Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lady_Ell

Undertow

The Dark Side of Water: clean and purifying, yet menacing -- lotus and juniper with a hint of mint. A scent dragged up from the depths to the Stygian shore

This was the first BPAL fragrance that I bought, with the intent of making a scent that smelled like the field area of my dissertation in the Italian Alps. I had been looking to recreate the smell of this wonderful place (mint, pine, cold mist and clouds and drizzle and clean, cold air) and having no luck with alcohol-based perfumes. Undertow, however, does this perfectly.

It's strongly minty with a cold pine undercurrent when wet, and (on me at least) turns to a white-chocolate and mint finish when dry. If I put some on my clothes, it stays more piney-minty smelling than it does on my skin.

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>ETA:
(removed pictures since I am not renewing the domain they're hosted at, and don't want any broken links!)</span> Edited by quantum spice

Oh I love love love Undertow. I could wax poetic for ages about this. I love aquatic scents but they ususally are a bit too light for me but with Undertow it's very dark, Vaugely minty on me but the Juniper really jumps out more then anything I think. The lotus gives it a nice touch as well...makes it more elegant. Definitely try it out if you want something more watery-feeling in nature but not quite so "bright"

I had a downright weird reaction to this one. I sniffed it, then immediately started dabbing it behind my ears and on my neck rather than just putting it on on my wrist as a tester. Either I'm out of practice with my review ritual or I'm really loving this one.

wet ~ Somewhat spicy, somewhat fresh. A little fruity. This reminds me of the tour my Girl Scout troupe took of the Brach's candy factory.

drying ~ Smells the way a gingerbread house looks. This oil may work well with Lush's Back for Breakfast and Slammer shower gels -- the Jolly Ranchers, I call them.

dry ~ The Spice comes out a bit more as the powdery phase begins. I'm getting a very subtle cinnamon candy vibe now. I have no idea why this oil is called Undertow, though, unless my initial "dab it all over" reaction is any indication.

later ~ Is there such a thing as cinnamon cake? I think this is what it should smell like. The powdery dry down is giving me the impression of a bakery. With a little more time, there's just a hint of spiced powder left.

afterthoughts ~ Used in sufficient quantity, this would be a lovely follow-up to Lush's Chai shower gel, though things would probably smell pretty darned confused initially. woo. I like it, though -- it's cute without being cloying.

On me, the fruity notes were overwhelming. I'm not even sure what they were, since it seems like it's aqua and flowers, but I felt like I smelled like a cherry gumdrop. At first as it dried it seemed like the red fruitiness would calm down into something more spicy and gingery, but, alas, no ... after almost an hour of smelling like a gumdrop I had to wash it off (is that what someone meant when they said they felt like it smelled like the outside of a gingerbread house???)

This will be a swapper.

Luuurve this. When it's wet, it's minty but with a sinister edge around it. When it dries, it becomes more wood or mud smelling, but in a very good way. I couldn't pull off the earthen scents (like Burial, Zombi) but this is just the right amount mixed with a watery freshness.

wet, it just screams mint

dry, it's a pretty good balance between the mint and the lotus, probably tempered by the pine...

Wow!

Fresh but dark, if anyone has read The World According to Garp, it makes me think of that bit with "the Undertoad is stong today"; stong and melancolic and menacing.

It settles into something a calmer and almost chocholate-y - just beautiful!

First sniff: My nose really wants there to be apple in Undertow, and I haven’t a clue why – very bright green apples, unripe and hard and far too tart to eat. There’s mint too, and a general sense of greenness, but I’m definitely getting apples. WEIRD.

Wearing: Chilling and green and there’s still the random appleness. This would be a fantastic winter scent, especially on a snowy day. Doesn’t last too long on me.

I agree with Shollin about the apple in Undertow, it's like an icy minty apple sno-cone with the ozone smell right before a thunderstorm. I wore this over some orange-scented lotion and smelled dee-licious. It lasted a long time on me, too which is unusual for such a green scent.

Definitely a keeper. But they're all keepers. Lately I haven't been paying as much attention to what clothes I put on, it's all about which imp's ear I'm going to try.

