Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Rhododendron and bellflower petals swirl through deep, cool, dark aquatic notes.

I smell like rain. Or to be more precise, flowers in the rain.

And it's STRONG.

So pretty.

Wet - grapefruit and cold water

Dry - this one smells like Springtime - a watery pastel. This is what my mind thinks hydrangeas should smell like. Eventhough the silly flowers don't smell like anything. This is how I WANT them to smell.

Danube-

in imp: floral, soapy

on skin: fresh florals, lighter than in the vial. Still vaguely soapy though. Pleasant enough, but not really me. Vaguely reminiscent of Bath and Body Works Cotton Flower soap. To the swap pile.

In the bottle: Ooh, pretty ozoney florals! I immediately get images of deep blue water!

Wet: For a moment it smells a bit like an ozony toilet deodoriser, very citrusy over florals.

Drydown: Oh yes, flowers, full woods of sweet-smelling flowers and the very green and undescribable scent of rhododendrons. It still veers into toilet deodoriser land every now and then, until the sharpest part of the ozone is gone. It's lovely and moist, too.

Hrm - maybe I shall have to have another try at this one!

"Yeeeuch, that smells like toilet block!" was the boy's response on having the imp wafted under his bottle - and yes, to me, when I put it on, it was similarly pungent rather than pleasantly perfumed...but maybe I just need to have more patience with it, rather than washing it off a few minutes in.

Other than the overpowering _blue_ toilet cleaner/ozoney-disinfectant smell, about all I could catch was a whiff of lemony-citrus, and, oddly, a weirdly metallic smell - not the 'red' scent that iron and copper taste of, more like a silver or steel grey-blue sort of smell. (No, I wasn't licking my wrist, it's just one of those really odd smell sensations that make more sense in colour & taste)

Certainly a synaesthesia-tastic scent, but I'm not sure it's 'me'!

Frimped with this, thanks zillah37!

In the imp, it smells strongly of sweet rain. A lot like Sea of Glass smelled to me in imp.

Wet, it smells like a generic body wash. Kind of interestingly clean, a bit soapy.

Drying down, about fifteen minutes later, it's turning floral with green bits to it. I keep thinking of bright green leaves torn in half. Hints of the first aquatic bits keep appearing. It's not as strong on my scent-eating skin as everyone else indicates, but it's still very pretty, and very unique, even if it doesn't suit my personality.

Dad says, "Oh, this is good. There's certainly a floral note in there." Mom was on the phone, but gave a big thumbs up.

This smells like sweet flowers, but more like some that have been sitting and rotting in a vase. Sad. I don't know why I bother with florals.

*hums the Danube Waltz in her head*

I don't have much to add to the other reviews; all I can say is Danube is certainly a floral aquatic. This is what I imagined Bayou would smell like- flowers that have been soaking in a river on a hot, humid day. I really like this one and it has *great* staying power. I put a little of it on almost 12 hours ago and I can still smell it, even though I have a cold! :P

My favorite aquatic so far, I really like the salty/lemon/citrus squeeze smell I get when I first put it on. There's almost a bitter twinge there, like grapefruit. Then it mellows to a "blue" aquatic smell with lily undertones (bellflower?). It seems to disappear a bit fast on my skin, but all aquatics and citrus fruits do that.

In bottle: Clean, watery florals, not soapy at all though, grapefruit. Glassy.

Wet and drying down: I smell like lily of the valley soap or lotion. Very clean and feminine. I'm thinking of a Victorian bathroom, with worn tiles on the floor, an old beveled mirror above the sink, a claw foot tub, and ambiant light coming through a wavy glass window.

Is this an aquatic floral that's working on me? What the hell is going on?

