Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nightgaunt

The High Priest Not To Be Described

Monastic incense, blood musk, black leather, cypress, pimento, white pepper, and Roman chamomile.

In the bottle: This is strange... some kind of spicy herb, cypress, and I think some leather.

Wet: Salty leather and cypress, with a definite bite of pepper and pimento.

Drydown: This is mostly pimento on me, very hot and spicy and somehow meaty. Then I get chamomile, a very strong floral chamomile that pretty much takes over all the rest. It settles on a background of musk and leather, and sort of smells like honey. The pepper has become gentler after a while, and it's nearly like a chamomile single note.

Overall: This is a very weird blend, hard to describe (as per its name). It's mostly chamomile which I find very invasive and sickly sweet, with dark leather in the background which makes it hard and gives it a sort of rubbery feel. The pepper and pimento don't suit me, they constantly make me think of burnt meat. It's a bit of a jumble

Edited by Shollin

Not a fan. I think there must be something I really don't like about the combination of leather and musk, because I get the same thing from this that I get from Loviatar--this unrelentingly heavy, cheap perfume-y smell, like I stuck my face into the bosom of an unwashed blonde biker chick.

So--leather, musk? Check. Incense? It's there, too, giving this a bit more complexity than Loviatar. Pimento and chamomile are MIA. Pepper--just a tinge; I can more feel its effect on the back of my throat than smell it. Six hours in, I get an almost tonka-ish note, too, though that's not listed as one of the notes.

Off to the swaps this one goes.... well, maybe I'll let my husband try it and see if it works better on him.

ETA: Well, I promised this for a swap right after my husband had a chance to try it. Turns out it's delicious on him >.< Gah! Now I'll need to get him a bottle...

Edited by CaptainEcchi

at first: woods, pepper, and incense. interesting.

on: lots and lots of pepper.

1.5 hours later: faint. a bit of musk and incense.

3 hours later: soft, peppery musk with a bit of incense.

5 hours later: a very faint incense scent.

overall: this is a really interesting incense scent, but doesn't really work for me.

Origin: Frimp from the Lab

Initial Thoughts: Between the blood musk, the black leather and the incense, I would definitely not buy this for myself.

In the Bottle: Oddly sweet and fruity, but with hints of a rotten core.

Wet: A very sweetish musk. It reminds me of an incense that an old friend used to burn in her house

Drydown: This one doesn't morph much on me. It remains an incense with sweet fruity touches.

Verdict: Not something I would wear.

This is a spicy leather scent, with a really nice incense over the top. It does smell masculine to me, but not too much. Over time it's mostly leather and incense, but not in a loud way. It's soft. I think this scent is on the comforting side. I'd probably like it better without the pepper and pimento, but they're not bad. They give it an interesting twist.

This is a very nice twist on a traditional masculine leather scent- at first (wet on my skin) it smells resinous in a way that is similar to Mr. Jaquel. Then it dries down to leather + incense/resins + a hint of cologne. I like the way this smells, but this is the same leather that is in Loviatar- I am quite sure of this because I get headaches from that type of leather (it's a dark leather smell as opposed to that in, say, Quincey Morris) and sure enough, I have a headache from this one, too.

Anyhow, if you like leather scents and they don't give you nasty headaches, then you should definitely try this one.

Initially I wrote this scent off as "too masculine" and decided not to try it. I was frimped it in my last order, though, so maybe Fate knows something I don't.

In the imp, all I can smell is some kind of musky incense-y blend. Can't pick out any notes. Except the musk, hehe.

On me, it actually isn't all that masculine. I mean, if it worked, I'd wear it. Unfortunately the nice incense-y smell gets a lovely hint of cypress, then dives right into band-aid territory. Probably the leather -- BPAL's leather doesn't really work on me. [eta: I tripped over this review a few years later, and given what I know now, I'd say the band-aid effect probably has more to do with the pepper than the leather.]

Yeah, it's not going to leave The Band-Aid Zone.

Edited by karen

I got this as a frimp in an order from a forumite. On me, it's a sort of spice-meets-incense-meets-leather combo. Really nice, but incredibly light. I can barely smell it when it's wet...and then it gets even lighter as it dries...and it's gone in about 30 minutes.

I like it, but I like to be able to smell my fragrance without keeping my nose glued to my wrist. A little too light for me, which I suppose is the point--that makes it harder to describe.

In vial: smoky incense and musk, with a touch of woody leather.

Wet: This is very masculine, yet untouchable. Remote and haughty.

Drydown: Black leather and musk. This priest has a kinky side underneath that robe.

Yipe, something's turned this to soap! Off to someone who'll appreciate it more.

It get warm amber and pepper from this. It kind of reminds me of The Lion. I smell the leather, but it's pretty faint. Warm and desert-y. It smells like I would imagine an exotic sandy palace.

