Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
misspissed

Ultraviolet

Electrifying, mechanized and chilly -- the scent of crushed blooms strewn on cold metal. Lush violet and neroli spiked hard with eucalyptus and a sliver of mint.

i knew it-- eucalyptus

it smells like my cat's shampoo and eucalyptus is a natural deterrent for fleas.

joy...

not wearing this one. Edited by magikalbrownies

Ultraviolet

In the Imp: Ooooh! This smells like astringent...metallic clean with a medicinal quality. If I'd have been scheduled for "a procedure" at the time I'd opened this imp, it would have made me apprehensive.

Wet: Searing Eucalyptus with a subtle floral...I could tell that drydown was going to be important with this scent, so I didn't panic...

Dry: I really like violet in general, and this is def. violet at this point. The eucalyptus began to fade into the background, but didn't disappear, so it had a really nice edge to it. Really different, unexpected.

Time Lapse 1 hour: violet with eucalyptus as a backup singer...I'm hopeful, cuz so far, this scent has the best throw yet for me....

Time Lapse 2 hour: sigh...barely there, but still there! The longest staying scent for me so far, and I like it, so there's bonus points for stamina given here!

Verdict: If you can make it to drydown, this is a captivating fragrance...although it might scare the cats a little.

In bottle: Sinus-clearing eucalyptus and sweetness. An odd blend. The violet sweetness and the mint make me think of a candy cane, but then there’s that eucalyptus blast alongside it. Like a candy cane lying on a stainless steel operating table.

On me, wet: Pretty neat! Candy cane and greenness. I do get the “chilliness” mentioned in the description, but not so much the mechanization – to me, this is organic, almost herbal. A cleanly therapeutic, energizing, benevolent scent.

On me, drying: The smell gets fainter and the boldness of the eucalyptus dies down. My wrist now smells sweetly minty, with a little bit of crisp green leaf scent.

Verdict: Win! If I had to make a complaint, it would be that this doesn’t last long on me. But it dries down without losing the bulk of its pleasantness, which is looking more and more like a miracle.

Later: May have spoken too soon. It’s going kind of baby-powdery now.

This is one of those that the throw is entirely different from what I smell on my skin,..the throw is a sweet mint, almost tea-like sweet... I'm thinking its the wintergreen and violet

but close to the skin its bitter.. like bpals eucalyptus always is on me.

I like this though theres something disarming about it that I cant quite figure out.

he drydown... is QUITE amazing... everything blends together in perfect zinging harmony!

Inside the imp STRONG eucalyptus. :ack:

On my skin, this smells more like medicine than perfume.

Heavy eucalyptus and harsh mint herbal blend.

In the imp I can smell a mixture of the mint and violet with a bit of eucalyptus in the background. It smells sharp and lovely, definately electrifying! When on the mint comes out to pinch my nose and make my mouth water. Strange! The eucalyptus is making a slight appearance but I can smell the violet in the background. This smells more like a herb garden than a perfume, hehe!

Is anyone else getting a tingle on their wrist from the mint? I've just scrubbed off my last imp test so that might be why!

It's got a nice throw, like a mixture of soft mints and parma violets. Yummy! I'm liking this more and more. I hope it stays this way then I may have to invest in a bottle. It reminds me of the Raven, just sharper due to the mint.

When dry the parma violet throw is there, but not upclose, that is reserved for the mint and eucalyptus. This is an odd scent but I do quite like it, although I wish my mouth would stop watering!

For being heavy on the mint, this is actually not gross on me. It's more like spearmint leaf than the usual powdery, rubbery toothpaste skin chemistry disaster. This and Envy are the only mint scents that have ever been okay.

Reeaally shivery, cold scent in every way imaginable. If cyborg ice women wore perfume, they would wear Ultraviolet. Soaring, silvery metallic notes, the not-gross-spearmint, and lots of eucalyptus with only a slight floral influence from the violet. It's a pale, frost encrusted violet and it can't quite break through the other notes.

I've been really wanting a scent with significant eucalyptus, so this one's a keeper. I can see how it could be interpreted as medicinal, but it's not bitter or astringent on me... it's extremely calming. I think I might keep an imp of this at work for stressful days....

Edited by Aldercy

This is one of the frimps i got with my first order...

