Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
marietta

Scents with a *Vintage* Feel

My boyfriend, who has been overseas for more than eighteen months, finally has the ability to come for a visit! I know the most important thing is that we enjoy each other's company and kisses for the month we have together . . . however, being olfactorily obsessed, it has occurred to me that I don't know what perfume to wear when I meet him at the airport!

I've but together an outfit that's pretty retro (vintage 3/4 length swing coat, the Folkwear Glamour Girl dress and some cute t-straps, and I'd like my fragrance to match. So, which BPAL frag, to you, is most retro? I've tried a few likely suspects (Ozymandias, Paris, Old Venice), but nothing seems quite right. I think what I'm looking for is something quite feminine, maybe even a little powdery (in the good way), but if you have other ideas, please share!

For reference, here are my BPAL favs (I'm not looking for anything too like these, though):

Dia de los Muertos -- dry, crackling leaves, the incense smoke of altars honoring Death and the Dead, funeral bouquets, the candies, chocolates, foods and tobacco of the ofrenda, amaranth, sweet cactus blossom and desert cereus

Vixen -- the innocence of orange blossom tainted by the beguiling scents of ginger and patchouli

Voodoo -- a deep, powerful, resonant blend of myrrh, patchouli, vetiver, lime, vanilla, pine, almond and clove

Baobhan Sith -- grapefruit, white tea, apple blossom and ginger

Aizen-Myoo -- yuzu, kaki, and mikan with cherry blossom and black tea

Oh, and the only thing I absolutely can't wear is roses. Or rosewood. Hee, sorry about the post length . . . and thanks for reading!

I've but together an outfit that's pretty retro (vintage 3/4 length swing coat, the Folkwear Glamour Girl dress and some cute t-straps, and I'd like my fragrance to match.

Lovely dress! The BPAL I first thought of for you is Black Dahlia. I really hope you enjoy your time with your loved one :P

Edited by Melisssa

Marquise de Merteuil reminds me of classic French perfume, like from the era when Chanel No 5 was first created.

Black Dahlia. Not even a question.

There IS rose in it (described as "smoky rose"), but I can't wear rose either - it's awful on me - and I can't smell it at all in Black Dahlia.

Notes - "Voluptuous magnolias strewn over orchid, star jasmine, black amber and smoky rose."

It's a bit powdery, but not baby powder at all. Definitely a 40s/50s vintage-y film-noir-glamour feel. Among the adjectives I have used to describe it in my incoherent gushing: deep, velvety, film noir-ish, sophisticated, dark, powdery, elegant, sexy.

Stardust '05 and '06 has a vintage 70's feel to me. It reminds me of the perfumes my mom wore in the 70's. And I think that is precisely the feeling that Beth wa going for when she created it as an homage to glam rock.

ETA: :P I guess I should have clicked on your link first! :D

Edited by Scylla

For period reference, Jean Patou's Joy, Schiaparelli's Shocking, Chanel No. 5 and Tabu would have been big fragrances during the 30s, which seems like the look you're working. Gardenia, jasmine and tuberose would have been popular, and so were chypres from what I can tell; I'd recommend either Euphrosyne (yeah, I know, you said no rose, but I thought I couldn't wear BPAL's rose either until I tried Euphrosyne) as a Joy analogue, Hunger or Loralei to echo some of No. 5's or Tabu's notes.

That help any?

Oooh, Jacob's Ladder, Jacob's Ladder!!! Smells very 1930s to me - I think that every time I wear it.

A few of the salons might work, too. I think most of them have that slightly more complex, traditional-perfumey vibe to them.

You might look for perfumes with amber & iris or orris, those are notes that always make me think "vintage".

Ooooh, thanks to everyone who's replied! I'll definitely try to grab Black Dahlia, Euphrosyne, Hunger, Marquis de Merteuil, Lorelei, Nocturne and Jacob's Ladder from swaps! This area of scent is quite different from my normal focus, so I'd like to try as much as possible.

-snip-

You might look for perfumes with amber & iris or orris, those are notes that always make me think "vintage".

Orris is one of my newest loves. :P I found it through trying essential oils, though, so I'll definitely try to score some of Beth's iris blends!

northatlantic: Have you ever had the opportunity to try Shocking? I love her fashion design soooooooooo much!

Here's a few that I think have a vintage sensibility...

Veil - white sandalwood, lilac, gardenia, violet, orris, lavender and ylang ylang.

