells nice. Mild and sort of sweet but I can't pick out anything. I don't recognize any of the notes and nothing stands out.

Unfortunately, on me, this turns to the scent of spoiled dog food. It's only the second BPAL scent I've had to wash off me soon after putting it on because I found it so unpleasant. I'm really disappointed.

I got a decant of Wulric at first, but loved it so much I had to get a bottle-

In the bottle- Wow, you can really smell the lavender and the cocoa in this. There's the ghost of the vanilla in the wet, and the slightest tang of vetiver.

On the wrist- WHOA, this becomes almost foodie with the intensity of the cocoa absolute and the vanilla. The musk, which I can't smell in the bottle, comes straght to the front. The one thing that saves it from being a sweetie's paradise is the vetiver, which brings it back down to earth.

Overall- The throw on this one lasts a while. When it fades, it only leaves the cocoa behind with a drop of the musk, which is very sweet and nom-able. When I first tried it on, it left me huffing my wrist for ages afterwards. I initially picked it up hoping for a Fenris Wolf-esque werewolf, but Wulric is much more charming and gentlemanly. He's a keeper.

=^..^=

Edited by Kittenmorag

Vanilla paper with trees! The lavender in this one is more floral than herbal or camphorous. I'm not picking up a lot of cocoa.

Putting on Wulric today made me wonder " did I ever review that " ? Obviously not , so here it goes . Wulric is one of the few BPALs I have with a chocolate note in it . Mainly because I think it blends so well with the other notes in this bottle . I do get the vanilla & lavender , but both are behind the cocoa . Initially , at least . As this drys , it becomes a warm , leathery scent with a bit of smoke & cocoa . Sweet , but not very at all . Just enough .

Wulric came to me in I believe was the second order I made . It was this amazing scent that made me want to look deeper into the Carnival . Because I was very up in the air about even ordering it . It just didn't strike me as something I'd like . Because I was afraid that the cocoa would over power all other notes , & me smelling like a cupcake isn't in the mix . But much to my enjoyment , Wulric was quite the surprise . And it's been BPAL love ever since .

I am in LOVE with Wulric the wolfman!

It's a dark dirty chocolate scent and I can't get enough of it!

It dries to a nice chocolate-y musk that I can't wait to try on my DH, I must have more of this!

Wow, normally I cannot tolerate anything with vetiver in it, but in this case, it works on me. I think it's the cocoa and vanilla taming the vetiver enough to be wearable. This is a sharp scent, but is an interesting blend that is unique and works well with my chemistry.

Chocolate grass. When I first tried it, the herbal knocked me down so I let it settle for 24 hours and decided to try it again. I'm really digging it now. Even after the chocolate fades to a whisper and it becomes more herbal/lavender, it's still lovely. While I do think this is more of a delicate men's fragrance on my skin, I could put this in a scent locket and just smell chocolate grass all day. I can handle that. :P

I really thought I had posted a review of this one, but apparently I didn't.

Wulric was in my very first bottle order, and he was the first (unsniffed!) bottle I tried. I'm glad, because he was auch a wonderful choice, and I fell immediately and madly in love. Masculine, but not overly so, so I can wear it comfortably. Complicated, but sophisticated. The notes are separate, but complimentary, fuzzing together, but still distinct. Sweet, woody, and dark, with bright flashes from the lavender and sage. After it aged a few weeks, I've noticed that the cocoa keeps its presence better, readily apparent from the start and lasting well through most of the day. Or maybe I hadn't quite realized at first how thickly separated this can be, and now I'm properly mixing before application. This is just an amazingly dark and sexy blend, a little sweet, and still so wonderfully fuzzy and snuggly.

I snuck some onto the boyfriend, and it goes a bit muskier, darker and deeper on him, and my nose was plastered to him for a good while. Wulric is definitely a winner on either gender, to my nose. As a matter of fact, I was forced to put another bottle into my next order to keep the boyfriend from stealing my bottle away entirely. So we've both fallen head over heels in love with the same werewolf! Who'd a thunk it?

Thank you CoopieCat (if you ever read this) for recommending this one to me! :P

I was wary of the vetiver before trying this but I can't smell it at all! Unless this is a different kind of vetiver?

Really liking the lavender and cocoa combination, it makes for a rather soothing scent. The cocoa is strongest when the oil is wet, becoming more subtle as it dries. The herbaceous notes bring to mind cloudy skies and wild grasses and images of sage plants (that cool silver-green color of the leaves and the gentle lavender-hued flowers), and mingles nicely with the vanilla and cocoa.

The musk is very nice and fuzzy.

Gender-neutral.