Dry: This is watery, clean, and old fashioned feminine. I can't help but think of a Gunne Sax Edwardian style dress I have when I smell this. I wouldn't wear this everyday, but I need some of this around.

in vial: A field of flowers and a sharpness I first thought was citrus, but is definitely the aquatics. It's a lovely aquatic though, even for someone who isn't normally a fan.

wet: definitely something citrusy appearing on my skin, keeping the florals from being too cloying. Very nice balance! A saltiness is also present.

drydown: this gets somewhat fruity on me, which is probably the aquatics. The florals keep it all balanced. I don't get dark from this at all, it's very light and breezy, and there's definitely a bit of lime peel in here somewhere.

An hour later: the fruitiness is gone, and the aquatic notes and florals are taking over. It's gone a bit soapy unfortunately, but not ecessively so.

Edited by phedre

Someone upthread said it smells like "flowers in the rain," and I think they're right, though it didn't occur to me until I read it.

* First Sniff: Smells like perfume. How very specific, I know, sorry. :->

* On: Volatilizes quite a lot, and ... changes, becoming more floral? Something.

* Dry: It's become a wonderfully rich and quiet/subtle old-fashioned floral perfume -- the kind that isn't rosewater. My great-grandma (who was a florist) used to wear things that smelt like this. Greeny, pleasant. Maybe that's the rhododendron? It's been a long time since I sniffed a real rhodie flower.

* Long-Term: Remains subtle, with not much throw. A perfume just for me, not for the whole room.

Watery indeed. Watery florals. It is kind of melancholic. Blue. It goes a little soapy as it dries down, though. It is pretty and evocative, but, I just don't think aquatics are very me, although I love water and rivers *shrug*

As it dries down, the flowers seem to be more apparent. This one is overcast, dark blue, and a bit sluggish. A big river alright!

First applied, Danube gives me a shock: not only doesn’t it seem like its description, but it does seem like another scent’s description entirely. It reminds me instantly and intensely of tulips and cut grass, to the point where I wonder if I have Amsterdam instead.

Fortunately for my confidence, the effect doesn’t last more than thirty seconds or so. (After the cut grass effect faded, I took a moment to smell the wand again, and the wand still smells like cut grass. How bizarre!) What circles up next is no less attractive, though, because a wash of low, lovely aquatic notes ripples through the smell. The floral remains convincing through all of this, even as it metamorphoses from one to another.

Danube is is the first aquatic I’ve really liked. Instead of overwhelming me with a salty aquaticness, it carries a scent like a freshwater river covered in flower petals. The effect is downright gorgeous. The throw is present, yet subtle, and refreshing in its grace.

I’m not confident that I will wear this often, but I can see it as a scent for a late summer night, something cool and liquid in the steamy evenings. Really, this is gorgeous. I recommend it as the aquatic for people who don’t like aquatics.

I just got Danube as one of my latest frimps, and I put some on the other night to relax with my fiance and watch a couple of movies, as it smelled kind of calm, light, and flowery in the imp to me, and those are his favorites.

It's actually a really pretty scent, and he just loved it, but there's something about it I'm not sure I like and I can't put my finger on it at all. One of the flowers in it is almost too sweet for me, which I never thought I'd hear myself say, and I'm almost wondering if I have bad personal associations with that particular note... whatever it is... that I don't recall, because my dislike of it almost feels like that as opposed to something really not working on my skin. I may have to give it another try some other time though, as I'm getting over a sinus infection right now, and that's probably not the best time to try something new.

Although this is nice, and I think I could grow to like it enough for my boyfriend's sake to finish the imp, I don't see myself bottling this at all. I have other similar scents that work much better on me, and give off that "cool" aquatic feeling but without that odd mystery note that puts me off in this one.

It's a very wet, greenish blue scent. It's sweet, floral and a little bit soapy. The soap kind of takes over though. oh well.

I'm not really sure what rhododendron or bellflower smell like, but one or both of them must be kind of a heady perfumey floral note because that's what I smell here. The aquatic note isn't light or sweet, it seems dark and murky. There's also something powdery in here that's making this smell like an old-fashioned perfume to me.

I have trouble with aquatic scents in general, so I'm not very surprised that Danube doesn't seem to work for me.

