Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
filigree_shadow

The Cup of Death

Peach blossom and peach tree leaf, Mysore sandalwood, French lavender, bois du rose, myrtle, and blue yarrow.

imp: rich peach swirled with myrtle.

wet: the myrtle is much stronger, mixing well with peach and sandalwood. this is a very rich, very creamy scent.

dry: this has a green scent with the myrtle, a sort of peach-pit scent for the peach. this is a fabulous blend: heady, sweet, rich, complex.

edti: okay, almost two hours later and this has dried into the creamiest, richest, peachiest peach i have ever smelled. even more so than aglaea which i thought was the ultimate peach experience on me. i will never be able to wear this scent around my husband but i would advise all the peach-lovers out there to give this a try.

In the imp, I smell high-pitched floral. On, it smells like a lighter version of Hairy Toad Lily. Purple flowers with a hint of greenness. Very unusual, and much more immediately likeable than HTL.

In the bottle: Green-planty (like new leaves), fresh, hint of sharpness, and slightly sweet.

Wet: Much more floral & sweeter - mmm peach blossom - but there's still a goodly amount of fresh greenness. It also smells like some of the lunar oils to me too. I'm thinking the greenery must be myrtle( I really liked it in another oil also) and peach tree leaf, maybe the blue yarrow too? There is an herbal note present.

Dry: Herbal-green with touches of fruit and flowers. Quite lovely!

This could be a bottle buy for me.

A fruity floral, heavy on the peach.

It isn't something that I dislike or love...I'll have to try it a few more times and see if it grows on me.

I'm a peach lover, so I had to try this. Wet, all I can smell is glorious peach. Not a fuzzy peach, this is somehow very smooth and somber. As it dries, the peach remains strong, until it begins to alternate with the wood notes. The wood notes I detect more by feel than smell. They feel like running your hand across well sanded wood, wood that isn't soft with the shavings, but completely and utterly smooth. I liked the oil, but since my finances are limited, I passed. I think had the peach layered over the wood, I would have been totally sold.

In the imp: Very fruity, so much peach it almost smells like melon to me

On the skin: At first it's almost all peach, with an oddly aquatic undertone (green river aquatic, not salty sea aquatic). I can't see anything in the notes that should go aquatic, so I guess either my skin chemistry or nose is just being weird. On the dry down there's something in here that goes sort of rotten, and I'm pretty sure it's the bois du rose. :|

Verdict: I don't need a bottle of this, and I think I'll be swapping my imp

Edited by Excetra

I wanted this for the yarrow, and someone kindly frimped it to me!

There arent many bpals with yarrow in them, its one of my favorite scents.. this doesnt dissapoint. I get yarrow right off the bat, blended with lavender, its a wonderfully herbal floral.

On drydown a bit of peach comes out, but not enough to temper the bitter of the yarrow, which I'm glad of.

I love this!

I am desperately in search of my peach holy grail scent. Most don't last very long on me. And if you want to tell me "josie" it was just way too strong on the magnolia.

In this one, I think the sandalwood makes a nice balance to the peach. But peach is still the star here. I'm usually pretty sensitive to lavendar but I don't get any of that in here.

This isn't the sweetest peach i've tried, but it did last longer than Titania. Ultimately, this is going to come down to a death match. But I'm thinking Cup of Death has a leg up.

In the vial – Peachy!

On the skin – Mm. More peachy. More peach blossom than peaches, though. The rose comes out a bit, and the lavender.

Dry – A faint floral/lavender.

In the imp and on my skin, The Cup of Death is peach single note. The imp is around two years old, so maybe the other notes aged out. Or maybe I amp peach. Still, I'm not complaining -- I love peaches.

Hmm. This was strange.. 1st test was really peachy and the second much more rose, lavender, and myrtle. I can even smell the yarrow.

Wet: herbal peach, astringent lavender, sandalwood, and peach blossom.

Drydown: the peach becomes more earthy and grounded by the sandalwood. The rose comes out STRONG for a second then subsides. Strange that the most prominent notes here are the myrtle and yarrow, of course still behind the peach and sandalwood. Something turns strange on this one after 10 minutes.. peach keeps disappearing. I like this but I think I prefer Silence more.

I get peaches and woods in the vial. It's a bit sandalwoody but not obviously so. Wet, it's almost the same. I get no florals from this, at least at this stage. The woods and peaches are meeting each other about halfway. After about ten minutes, the peach is becoming juicier. I'm surprised I smell no lavender since my nose always hones in on it. I actually like this more than I thought I would and need to test this further.

I can't see "Cup of Death" without thinking it in an Eddie Izzard, "Cake or Death?" voice. Regardless, this is amazing. The peach and the greenery blend to make an unbelievable gardeny scent. It almost smells like strawberries to me--on the vine, with some dirt on them, warm in the sun. As it develops on my skin the greenness stays on top, but underneath is warm, ripe peach. It reminds me of The Body Shops Fuzzy Peach, which was the most coveted scent in junior high, and I still have feelings of nostalgia when I smell anything like it. Eventually, the peach dominates and OMG, it's so good. This may have just become my favorite BPAL peach.

In the Imp: I keep wanting to call this The Cup of Love. I guess the notes and image just seem so sweet as compared to the darker aspect of its name (though sure, Death can be romantic too)! Anyhow, it smells like a fresh, delicious peach juice.

Wet: A very true peach that is made greener by the herbal myrtle and yarrow. Extremely refreshing. I'd say it's light without being delicate. It's bright and energizing more so than dainty and fragile.

Dry: Almost exactly the same, though I get hints of the lavender. It makes it feel a bit more like a liquid such as wine, or some sort of drink (as its namesake would suggest) than simply biting into a ripe peach alone.

Verdict: Close call with this one. I would have really loved a deeper, richer peach, almost verging on a peach musk - so that it was more mature and yet innocently sexy. But as it is this is just a very neutral, albeit pleasant, herbal peach. Not quite what I wanted, but it's not bad. If the sandalwood had come out at all it might have made this more grounded. Still, perfect for a spring or summer scent.

The opening is a blast of pure sweet peach, soon settling down into a blend of peach and lavender. When dry, lavender vanishes and it's pretty much straight sweet, juicy peach all the way. Okay, but not my thing.

Lots of peach here! Maybe there's something a bit musky, but it does dry down to just the peach. Fun to wear, especially in the cold of winter.