Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
janelle_hell

Snake Oil

By far, our most popular scent! Magnetic, mysterious, and exceedingly sexual in nature. A blend of exotic Indonesian oils sugared with vanilla.

I wore this today and all I can say is WOW. It is so beautiful. It is a warm seductive scent.

Ok, when I first put this on, all I could smell was WOOD. :P

Thankfully, it mellowed into a sweet, spicy scent. The vanilla comes out stronger the longer I wear it.

Definitely bottle-worthy. I can understand why this is so popular!!!

Edited by jakey

This stuff is awesome! In the bottle it smells warm and spicy. Some earlier reviewers said it was an innocent scent. On me it was a subtly sexy smell of spiced vanilla. Hubby had an uber-frisky reaction to it, without a doubt!

This is the first imp I have ever tried, so of course I was hopping with excitement over it.

In the bottle: Dark vanilla.

Wet: Um....really burnt vanilla. This is the most popular scent. Is everyone just a big vanilla fan? Oh, wait, now I'm getting a play-doh note.

One hour later: Finally, the spices are taking over. Vanilla is still there, but now it smells darker and spicer and mmmm, is it yummy.

Five hours later: Is that patchouli I detect? Score! My skin loves the patchouli. This is a perfect mix of sugar and spice...NOW I can see why people love it so much.

Verdict: definitley buying a bottle.

This scent took me a while to try, though I know know why over 90% of the women in this forum swear by it.

On me, it went very nice vanilla with a bit of spice in the oils, and it's a very likeable scent to me. When I asked one of my friends to smell me last night, he smelled my hand, then continued smelling half-way down my arm, and declared he wished to have sex with me that very instant.

Therefore, Snake Oil has been deemed by me as sex in a bottle.

I got this imp about a year ago and I keep trying it every few months, hoping to get what everyone else gets out of it. Vanilla? Sugar? Spice? I say it is stinky patchouli, and I say to heck with it.

In the vial: spicy, ambery vanilla

On the skin: damn, this smells good. spicy, ambery vanilla. Yum. This dries to a wonderful, slightly spicy vanilla. I know that there's patchouli in here but I don't smell it, it's all vanilla on me. But not vanilla as in a bland, "vanilla ice cream" type of way - no this is not an innocent, school girl vanilla. This is much more confident and sexy.

Conclusion: I love this scent and most of the scents in the Snake Oil family. There's a reason why this is a classic. It smells great fresh or aged. It layers wonderfully and is a slightly dark, sexy as hell scent. Confident. It lasts forever and that's even better in my book.

I can only reiterate what's already been said - there's a reason this is the most popular fragrance. This has to be one of the most beautifully tempered vanilla scents ever.

In the bottle: Spicy vanilla

Wet on the skin: Incense floating over dark vanilla

Drydown: Warm, seductive vanilla mix. The incense is not as strong, but mingles beautifully with the vanilla.

Verdict: Good thing I don't mind people invading my personal space - the sniffers and moaners were out in force with this one.

I can't believe I hadn't tried this until now!!! I think I was hesitant because of the vanilla, which tends to go plastic on me. In the vial it is a gorgeous boozy vanilla with deeper spice notes.

At first I got dusty spices. Then I got a hint of vanilla wintermint. Then back to dusty spice. The vanilla is trying to come out, but it is getting warped into fresh playdoh (with spices.) I am by myself, so I have no one to confirm this. I just wish vanilla scents wouldn't change on me because this is so nice in the vial.

Wow, I can't believe I haven't reviewed this one yet; this is one of my favorite BPAL scents of all time!! Simply stated, this is the best unisex vanilla blend ever created! It's a sexy, musky, spicey, slightly boozy, thick vanilla scent. Not like the vanilla note in O, no no, much deeper, thicker, and sensual. This smells fantastic on me as well as my husband, and it remains one of my top ten regular catalogue scents of all time. It has a ton of throw and lasts all day long. In fact, it's almost time to buy another 5 ml!! :P

Hey, I figured out how to open an imp without spilling it! That’s simpler than it looks. How embarrassing that it took me seven tries.

When I opened my new box of imps, it smelled like honey, and I think this is the scent that made me think “honey”. It’s spicy and strange, but not unpleasant... honeyed, but not in fact sweet.

In hue, it’s very dark on my skin -- an actual smear of color instead of a wash. That effect is fading as it sinks in. The scent is nice, but it doesn’t seem like anything to rave home about. It has a trace of “high pitch” to it -- I suspect it’s ginger.

This continues to be a very odd scent. I really can’t pick out notes worth anything. It isn’t bad... far from it... but I really don’t know what to make of it. I would describe it as complex and layered, but that sounds as if I’m reviewing a wine. I suppose the skills are similar.

