Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Rough on the edges, but possessing the true essence of valor and nobility of spirit: tobacco, vanilla, white pear, cedar, rugged musk and saddle leather.

This is really such a rugged scent, I couldn't say no. The idea of the sweet notes mingling with the rough musk and leather just makes me excited. I certainly hope it lives up to it!

In the bottle - LEATHER, some musk and quite a bit of clarifying tobacco. It's got a strong tang of colonge. So far, I love it!

Wet - Holy clarifying power, Batman! 0_o Yiiiikes.

Drying - Oh holy gods, this is good stuff. The darker notes are there (tobaccy, leather, musk, ceder) but the pear is just cutting through it all, giving it some class. Traditionally I despise pear, but this is actually working for me. This very much is a sophisticated cowboy, one who's showered. I can get some vanilla there, too. In fact, I think it's softening the pear around the edges so that it doesn't kill me. Whoohoo!

Dry (45 minutes) - I don't know if anyone else's skin does this, but mine has the tendency to break down bouquettes. In this case, the leather. My skin has zoomed in and is systematically breaking it down, making it smell almost herbal. It's really pretty sad, since that's the only thing that's coming through now.

Overall - I'm not giving up on this one. It might just be chemistry making things strange and it had such a wonderful smell at the beginning...

Whoo, baby - this is extremely similar to the leather from Dead Man's Hand, but tempered ever so slightly (and I do mean slightly) by the other notes. I was sort of hoping for a fruity, vanilla, tobacco scent with a touch of leather that I could wear, but this is definitely going to be wandering over to Mr.Man's BPAL box-o-fun. :P

The leather is forefront, sweetened by tobacco and a little pear. The musk is rich and lively.

It becomes delicious when body heat warms it and the notes separate. Vanilla and pear are present but not overwhelming, lending the whole a sweetness that's not quite sugary. Tobacco leaf and saddle leather mix. This is the same leather from Dead Man's Hand, it is not the De Sade leather note. De Sade's leather is smoky boot leather. Quincy's leather is the slightly chlorine scent of rawhide or suede. The cedar comes out after a while, not overwhelming. It's mixed in with the tobacco. A manly scent, but not a crude or impolite one. Just a little rough.

On the weardown I get sweet leather and subtle cedar, with a musky flush and just a faint, faint whiff of blonde tobacco. I swear, I smell this, I feel a scratchy, manly jawline. It's masculine but not in an overt, cologne-y sort of way. It's just, "Oh, hmm. Here's what this guy actually smells like." Fascinating and yummy.

I could smell like this. I'd be happy to meet a man who smelled like this. And I 'd be happy to Do Things to him. Yup, Quincy's a winner all around. Definitely one of the good guys.

I had high hopes for this; love the character, and all the notes sounded like things I'd love.

On me, wet, the cedar amps way, way up and goes sharp, almost drowning out everything else. The other notes are clearly in there, mixing to create an almost mineral-ish background, but my first impression is that I'm smoking a cigar in the middle of a forest, and apparently inhaling the trees. It's not truly terrible, but it's not something I want to smell like, either.

Thankfully, the cedar dies down after a few minutes, the leather comes out, and this is the Quincey I was hoping for! Warm, brown leather, and that cedar forest has turned into a dusty plain. The other notes are barely noticeable, and there's not so much as a hint of that pear, but that's all right, I'm in love with this leather all on its own. And the leather lasts and lasts once it's dry.

Verdict: Not a fan of those first few minutes of cedar, but I'm enough in love with the drydown to make this a keeper.

Edited by Bangles

at first: tons of tobacco, cedar, and leather.

on: i only put a tiny bit of this on, since it's so strong in the imp. i'm mostly getting cedar with a hint of leather.

1.5 hours later: this is so leathery that it's overwhelming.

4.5 hours later: just strong leather.

overall: this just isn't for me. i really like dead man's hand, but i think the leather in this is too much on me.

