Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
janelle_hell

Snake Oil

By far, our most popular scent! Magnetic, mysterious, and exceedingly sexual in nature. A blend of exotic Indonesian oils sugared with vanilla.

I am lucky enough to have gotten an enraged aged imp at my friendly neighborhood meet&sniff. This reminds me a bit of Baby Oil and I am definitely a fan.

Edited by themerrybaker

In the bottle, and when first applied, this started out a little more spicy than I am usually comfortable with my perfumes. So, I was a little worried. But as it dried down, more of the vanilla kept peeking out, and now that it's settled entirely, it's this delicious exotic spicy vanilla flavor that makes me want to learn belly dancing. Yet again another scent that I probably shouldn't be wearing to work. One of these days I'm going to have to find a suitable work scent! Seriously!

In the vial: Ginger and vanilla.

On my skin: Womanly and very old-fashioned. This is something a Gypsy fortune teller would wear.

This really is delicious. I can't really find the words to describe it, it's so good. It's in fierce competition with Dorian as my number one favorite so far. I wear this when I want people to take me seriously, and it seems to work. :P

Scent in bottle: I'm getting vanilla and what smells like red musk out of this. I don't want red musk! It does not like me!

Scent on me:

Wet -- No clue what is in this. It's weird and musk-like.

Dry -- Vanilla and...other things. Other things that do not agree with me. Still no idea what they are, though. It's almost alcoholic-smelling, and musky.

Conclusion: It may be their most popular oil, but it doesn't like me. Oh well. Someone else will want it, I'm sure.

In the bottle: This one is hard to describe. It’s a medicinal/spicy/creamy scent. I can’t pick out any individual notes.

Wet: The sweetness of the vanilla comes to the front, but does not overpower the spicy quality of the oil. There is still a faint medicinal quality which I find very appealing.

Drydown: The oil becomes more delicious as it interacts with my skin chemistry. It has great throw throughout the day. This is fabulous.

Verdict: One of my top 3 scents. I love the medicinal vanilla sweetness. I feel like a BPAL ambassador when I wear it, because it’s the one scent that people ask me about. I’m always glad to reveal my source!

Time to add my two dirty pennies to the jar, and review this classic BPAL blend.

From the rapturous reviews, I was expecting something very different. This isn't what I'd anticipated at all. It's very spicy and intense. I want to say there's patchouli in here, because it has that same flaky, sharp herbal/incense smell to it. There's a lot of spices all swirled together underneath it. Not cinnamon-y, and not foody, definitely exotic.

On, yes, this is pretty. There's vanilla adding some cream to the smell, but not so much that it smells like food. Vanilla usually has a bit of an innocent edge to it, but this doesn't. It's too spiced-up. It's quite sexy, but it isn't too aggressive; yes, this is a scent that draws people in, rather than a scent that sends you out hunting.

I will die and go to my grave swearing that this has sassafras in it, because there's something in here that smells like sasparilla. Now I think on't, it makes sense, since sassafras was quite popular in patent "snake oil" medicines during the 19th century.

This has a throw that's warm and heady, all spiced vanilla, like sasaparilla or root beer or Coke. Up close, it has a roundness that I think is either almond or sassafras, and a little bit of booze. And between is a fog of spices and incense. Sexy but not smothering, sweet but not cloying, a very intriguing scent that just begs you to come and investigate a little more closely. The longer I wear this, the smoother it gets, and the more I like it.

This is a less sweet version of the supersexy musky/spicy/vanilla effect that so many body sprays try and fail to produce, usually because they ruin it with something sharp and nasal like flowers. This one remains un-ruined. The addition of sassafras (I really think it's in there) to the vanilla is a genius touch, because it smells like nothing else and really pins this one down as a signature Lab scent.

Snake Oil has been recommended as a substitute for Snake Charmer since Snake Charmer was a Limited Edition. Any similarity I'm noting is very faint. Snake Charmer was sharper, higher-pitched and more nasal, far more traditional, and not nearly as dark, low, and smooth – I actually prefer this blend. It reminds me a little of Morocco and a little of Scherezade, for the spices, but it's definitely its own distinctive thing, and is far throatier than either of those blends.