In the vial, wow! Mint! I'm getting more mint and eucalyptus than anything. I can barely make out the neroli and can't find the violet at all.

Wet on my skin, all I can think of is toothpaste or mouthwash. The mint used is probably wintergreen. Colorwise, I'm getting blue neon.

10-15 minute dry-down - Ok, there's the violet. Reminds me of violet candy and dinner mints, now. The eucalyptus is still there as a very clean, almost mediciney note. Very odd combination, I think.

1 hour dry-down - Ugh. Now it's all violet and neroli, with a little hint of mint. In other words, it's shampoo and toothpaste. Way too flowery for me.

2 hour dry-down - Now it just smells like a hothouse gone crazy. Violets and bitter orange overgrowing everything!!! Yuck. I do NOT like this one.

Omg, this smells just like fresh cat litter on me as well! No dice. :(

I like mint and eucalyptis. I'm not opposed to flowers. Since Mad Hatter (mint/floral) is a favorite of mine I was excited to try this.

In the imp it smells like amonia to me.

A dab on the wrist and it smells like, well, not fresh cat litter.

I'm pretty surprised, all the lovely reviews.... oh well.

Chilly and medicinal and electric. I'm assuming the dry, powdery, vaguely floral note is the violet; the rest is just straight-up eucalyptus, no mint whatsoever. It's a clean, cold scent. It reminds me of the way the air feels on those biting cold winter days when the sky is a clear, chilly blue and everything is iced over. I don't know that I like it, exactly, but it's certainly interesting.

Oh god. Oh no. No.

I hate the smell of pine and, although not in the description, that is the overwhelming scent I'm getting. Eucalyptus, is that you? Either way, it's unbearable. No thank you .

Oh my goodness. This scent!

In the imp (which I recieved from the Lab in my last order) it smells like violets and mint and eucalyptus, literally. Now figuratively, I am getting the image of fresh cut violets covered in a delightful frost. It is sweet and crisp, but lovely and fresh/green at the same time. I'm liking it so far.

On my skin it stays the same. It really truly does. The only thing that changes over time is the mint and eucalyptus get softer and softer, but this happens extremely gradually. The minty coolness never really goes away though. Seeing as this scent doesn't change much on me, I don't have much else to say haha.

I do however love it. Minty violets? What isn't to love? I like to wear this on days when I was to feel crisp and fresh. Beautiful blend and I will be getting a bottle eventually. :D

In the imp: Eucalyptus.

Wet: Halls cough drops - the eucalyptus ones.

Dry: Minty eucalyptus... but I can tell that this is busy morphing...

A while later: There is something almost metallic to this. It smells like cold silver metal... and violets. Man... I could see GlaDOS wearing this scent - cold, clinical and just that something random - innocent yet terrifying.

Heavy mint (and mint like things) makes me queasy :sick:

I tried in on my skin because I like violet and in the imp I could pick up some of the violet and the feel of Violet Ray. The throw is nice-- a true mix of biting mints and sugared violets. I just can't rock this is all!

I'm not sure I would have tried this on my own, but it came with my most recent order and today I figured, "What the hell."

It's sharp. Sharp, clean, and crisp. I don't tend to like very floral scents, and thankfully this isn't floral floral floral. I get the violet, yeah, but the eucalyptus blends with it nicely and the mint gives it a nice hard edge. It's just sweet enough not to be angry. It's kind of soft after a few minutes on me, but still noticeable.

All in all, I think I like it a lot.

I was excited to see neroli listed as a note, but it's not there at all. In the bottle, this smelled so strongly of eucalyptus that I almost gagged. It reminded me of cold medicine and being sick. I actually tried wearing it on a day my sinuses were acting up in the hopes it would clear them, but was surprised to find that the eucalyptus faded almost entirely within 15 minutes. From that point on, it smelled only of violets, and reminded me very strongly of Lush's Bathos scent. My boyfriend said it smelled like old lady perfume, and I'd have to agree. I don't like it, but fans of Bathos probably would.

Free imp from the Lab -

In the bottle, I got lavender, which I suppose is chromatically appropriate. Once this hit my skin it was pure mint from the eucalyptus. Strong, strong, mint. Like chewing gum but without the sweetness, sadly, as this could use some sweetness. On drydown, the mint mellows and something powdery comes out - maybe the flowers? - combined with a grassy note. The effect, is indeed, metallic. Interesting to catch a whiff of, but not pleasant to be inhaled with each breath.

