Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A brilliant, ethereal scent: white musk, bergamot, heliotrope, peach and oakmoss.

This smells to me like a real, juicy, fresh peach, a teeny touch of white musk and a nice summer-foresty note.

It makes me smile to wear.

The description "sparkly" is pretty apt, the peach isn't candy-sticky like Tamora. Heliotrope and I have never gotten along as well as with this blend before.

Yum.
*sniffs*
*grins*

It's hard for me to describe the stages this one goes through, but to me is smells very, very similar to Tamora, only maybe a *bit* fruitier (peach instead of peach blossom, but really, I get mostly "peach" out of Tamora, too.) The peach-heliotrope is very nice, but it's also not quite as complex in Fae; Tamora has the sandalwood and amber anchoring it, while the white musk and oakmoss in Fae doesn't feel quite as rich, at least on me.

I think this would be a great scent for someone who's tried Tamora and liked it in the bottle, but can't wear it because the sandalwood or amber doesn't work for them.

:D

I've taken to Fae like catnip. I want to run and jump and roll around...wheeeeee! I must have more!!!!!

:]

Wow---I was wondering how in the world I was going to manage to describe this marvelous oil, but thanks, you did it for me!

All I can add is that even though I tried this in a frimp over a year ago, for some reason it just didn't click with me the first time. All of a sudden a few months ago I got this odd urge to try it again, so I ordered 5ml. I came in today and WOW WOW WOW. I don't know how I managed to go so long without it.

The lemon-y bit I'm smelling must be the bergamot, and I definitely smell the musk. The peach is lost on me, which is strange since it seems so obvious to everyone else. No matter, I normally don't like fruit smells anyway, and especially not peach. But this scent is beautiful, light, sweet but not cloying, and .....well......sparkly. As Tart says, it's like catnip, and it makes me happy!

:P :D *contented sigh*

I got this as an empty-for-sniffing with my last swap, and it smelled so delicious, that I managed to eke a little drop out to try on my skin.

Now, my nose is STUCK to the spot.

This had a wonderful peachy high note (which has sadly faded), but is now a lovely light/sweet/warm/earthy musky blend.

This is definitely one of my favorite scents, :P and I usually go for the heavier/complex/vampier scents.

Oh, man. I think I might only be able to get one more wearing out of this frimp. :D

ETA: You know what it is? It's the oakmoss/peach thing. OMG.

Edited by ladymissspyder

In the imp: Peaches and musk.

Wet: Fruity and mellow, with a bit of a woody undertone. Pretty much like the description.

Dry: A bright fruitiness. Like a glass of a bubbly summer fruit wine.

Oh, I'm loving this! And it's my first review!

Wet, the florals are strong and sweet, with the citrus of the bergamot giving a little edge. as it dries the fruity peach comes out, and I'm finally left with a warm, sweet, fruity musk. Basically, it smells just like I thought it would, from the description! It reminds me of warm skin. I really love this! It's pretty strong, I don't need much at all, and lasting.

I'm not usually a fan of florals, but this one really caught me!

I was very afraid of the peach, bergamot and oakmoss, I have to say...they have never worked for me before. Fae, however, is not just a sum of her parts. She is enchanting, light, a bit silly, with a hint of mischief. I think of her as Zephyr's sister. I will save her for Spring...

Edit: Couldn't wait for Spring. It is a warm day here, about 65 in January, and I put Fae on for a bit of a lift. She did SO deliver. I feel so fresh and sexy. DH commented on the depth of the fragrance throughout the day. While it starts out bright and fruity, almost sharp with the peach and white musk, it sweetens out quite creamy, with the faintest hint of earthiness. She went from "hmmm...I like it" to top 10.

Glorious, glorious white musk!!!

ETA: 2014 Fae remains my favorite white musk in the GC; it dries out to a creamy clean skin scent. I have grown to adore her complexity, from the tittering peach opening to the low hum of the solemn oakmoss. She is the Mitsouko of BPAL. I have many happy memories with this scent and do not want to be without her.

Edited by lookingglass

Light, sparkly peach...pretty, but I think I'm more likely to reach for the sumptious apricots of Yerevan or the gilded peaches of Aglaea. :P

fae.jpg

Imp/Wet: lemon, peaches and white musk. This is a shimmering scent.

Dry:

This is so bright and cheerful. It smells clean, but it has so much more character than other scents I would normally call "clean". It has a decidedly "tea" feel to it, along with the musk and peaches. That would be the bergamot, I guess.

I think I get a bit of the oakmoss even, cuz this definitely makes me think forest. The same sort of forest as hesperides. With peach instead of apple. But Fae's forest is decidedly more...sparkly.

Further into drydown, this takes on a creaminess. The peach note weakens, but you can still catch dribbles of sweet fruit. I don't know what heliotrope really smells like, but I'm going ot make a point of tryijng more heliotrope blends. This is lovely.

Overall: This is dorian's cheerful flighty sister, and I love them both. Take dorian and replace the vanilla with peach, and you've got Fae. This scent glitters. Its absolutely gorgeous, and I'm getting a bottle for spring/summer.

In the imp, I get peaches. Hmm. I'm not particularly bothered about peaches either way, but I never imagined myself wearing a scent with them.

Straight after being applied, I got peaches, white musk and oranges (that'll be the bergamot). It's quite a nice, light scent.

After a few hours, it's still pretty much peaches and oranges. It's not the kind of scent I'd have normally picked for myself to wear, and I'm still not sure that I'd wear this very often, but the bf says I smell nice, so I guess that counts for something.

*~* FAE *~*

In the bottle: Lucious peaches!