ETA today I tried Wulric on again and it feels muskier this time, rather like a richer Villain slathered in dark chocolate. Hell yeah. Backup-worthy, methinks.

Edited by MisterShrapnel

In the bottle: Sharp herbal chocolate

On the skin: Slowly turns into a sweeter chocolate with definite florals beneath the smooth chocolate. I think this is pretty nice on the skin and I don't usually like to smell chocolaty! I normally dislike any scent with vetiver, but I actually don't smell it at all. Yay!

Boyfriend's verdict: Wow, even though I think of this as a pretty foody scent that he would love, he actually turned down his nose at this one!! I am so surprised! I think this one may get traded away....

Well, I gave my wrist to him a few minutes later and now he says that he thinks it is excellent! I have no idea what happened because it smells exactly the same to me. Ah, well. This one is actually going in the keep pile!! Yay! I really like this one, but I wasn't going to keep it if my boyfriend really didn't like it...

In the imp, deep dark cocoa, a tiny hint of lavender and something slightly metallic right down the bottom somewhere.

Wet, cocoa and vanilla. Very foody. Am looking forward to further developments, because at this point it won't work for me. And here comes some change already...the musk is here, and it's altogether lost any foodie overtones. This is deep, rich and amazing. It's already smelling masculine, but not so overtly that I won't want to wear it.

Dry, this is so unbelievably sexy! It's still got a masculine feel to it, but that doesn't make the slightest bit of difference to how I feel about it. This is thick, and rich and beautiful. Will be absolutely back for more of this!

Edited by maikastar

Going on, Wulric smells 100% of lavender until it hits my skin--and then all I get is cocoa! As it dries down, it starts to turn a little weird on me, like lavender plastic or something of that nature. (I have a on-and-off relationship with chocolate notes.)

Over time, I smell herbal, dusty cocoa, and to me it smells as though this scent is losing a battle with my skin chemistry. I think I may have to try it in a scent locket or in my hair…

By several hours into my trial, I'm convinced that my skin chemistry doesn't like Wulric, from the unpleasant herbally/plasticky smell that I'm getting. What a shame--it's so lovely at first! I'm definitely going to try this one in my locket because I really, really like it before it gets ruined by my (annoying) skin chemistry.

Recaplet: Herbal dusty cocoa plastic. Stupid skin chemistry.

My rating: 1 of 5 (I'm not fond of it.) … with potential to change if it works in a locket or my hair.

Color impression: Pale dusty brown with green.

I like lavender but I have used it for years for depression and purification and it can be kind of utilitarian for me. This is my first of the bpal lavender blends and I am totally astonished by what happened in it! My favorite stage with this is when I first put it on and I feel like all the ingredients really jump out at me and it seems complex and sophisticated. It is very blended nonetheless so that I really am just impressed by how good it smells and not aware of each ingredient separately. I love the wolfman. I love Lon Chaney. This is very much a big furry guy in a plaid flannel shirt for me. I wear it on days when anything too bracing would make me even sleepier. Like Mondays. So it is kind of an antidepressant but in a very sophisticated way and not utilitarian at all. Cocoa and lavender together are sweet and smooth and blend perfectly with the other ingredients kind of deepening everything. I need to try other lavender blends now because I feel enlightened by Wulric but I may try to fund another bottle purchase before the Carnival leaves. It does seem unisex to me. The way a plaid flannel shirt is unisex. And it is sexy in a comforting way. I could wear it everyday but it is not necessarily an everyday fragrance. It seems very unique and special to me. On me the drydown is very bourbon vanilla like with just a little warm smokiness in the background. It is just great in all of its stages.

I threw a decant of this into a recent forum sale on a whim--I have no idea what I was thinking, since it contains two of my absolute death notes (cocoa and sage) as well as lavender, which is iffy on me.

In the imp: Rich, bittersweet cocoa blended with lavender; very soft and comforting

Wet on skin: OM NOM NOM NOM...the lovely cocoa/lavender blend is grounded by the vetiver and tar, thus keeping the cocoa from turning to cardboard and the lavender from amping into a screaming herbal monster as it is wont to do.

Dry on skin: The deep, non-foody richness of the cocoa is sweetened by the lavender and kept in check by the deeper notes mentioned above.

This has become my favorite bedtime scent. My imp is more than halfway gone so I will probably have to spring for a bottle soon.

Bottle: CHOCOLATE!!!!!

On me:

- Wet: Hershey Kiss. I could literally eat myself to death like Pizza the Hut.

- Dry: The chocolate smell gives way to something weird. I'm not spicy...or flowery...or boozy....or vanilla-y. Something very dry and less warm than the chocolate odor, then it meets a smokey death.

