Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
fiddledragon

Essence of Sunlight - What's the sunniest scent?

Reading through your description again of what you've tried and what appeals, I'm going to go ahead and tenth or twentieth the Lion. Even though I think it's more dry heat, I think the others are right! This will probably be a winner for you.

And probably Dirty (my previous rec) won't be-even though it is to me. :P

Reading through your description again of what you've tried and what appeals, I'm going to go ahead and tenth or twentieth the Lion. Even though I think it's more dry heat, I think the others are right! This will probably be a winner for you.

And probably Dirty (my previous rec) won't be-even though it is to me. :P

I really should get around to trying Dirty...The Lion is quite warm and cuddly on me, but amber tends to go kind of sharp on me eventually unless it's tempered by something sweet. If I get another imp of it I should try layering it with Sudha Segara or something.

Just yesterday I tried Sol Invictus, and it really makes me think of winter sun! amazing scent. I have to try The Lion too.

Does anyone else have favorite "sunny" scents, particularly those that might not have an obviously solar name?

Tried Mag Mell yesterday and it was sunshine in imp form, in a very spring-sunshine, new-things-growing-and-blooming sort of way.

And bump :D.

Any suggestions for "sunshine in a bottle" for someone (yours truly) who hates citrus and can't wear amber? It seems that most of the recs in this thread are either citrusy or ambery (and then there's Eos, which has jasmine, which I can't wear either. Sigh.).

Incidentally, the "no citrus" prohibition also includes verbena. I amp it to crazy screaming levels :D. Mag Mell, for example, was all verbena all the time.

Of the scents listed in this thread, I've tried the following:

Tum

Ahathoor

Tiger Lily

The Lion

Litha

Phantasm

Lyonesse

Tamora

Eclipse

Hymn to Proserpine

Embalming Fluid

Sundew

Bengal

Mouse's Long and Sad Tale

None were keepers for me. I really liked Lyonesse in the wet stages, but the amber turned nasty on my skin.

I've actually tried and liked Kumiho (I no longer wear it, but it was one of my first "Hey, I like this!" scents when I got into BPAL a few years ago), but it didn't evoke what I'm looking for.

Hi, my name is Electra, and I'm being difficult :P.

Edited by Electra

Electra, have you tried Ostara? I don't even know how to begin to describe it, but it's definitely sunny in a very unusual way.

Danube has the word "dark" in the description but it made me think of bright sunlight reflecting off a stream. No citrus or amber.

That's so funny, Danube actually makes me think of rain! :P It's VERY pretty, though.

Electra, have you tried Ostara? I don't even know how to begin to describe it, but it's definitely sunny in a very unusual way.

I haven't, but maybe I'll try to get my hands on a decant. Thanks!

I'm looking for a solar scent. Something like sunlight and gold. I love Ahathoor and that suited my tastes very well, but now that that's discontinued, and I know my one 5 ml. bottle ain't gonna last forever, I'm looking for something else to eventually replace it. I don't want anything earthy, but I'd be ok with some light florals if it wasn't too overpowering.

I know that TAL has something that sounded close (Radiance of Ra) but I'm not looking for a strict ritual oil.

So, any suggestions?

Mag Mell is a citrus/amber blend that feels sunny to me, but it's a little more green-gold than spicy desert gold. You might try The Lion for a dry, spicy amber scent that a lot of people have described as golden, Bastet for sweet amber, or Morocco for the warm carnation/vanilla aspect that a lot of people got from Ahathoor.

There's a thread here discussing the "sunniest" scents - I'm not sure that I understand completely what you mean by "wealth" in the title, but if that's the ritual aspect you were using Ahathoor for, you can search the TAL sections for information on the Prosperity blends such as King Solomon's Gold, Aunt Caroline's Money Draw, Perpetuum Bonuum or Foundation of Fortune.

I second northatlantic's recommendation of The Lion - it's warm, sunny and spicy. I haven't tried Ahathoor in ages but I have heard people compare them favorably.

Is it okay to keep suggesting things?

If so, I would recommend Sundew. It's so bright and golden that it never fails to make me happy. I would second the Mag Mell rec, as Mag Mell needs more love.

Absolutely! Suggest away.

Seems a lot of people are suggesting Mag Mell. Though the description makes me think more of springtime than sunlight and heat itself, I think I may give it a shot anyways.

Northatlantic had it perfectly when they said "spicy desert gold". That's exactly what I'm looking for right now, but I'm open to other takes on the solar theme also.

I tend to get bad seasonal depression. I've found that warm-smelling scents tend to make me feel better about the icky cold weather. Jacob's Ladder is my favorite; I just bought a bottle off of someone after finishing the last of mine. The smell feels like it creates a little glow of warmth around me.

What are some other scents that remind you of sunlight or have an aura of warmth about them?

I definitely got a sunny feeling from Entangled - I think it's all the different kinds of ginger. It's kind of fizzy and almost citrusy without actually having citrus notes in it. Some folks got a smoky/charred smell though, so you might want to try a decant if that is not your bag.

Sol Invictus and Penitence come to mind when I think about bright smells...just off the top of my head.

Clemence (Patchouli, Kashmiri tea, cardamom, black pepper, carnation, and clove) has a warm, cozy feel. I get delicious spice tea from it. Another scent is Inez (Golden amber, vanilla musk, myrrh, cedar, carnation, and red sandalwood) which has the same warm amber glow to it as Jacob's Ladder.

Awwwwww I know how that feels! It's not necessarily the cold that brings me down, but the gray skies. Hugs!

I think you are on the right track combating SAD with aromatherapy. I will suggest a few that work for me. They aren't necessarily SUNNY, but they remind me of summer.

Titania - this one reminded me of a mid-morning picnic with fruits and tea on a table bathed in watery sunlight.

Hell's Bell - the South in Deep Summer.

Alcie - a Georgia fruit stand by the side of the road in the blazing sun. This one is one of the "happiest" I own.

Pandy - from the same Pandora collection. Another fruity, bright scent. This one has more honey, whereas Alcie is greener on me.

Kumiho - reminds me of White Tea and Ginger from Bath & Body Works. Always a mood-lifter for me because it reminds me of a cold glass of my mother's sweet, lemony iced tea.

And oddly enough - the new Blue Snowballs is saying "summer" to me! It must be the blueberries.

I am sure you will get lots of "sun" suggestions. So many it will make you do this: B)

Edited by zeldaZ4