I'm a big Lovecraft fan. Azathoth was the PiA blend I bought for the name. This was the one I bought for the notes. Everything about this blend screamed 'buy me'. I adore cypress, BPAL's leather is heavenly on me, I love incense and resins, and pepper.... yay! I've also grown fond of BPAL's musks so I figured I couldn't go wrong with this one, and leaped right into a big bottle. I got it a couple of days ago, and have been wearing it non-stop.

In the bottle, I get mostly incense and leather, with a hint of a spicy edge, peppery and also kind of cinnamony.

Wet on me, this almost becomes 'the thing that should not be'. It grows a bit spicier on my skin, with a sour undercurrent of decay, like something's a bit off with this blend. I think the combination of leather and musk act up for a moment, and the result, though not entirely unpleasant, is certainly disconcerting.

Part of the attraction to this blend isn't just how it smells on me, but how it feels. At the wet stage, it actually tingles on my skin, the pepper and spices caress me with a warmth that is just this side of discomfort. Fortunately it never goes beyond a tingle - I get no rashes, redness or burning, so it remains pleasant in a... uh... almost unpleasant way. Just part of the charm of this intriguing blend. However, I may not be able to wear this in high summer, because of the heat it imparts.

The drydown is way too beautiful. I love this combination of leather, incense and spice. The musk stays in the background, adding depth but not glaring. The spice to me leans more toward a cinnamon or cardamom type spice, rather than being peppery, but it isn't as sharp as cinnamon. I regret the cypress doesn't assert itself more on me, but its forgivable, considering how unique and mysterious this smells on me.

This is one of those fragrances that keep my nose glued to my wrist all day, and must go on my top ten list. I'm in love!

:P

Bottle: dark and dirty. not dirt - uncleanliness.

Wet: I can separate the pepper, and some sweetness (blood musk?), and leather

Dry: add to that the incense. no amping cypress yet, so that's a good thing

Later: the leather has faded (usually it amps, so this is a pleasant surprise), and the cypress has not amped - but something here isn't working, or not working with something else...but the sweetness is almost sour, it's very strange.

wow i love this one. it's slightly musky and ambery but with a cleanness to it. i dont get much leather though and i wish i did! the pepper and incense add a nice spiciness and depth. this scent is sexy and warm but comforting at the same time.

A deep red, spicy gentleman's blend. It smells primarily of dragon's blood and pepper, which results in a cinnmon effect. The undertones remind me of a sexy men's cologne. This is a very bold, zesty, sexy scent. Although it strikes me as masculine, I'm sure it would be lovely on either of the sexes. This doesn't have quite as much throw as many of the lab's cinnamon scents, which is just fine with me.

Not quite my thing, but I bet the boy will like it.

When I really love a scent, I always have a moment when I fall over and just inhale long, blissful whiffs of whatever beautiful thing I have anointed my wrist with. :P It's only happened a few times. I was pleased and surprised when I had that reaction with the High Priest.

At first, the imp smells of nothing so much as strong black pepper. I don't know why - perhaps the pimento blends with the white pepper, or some such thing. I am reminded of the spice aisle of my favorite gourmet grocery. When I wear the scent, though, it blossoms into something truly gorgeous. It stays strongly peppery at first. Gradually, the pepper evaporates to reveal the most perfect combination of leather and incense that I have ever sniffed. It is a wonderful balance of spice and leather that makes me wonder why I have so many other vials of perfume, and what I will do with all of those little vials now that I have clearly found my One True Love.

The High Priest is, however, is nothing more than a fling. After a strong seduction, he remains lovingly close for a brief period of time. Then he begins to disappear, until he's simply gone without a trace. I cannot detect more than the smallest bit on my wrist (after applying less than an hour before). Now, the pain and sorrow of heartbreak and abandonment. :D

I love this scent, and I may see how it fares in a scent locket (once mine arrives), but it doesn't last nearly long enough on my skin for me to allow myself to get any more involved than I already am.

How weird.....this is another one I tried without knowing the notes in it....although I remembered something about black leather and incense. So what does it smell like? Well, on my skin, it smells mostly like bpal's cassia note....kind of a dry cinnamon smell. There is some kind of tartness just following up on the spiciness. And maybe just a hint of leather. Imagine my surprise when I read the notes and saw that there's no cassia listed! When I wore this, it smelled almost identical to the Dodo (which also had a lot of cassia, with a tartness underneath). I almost wonder if I got a mis-labelled imp, but others got cinnamon out of this too, so I guess it's the right one.

Overall, I don't hate the scent, but it just didn't 'grab' me the way I wanted it to. I will put this in my 'indecisive' bin and try again later. Or it may end up in my swaps. Not sure yet.

