Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

D'Anjou Pear

This single note is sooooo good! It's better than a regular pear, I have to tell you - it's sweet while still keeping it's tang, and it has none of the sticky sugar syrup of a canned pear.

Not yellow and overripe, but pale yellow-green with just a hint of blush on the skin of this pear.

First Impression: A very fresh pear smell, but this pear is rather crisp and juicy.

Second Impression: It reminds me of the taste of a pear flavored hard candy.

Final Analysis: Lovely, crisp and a bit sweet. Very nice.

Beth&Co gifted me with a handful of singlenotes in one of my recent orders :P , and this was the first that I tried.

It immediately surprised me how very true this scent is, and at the same time, how much better it is than any of the pears I've ever encountered! Crisp is certainly the word for it, and cool, but it still has the sweetness of a perfectly ripened fruit.

Most excellent.

Like everyone said, this is the scent of the most perfect, most fantastic tasting pear ever!

Yes, it is fresh and crisp, but it also has a definite texture to it, somewhat grainy like the peel of a fresh pear. It actually reminds me of a very high quality pear sherbet :P

It is a very light scent on me and did not last long after I applied it. It is so good that I would gladly slather it on every 30 minutes, but since I only have an imp, I think I will rather use it to amp up the pear note in my beloved Endymion.

Gorgeous and incredibly true to the actual scent, like all the other BPAL single notes I had the pleasure of trying :D

Edited by Ishtar

D'Anjou Pear: Single Note

I ordered a 5ml of this scent for my sister who has been obsessed with getting a pear perfume since finding a small amount of pear essential oil at a fair several years ago. And, when it showed up I had to steal a small sniff of it. This is a truly wonderful scent -- smelling just like a fresh, ripe, watery pear...complete with a grainy scent to it, reminiscent of the texture of the fruit.

My sister, when she got it for Christmas, adored it and raved for a while about how it smelled just like the real thing. When she wears it, it smells like she actually dripped pear juice on her collar and wrists (although I hear that it isn't nearly as sticky :P ). The scent doesn't last for too long, but it lasts long enough to keep her happy. And with a full 5ml of it, and her only dabbing a bit on each time she wears it, it should last her quite a while. :D

D'Anjou Pear

Does what it says on the tin. This is a gorgeous ripe, juicy pear. I might be imagining it, but I almost smell a little cinnamon, too. This is absolutely perfect.

I couldn't believe my luck when I was able to get my hands on a bottle of this, which I split with a favorite BPAL friend. We are fortunate ladies indeed. This single note is the juiciest, creamiest scent of pear I have ever experienced from a bottle - it's the aroma of an authentic, beautiful perfectly ripe pear held close to your nose and multiplied by 20. It has enough complexity to wear alone as a perfume or to amplify the pear note in some of my favorite blends such as Endymion. Anyone trying to pass off synthetic pear fragrance on the unsuspecting public would spontaneously begin to flog themselves in shame upon sniffing this incredible creation... really, it's just so good.

In bottle: Very very sweet pears. In my mind, the default fragrance of a pear is that of Bartlett; D'Anjou pears are quite a bit juicier and smell rather syrupy to me.

On me: Beautiful and true to D'Anjou pears. It's very syrupy, almost mushy to me, like a veryvery ripe pear. Again, I suspect that it is because I prefer the scent of Bartlett pears, which are a bit crisper and sharper. It's almost as if there's hints of brown sugar or something mixed into this, or spices to make it a bit foodier.

I just recieved a bottle of D'Anjou Pear I bought from an absolutely wonderful forumnite friend. Now, when I heard she had D'Anjou Pear I thought "squee! single note! Hmmm...pears smell pretty nice..." so yeah, I was happy to be getting it. I've only smelled two other SNs--Vanilla Bean and Georgia Peach--and gotten a pretty good impression of what the Apricot SN smelled like from March Hare. I ADORE/WORSHIP vanilla bean, but georgia peach and Apricot just went sort of...Hi-C on me =/ so I was like...hmmm...will I like the pear sn?

Well let me tell you--this is PEAR. I'm used to the brown, gritty, tough pears--THIS ISN'T IT. This is...amazing....this isn't canned pears--oh no; I can smell the freshness. This is a naturally sweet pear, not a sugar-coated pear. This is juicy and textured...

I never knew I could love pear this much. I'm not usually a fruity scent person. But I've realized that I'm not a fruity scent person because most fruity scents don't actually smell like the genuine article. This does.

That's all I have to say :P:bow:

Mmmmm......what a wonderful pear scent, a very syrupy slightly spicy pear. To eat I prefer harder greener pears than this, but as a scent this is just about a perfect pear scent :P .

The crisp, green scent of a D'anjou Pear picked at the very peak of perfection. Nothing more. Nothing less. Perfect.

Did not really get to test the lasting power yet since, when applying, I found Vanilla Bean leaking and had to rescue some of those dribbles. A nice pear-ing.

Truly sad I failed to splurge on a gallon of this.

If it smells so much like a pear my mouth watered, something was done right. Now during drydown it has a slight medicinal tang and a hint of spice -- the medicinal tang i'm pretty sure will soon disappear. Any scent I like seems to have that less than yummy tang during drydown. If the spice remains, cool... if it doesn't, I'm still happy. I wish I had some pears around to eat.

now it smells like there's a flower in there? eek, i really hope that goes away and returns to pear. i'll check it in 20 min or so.

i think i killed my nose trying to sniff all the SNs i just got in. i can't smell a darn thing now. i'll have to try again tomorrow.