On MGP:

- Wet: The same incredibly edible smell. This is what that Axe commercial with the dark chocolate guy wishes it smelled like.

- Dry: Still chocolate.

This is where I feel obligated to point out that these are my interpretations of the smell. He could not smell anything remotely like chocolate on himself, irrespective of the oil being wet or dry. The MGP swears that it smells like Snake Oil and only after three hours wear did he get chocolate notes.

We both give it a 4/5.

Edited by DigitalCoyote

This is a cleaner cocoa than the Tell-Tale Heart. That was all dirty chocolate, and this is a cleaner, softer blend. The outset is a lavender/cocoa blend which is *almost* sharp. As it dries, the vetiver comes out more, lending a smoky tinge, and the vanilla softens the blend, adding a creamy feel to it. This is cuddly indeed. This isn't overly foody on me, which is good. And frankly, I am kicking myself for not trying this sooner!

Wet: Musky, spicy chocolate, maybe I'm getting some cinnamon somehow? Manly.

First on: The same, but it's gotten very faint. Can't say I'm disappointed, since I think it's too masculine for me to wear.

Dry: Now it's just a very faint spicy chocolate. Alas.

Bottle: A rich smooth chocolate and lavender. Mmm.

Wet: Hint of pine? Quickly burns off into a snuzzly chocolate smell

Dry: Chocolate

Dry after one hour: chocolate with a hint of clary sage, still lovely, not masculine, but I would like to smell this on a man, or me. It's very very moreish.

I don't think this has much throw, but you'd want to get close to someone wearing this anyway :)

In summary, this is kind of like Ms. Angel and Mr A*Men wanted a baby but decided instead to adopt a cute little chocolate labradoodle.

I snagged a partial bottle of this off the forum, 'cause I'm having a major love affair with chocolate scents. Yep, this is definitely a bottle you have to roll around before applying to mix up the cocoa with the rest of it. Wulric seems really striking to me, it's really different from anything else I've tried. The chocolate is deep and dark, and it's spiked heavily with sharp, wild, herbaceous notes, lots of sage and lavender. There's a hint of charred, burnt wood here that gets stronger as the chocolate note gets subtler. The notes are all on an even level, the chocolate-vanilla is there but it doesn't take over, it's well blended with the smoky burnt, earthy wood and herbal notes. The sharpness of the lavender and sage calms down after a while, and the musky base is more apparent. This perfume is definitely fitting for a wolfman, somehow! I find myself reaching for Wulric often: I'm contemplating buying a full bottle at some point. It smells really unique, I love it more with each wear.

I tried this on my boyfriend, and it's significantly chocolatier on him. :yum:

Edited by tajana

I thought I'd try this as I adore cocoa...also, the French vanilla bourbon sounds great; I hate

birch tar, lavender, vetiver, wild musk, and I don't know about the clary sage and cistus.

Impression: Beautiful cocoa; a touch sharper than velvet or gelt...while I wouldn't buy a bottle because I get great cocoa tones from other scents, this is definitely a nice smell...

In the bottle: Dark and warm cocoa, vetiver, and a touch of lavender in the background.

Wet: Oh yum! Now I get the vanilla! This is still to dry and earthy to be a foody scent but it just straddles the line.

Dry: The vetiver is gone and now this is an herby, musky cocoa.

All around this is warm, fuzzy delicious scent! I'd love to try this one on a guy too...very unisex.

I can't decide whether I like this or not. Sometimes when I sniff it I get a wonderful chocolate vanilla, at other times I get what smells like a rather expensive cologne. No lavender, no musk... it's not what I was expecting at all and while I'll probably get my decant out a couple more times, I won't be buying a bottle.

I could really go for it on a guy, though.

In bottle/imp: Lavender and chocolate.

Immediately on skin: This is essentially a chocolate/cocoa fragrance, but a very complex one. Wafting above that base of cocoa are notes of lavender and sage. It’s just overall very herbal and then there’s the chocolate underneath that. The cocoa is already turning a bit B.O.-ish on my skin (dry chocolate notes tend to do that on me).

After a little while: Wow, that’s a surprise... the B.O. aspect has faded just about completely and what’s left is a creamy, musky herbal scent. It’s actually reminding me a bit of Candy Butcher, only herbal as opposed to perfumey. This is very smooth and comforting.

Overall Impressions: This scent was a total surprise. At first it’s a bit… cloying on me, but after just a little while it gets creamier and muskier and blends into this comforting unisex cocoa scent. It’s almost not really chocolatey, but more poofy and white, like how Candy Butcher was on me.