Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Calla Lily

Calla lily surprised me, because I didn't realize it would be so very different from stargazer lily - which is what I think of when I see "lily" in a description.

Instead of that classic lily scent, Calla Lily is sweeter and almost fruitily floral; much more like the delicate and unusual tone of orchid than what I was expecting. It's fantastic as a single note, and so luscious and clean that I'm going to buy a bottle for everyday wear.

Calla Lily is a very soft scent. As if it's wafting by on a breeze. This is not the heady scent of a star gazer Lily (like jj_j mentioned) it's a very fresh, light, clean lily scent that is barely there. I'm so happy that I was able to try an imp of this!

This is not your average lily! It is light and sweet with a drydown that is nearly fruity. Very interesting... I don't really recognize it from any of the blends, but it could be one of those indescribable notes that I've never been able to identify!

In contrast to what others have said, Calla Lily is actually sharper than most lilies I've smelled. This smells like something I've smelled in a commercial perfume, but I can't put my finger on which one. Later on, I recognize it as something in some aquatic blends I've tried...or maybe I'm thinking of the lilies in Ulalume. Overall, it's kind of a generic floral, but has a distinct scent.

Via the single note swap circle.

Calla Lily is one of the notes that strikes me as seeming "commercial." It's so sweet, exotic and alcoholic, for lack of a better term, that it strikes me immediately as a scent I might buy in a department store. It's gorgeous, and I don't hold its "commercial" nature against it alone, though I sometimes might in blends. It's beautifully sweet and clean--another that, as a non-floral lover, I still find gorgeous. It's also strong enough to stick around, it seems. I don't find it that light, but I do recognize it from something else.

Arrgh. And this note is in something I used to wear regularly, too. That's going to drive me bonkers. Estee Lauder's Pleasures, perhaps? Or Polo Sport Woman or Tommy Girl? This is totally by memory: I have none of the above to compare to, but I'm just remembering the scents I used to wear in the era in which I was more familiar with this note.

You could easily, easily wear this as a fragrance unto itself. It's complex enough to carry, unlike some of the other single notes (but not all!).

I have some psycho half imp of this that just keeps depositing more oil on my fingertips than on my arm, with that digression over, on to the reviewing. It is a bit sharp with a very fruity overtone to the floral. As it dries, it fades FAST. I've applied this twice in less than 20 minutes and I can barely smell this at all. What I can smell smells a bit like a light soft floral fabric softener.

This is one of the few singlenotes that really hasn't worked on me at all. It's light, soapy, and perfumey... reminds me of dryer sheets. It disappears within an hour, and I'm kind of glad for that fact. It's exactly the sort of floral that would give me a migraine if it were stronger. I wish that this had the fruitier edge that other reviewers have mentioned, but on me it was just soapy.

First sniff: Almost without exception, lilies are strong and soapy to my nose, and this one is the same. Big white fleshy petals and a strong soapy floral scent.

Wearing: It’s more of a clean scent on me, rather than soapy, which is a pleasant surprise. Fades very quickly, but it’s nice.

at first: wet, pungent lily.

on: a sharp, wet lily.

1 hour later: soft and dusty.

2 hours later: very light and soapy.

overall: this fades pretty fast on me. i'm not sure about this one.

In bottle: Clean. Soapy clean. Like a slightly bitter freesia.

On me: I didn't really recognize it as a lily - if I were guessing out of the blue, I would have pinned this as orchid or some other white floral - but never a lily. On the skin the bitterness is even more apparent, making this into a sharp white floral with a rather manly edge, if you ask me.

Calla Lily started out with a fruity overtone, but it's dried down very dry and fresh. Honestly, it's a bit dryer-sheet-y on me - I think this might explain why some 'lily' scents work on me and others don't.

In the imp, smells like lily scented white wine to me. This reminds me of champagne scented blends. On me: fresh cut flower + soda, but not in a sugary way. Drying, it goes slightly greener, like the stem is involved. I don't actually know what a real calla lily smells like, but I could well imagine this is it. It smells very fresh and real. Dry it's a fairly light floral. Nice, not soapy as lilies are rumored to be, but very light. I liked it better, alot better, in the imp, sadly.

Edited by Muppetk

Calla Lily is my favorite of all the floral single notes I've tried so far. It's a sweet, fresh and clean floral. After about an hour on my skin, it also seems just the slightest bit soft and powdery. I'm really surprised by the scent -- while I have little problem identifying calla lily in BPAL blends, I had no idea how gorgeous this note would be on its own. It's one I will easily wear by itself. It sticks fairly close to my skin, but the scent lasts for hours. I wish I had more than my one little imp. It's really stunning.

CALLA LILY

In Bottle: White floral

On Skin: This is a gorgeous lily. Wow! It is the definition of elegant, so proud and captivating. This to me is the best lily scent yet. In the bottle it is a little sharp, but the moment it hits my skin in blends with my chemistry into a soft sweet creamy white floral. There still is a sharp note, but it isn’t sour, it’s sexy and very perfumey. I would love to see this scent become a general catolog scent since it seems to be a perfect perfume on it’s own. Very feminine and catching, this scent makes a statement. Light to medium throw, and like most single notes it’s wearlength on me is fairly short.

BPAL's Calla Lily blend is very different from the Stargazer note. It's slightly waxier, sweeter and soapier. It's not as 'green fresh' and reminds me more to Irish Spring but in lily form. Much more of a commercial scent to me. Fresh, powerful, clean.