Overall opinion: This, too, will be passed on. At least now I know to stay away from mint/eucalyptus and metal!

In the bottle: Mouthwash/Listerine. I was almost too scared to put it on o_o

Wet on my skin: Still that chemical mint scent with a hint of violet in the back ground. And is that pollen I'm smelling? :o There's a note in there that smells just like a freshly-picked pollen-y flower.

Drydown: Mint, mint, mint. Not a pleasant mint but a harsh mint but not quite chemical anymore.

1 hour later: The mint is gone. And I'm left with violets that don't agree with my chemistry at all.

Overall: I picked this scent mainly for the mint note. Unfortunately, the mint note disappears quickly and I'm left with a floral. Not a scent I enjoy or will wear again. Swap pile ^_^

I really, really wanted to love this one. It was one of the first ones to catch my eye when I was introduced to the BPAL website. I wrote it down on my wishlist and then eventually ordered an imp to satiate my curiosity. In the imp it is pure eucalyptus to me and wet on the wrist it remains the same. I was hoping for the blend to evoke a mental image of bright, beautiful ultraviolet light but it doesn't... dry, the eucalyptus fades to a subtle background night and the violet lifts with a sweet, overpowering WHOOSH! I do love violet, I must say that. It's a precious, gentle and spiritual scent that I would love to own as a single note, if only the essential oil were not so pricey. As it is, the violet in this blend is so sweet that it makes me feel a little sick. So disappointed :(

Wet: eucalyptus, mint, hint of floral

Transition: much the same as wet

Dry: the floral turns a little soapy but not in a harsh way, eucalyptus is a little less strong, the mint is strongest

Verdict: It's a refreshing sort of scent but not really my thing. I wonder if it wouldn't be a more pleasant alternative to Vick's Vapor Rub when sick?

Edited by FelicityTwitchell

Finaly, violet that I can wear and doesn't turn to soap! :D

This is going to be my summer scent for this year, I love the strong eucalyptus in this and the combination of neroli and violet that somehow does not turn to soap after 15 minutes, instead it feels refreshing and chilly. The only problem with this is that the minty notes fade away after hour or two, but since it's hot in summer, it doesn't really matter, every perfume goes away quickly anyway.

Edited by milica

WOW, here's one for your sinuses! I'd never wear this as a perfume, but I actually think I might keep around the imp to use in times of stress and/or headaches. It's mostly all mint on me, but I can sometimes catch a floral whiff in the background.

Ultraviolet:

Very eucalyptus/minty astringent in the imp! On my skin, it is astringent and cooling. At first I get a bit of ammonia-like burning in my nose when I smell it, but that does back off within a couple minutes. Still, this reminds me of a certain household cleaner (Mrs. Meyer's Basil scent, though it really doesn't smell like basil.) It's really hot out currently, and the coolness is refreshing. For me, violet usually either goes one of two ways - I can't smell it at all, or it smells like some chemical paint thinner horribleness. In this blend, it seems to be the former -- I'm mainly just getting mint/eucalyptus. If anything, the violet is adding to the household cleaner vibe. I think I'd be more likely to seek out the mint/eucalyptus in a blend with no violet.

I was a bit hesitant to try this one, since I wasn't sure how it'd work on me. I was right to be hesitant.

In the imp, this is very, very strong eucalyptus, with a bit of mint and the tiniest hint of violet. The violet was barely perceptible. I was hoping it'd tone down once I got it on, but alas. It didn't. It smelled like dog shampoo. Which is all well and good for a dog, but not so great for me. I mean, yeah, I have a eucalyptus shampoo, but it's not this..harsh. I don't know. I just really didn't dig it.

I'll gladly take Violet Ray over Ultraviolet for my violet scent of choice.

Edited by plainjean

For a brief second, this is all mint, and then it quickly blooms into WOW, eucalyptus! There's a quiet floral sweetness behind it, but it's a good while before the violet is fully evident. It's kind of like...sitting under a eucalyptus tree as a stiff breeze rustles the branches, hinting at the garden beyond. Very cool and eucalyptus-green, with a hint of dampness. When the violet finally comes out, it's a halo around the eucalyptus, like a violet pastille, slightly chalky as it melts on your tongue.