In the decant: It smells rather strongly of something just...masculine and indeterminate to me. I wasn't sure I wanted to put it on at first, but I decided to give it a good ole college try.

On my skin (wet): MAN. It smells like new leather, squeaky clean new leather with a kind of sour scent that I wasn't prepared for. I almost thought it smelled like sweat at first.

After about an hour (dry): It still smells like new leather and I've managed to determine that the sour scent I was smelling is a fruit. I looked up the description to tell which one and yeah, I can believe it's pear. It's a gorgeous blend really, but it's just too masculine for me. I'd love to smell it on a guy though. It's very rugged and inspiring.

In bottle: pale and thin. Clean over light fruit.

Wet: cliean over light sweetness with a hint of musk.

Dry: Oh, ho, there’s the leather, and It’s very dry (needs some oil) along with the clean. The musk stays in the background.

Later: much the same with the leather strongest. I think I want leather with either more musk or something like amber or dragon’s blood resin.

Summary: Not something I need more of but I’ll hold onto the imp for the moment.

I'm not quite sure what I think of Quincey Morris. Initially the leather comes on much stronger than I would like (I dislike the smell of leather). It starts to fade after a short while, and the sweeter notes start to come out. Unfortunately, the scent utterly dies shortly after the sweet notes come out - I couldn't even smell it pressing my nose into my wrist. I would like to try this one again with a heavier application to see if I can get a better idea of the scent.

My first review on the forums, and it's an odd one. :D

I bought this 5ml as part of my first-ever BPAL order... for my husband, for Christmas. I didn't open it when it came - I hid it in a safe, cool place. The first time I ever smelled it was when he wore it. (I will confess to sniffing the bottle after he'd opened it.) I thought I'd like it from the description, and found myself oddly superstitious about giving him a perfume oil. Anyway...

Bottle: Brown suede leather. Sweet brown suede leather, like my Dad's leather carving tools.

On DH, wet: There's a waft of leather, vanilla-cinnamon-cream tonka and general sweetness that makes me sit up and take notice. The DH is regularly amused that he can make me stop in the middle of sentences by passing his wrist over my face. :D

On DH, dry: Vanilla cream, pears, and leather. I'm still paying rapt attention. It doesn't have a lot of throw, but when I nuzzle in the fine scent lasts and lasts.

I love the smell of brown leather here, and wish I could have tried Dead Man's Hand. My favorite-ever LE yet! Thanks Beth for ennabling my DH to the scent-feast of BPAL! :P It's been fun.

In the Bottle: Sharp, almost medicinal. I think it's the cedar meeting the tobacco.

Initial Wet: Leather and tobacco. Not tobacco as it's being smoked, but rather the smell of a fine cigar just out of its box. The leather is very certainly leather, like sticking my nose into my suede jacket.

Initial Dry: It smells like stepping into an old fashioned style riding store with wooden planks and saddles displayed along the walls. Tobacco lays right underneath the leather and there's just an afterthought-hint of sweet pear and vanilla.

Drier Dry: The vanilla comes forward and softens the sharpness of the leather. The cedar is more prominent and the tobacco is more laid back. The scent is soft and more gentlemanly than rugged.

Overall, I like this scent. It's one of the few leathers that works on me and doesn't go sweaty-sour. It makes me smell like I've been wearing a leather jacket. I don't get a lot of musk out of this at all, just a sweet leather scent. I really think my man should wear it, I love the smell of leather on him, but he's really not into wearing scents.

ETA: I tried it on the hubby and at first it's all pear and vanilla, then slowly over the course of an hour morphs into sweet leather with a hint of wood. It's much more girly on him than it is on me. *pouts* I wanted him to smell like rugged leather.

