Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
portalkat

Purple Phoenix

Porphyrogenitus, indeed; we worked for it! Not simply the color of royalty, purple is also the color of sorrow and mourning, reconciliation and forgiveness. A regal, majestic, and somber blend of myrrh, plum blossom, African violet, cognac, fig, orris, lilac, wisteria, black plum, and Burgundy wine grapes.

I don't have much time, but I just have to stop in and say...

Purple Phoenix is lovely warm purpley goodness. It's soooo purple smelling which is just amazing to me! I love the combo of fruits and florals with the booze thrown in to keep it from being too child-like. It's a rich, happy scent and I LOVE it!

eta: lab description. Edited by Shollin

I was a little scared upon sniffing it (I could smell a note that's in Le Serpent Qui Danse and hates me, I think it's violet--sigh), but when I apply it it disappears into the back ground, and it just smells like sweet, fruity wine with just a hint of flowers. Very Spring-like to me. I don't know that it's an everyday scent, but I like it.

In the imp, it was bright purple Concord grape juice. But as soon as it hit my skin, this musky resin developed. It's almost indistinguishable from Haunted. I don't know where the musk is coming from, though I assume the resin is the myrrh. I'd been leery of this because violet never works on me, but I don't smell any at all here. I'm glad I got the sniffie to test, but with what it does on me I might as well stick with Haunted.

Wet this is lilacs, wisteria, and a hint of grapes. It's sweet dewy florals mixed with juicy fruit. When first on it's mistly florals, very light and almost ethereal. It deepens and strenghtens and the myrrh really devlops. It's become a powdery, fruity blend. Purple Phoenix has the same quiet strength and melancholy qualities that Arachane does. The both smell like a very deep purple. This has become a new favorite and I'm so glad I got this! :P

the essence of purple – violets and grapes. there’s something “cold” about this blend. i’d say it is very dignified. the grape isn’t the usual juicy, bold note i’ve loved in other bpal blends. i think it’s overpowered by all the powdery, floral notes. it’s interesting but overall, it’s too floral for me.

at first: amazing. sweet, but deep, too. i love this.

on: fruit, but with a decent amount of myrrh. definitely purple.'

1.5 hours later: super soapy. the violet and plum blossom are rebelling.

2.5 hours later: all soap, all the time. almost violently sharp.

4.5 hours later: still horribly soapy.

overall: i need to stay away from blossoms.

I had to get Purple Phoenix because well, I love most 'purple' scents and have to try anything that has fig, plum and wine grapes in the description. :D When I first opened the bottle I immediately smelled something that reminded me of 'Poison', that dept store perfume. This made me a bit afraid, but I persevered. There was something lovely and fruity about it and I'm assuming that was the fruit notes I mentioned above, but at the same time I kept getting those wafts of dept. store Poison. :D

I held onto this one as long as I could because it is Purple Phoenix, but it was just to strong and perfumey for me, and I was never a fan of dept.store Poison, or Elizabeth Taylor. :P

This is just grape on me. It's not obviously fake like grape gum or grape cough syrup, but it's that generic grape smell. It doesn't change much from beginning to end either. If I ever come across SN: grape, don't sign me up.

I don't get much grape from this (and if there were ever a person who loves grape and fake grape, it's me), which was a bit of a surprise. The florals come out on my skin, but they're very restrained, probably by the other notes. Thankfully, the myrrh stays hidden for the most part, and Purple Phoenix stays a somber muted floral. I hesitate to classify it like that, though, because it's not just floral, but the purple bird doesn't seem to fit any other category. It's a deep purple, not the bright and loud purple I expected, but it's verynice nonetheless.

In the vial: Yowza! Plum! Delicious!

On the skin: lilac and wine, all heady and warmed by the sun. It's a definitive version of 'purple in a bottle', that's for sure. The myrrh is yummy and the wisteria is certainly prominent. Lovely overall!

Grapes and violets. That's it. Two notes that do not work on my skin, and sure enough, they team up to wreak havok on my poor wrist.