As it wears on the almond gets really aggressive and it ends up smelling very cherry, which is not all that pleasant on my skin. Overall I like it and I'll recommend that people try it, but I don't think I'll order a big bottle.

I recieved Snake Oil as a frimp in my first order and it took me awhile to get around to trying it .. Wow! This scent knocked my proverbial socks off. Its sensual and mysterious. My BF got one whif of this and well his interests were well peaked !

In the Bottle: Honeyed Saffron and vanilla .. and something I cant quite put a finger on .. almost gingery..

On wrist: Holy Mother of God! Sweet vanilla and cinnamon .. this is a sexy sexy scent

Dry Down: Vanilla sumptious carmalized vanilla

big bottle .. Now! :P

I think I'll keep this less structured than my normal reviews, as practically everything that can be said about Snake Oil, has :P

Source: Last minute swapout in 1st imp pack ordered from lab on request of my loverguy. Good intuition: it's his favorite scent on me (he's previously proven to be partial to vanilla.)

On me Snake Oil is sweet, candy-like vanilla with a hint of spice behind. I'm trying very hard to be sparing with my imp as I wait for the bottle I went back and ordered to come in. I'd like to tuck it away and age it to bring more spices out, but it's hard to leave it alone when everytime I wear it I get huffed and told I smell good :D

Oddly, occasionally when I put it on I get an initial whiff of cheap motel rooms. You know: lingering cigarette smoke covered by air freshener. Changing hormones/chemistry? *shrugs* At any rate it only lasts a moment.

angharad sent me an imp, and of course I had to try it out.

As noted previously, everything that can be said about this has been, but I had to say how much I love it. It was very strong on my wrist for the first half hour or so, but then calmed down to a spicy vanilla that I can't stop sniffing. I know I'll have to get a big bottle of this! It's a confident scent that I can see myself wearing when I need to feel good about myself.

ETA: What a difference a day makes.

I put it on again today, because i really needed to feel good about myself. Not good. Today all I can smell is the incense, and I feel it in my nose and on my tongue. I don't know what happened.

2 June: I tried it again, because I HAD to. It was great for about 5 minutes, then went Play Doh on me. I wanna cry.

Edited by Melantha

Sweet, creamy and spicy on my skin, nice but not as gorgeous as I was expecting. I usually love this sort of scent with a passion but for some reason I can't put my finger on, it just doesn't grab me. I will say that I've had more complements and male attention whilst wearing this than I've had in a good long time so I have ordered a bigger bottle and may designate this my pulling scent. :P

ETA: I seem to be getting more fond of this each time I wear it and I am reaching for it much more often than I would have guessed, it really grows on you.

Edited by Obesa_Cantavit

In the bottle: ...Patchouli?

Wet: Sort of musky. I'm not sure if I like it, but I'll give it time.

Drydown: Oh, okay, THERE we are. :P Vanilla goodness! Ooooh, but this is yummy.

While wearing: This is definitely beautiful. I'm not any good with picking out notes to begin with, but this is just so well-blended that it's...warm sugary vanilla spicy loveliness. Not something I would have originally picked for myself, but I smell YUMMY. I got a compliment from a guy who played my father once, saying I smelled "pretty and girly." :D Love it! Must have more!!

From the vial, this is a spicy scent, with a vanilla backing. Like someone has made a warm, spicy, sugared vanilla chai. It's quite welcoming, rather than sexy. My skin warms up the spice and sugar at first. After a short time, it begins to mix and take on a darker, but still sweet aspect: On me, this ends up smelling very much like O! There are differences (where Snake Oil is dark and smooth, O is light and sharp) but to tell the truth they both end up reminding me of pink musk sticks! So sweet and sugary and yummy. Not what I was expecting, but nice none the less.