Morgause - five night-blooming flowers deepened by dusky violet, purple fruits and the barest breath of medieval incenses.

Ephemera - violet and chamomile with muguet, white geranium, calla lily and tea rose with a hint of autumn leaves.

Prague - Crocus with snowdrop and three lilies.

Lady of Shalott - bold gardenia, crystalline musk, muguet, water blossoms, clear, slightly tart aquatic notes and a crush of white ginger.

That dress is gorgeous!

With that dress, I'd go for Baghdad. It's powdery and evocative of fragrances that were popular in the 30s and 40s. And if you happen to have any Unseelie, it would be *perfect* with that dress. Haunted would also work -- it smells a lot like Shalimar. And Sin, to me, smells a lot like Tabu -- I noticed you said you like Vixen; if you like Vixen, I think you'd like Sin.

It's great that you get to see him for a month! :P

I second Veil and Morgause.

I don't think that Baobhan Sith and Aizen Myoo are right... both of them, at least on me, are very citrusy florals... and I don't associate them with the 'vintage' or perfumey vibe that the 20s - 40s have.

Pretty dress you're wearing too. Very evocative.

Lucy's Kiss (I get a rose-herbal-spice from this)

Morgause (fruity-incensey and rather ... dignified?)

Antique Lace (this was the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread -- this is a very light and delicate, feminine scent)

I'd also add a third (or fourth or whatever it is now) to the Black Dahlia suggestion. Very classic and classy, though I find it a little heavy for day-time wear. But that could just be me. :P

i don't know if this scent would match your dress/era...but Hollywood Babylon, is super-retro, i think. very 1950's, glamorous...musky cherry/strawberry...whenever i wear it, i feel lke a 50's hollywood starlet! also, Red Lantern has a 30's feel...very "charlie chan" opium den. yes! maybe that's a good one...it's very heady...opium smoke, and boozy caramel...

I'd second Red Lantern, and add Black Opal. I immediately thought of glamorous black-and-white film stars in slinky dresses when first trying it on. It's a really sophisticated vanilla scent; not as fun or flirty as others, but definitely has that vintage feel.

northatlantic: Have you ever had the opportunity to try Shocking? I love her fashion design soooooooooo much!

Alas, no, although I love her look too. Looking at the notes, you might want to go Jacob's Ladder to echo that fragrance, it might be the closest of the suggestions so far to Shocking.

I have to second Red Lantern!!! It's my favorite and I adore vintagey perfumes.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this but I wanted to add Penny Dreadful! You know, if you wanted that macabre twist. :P No, truthfully its very vintage and the earthiness of the grave loam doesn't detract from that.

Someone else mentioned Stardust and even though its supposed to evoke the 70s, its still very vintage. It reminds me of a Saint Laurent fragrance my mom wears.

Please keep us updated on what you finally choose and how it goes!!

why yes I'm hopelessly single....why do you ask? :D

Jacob's Ladder is a great suggestion - last year's formula has aged into an incredible, complex, spicy amber. :D It's so fabulous I haven't actually tried on this year's formula, just sniffed it from the bottle. :P

The Darkling Thrush reminds me of a classic '30s or '40s scent. It's violet and iris anchored by amber. The effect is ultra-feminine while being quite different from the va-va-voom, "Whatever Lola Wants" feel I get from Hell's Belle, Black Dahlia, Euphrosyne and other heady florals that contain gardenia, magnolia, tuberose, or jasmine.

Thanks to everyone again! I'm currently stalking Black Dahlia and Jacob's Ladder hard core, with a sub focus on ambers in general.

Forspecial Plate: Good suggestion, but my man has a special affection for BPAL. He even got me to send him an some imps, 'cause he wanted to "smell (me)".

Jessie: Sure thing, luv! :P

but my man has a special affection for BPAL. He even got me to send him an some imps, 'cause he wanted to "smell (me)".

Awww!

The only perfume I've automatically thought "vintage" for is Eve, which is alas pretty rosy. Maybe Haunted, though?

If you can carry off a heady floral, I'll add Midnight to the suggestions you've received above: it's very retro-glamorous to my nose (think Veronica Lake).

Okay so...

What about a rec for a 70's-style black & white wrap dress paired with bright red 60's-style bangles and beads? It's like, Diane MOD Furstenberg. (oh lord.)

I was thinking Vixen, but maybe that's too obvious a choice?

Sign in to follow this