Ok, in summary, Undertow: aqua and green and cool, yet with a lingering sweetness. The most unique and original oil I've smelled yet.

Did I mention that I'm getting more fond of juniper all the time?

Juniper never gets sharp in Undertow, as the lotus note really keeps it smooth and part of the blend. This is aquatic and flowing, and although the mint fades away from the obvious things your nose senses pretty quickly, it helps keep this cool and refreshing.

Nice, and unique enough to be a standout, if not solely based on its other merits.

I picked this one simply for the name, in reference to the TOOL song. I thought I had to try it.

In the bottle...it was a tutti fruiti explosion. Now I don't like that type of flavour, but as a smell it always works for me.

On first application.....I smell the bubblegum which immediately turns to a lemony teatree oil smell. Very contrasting but lovely.

Within 5 minutes I can smell the tutti fruiti again, but more like a port wine magnolia smell. Yummier by the minute!

Then my Man walks in the room, "hmmm, what's that one. I like that!" Sniff, sniff, sniff. Winner!

The sweetness is complemented by the lemony sharpness.

Only problem is it only lasted about 2 hours on me with any strength. Awesome, but I may need to bath in it.

I want more, but may need to find a way to keep the scent on me.

i tend to like dark scents, and usually my chemistry is such that a dark/light scent such as undertow becomes just light on me. (but if i try to wear something very fruity, such as persephone, it smells terrible.)

i love to wear this when it's hot out, because it is such a cool scent. the mint is very present, and the juniper/pine backs the mint up, but does not overtake it. i would NOT characterize it as foody.

i think undertow is FRESH, lovely and accessible (ie. office-friendly) without being generic in the least.

I totally agree about the apple, before I read the description I was trying to figure out what fruit was in it.

The mint made my nose itch.

It's very light, and the juniper gives it something really different and unexpected.

I do like Undertow but I don't really associate this smell with water.

Nice for daytime, because it's so light. But it's such an unusual smell that

people around you might be sniffing and trying to figure out what it is!

Overwhelmed and loving it. :D :P :D

In the vial, all I could smell was a delicious salty, sweetness. But after I put it on and let it sit for a little bit, I was so overcome with deja`vu that my brain stopped even attempting to pull scents out and lay in them in a neat line. I have smelled something exactly like this before and, wherever and whatever it was, it made me happy. First I thought it was something that I wore, then I got a fat hit of lotus and thought that it was some kind of incense that I used to burn or smelled in one particular spot. Now, I have no idea. Could have been on me or on a stick, but deja`vu is all my brain will process right now. That and the sheer delight from this scent. It's clean, it's wet, it's fresh, and it's simply lovely.

Edited by pkwench

Mmmm....

What to say about Undertow?

I get the mint and the lotus in the vial, with just a hint of the juniper beneath it to stabilize it all. It's a very chilling, cold water fragrance, much like the name would suggest.

On me, the lotus takes over and it all becomes very fruity. I inhale lotus and exhale mint -- and alas, the stabilizing juniper doesn't stick around. However, it's very nice and I shall be keeping it. :P

hmmmm... I got this in a swap yesterday, and I tried it on. reminds me of a small spoiled child with a cold. vicks and marshmallows. then the menthol-ishness goes and I'm left with an blah synthetic white chocolate scent. it's a bit nauseating.

up for swaps it goes.

Thanks for the photos Ladylatemar!

On me this was mint and eucalyptus. Medicinal - or room cleanser - at first.

An hour later, it had developed into a lovely sweet minty desserty scent that I definitely wanted to try again.

In the Bottle: Undertow is fresh mint and lotus, a delicious smell.

On Me: It was really sharp at first and reminded me more of a champagne note than mint. But it dried down to a gorgeous smell that was an eye-opener and just divine! This will definately be a bigger bottle.