Edited by kunoichi

I'd seen so many wonderful raving reviews of Snake Oil, so I eagerly ordered an imp of it..... I normally love both vanilla and spices, but something in this just doesn't suit me. I love the scent in the bottle, it's a warm spicy scent with vanilla drifting in and out. On my skin it sharpens a lot, even irritates a little on more sensitive areas (inside of my elbow). I get hints of the gorgeous scent from the bottle, but mostly it makes my eyes tear up... not entirely sure what it is, not a scent I recognize. I think I might have to get a scent locket for this one though, because if it would just stay like it is in the bottle, it'd be perfect.

Might also try it in a few more weeks, see if it blends together any more...

Edit: I'm seeing a couple people noting patchouli in this... That's never been one that gets along with me, so I think it might be the source of my discontent.

Edited by Moribund

I was really expecting to love this one, because I generally like vanilla, but I think it might be too strong for me...

In the bottle: You know, it's kind of sad, but I can't really ever smell anything properly in the bottle. I got the vanilla, but it also smelled kind of medicinal.

This went on like the vanilla/musk custom blend I wore in high school and doesn't seem to have changed much in the hours since. If I get way up close to my wrist I can smell something lovely and creamy, but this has a *lot* of throw on my skin and it's starting to give me a bit of a headache.

I rather like it, but I'm not sure I can get it down to small enough quantities to be able to wear it. I'm going to have to try diluting it with some lotion and see if that's more wearable, since I'm literally only wearing a half-drop out of the imp. (On the other hand, if it does work, it'll be a nice cheap way to get some vanilla scent into my life...)

:P

Note: The imp I got was formerly owned, and received as part of a swap. It's aged, though I have no idea how old it really is. It's amber in color, and slightly viscous.

in the imp: Spice. It's reminding me a bit of Port Au Prince--I'm swearing I get clove and amber and musk as well as some creamy vanilla in this.

Wet: Gingery, spicey yum. This is NOT foody at all, which is ok. Rather, it is sumptuous and sexy and warm and a little dark.

Dry: There is a musk here that puts me in mind of Smut. Musk and I have a love affair, and this one is vying for some sweet, musky love. It is still spicey, and lightly creamy with vanilla. I'm still swearing there's some amber in here, or ginger--on my skin, the two are often indistinguishable. Maybe both.

I think I need to buy a 5ml, so that I can age it and test it over time...

I have one word for you.

SANDALWOOD.

After a few seconds the vanilla comes out, yum. But very, very strong wood.

I made sure to order this in my very first lab order, and I can see why it's so popular. I love the delicious vanilla and wood in this. But, alas, it's just far too potent. It made my throat itch and my husband choke. Oh well.

I didn't realize it changes as it ages, even better.

This is my second favorite scent. It's very subtle in its spicyness and most of the notes are nice and low (NOT at all in a masculine way) or midrange.

On me it smelled like someone Dark and Naughty sneaking around in a New Agey/Craft store at midnight, steaming with some kind of temple of doom scent. I didn't smell any vanilla. I held my wrist out for my boyfriend and he LOVED it!

I gave it to him knowing it would smell different on him, and it does. Sweeter, sweatier, sexier. HOT. I love it on him, but don't want to wear it myself. It makes me imagine him naked, oiled up at midnight in front of a ritual fire with people chanting around him ready to gobble him up.

Ah Snake Oil, why do you hate me?

I wanted this to be the sexy blend that so many reviewers have experienced, but it was just "yuck" on me. This must have my nemeses patchouli in it.

I sadly seem to be one of the people for whom Snake Oil just doesn't work. It goes from spice straight on through to sour. I don't know if there's red musk in this, but it gives me a headache - which I've only experienced with red musk thus far. I can't pick out what would be making it sour, but it sadly just doesn't agree with my skin or my nose.

Fortunately, it seems that it will be very easy to find it a good, loving home.

This scent is luxurious. I love vanilla but the spices make it deep, mature, sexual. There's something dark and sharp with this. It dries amazingly on me. I want a drink of it.

...well, for the sake of the review...

...!