Edited by kraken

Sweet pear and vanilla under a very strong, rich brown leather note. The leather definitely dominates this blend, and it smells very much like horse tack. This is a very masculine blend; it smelled very good on my husband and the leather scent lasted all night. This is not my kind of thing, but the hubbie likes it a lot, so I'm sure he'll hijack my decant.

In the bottle: sweet brown leather. Not the black dangerous S & M leather of Count D, but cowboy leather. Beth and her labbies are amazing. I don't know how they do it, but if I ever move to CA, I will beg for a job so I can learn.

Wet: brown worn in leather, and pear.

Dry down: leather chaps and pear. This is fresh and clean, more Summer to me than Fall.

30 minutes: leather and pear. This is really lovely, gender neutral I would say.

Conclusion: this is a comforting scent, and will be great to wear during the hot Summer months. Quincey is sunshine in the darkness that is the Autumn months.

Rating 1-5: on my skin this is a 5.

This is surprisingly feminine for a scent meant to embody the quintessential man's man of Dracula. Quincey Morris is the British Isles view of a man of the American west. A cowboy: Butch and Laconic, the man of action rather than words. This is rather the opposite of butch. One imagines the wearer lying limp on the fainting sofa from the ingestion of too much opium. This is a delicate cologne, smelling of pear and vanilla in the bottle, and faintly chemical on the skin. As it mellowed out, I began to imagine the leather, wood, and tobacco as perhaps the smell of the smoking room to which our dissolute young man has repaired to indulge his vice after a fine pear liqueur soaked dessert at the end of dinner. I know honey is not on the list, but I swear it smells like honey as it ages. Intriguing, most definitely and appealing to me, but I am baffled as to why they chose this scent for Quincey Morris, when there are enough dissolute young men written by and about Victorians. I am amused by the incongruity. As it begins to age, it becomes cleaner in scent, less dissolute and, well, purer smelling. One supposes Quincey Morris died a virgin, and I am guessing that it was this aspect they were trying to catch: the innocence and loneliness of his unrequited love. Certainly, I am intrigued by this scent, though I am not sure about it entirely, if that makes sense. It is strange and elusive, shifting constantly on the skin between the two young men. I know honey is not on the list, but I swear it smells like honey as it ages. This is also when the musk comes out to play. So it's like vanilla, honey dipped cat in heat. In retrospect, I am thinking the honey scent is a phantom created by the way the vanilla and musk interact. high end honey smells vaguely like musk to me.

I also get a sort of pear-y leather. There is a faint, elusive quality to the scent, maybe the musk, or the tobacco? The musk hardly comes out to play... and this is one of my favorite smells of all time. Oh Quincey, I wish you'd come back....

If I knew then what I know now, I sure would have stocked up on this. Almost all the leather scents of BPAL are great on me, and this is one of the best with its sweet, broken-in brown suediness that mixes so nicely with the pear. Makes me think that Quincey really had a heart under all that macho action! If it were this good, I woulda married him. I really should have bought more of this.

This smells exactly what the description says it is. I can pick out every single note. It's leathery, but very sweet at the same time. I think I will force give this to my boyfriend. It's a good manly scent, but still sweet enough to be feminine, too.

I love the combination of pear and leather! It seems relatively light for a leather scent, but the leather note does last all day and the cedar comes out a bit when it's fully dry. The tobacco, vanilla and musk are very subdued.

Am I the only one who thinks this smells just like Crayola Crayons? >_< It's not a bad smell, but I sniffed it, thought "Crayons!", took it to my 9yo brother who sniffed and announced, "It smells kind of like color crayons!" Hm...

I don't smell the leather at all, but I didn't grow up around leather (raised by vegetarians), so that might be why.

Backstory: I have been looking for Quincey Morris for awhile now. My fiance is fond of fruit scents, especially apple, pear, and citrus, but wants it to smell "masculine", whatever that means! :P So you can imagine that my mind went straight to the one and only "manly pear" scent I recall seeing around the BPALverse. I finally acquired some for him at the last M n' S. Well, Mr. Morris was worth the wait! A luscious vanilla-pear scent, but with clear hints of leather and woods underneath to "ground" it and make it more...uh, dudely (as in, worn by dudes). :D I love it on my fiance and will encourage him to wear it often (for the record, his other favorite is Usher...dudely citrus).