Undertow

in vial: a medicinal, Vick's Vap-O-Rub scent

wet: the same (I actually like the smell of Vick's, but I'm not sure I want a perfume oil that smells like this)

dry: thankfully, this dries to a sweet lotus scent, with mint lingering in the background...I'm not smelling the juniper at all. Unfortunately, it has faded after about 2 hours.

verdict: I like this, but wish it were longer lasting. I'll use up this imp, but probably won't be purchasing more.

undertow

at first: the lab included this as an extra. this is beautiful. watery and a bit sweet. i think i'm really going to like this one.

on: i think i'm smelling pine or something like pine, with a watery floral underneath. very interesting and beautiful.

1 hour later: now, all i'm getting is lotus and mint. very nice. still watery.

2 hours later: lighter, but still lotus and mint. very nice.

4 hours later: still loving it. much lighter, but still watery, floral, and minty.

overall: i love this. it may end up being a bottle purchase after i use up my imp.

Undertow is an amazing paradox. The mint adds a subtle edge of a cool breeze. I can definately see where ladylatemar gets her alpine image. At the same time the lotus adds a rounded almost bubblegum sweetness that seems completely in contrast to this coolness. The juniper, which can often become dominant, plays mostly a supportive role to the mint and lotus. The distinctive soft sweetness of lotus is prominant for the first 4 hours, but Undertow lingers if I put my wrist to my nose even nearly 10 hours later. Wow this lasts a long time on me, though I would reapply earlier.

I tend not to be a huge fan of lotus, but I am really glad to have had the chance to try another BPAL fragrance with mint. For those who may be nervous about ordering anything with mint I suggest giving it a shot. Beth has a wonderfully subtle way with the mints, so that if you didn't know better it might never occur to you that it was there. Yet it can add another layer of complexity that is unparalled and (at least to me) unexpected.

I got this as a freebie with the Halloween LE's (thanks LabGang!!!)

I liked this scent but am not as in love with it as I want to be... in the bottle it smells very delicate and feminie... like Sudha Segara's distant spicy cousin...

But on me... the juniper comes out strong and it has that gin smell for a long time...

As it fades its nicer... spicy but soft and feminine... but then its gone...

I don't think I could wear this one much becuase the gin smell is frowned upon at my work (I'm a teacher!!)

Nice blend though... maybe for the casa rather than the body

Got this as a freebie in my first Halloween order and I was thrilled because it was on my wishlist and I thought I'd love it, but...things didn't quite work out... :D

First sniff:

Minty and aquatic. I've never smelled lotus on its own, so I'm guessing that's what's causing the aquatic vibe I'm picking up. I don't smell any juniper, which is a shame because I love juniper. All I'm getting it mint and something that smells almost like salt water but slightly...sour? I'm no good at describing aquatic scents, so bear with me. :D

Wet on skin:

The mint disappears as soon as it hits my skin, leaving an aquatic, almost floral, note behind. It's an odd aquatic note, almost impossible to describe, and it's threatening to turn into something that smells like toilet bowl cleaner on me. I'm thinking it's the lotus doing this, since Blood Lotus did the same thing on my skin. :P

Dry down:

The toilet bowl cleaner stage is gone and I'm left with a slightly minty aquatic/floral note again. I really don't know where to begin in describing this scent, which I suppose must be the lotus. It's aquatic but almost sour (which I'm sure is the result of my body chemistry and not the scent) and vaguely floral at the same time.

The bottom line:

This is definitely not for me. I really don't think aquatic notes get along too well with my skin chemistry since most of the ones I've tried have turned sour and bordered on crossing into toilet bowl cleaner territory. I guess it's time to give up the ghost on aquatics. :D

Off to swaps with it; I'm sure someone out there will be able to wear it and make it smell beautiful. :D

At first this is fruity yet cold (interesting combination!) on my skin - I guess the fruitiness is the lotus - with a bit of a menthol bite.

Then the fruitiness is gone, and just the menthol remains. It's the perfume equivalent of a cough drop :P.

Interesting, but not for me. I wish I'd gotten the "creamy mintiness" another reviewer mentioned!

Undertow reminds me of winter in Colorado when the wind was coming off the mountains. It is so airy and minty. I am definitely going to buy a 5ml of this.