....okay, but oh my god. O.O DON'T drink it. *cries* it burns your tongue. :/ I hope this doesn't influence how it smells for me ^^;

Edit: Although, it does mellow after a short bit like I burnt my tongue on tea. I wouldn't do it again, but.. I suppose it's better than licking shattered, right? :P

Edited by xie

having loved Snake Oil for awhile, yet having never done a review of it...

i was just another one of the crowd who got a vanila-something that was teh yum.

but i put some on this afternoon when i needed a boost and....

the most awful thing happened!

i suddenly reeked of maraschino cherries that had wallowed in baby powder.

where is the lovely vanilla-sassafras-patchouli-musk-clove i ususally get?

and, to add: i haaaaaaaaaaaaaate the smell of cherries (or almonds) in a fragrance. and the smell of baby powder makes me ill (and always has -- even when i was a baby they couldn't use it on me)

i'm all stressed out and sad today -- and on a new medication. so i'm sure that's what the problem is.....

but still. wasn't fun.

editing, to add:

nope. still can't wear it. generously obtained a 2+ year old bit of Snake Oil to try, and it is simply more concentrated baby powder and plasticky almonds.

Snake Charmer, by contrast, is much more wearable for me, but i still don't *love* it.

my whole fragrance-life, after a few years or few months i've found that i can no longer wear a given scent... that it changes in a new way and just.... doesn't work. regardless of the age or layers or time of the month or year. just can't wear it anymore.

i'll put my remaining Snakey Oil away. and forget about it for a few years. and see what happens...

Edited by TrailerTrashPrincess

Wow. So this is what all the fuss is about. I need more. At least two more bottles. And since it's said that it gets even better as it ages, I'm not worried about having it too long. This is amazing and I've only had iton for a few minutes. I was hoping that my Gypsy Queen would come today but this more than makes up for it.

Campfire smoke, clear fall skies, and the smells of herbs used in an ancient ritual. The vanilla smells of skin rubbed with ancient oils and then warmed and glowing in the light of the fire...

I can't even really describve it and that attempt doesn't come close to doing it justice. It's sweet and exotic and smoky and sexy.... And mysterious. It's a very sexy, grown up, "I am woman" scent.

Snake Oil really doesn't need another review, but I noticed something interesting which no one else has mentioned.

Snake Oil shares similarities (even down to the occasional 'Play-Dough' note) with a newer fragrance, People of the Labyrinths' Luctor et Emergo. PotL is a 'cult' perfume that sells for an outrageous $165 per bottle.

I tested them side by side, and it is amazing. While PotL has a cherry/almond note, and Snake Oil is spicier, longer lasting, and far superior, there are similarities. I keep trying to think of ways to let PotL fans know about the lovlier-and-more-affordable original: Snake Oil! :P

Snake Oil is simply divine! Heavy and rich with deepest darkest vanilla, clingy musk and sexy patchouli, swirled with exotic incense. It lasts almost forever, with sillage worthy of any classic Chanel or Guerlain. Reminds me just a bit of the old school Orientals, such as Opium and Shalimar, but with a unique, dark and modern twist.

I can see why this has such a widespread following. I think it would do very well, released commercially on a large scale.

I have received many compliments on this; but even if I'd never received any, I would wear it just for me. Sexy, and yet somehow comforting at the same time. Sooo decadent. I plan to buy several bottles, and experiment with making eau de parfum spray and lotion, as well as stockpiling plenty to put back and age.

I now live in fear that Ms. Elizabeth will suddenly decide to retire, close the doors of her dark and edgy House, and take my newly discovered Snake Oil along with her. Nooooo! Perhaps I should stockpile even more than I had originally planned, so I can sleep at night...

I got a lovely frimp of this and I am just floored.

The reviews I'm sure have covered the notes in far more detail than I ever could, but I thought I would add something!

I put this on last night at about 9:30 pm. Went out for awhile, came home, went to bed...got up HAD A SHOWERand put on different perfume.

Now I'm at work at 10:30 the following day and I held my wrist to my nose and I still smell Snake Oil! And it's not very subtle now either! I have never had an oil hang around so long, this stuff is rightly awesome.

It's so sexy, sweet, and seductive...It's like my little secret here at work!

The throw is something awesome too...

Need 5 ml for sure!

Jenn