Edit: This is yet another scent that has benefitted a whole lot from just a little aging. I tried this again and was quite pleasantly surprised at how much I really like it. I think the first time, I was trying to hard to pick it apart and analyze it. When I tried it again, I think there was more of a gestalt, if I'm using that word correctly. I really picked up the overall mood and tone of the scent. It was dark and brooding, something like a relative of Count Dracula, even though they're 2 entirely different scents....the mood was similar to me. I may be getting a bottle.

Edited by Forspecial Plate

I got this frimp with my last order and was immediately intrigued. It has quite a few notes that I love (incense, resin, musk) and tend to amp that I wonder why I didn't have this on my To Buy list.

Initial Impression: incense, musk, spice, chamomile. I like this. It's sweet and spicy with a subtle muskiness.

On Wet: the incense becomes sweet, a hint of leather appears, the cypress really amps, and I'm smelling the pepper. I'm also feeling a bit of a tingle from the pepper. I like!

On Dry: strong cypress, sweet chamomile, and a hint of incense. I can't stop sniffing myself.

Final Impression: I really love this scent! It's exotic, woodsy, spicy, and very, very sexy. Everything I love!

Rating (on a scale of 1 to 5): a strong 4.

I bought this on a whim, since I *dislike* leather, but I do like musk and incense notes.

Imp: Peppery! Warm and spicy, but refreshing almost. Maybe a hint of cypress, or what I imagine cypress to smell like.

Wet: Pepper pepper pepper! Some musk under it. Somehow, this feels refreshing, although I usually find musk to be a heavier feeling tone.

Dry: Pepper still, which I'm loving, mingling with sweet florals and musk. Sort of incensy, but not overly so.

Definitely liking this one. It's not a top ten, but it's intriguing none-the-less.

Musk and leather over incense provide a powerfully sexual blend.

On, the pepper gives this a high, keening note that seems to cry out of the middle of this scent. The chamomile is a fusty, herbal sweetness. The musk and leather are hand-in-hand, so rich and full that they are dizzying.

This is subtler than I'm making it sound. It's not a smell you can describe as "big," but it is enveloping, like a shadow. It's all atmosphere, a shape described only by shadows, the scent equivalent of a Mike Mignola drawing, where it's all chiaroscuro. As the pepper settles a bit, it shifts back and forth between incense and spice, with musk and leather providing a steady drone in the background.

It's moderate in intensity; respectable but not overwhelming throw, with a formidable aura of menacing sexuality. There is a spicy essence to this that is reminiscent of Geek, quite reminiscent. This has the same dangerous feel to it, the same feral, lurking quality of someone not quite right.

And yet, there is a softness to it. Musk is soft, the leather warm, the incense enveloping.

This is just a little weird . . . the pepper draws you in, the keening violin-strings warning of danger, but you can't turn away. And it becomes the darkness you are drawn into, the thing that waits for you there. A bitter note comes out ever so faintly on the drydown, giving this a final unnerving phase, like the climactic revelation.

I can't pin this to a person. I could as easily imagine this on a club-hopping sex-hungry androgyne as I could on a slightly kooky secretary. I can imagine this on some scary multiply-pierced warlock, or on a teenager necking in the back seat of a car. This is just the scent of the darkness waiting inside all of us.

To mangle a metaphor, if you sniff too long at the abyss, it sniffs back. You'll probably want to smell something like this, so it will recognize you as family.

This was a frimp.

Wet - very spicy, cinnamon, incense. I really like this.

After 15 minutes - softer, more floral, almost powdery. Oh dear, I don't like powdery.

After an hour - Everything has settled down and it is like soft leather vanilla spice. Very sexy. Soft, rich and hot all at once. I really, really like this.

Leather, inscense ... and BenGay. Not sure what the BenGay smell is coming from, it's something spicy and almost like eucalyptus on my skin. er, not for me!

The High Priest Not To Be Described

First impression, peppery incense. Then, a whiff of cinnamon. A flicker of tea. Overall, it's mostly a spicy incense so far. I'm hoping the leather doesn't make much of an appearance, as Severin's leather note really bothered me. I'm expecting it to change, but it's remaining in something of a mild cinnamon candy; almost a quieter version of the Dodo.

I'm still not really detecting leather, if it's there, it's behaving, thankfully. The tea was just a flicker, and was gone practically as soon as it arrived.

[1 - Hate] .. [2 - Dislike] .. [3 - Like] .. [4 - Really Like] .. [5 - Love]

4 : I am a sucker for warm, spicy, incense laden scents.

In the bottle: Definetly caught my attention. Musky, intriguing... decided to dab some on before class...

I'm enjoying the way this one went on. Excellent throw, something very heady about it. The incense really shows through.

30 minutes later, a girl comes into the class, sits down at the desk next to mine, and proceeds to sniff the air, then inches closer and closer, sniffing more and more, before looking up at my bewildered look and commenting on how amazing I smell.

Definetly going to order a bottle of this one in my next order.

This started out soooooo promising! It was spicy, it was warm, I could practically feel the incense. It went all sweet at the drydown, however.