This scent is very blue! I don't get that a lot, but blue it is. It's an aquatic that stays watery on my skin - usually aquatics go completely sharp and nasty, but this one stays cool and wet and blue. The florals are deeper and more...*real* than many florals I've encountered - they remind me of flowers in springtime, when you sniff them really deeply. I like this a lot.

In the vial:

watery floral

On me:

Blue is definitely a great way to describe this scent! Even though it's a blue, watery scent it's very citrusy on me! I would say grapefruit - or probably yuzu as it's a very zesty, almost bitter citrus note. The aquatic is very calm and less ozoney than most other aquatics I've tried. The florals are soft and breezey and compliment that citrus very well.

Final note:

A bright, feminine blend with sharp citrus, but flowing notes. I wish I liked aquatic florals more because this is really very pretty and I love the citrus note!

Edited by Brianne

Of all the aquatics I've tried, this is my favorite. I wish I hadn't waited so long to try it out!

It is as other have said, deep blue. Swirling blue aquatic river water running by a bank full of springtime flowers. Fresh but slightly dark, yet not the murky green damp smell of Bayou. Love it.

Man what a great frimp from the Lab--thanks, guys!

In the imp: Strong and sharp; I can discern some floral, but I'm more bowled over by the aquatic sense.

Wet: There is an initial blast of aquatic, but then there are these wonderful flowers...flowers lightly dusted with rain by the river. This is really nice and evocative of spring.

Drydown and wear: This doesn't morph that much. Perhaps the florals become stronger, but not by a lot. This is really a lovely, lovely blend, and the result is very much akin to a single note Lilac oil that I have (not by BPAL). Just fabulous. I adore this.

Wow, this is absolutely glorious, like a deep turquise pool surrounded by the loveliest wildflowers and the purest white lotest (no lotus here, but that's just part of the imagery). I love what the lab does with aquatics and this is certainly no exception - it'll be getting a *lot* of wear come summertime and is most definitely big-bottle worthy.

Danube

A review in dialogue

Geolinguist: Ghost Light, my new imps came. Do you want to try one?

Ghost Light: (Coyly leaping tow couches and a green room full of small children in a single bound.) Imps? What did you get?

Geolinguist: (wiggling an imp inticingly) Danube. I got it for you especially. It has rhododendron and aquatic notes. It should have been named "Tacoma", all it needs is the papermill. I can't wait to see how it smells on you.

Ghost Light: (eyeing the imp and considering that it might very well end up smelling like papermill) Umm...

Danube: But...but...I have aquatics.

Geolinguist: But it has aquatic notes. You like aquatic notes.

Ghost Light: Oh..okay...(closes eyes and extends wrists for application)

Geolinguist: (Slathering, then sniffing) Wow! That's....that's lovely...

Ghost Light: It...is is lovely! I do like rhododendron! I like Danube! Thank you, Geolinguist!

Entire Greenroom: (in unison. Sniff. Sniff.) Wow! That's lovely!

Ghost Light: Hubby! Hubby! Smell this! Isn't it lovely? Do you like it?

Hubby: Yeah, it's okay.

Ghost Light: (while reheating dinner) Really? You like one of these?

Hubby: (sniffing again) Yeah! Now you smell like rhododendron and pizza!

Ghost Light and Danube: :P

Keeping the imp? Geolingist took it home, but I neeeeeeeed one of my own.

Bottle: Oh yes, yes!

Edited by Ghost Light

Imp: Aquatic and citrus

Wet: Oh uh, soap.

Dry: And soapy it shall remain. Staying power isn't very long, so that's good for me.

Final Thoughts: I think I'm maybe just not into aquatics. Minus Thalassa, nothing with water in it has struck me as anything special. Sigh.

Juicy, sweet flowers – so fresh. Splash of grapefruit.

This is a lovely watery floral that makes me think of Kindly Moon. It has a sharpness that Kindly Moon does not, and as it wears it becomes almost piercing in intensity. This is very pretty but it is a strong scent. It does remind me of flowers in rain and it smells moist yet cool. This isn’t the heart of summer, but perhaps the start of spring.