Quincy Morris was a tricky one for me - for hours it was sweet and cloying pear. Finally it settled down to some serious saddle leather, much more my style! It was still a light and interesting scent when all is said and done, but it took a while to get to that stage.

Imp: LEATHER! Lots of it. It smells like the leather scented air freshener gel beads that I bought to make my car at least SMELL like I shelled out money on leather, but they’re really fabric….whoops, tangent alert! The leather is sweet, and I can imagine a wee bit of vanilla under there.

Wet: Oh, yes, immediately, the sweeter notes come out. Delicious vanilla leather, I can’t really pick out the pear, but I can see how this would be getting some fruitiness from that. Also, the throw on this one is reminding me of the illustrated woman—maybe the evergreen, tobacco, vanilla combo?

Drying: As it dries, I feel like I get less and less leather, and more and more woodsy, musky, vanilla tobacco.

Dry: Oh, nevermind—leather is back, and in full force—sweet vanillic leather. Dry, it reminds me of tombstone + leather. It’s a really pleasant smell, but the leather note is also a dead ringer for the aforementioned car air freshener. Now, I love my car air freshener, but now the scent recalls driving, and I’m not sure I want to smell it all day… Later in the drydown (4 hrs or so), the musk and leather switch, and musk takes front seat. There's just a bit of warm leather around the edges. The effect is downy lovely musk, sweetened by the vanilla/pear, presumably, though I can’t specifically pick out either. Lasts over 8 hrs and has great throw.

Overall: I originally ordered this for my hubby. The scents that work best on him are generally the vanilla/foody/sweet man scents (think tombstone). So this sounded right up his alley. But on his skin, this goes straight to leather all the time and then fades very quickly. I wish it smelled on him like it does on me—I think we’d both like it a lot! I enjoy it on me, but I don't want my perfume to make me think of my car (even though they both smell fantastic!)

All leather, all the time. A dash of tobacco and cedar, and this is a truly divine scent. I detect no pear whatsoever.

Most folks would call it overly masculine, but since I spent several years working in a leather shop, this is your leathergirl being happy :P

i LOVE this scent more than any of the BPALs weve tried between us! after getting an imp i just had to get the bigger bottle for my husband which wasnt easy since its discontinued. but finally i got it and i drool everytime he wears it. :P

its all leather on my husband,not sharp whip kind of leather but soft brown cowboy leather. i never liked cowboys till i smelled this stuff.

This one was leather and citrus. Most of the time leather is a very dominant note on me, and it is in this blend, but it is definitely tempered by the other notes --- so the leather is softer, more wearable. Kinda like suede leather. It's got a slight fruity, slight woodsy overtone to it as it dries.

For the quintessential Butch guy that Quincey Morris is supposed to be, he's surprisingly cuddly.

In the bottle, clean and crisp - too clean, more like cleaning detergent than perfume. All cedar with a touch of pear. Blech. Applied to inner wrist, still strongly cedar but with a wash of vanilla and pear. No leather, no musk. My disappointment abounds. I had high hopes for this gentlemen. On dry down, still far too cleaner-ish for me, the cedar smells like bleach almost it is so pungently raw. I wanted to like this scent, I wanted to love this scent! Warm, the leather and musk slightly show up for a brief appearance before the cedar washes over them again in the die-down. This scent lasts only a few hours on my skin and - more distressingly - smells like I've been cleaning a dining room all day long. The tobacco never made it's tangy bitter appearance, the vanilla and pear were only hinted at on my skin, the musk and leather were and afterthought in the grand scheme of things, and the cedar - dear gods the cedar - ate my poor arm