Edited by Cagedflame

Bottle (Imp): Oooh, it smells just like a pear. I want to take a bite.

Just On: Oooh, I just opened a jar of pears that were freshly preserved, and this is IT. I already love this almost as much as my Raspberry SN.

An hour or two later: Rats, it's fading, but it still smells like I've spilled a bit of pear juice on me. I have to curb the urge to lick my wrist.

Around 6 hours: It's getting pretty faded, but with my wrist glued to my nose, I can still smell it. Of course, it's hard to type, and do other things, but oh this is a wonderful scent.

12 hours: It finally got to where I can't smell it. I think I might cry about that.

Overall: I love this, it is so freakin beautiful. Sometimes I just want to sob that I've mossed out on so many of these beautiful scents because I didn't discover BPAL earlier. But then again, there's a bright side to that, as I've had so many people swap generously with me so that I could try these. Always looking for that silver lining. I may have to go buy pears at 2 am.

After reading other reviews: I agree with what has been said, though I think of it as fresh canned pears (not the store bought kind, the ones you do yourself in your kitchen so they are perfection when opened. Yet another SN that amazes me.

Smells exactly like a pear. The perfect combination of sweetness, juicyness, and syrupyness. If I ever had a need or desire to wear fruit scents, I'd horde this one like mad, but fruit scents aren't really my thing, so I kept a tiny bit for sniffing purposes, and sent the rest of it on its merry way.

In the imp: perfect pear. Juicy and not overripe.

On me: stays exactly the same from start to finish, which was about 6 hours later.

I picked up a number of SN before they went sayonara, and this is in my top 5.

119804505.jpg

BPAL blends which include D' Anjou Pear (vs. English , Red or White pear) as one of it's ingredients:

Endymion, Glitter.

In the bottle

*sigh* Lovely. A lovely juicy pear.

On

Why didn't I get a bottle of this when i had the change...Why?!

*ahem*

30 minutes

It's still a perfect pear scent; tart and sweet, fresh, juicy.

Throw:

average

Scent category:

Fruity

Summary

Another one to pine over for it's discontinued status. At an hour it still smells wonderful.

Purchase again?

Yes without a doubt, a 10ml if I could be tranported back in a flippin' time machine.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

Edited by UltraViolet

Oh, my. Nothing but pear here. It makes me hungry just smelling it. It's got that sweet, juicy smell and maybe just a hint of a syrupy smell like the pears found in fruit cups.

I never thought I would love fruit scents but this one is definitely making me reconsider. I actually have a strong urge to use this as a room scent. I'll definitely have to give it a test for long term wear. Mmm, fruity.

Juicy juicy juice juice! Pure pear juice! It softens after the first blast, and becomes still juicy and fruity, but a little more on the floral end of things, with a touch of alcohol.

at first: sweet pear.

on: sweet and crisp. clean. almost sparkly.

2.5 hours later: softer and almost floral. sweet pear perfume. very nice.

overall: nice, but not something i'll reach for often.

I have a cold, so maybe my nose is a bit off... but this smells rather floral to me. We have a huge pear tree behind our house in Missouri, and this reminds me of when the tree would actually be filled with thousands of sweet, white blossoms. In the drydown a fruitiness comes out, but it's actually not reminding me that much of pear. I can smell pear if I really use my imagination, but mostly this is a floral/fruity blend on me.

It's very pleasant and pretty... but has too much of a floral edge for me.

This is interesting, because while I smell pear in this single note, it smells like more than just pear to me. It has almost a floral edge to it - on me this smells like an entire pear tree, rather than just the fruit. It's sweet, soft, and green.

It's very pretty, and I'll certainly wear it, but I have to admit I had hoped for the true pear scent that the other reviewers seem to get. Stupid skin.

In Bottle: Pear candy

On Skin: This is the single note I’ve been most excited about. But… it doesn’t really smell like pear to me, it smells like pear candy. You know how cherry candy never really smells like real cherries, or banana candy never smells like real bananas? That’s the case here. This is really sweet, it almost smells like there’s vanilla in it. There is a slight tart pear peel note to it, but it’s overpowered by the sweeter note. But… as the scent develops (insert happy grin here) it actually starts to smell like a real pear!!! Yes!!! Now I can get that scent triggered “taste” in my mouth, perfect! I love it! I’m so happy it morphed!! It’s so unique, I can’t think of any perfume that has this as it’s dominant note… Beth, could I beg you for a STRONG pear scent blend? Very light throw and short wear length.

Single Note: D'Anjou Pear - This is such a pretty single note! If I had access to bottles of this, I'd be several! It's so light and fresh and pretty. It smells nothing like an actual real-life pear -- it's more of an artificially-flavored sweet-candy scent, like what you'd find if Jolly Rancher made a D'Anjou Pear flavored candy. However, it's still a fabulous scent, and now that I've tried this single note, I definitely understand why I like Glitter so much -- because it's predominantly D'Anjou Pear scented! Sadly, there's virtually no throw and I can only smell it up close on my skin, and it fades totally and completely within a couple of hours, sometimes even quicker than that if I'm having a particularly dry-skin day.

This smells.... remarkably like an actual piece of fruit. Very green, very fleshy. I can practically feel a piece of pear in my mouth as I sniff this. Unfortunately, I'm just not that keen on pear.