This isn’t a particularly warm smell, but it isn’t a particularly cold one, either. I don’t detect sugar, though I think I can spot the vanilla. It’s a slinky smell that makes me think inexplicably of spotted cats. It has good throw on me, and I like being able to smell it at a distance. If it was the “is this honey?” scent that I picked out before, the honey has since faded away. It is a scent with presence, and I like its presence.

As time progresses, the wash of smell around me is growing stronger and stronger -- and that’s not just because I’m trying Black Phoenix on the other wrist simultaneously. Snake Oil is here and wants me to know it, which is an effect that I didn’t really receive from any other scent thus far. Although this doesn’t strike me as masculine, it isn’t feminine, either, and I wonder what this would smell like on a male. It is a definitely sensual scent, and I appreciate that.

I’m still not raving about this, and I don’t foresee buying the bottle at this point in time, but it is very good at being what it is.

...I wrote that, and then I went to work. And it stayed. The scent stayed spicy and sensual and eloquent without fading or getting weird for over twelve hours. I could smell my wrist all day and get a little burst of energy. The longer I wore it, the better I felt about it -- I couldn’t tell you whether the scent improved, or whether it just grew on me, but I have been converted. I do see why this is the most popular scent that the Lab produces, and I can certainly see myself wearing it in the future.

In the bottle: Hmm, airy and woody musk, with vanilla.

Wet: Even wet, the musk smells a bit powdery, I strongly suspect that this has amber in it. It smells "thick", heavy and unctuous like oil. I wonder if the powder isn't from sweetgrass, this note that comes back in voodoo blends.

Drydown: Hm, this is surprisingly discreet. I was expecting heady musk, it smells like watery amber and musk, light and warm, not at all cloying. The vanilla is light, very sweet and slightly plasticky, and I'm more and more convinced that this is sweetgrass in here. Oh, and I think that the light, slightly green notes come from vetiver, which promptly dries to powder on my skin. Aha, spices come out, a bit... nothing really definable, just warm and deepening for the blend.

Overall: A huge anticlimax. I was expecting to be either impressed by it or hugely grossed out - like the "Smut" effect. But this did neither. Snake Oil bored me, and turned to dirty baby powder on my skin, with a hint of fake vanilla. It's not even bad enough for me to hate, it really makes me go "meh". I tried this brand new and after a month or two, and it's still fairly the same thing. I'll still give it a few months, see if it gets less powdery.

So I'm going to be attacked or scoffed at for this, but it did not work for me. :P I mean, I smelled like diapers and baby powder and baby wipes. I could smell the vanilla okay but it was the amber being dusted on the baby's bottom, the almond was the diaper and the... something, I don't know what... was the aloe wipe. It was like a darker version of Gluttony, which my mom referred to as "dried baby pee, pure and simple."

ETA: My skin chemistry has changed drastically and this is now very different and super-awesome on me. My massive skin chemistry change has opened my possibilities like crazy so I ordered a bottle to wear and let age. Since this was such a negative reaction before, I was hesitant when I put it on my skin.

It was gloriously warm and vanilla-d. The only negative is that one of the spices gets a tiny bit acidic in the drydown phase before disappearing.

Edited by PixieSkull

I must be in the minority here because this doesn't smell fantastic to me. I smell something spicy and vanilla sweet. This could almost be foody, except for the spiciness. It would be wonderful if there weren't this powdery mustiness that reminds me of my grandmother's old drawl. Its an almost stale scent to me (must be my chemistry). I'm going to try an aged version and see how this fares on me. I suppose I will have to now, since my imp top broke and I was forced to toss it :P

Snake Oil-

In Bottle: Musky, dark, resinous.

Wet: I'm sure that's vetiver! Must be. And here comes a little vanilla.

Dry: Oh, I wish I could like this one. I don't want to be the different one! :P But this has that old man smell that I just can't handle, all cloying and unwashed-smelling; leaves me nose-wrinkling. Too bad!

Overall: Not for me.

Addendum, April 15, 2007: This is me trying this again. I got a new frimp of this from the lab, and I was looking at it feeling sad that Snake Oil hadn't worked for me, especially as there's that whole new line of Snake Pit scents all based on Snake Oil. So I decided I'd give the new imp another go, and you know what? It was completely different. Kind of vanilla and musk and nothing unwashed or old-man-ish at all. I liked it! I did a comparison with the imp that gave me the first impression, and I think the other one might have aged to the point where it was muskier in a way that did not work as well with my chemistry. I think I'll keep my new imp and use it and if I like it well enough, I'll get a bottle but remember that it might not age well for me.

Edited by steffanina

Darn, this smells resinous and very much like vanilla on me, but it's nothing special. I was so hoping to be wowed after learning that this is one of BPAL's best-sellers and has so many rave reviews. Don't get me wrong, I like it, but it's just . . . vanilla on me. I may try aging my imp to see if the scent becomes sexier or richer or more interesting, but as is, I don't need a 5 mL.

