Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

D'Anjou Pear

Man, this is a great scent. It is a green, fleshy, yummy pear which, unfortunately, covets the lifespan of a mayfly. I put this on less than 30 minutes ago and it is almost gone. Sure was lovely while it lasted. I could smell peel. :P

Eddie Izzard has a routine about the difficulties of pears--catching them just at the perfect moment of ripeness can be very difficult. The BPAL D'Anjou Pear note does a beautiful job of capturing that moment. As the previous reviewers have indicated, this is a very juicy and ripe and sweet pear, especially when wet. You can imagine the perfectly cut slices in your hand, and it is neither too hard (and thus lacking juiciness and scent) nor too soft (and smelling rotten). On my skin, the undiluted pear remains pretty constant, though it does not last particularly long on me and it almost seems to "go backward" as when it gets lighter it reminds me more of a pear that is not yet ripe (it is still very green and there is a hint of the juiciness to come, but we're not there yet) as opposed to one that has gone soft. When I look at my notes, I see that D'Anjou pear has a tendency to be overwhelmed by other notes when it is in a blend (at least on my skin), and indeed, it is hard to detect after 15-20 minutes. Still, in its moment of ripeness, however brief that might be, it is lovely indeed.

Origin: partial vial bought on LiveJournal

Initial Thoughts: I don't usually go for overly fruity notes, but pear is one I have enjoyed very much in some blends, so I've been on the lookout.

In the Vial: Holy cow...that smells exactly like a fresh pear! There's a bit of tart to keep it from being too candy-ish and a bit of sweet to keep it from being too on-the-tree green.

Wet: On my skin the pear takes a dive to the sweet side. There's a syrupy element that I associate with canned pears that wasn't there before.

Drydown: This one does indeed grow faint fast. But what I can still smell has taken on an almost floral edge, an undertone of musk. It's still pear, but on me it turns more into a pear perfume than a pear single note.

Verdict: Interesting. I'd definitely wear this alone or layered if it were readily available.

Sweet, juicy, apple-y pear. Candied and juicy and dripping with fresh deliciousness.

This is lovely! :wub2:

Oh well, 'tis better to have loved and lost....I have to pass this sniffie along in my imp-swap circle!

Again, time does a disservice to the fruit SNs. I found it on wet to be more like the skin of a pear, slightly fragrant, pear-ish. As it dried, it smelled more like pear blossom on my skin. After about an hour, it's more like a canned pear, it has an almost syrupy note, almost musky.

Definitely more like pear perfume than straight up fresh pear.

Sampled at a MnS. In the bottle this smelled like fresh D'anjou Pears. Green ones you find on the tree. There was something definitely perfumey underneath the pear note...but Beth's interpretation was pretty much on the money. I used to pick these off trees at home when they were green...and this is exactly what they smelled like!