Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Rough on the edges, but possessing the true essence of valor and nobility of spirit: tobacco, vanilla, white pear, cedar, rugged musk and saddle leather.

Sniffed: Leather and musk - with a hint of sweetness lurking below. Yes, my beloved Dead Man's Hand 'soft old leather' suede note.

Wet: Some lovely fresh pear (a la Juliet) and a little hint of tobacco, as well as more musk. But mostly tart, crispy, JUICY pear, leather, and musk. A strange but GLORIOUS combination. The leather is SUPER strong.

Dry: I swear I get a sort of cologney note, but I like cologney notes. It melds the pear and leather and musk really nicely. This does have a slightly dry edge from the cedar, which I could do without, but it's light enough that it doesn't bother me.

Later: After a while, more and more musk comes out along with some light, softly creamy-sweet vanilla. The pear, amazingly, holds, as does the old leather note. The tobacco does emerge a bit, but never very strongly or distinctly. Really sexy and a wrist-sniffer - my roommate was entranced, too.

Summary: Vanilla, pear, and sweet musk infused suedey-old leather with light hints of astringent tobacco and dry cedar. It sweetens up beautifully over time on my skin, and is absolutely gorgeous, complex, and unique. Decent throw and good longevity.

:wub2: Edited by Shollin

Got a tester of this in a recent order; thanks again, fairynymph! In the tester, I get leather, vanilla, pear, and musk, along with woods. On my skin, it's a combination of leather, pear, vanilla, and I think a woodsy musk. Hurm. We'll see how this actually turns out. Ends up being a musky, woodsy leather; not really for me.

Edited by Venneh

First sniff: This is pretty much straight leather. I get a tiny hint of fruit around the edges, but it can’t quite get through.

Wearing: The vanilla warms up and emerges more on my skin, but the leather is still a very strong presence.

Origin:

5mL bought on LJ.

Preconceived notions:

I'm not sure if I was on my BPAL hiatus when this came out or if I was just an idiot and didn't buy it. I can't imagine that I would have passed it up, though, so I must not have been around (especially since I don't have bottles of any of the other scents from the line, either). So anyway...when I finally read the notes in Quincy Morris, I had to have it.

I love tobacco, cedar, musk and the Lab's pear note (although I don't particularly love pear-scented things in general) and I like everything else. I've got high hopes for this one, although it's one of those scents I almost hope that I hate because it was so hard to track down even this one bottle and Quincy is expensive. :(

First sniff:

Soft, smooth leather, a touch of vanilla and pear. The combination is unusual to say the least. I never would have thought to put those three things together (the vanilla and pear, sure...maybe even the vanilla and leather), but they work. For me, it's a gender neutral scent. Most of it's leaning towards the masculine side, but the vanilla and pear soften it up. I like this!

Wet on skin:

Leather, vanilla, tobacco and pear with a bit of musk. I'm not smelling cedar here (although I would have welcomed it because it's one of my favorite notes), but it could be mixing with the leather.

Dry down:

Gorgeous. Seriously, this is amazing. As Quincy dries, the leather settles into the background and I get smooth tobacco, soft vanilla and juicy pear with an overlay of musk (not quite skin musk and definitely not one of the super manly, intense musks either...somewhat like Ivanushka, but not quite). It's a softer scent than you might think from the notes. Not light exactly, but worn-in smelling and comfortable.

The combination really works. It's unusual, but there's nothing that seems out of place here, either.

The bottom line:

I love Quincy Morris. There's nothing here that I would change. Everything melds together as the oil dries and the end result is more than the sum of its parts. It's musky and leathery, but it also has a soft sweetness from the vanilla and pear.

Definitely the sort of scent I would wear every day. I wish I had a few more bottles since I'm a slatherer and this is an instant favorite.

Leather, so realistic with the faintest hint of cedar. Very masculine. reminds me of the scent of a boot barn.

I get a bit whiff of the fruit notes right st the beginning, and the leather is quite prominent. On the drydown, this is beautiful, definitely a unisex scent. Well worn, soft leather, softened more by the vanilla, and a tense of smoke in the background. Lovely!

In my quest to sample as many of bpal's leather notes as possible a kind forumite (nathanielhebert) shared a tester of this with me, which was exciting because I've heard a lot about it! This is gorgeous. The leather note is beautiful, and straddles that bpal line of smelling exactly like real leather and my thinking "I see what you were trying to go for, but it's not quite working". It's kind of elegant and almost slightly floral, in a good way. There's a hint of sweetness (the vanilla, I'm assuming) but it never gets overpowering like vanilla usually gets on me. Sometimes I get hints of true to life pear, other times I get more of sharp lemony note, I have no idea where from (the cedar, maybe) Good staying power and medium throw. I really like this one, I'm glad I got to try it! :)