I received my first order yesterday, it included 18 imps and two 5ml bottles I bought for my boyfriend for xmas.

I decided to try the snake oil first cause it was the most popular of bpal´s scents and that´s why I thought it must work on me too.. I was quite dissapointed cause it didn´t work on me at all :D I got just a tiny hint of spices and the rest was really strong vanilla scent, way too mush vanilla for me! Though this sweet, round and soft scent would be perfect as room scent, have to try it today!

edit. Had to try this for the second time and it was way better. I think it must have something to do with the fact that I had my period when I tried this for the first time. I like this now, but not enough to buy bottle. I think I'll keep the imp and wait how it works when it has aged a bit.

edit. Weird.. I fell in love with this and ordered two 5ml bottles :P

Edited by Unillusia

My first review!

Bottle: Spicy Vanilla! Smells like yum!

Wet: Very spicy, on my skin the vanilla disappears and I can only smell it if I search for it. I like this, but not as much as the bottle smell.

Dry: Back to the lovely spicy vanilla. Yay! I just want to curl up in this scent.

Later: The spiciness has backed off and left mostly vanilla with a touch of something warm.

Imagery: Being wrapped in a blanket of vanilla happiness.

Summary: A lovely, gorgeous scent, though I admit I was expecting something sexier. This is a great comfort scent to me. I can also see how this might be too bland for those who don't like vanilla. I may buy a bottle, but I think I'm searching for something a bit more unique. (this is lovely, though, I can see why it's so popular)

Snake Oil was a lot more understated than I was expecting. I liked it. Except when it dried, it turned powdery on me. Boo. :P

At first, it smelled a little bit spicy, a little bit almond-y and a little bit vanilla-y. Everything was so nicely balanced that I was happily surprised. After about an hour later, it's still spicy, but mostly just smelled like powder. It was also still vaguely sweet with an emphasis on vaguely. Oh Snake Oil, we just weren't meant to be.

Ok, ok, I get it!

Finally.

I avoided all BPAL with vanilla in it for ages, because vanilla to me said sickly sweet bland urgh. I don't like vanilla food much (I'll eat it, but it's just so bland), and the scent was always too girlie-sweet. Then I fell in love with Snake Charmer's spicy sexy goodness. And then Desire, which is of the same ilk. And my boyfriend melts at the mere waft of both of them, which doesn't hurt. They're the only two he knows the names of :D

So I felt I had to try Snake Oil, having discovered that BPAL's vanilla is a far cry from the vanilla of my youth. First time round, it was ok, but I wasn't in love. It had that powdery note some others have mentioned as well.

It's aged a good few months now, and oh my.

The vanilla is rich, heavy, sultry, a scent unlike any other vanilla I've ever smelt. The spices are warm, glowing, giving the vanilla a sexy dirty feel. The sugary sweetness has faded, but there's just enough to meld the spice and the vanilla together. The powderiness is long gone. And I know it will continue to age beautifully.

And the staying power... I put some in my hair and was still getting wafts three days later. I washed my hair on the third day, and as the hot water was heating my hair, I got even more. Just gorgeous.

This really is a particular scent for a particular time; it's so heavy and luxurious and decadent that I can't imagine wearing it day to day (unless I get a far more 'interesting' job! :D ). But when I want a particular reaction, especially from a particular man, I know where to turn :P

In the imp: Sweet spices.

On me: The spice dies down, and I'm left with a warm and sweet, almost edible vanilla. Not quite foody, but very nice. Not really getting "sexy", but it isn't quite innocent.

I like this a lot, and I'm also going to try aging this imp since everyone seems to think it only gets better with time :P

ETA: I tried it on my boy last night, and on him it smelled like the most -amazing- cotton candy. YUM. He doesn't much want to smell like cotton candy, but I'll probably sneak attack him with it for a sweet treat >:D

ETA again (weeks later): I find myself daydreaming about my darling Snake Oil. Literally fantasizing about the way it smells, haha. I revoke the previous "not sexy" ...this is sugary spicy sex :D The imp won't make it long enough to be aged. I need a bottle. I effing love this.

Edited by SeaLady

In the imp: dark and incensy, but very sweet.

On: Sweet like burnt sugar, but also overwhelming, darkly incense. I can see why others would like it, but it's too much for me.

ETA: It does become a dark and sexy vanilla about 3 hours later, but that's too long to wait for that heavy incense to smooth out.

Edited by evilbee

In the bottle:

Whew, not what I was expecting when people called this "sexy" - I'm not smelling any vanilla, just those exotic oils.

Wet:

Vanilla and spice... better than in the bottle

Dry down:

Gorgeous. I totally understand why this is so popular. Smells to me like vanilla, musk, sandalwood with a very subtle kick, so subtle that I don't think I can call it "spice." Love love love it.

Final Thoughts:

Dark and tasty. Still one of my favorites.