Actually, it's not as bad as all that. It's a darkly sweet fruity scent, really juicy. Not my thing, but I'm glad to have tried it.

Wet: very rich and grape-y. But there's more than just grapes. There's something lush underneath. Hm, as it dries I think I can spot the violet, very nice and rich and velvety and classy.

This makes me think of a sophisticated grape Jolly Rancher for high society dames.

MMMM. I bought a decant of this for a friend whose SN includes 'phoenix'...but after sniffing it, I dabbed a bit on...and the next morning a bit more...then I bought myself a 5ml. This is one awesome scent. The wine and myrrh notes keep the grape & violet from being overpowering on me. What a great blend. Between this and Faustus (the first one I tried that I went bonkers for) I begin to understand the fervor for BPAL.

purple is my favorite color, so i just had to try purple phoenix. i received a decant of it today and it is quite nice!

in the bottle: i mostly smell the violet and lilac, with a bit of grape- and a tiny bit of myrrh?

wet: tons of lilac and violet again. i smell a faint grapey/winey note which is surprising because my skin normally amps anything even remotely boozy (what does that say about me, i wonder... haha)

dry: it is stll very floral, but not an annoying, powdery floral- it's fresh and lovely and decidedly purple! i want more of this. :P

Wet: Rich, fruity, heady. I smell something boozey and grape.

First on: Erf. It smells like acetone/nail polish remover. Weird. Is that wisteria? Am I just being overpowered by the booze?

Dry: Violets and lilacs are trying to crawl out, but mostly just the weird chemical smell of nail polish remover. Bleh. :P

Bottle: Definitely grape. Rich and fruity.

Wet: All grape, all the time. Wait, there's florals.

Dry: Still grape + screaming florals (violent violet?).

Verdict: I'd really, really hoped for the myrrh to shine alongside the cognac and plum blossom -- and damn, I LOVE the concept! However, I'm not going to wear it, so it's gone to Dixiehellcat, who looks like she'll be head over heels over it. :P

Grape soda. Plain and simple. I get a rare whiff of violet, maybe myrrh, but mostly, it is grape soda. This is such a fun, cheerful, *silly* scent, and I love it. Perfect for summer.

At first this was thickly fruity and sort of syrupy. Like a grape candy. I looked up the notes and then realized that it was the wine and the cognac I was smelling. Very rich and heavy.

I like it best as it dries down and I can smell the myrrh and the florals. There is this stunning combination of smokiness (from the myrrh I think) and powder (from the violet and lilac). The florals seem to blend so well together. It still has that deep quality of the original fruity/wine stage, but in a more intimate way because it stays very close to my skin. There isn't a strong throw as there was before.

I like all of the Phoenix blends that I have, or have tried (Black Phoenix, Pink Phoenix, Red Phoenix) so I had to have this even though I had never smelled it. It is a beautiful addition to my collection and I'll love wearing it.

This could be interesting. African violet is new to me, but my skin doesn't like normal violet too much and it tends to go soapy on me. On the other hand it adores black plum and myrrh, and fig, orris and anything remotely connected to red wine do very well also. Lilac isn't bad either, and wisteria, plum blossom and cognac are unknown quantities. Hopefully this is more resin and/or fruity on me than floral.

In the bottle: grapes, vaguely medicinal.

Wet: Quite floral, which I wasn't expecting somehow.

Drydown: Oh here comes the plum and grapes! Now this is more like it! It's still floral, but the rich fruits add a new dimenson to it. As it dries some more the orris comes out quite strongly. As does the violet. Uh oh.

Dry: The violet is on the very brink of toppling into soapiness, but hasn't quite done so. The plum is surprisingly muted on me, in every other plum blend I've tried it's by far the dominant note but in this it's laying underneath the violet and orris with the grapes. Resin floral with fruit and wine underneath. I'm hoping the myrrh appears soon. *lol* As soon as I typed that it emerged! A soft myrrh, just adding something extra. And now it's moved from "hmmm" to "oh, maybe this one is going to end up ok!" because it's now more resin than floral. It's gaining a bit of throw now too, not a lot, just enough to waft up to my nose.

