BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
quinkel

Taurus

TAURUS

April 20 - May 20

oakmoss / rose

sandalwood / ylang ylang

A perfect blend! There is not realy a prominent note. As a late Taurus (20th of May) it is a scent that captures what I like in general. Heavy herby/floral with a good amount of lasting power!

The scents is a bit in the line of High John and Come to Me.

Taurus for me is predominantly oakmoss and rose, with a tiny touch of sandalwood and ylangylang softening things out underneath.

To my nose, it is a very /English/ scent, reminding me of taking summer walks down country lanes and catching whiffs of garden roses and nearby woods and hedgerows.

It's more gentle and delicate than I expected. The bovine equivalent would be a delicate white cow being garlanded with flowers, rather than a big macho bull in a muddy field :P

Two reviews? ONLY TWO REVIEWS??????????? Hmmm, maybe it is SO unpopular that the lab has a few extra 5 MLs sitting around even though it's been discontinued ...

I ordered this based on the notes, knowing I LOVE ylang-ylang and sandalwood and usually like rose when it is combined with notes I love ... I had no idea what to expect from oakmoss.

IN THE BOTTLE: It was so glorious I almost dropped the damn thing. I am absolutely transported. What did I do wrong, oh lord, to have two scents I have fallen in love with on this last order and both are discontinued (this and Scorpio)???

I exuberantly daubed on wrists, crooks of arms, behind ears and in cleavage.

WET: This is the most lovely lovely lovely floral. I'm thinking the ylang-ylang is what sets it apart for me, even though it is apparently a minor note. The rose is there but it's a sweet, light, spring garden rose as opposed to, say, a Spellbound rose (which I like too).

EARLY DRYDOWN: I am just dancing around like a ballerina, light on my feet and in love with this. I have only one kind of weirdness in the drydown scent ... there is something a little odd and slightly foody that I can't quite place my finger on but it might also be remnant of an earlier scent. Or maybe it's drydown of oakmoss???

This is just a marvelous spring floral. Glorious. How utterly devastating that it is gone ...

In the bottle: God, I worry about all the moss scents. Oh well, here goes. Mmmm, actaully that smells pretty good. It has rose, sandalwood and ylang ylang in common with Libra, which I love. The deciding note will be the oakmoss. Right now I smell sandalwood and rose. Yummy yum.

Wet: Very much sandalwood, but I can detect the moss in there as well. Come on, roses, show yourselves. Mmmm, there you are. That's nice. Roses and sandalwood work pretty well on my skin. Mostly sandalwood still, though, which I really don't mind at all. Hmmm, is that the ylang ylang? It's a floral, but it has a different character than my rose.

Dry down: Sandalwood. The florals have kinda gone into hiding on my skin for some reason leaving me all sandalwoody. I'm sometimes allergic to it, but it's working all right for me in this blend. More of the moss is rising up, which I'm not happy about. Perhaps this would be a good room scent. I'm wondering if the floral might stay a bit truer that way. Sandalwood with some moss and no hint of a floral.

Dry: Sandalwood with some more rose and ylang ylang. This reminds me of a less complex version of Libra. I might wear this when I ant to feel a little more grounded, and I'll enjoy using the imp. In the long run, though, I doubt this will trump my love for my star sign oil. A nice incense smell backed by more lovely florals.

at first: earthy, but floral. very nice.

on: this is pretty. definitely earthy and floral. sensual.

half an hour later: i'm not too fond of the sandalwood that's coming out, but i like the other notes.

1.5 hours later: still a nice blend of the four components.

2.5 hours later: i really like this. it's still got that nice balance between earthy and floral

overall: this isn't really "me", but i like it.

In bottle: Oakmoss, sandalwood, and rose? This is a mix of scents; they are not blended together but each note is singular and distinct. Of the four included in the description, I can pick each note out quite easily. Even the ylang ylang.

On me: It's nothing spectacular; as I said before the notes don't really 'blend' for me and I'm not especially interested in them as singular notes. I don't know if they are easily detected because I am more familiar with these notes, but I find this blend indistinctive and will definitely swap it on to someone who will like it better.

In the bottle: Rose, ylang ylang, and a hint of moss.

First on: Rose tempered with oakmoss, a bit of smokyness from the sandalwood, and some sweetness from the ylang ylang.

Drydown: The ylang ylang doesn't like me, as it's turning slightly sour. Other than that it's exactly like above, and reminds me of Ouija.

Bottle (Imp): Hint of spice, maybe musk.

Just On: A little spicy, smooth, a touch herby.

An hour or two later: Smooth, perhaps some wood.

Around 6 hours: Faint wood and something else I can't quite place.

12 hours: It went bye bye.

Overall: This is a pretty nice scent all in all. Not necessarily my type, but I can live with that.

After reading other reviews: I certainly didn't get the rose out of this one. It seems pretty well blended to me.

Woo, I'm closing in on reviewing all of the Celestials now! :P

I am very interested in the Earth signs but whereas my beloved Capricorn is the absolutely epitome of all that is brown and wooden and earthy, Taurus is a calm day in a flowering meadow. Aaaaaaand...there's that rose note that gives me a headache! Ah, they don't always do that but there's one in particular that does. It's sort of a powdery high-pitched floral at first and mellows down a little.