And at last the plum is starting to do it's thing! Which in my case is amp up and throw like crazy - except it's still more muted than the plum in anything else I've tried. Plum, orris and violet - and thankfully the later has receeded from the brink of soapiness. Actually this reminds me a little of King Cobra of all things, no doubt due to the orris which goes a bit powdery on me.

After an hour or so it ends up as a soft plummy somewhat powdery floral, and this is definitely the stage I like the most.

I like this, but I don't love it. If the plum, myrrh and grapes were stronger and the florals less prominant I daresay it would be a different story. However the bottle is a keeper for now.

I just got a frimp of this in a swap with the wonderful Marlena. Thanks, sweetie! :P

Yes, in the imp is is pure concord grape juice--not as sweet as grape candy, but more fresh juice.

As soon as I put it on, the grape recedes and I get wisteria, that heady, haunting purple note. (which makes me think of my wisteria growing misadventures at 7500 ft. in NM. Let's just say this: it didn't survive). It smells more like wisteria to me than lilac, but who knows? the two are similiar, though I think of lilac as just a bit sweeter.

I love BPAL's grape notes. Urd is a great favorite of mine, and this is the same grape. (And I never thought I liked grape as perfume until I tried BPAL). What I'm interested in this is if I sniff my arm from a certain angle it is all wisteria, but from another it is grape. So far, none of the other notes are making themselves known. No boozy notes, and no myhrr, though there is a base note I can't quite detect which is probably it. I don't smell violet, which is good because I don't much like it as a scent, but I really don't know if African violet smells like regular violets, though I don't remember my african violet plants being scented...

I love the early stages, heady and rich, but after 10 minutes or so, that fades, and I do finally get the slight booziness of cognac. It also becomes drier....the orris I imagine. And at this stage it really is regal, unlike the spring-fever wildness of the scent when it is wet.

I like it....but more in the wilder stage. I don't know if I'll keep the imp--I prefer the grape/patchouli of Urd--but I'm glad to have tried it, and I like it more than I thought I would.

This scent is somber, dusky, almost soporific. And yet at the same time it is regal and proud. It smells exactly like the color purple. It has a magical feel to it and I love wearing this whenever I am in a quiet mood.

First LE I ever bought, because purple is my favorite color. Granted, the description had something to do with it as well--I've had great luck with myrrh scents so far. This is no exception. Fresh on, it's bright wet grapes. Then the myrrh comes out, and the plum, and something floral--but the grape and myrrh stay on top. It's lovely and bold and a great confidence-giver to me. Wonderful.

Based on the Lab description, I was expecting a darker, solemn, moody sort of blend. I was suprised (but pleasantly so!) when Purple Phoenix actually turned out to be quite an uplifting, joyful scent.

It is, indeed, very purple. When wet, the plum and wine are the most prominent notes; the red wine reminds me of a softer and lighter Madrid, rich yet somewhat toned down by a deeper undertone which may well be the myrrh.

After drydown, Purple Phoenix takes on a drier, airier feel. The violet, cognac and lilac (or is it wisteria?) come to the foreground. Quite lovely and soft, a very interesting scent.

The staying power and throw are average or slightly below average.

I probably will not be hunting down a bottle of this, but I will certainly use up my imp.

Heavenly........

In Bottle: I get a strong wiff of the black plum and the grapes, but I also get a subtle hint of myrrh, violet, and something else I can't name.

Wet: Now I get the fig and some of the cognac too.

Dry: It's very nice, but now it's gotten kinda flowery.

I don't know that this is really going to be a fair review, as I only had a teensy little bit of this to try. But from my brief flirtation with this scent, it is LOVE. On me, it is grapes and lilacs and I *need* to find myself a bottle of this, STAT.