Normally, ylang ylang is a harsh chemical nail polish smell to me unless it's tempered with wood...and in this case I think thatthe sandalwood must be keeping it at bay because I don't smell ylang ylang at all. I'm reminded a little of Rose Cross actually, which also gives me a headache. The soft woods come out much more as this dries, and the heady rose takes a back seat.

If you're just looking for a scent that is like Taurus, Rose Cross might do the job. I think this represents the sign well but it's a very feminine floral to me, so male Taurans might want to go for Capricorn instead. :D

In the bottle

Oh my.

This is beautiful. Light rose, and soft sandalwood.

On

Oh for the love of God this is so pretty.

It's lightly earthy, ever so slightly sweet, wafting, wispy sandalwood. even though it's somewhat earthy everything about this blend says "soft".

30 minutes

Doesn't change much...maybe the oakmoss steps to the foregound just a bit more so that it's a dark green mossy earthiness but still very light, with the pretty rose and the calming airy sandalwood (rose never works on me but this is so perfect).

Throw:

average

Scent category:

Floral/Incense/Earthy

Summary

Light powdery rose, subtley earthy, slightly incensey and wispy sweet.

Lighter than air.

Purchase again?

Yes. Non-critical organ donations spring to mind.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

First sniff: Ooh. I like this one. Earthy green roses.

Wearing: The rose gets softer and sweeter on my skin, and the greenness of the oakmoss keeps it reined in. I always love finding rose scents I can wear, and oakmoss seems to like me. Good all around.

A soft, lovely woody-floral, the sandalwood manages to soften the wine-y rose into managability. Very old-fashioned smelling--I can imagine this scenting a classic country cottage.

I am a Taurus, so yay for finally getting a decant of this one. Even though I usually hate Taurus themed scents.

First on, this is rose and something green and musty in the background. Very earthy with a slightly sharp rose layered over it.

After a few minutes the ylang ylang starts to come out, along with some sandalwood. Sadly, the ylang ylang is turning odd and metallic on my skin (I hate when it does this). This reminds me quite a bit of Wanton as the rose sweetens up and the sandalwood gets stronger. Wanton with a metallic twang.

In an hour the rose has gone very powdery on me. Baby powder, sandalwood, and metallic ylang ylang. It gets more powdery over the next hour before fading away into oblivion.

I'm happy to have tried this, but it's already getting packaged up to move on to its new home. It just doesn't work on my skin :P

I was hoping for oakmoss, ylang ylang, and sandalwood, but unfortunately, the rose took over and over powered everything. WHY does rose take over everything on me?

Rating (on skin): 1/5

Summarised in a word or two: Rose.

Preconceived notions: It's a blend based on Taurus, so I'm expecting something earthy. Hopefully not dirty.

In the imp: Sandalwood, oakmoss and... motherf*cking rose. Yick.

On skin, wet: Rose and ylang ylang -- two of my most hated of notes. There's a bit of oakmoss, but already the rose is asserting dominance.

On skin, dry: True to form, however, the rose puts on its stompin' boots and crushes the ylang ylang and the wee bit of oakmoss to dust. Dusty rose.

Conclusion: I'm a Taurus, so I've wanted to try this for ages. For some reason, I conveniently ignored the mention of rose and ylang ylang in previous reviews while hunting this down. If I could get over my deep hatred for rose (overpower-er of all and ruiner of perfectly good blends), I'd probably like it, if not love it. As it is... not my cup of tea as a scent.

Taurus - This is such a perfect Taurus scent! It's so earthy and grounded, practical and resolute. The scent is predominantly sandalwood with a hint of oakmoss and the slightest touch of rose. It's a very classic-smelling blend and while it's not going to win any awards for originality and creativity, it's one of those blends that would be a reliably perfect scent for all places and situations. It’s really fantastic and if Beth ever did a special limited edition run of the astrological blends (hint, hint!), I'd buy a bottle of this one. I would probably buy two, actually, and give one to my husband, who is Taurean to the bone and as long as the rose would stay subdued, he would smell wonderful wearing this blend. The throw is light and the staying power is about average.

In the bottle: Oakmoss over forward motion. Inertia and a hint of floral.

On me: PLUMERIA!!!!!!!! Yes, really with that many exclamation points. We're talking incredibly exclamatory cloying-dripping-nectar plumeria. Or possibly freesia. Something I love in the garden, but gives me a headache to wear. After a few hours, it stopped screaming so loudly and levelled off into a deep and soft floral.

In the Imp: Oakmoss, rose and ylang ylang. The ylang ylang is actually pretty strong here, but the rose is stronger. It's funny, my middle name is Rose (and I'm a taurus of course)

Wet: I agree with someone above, that this definitely smells like plumeria

Dry: VERY strong floral, and very "traditional" smelling to me. The oakmoss is definitely present too though. I'm not get a specific sandalwood note really. This is way too stinky floral for me :sick:

Strongly floral - definitely ylang ylang and sandalwood. I really enjoy the sandalwood note, and I think sandalwood is one that ages really well. It's very smooth, clean and slightly woody. No powderiness.

However ylang ylang seems to be stabbing my nose. On wet, I got a hint of the rose, but it's basically gone now.