Wet: Sweet, light peaches and oranges

Dry down: The musk comes out a bit to temper out the peach so it's not something someone passing you would think "peaches?"

Conclusion:A nice clean fruity floral without being overly fruity -This is a very happy, joyful scent to me. Sadly, I got a really weird taste in my mouth as soon as this hit my skin so I won't be wearing it again...

In the bottle: It's like Beth, had taken Georgia springtime and put it in a bottle.

Wet: White Musk, and heliotrope big time.

Dry Down: Light and balanced. The peach finally shows up, followed closely by the oakmoss, and balanced out nicely by the soft white musk.

I bought this one, knowing that I wouldn't like it.

Damn you Beth!!!! Damn you and your delicious scents!!!!!!!!!

I'm ordering a 10ml.

Edited by Shollin

At first, this was a softer, gentler version of Aglaea - not too peachy like a generic body lotion, with just a little floral hintings. As it dried down, though, my skin started to smell like plastic (!). I don't know if it's because of the oakmoss and I'm just not accustommed to its scent, but it's unpleasant and so off to the pile it goes.

i mostly get peach from fae- peach and a touch of that white musk. i thought that i would love smelling like peaches, but for some reason i don't :P it's no fault of the perfume, tho, it's really lovely! so summery...

::sigh:: I really liked Fae when it was first on, drying down, settling in. It smelled absolutely heavenly! Sweet, tangy, just... beautiful. I got the white musk and the peach which also smelled a bit citrusy like the perfect orange or clementine. I couldn't stop smelling myself. And then... after it had been on for about half an hour or so it turned into a faint meh-smelling powder. :P

In the bottle, fruity and delightful, a sunlit combination of peach, bergamot (a jaunty citrus smell), and a flower that must be heliotrope.

On the skin, the musk warms up and underscores it with a delightful sweet and velvety note . . . like fruits and flowers laid on a velvet cloth. This is both citrusy and floral; I don't enjoy citrus or floral smells all that much, but the combination is lively without being overpowering. This is an edible, hard-candy smell, but not so foody that I find it off-putting. Like a sour peach candy. Tart and wicked.

Dry, it's toned down to . . . wow. It's smooth and bright, like sunlight through white curtains, or walking through an orchard on a windy, bright day. The citrus is no longer quite so strong, and the overall smell is one of peaches and musk. I think it's the oakmoss mixing with something else, but there's almost a vanilla smell here – very faint, but that same kind of low-key richness.

This wears down more or less without changing, which I like. It doesn't go sour, it doesn't go powdery, it doesn't go soapy. Delightful, sunny, and warmhearted, an utterly beguiling scent that is so damn cheerful I'm not entirely sure I could wear it without suffering from irony poison. Nevertheless, I really like this. A lot.

On wet: smells greeny-sweet

On, just dry: sweet fruity at the edges with a dry powdery greeny-white smell taking center stage. The throw is peach with powder. Not baby powder, just something that smells like naturally it's a dry white powdery substance. Keeps making me grin, cause this smells yummy.

On, ~1 hr later: where has all the fruit gone? /cries

I've got a soft greeny-white powder, with a hint of a sugary sweet floral sitting on my wrist. The powder would like to blend with my natural scent, but doesn't understand how to. The green is blending with my natural scent. And the floral would be appealing but clashes with the other two scents something fierce. If I sniff my wrist *and* a cup of creamy Darjeeling at the same time, they would all like to move in together and have babies. Without the cuppa tea around, the floral wants to fight the powder and the green to the death.

I'm presuming the floral is heliotrope, the powder is the white musk, and the green is the oakmoss. None of these seem to hate me, thankfully. I haven't detected bergamot at any point in this, which is both sad and not surprising. It's a fairly soft citrus scent on me usually, so it probably got swallowed up by the peach at first and then vanished. The peach was probably the sweet fruity at the beginning, and if the bergamot was around it was helping to make the peach seem more real.

All throughout the powder has almost been more of a texture than a scent btw. I *know* I'm smelling it, but it feels like powder tickling my nose. It's also giving the air around me a taste, and I'm finding it rather unpleasant :-/.

Second try: layered this with Casanova. Casanova is a strong sharp green, and Fae is softening it slightly so I'm not getting a screaming headache. I seem to amp green scents, amp spices, and shift things towards the driest scent possible :-/.

Third try: mixed this with lotion and *really* overdid it (spilled probably about 0.25 mLs into the lotion). White musk in aveeno lotion doesn't go horribly powdery on me, and the various elements of the scent no longer go to war. However, heliotrope appears to be one of those notes that commonly get stuck in "vanilla" perfumes. It doesn't go nasty on me, but I don't enjoy it, since I felt like I was wearing a cheap vanilla perfume and those always go *very* nasty on me. I kept expecting something to start stabbing me with a headache. The peach didn't really stick around, and I felt like the scent was sitting on my skin and not melding.

Verdict: ...So uh, is there anything with Darjeeling tea, cream, white musk, heliotrope and oakmoss? Didn't think so *g*. I'll keep the imp for a while longer, but I suspect I'll be better off with a different fruit scent. The whole point of fruity is to find something the creature loves on me, and he's *very* unenthusiastic about this one.

Edit Oct 12, 2006:

Aging has changed Fae from a clash of notes to something entirely different. The initial stage is the scent of peaches in the farmer's market, laid against greenery. The feel is vaguely cartoony, like the scent is trying to be more real than actual peaches and greenery. Very clean in feel, with no hint of powder or floral or bergamot. As the day wears on, the scent has some fairly serious throw. Imperceptably, it shifts from being a peach in greenery, to being vanilla in greenery where the vanilla is trying to convince you that it's a peach. After around 8 hours, you're left with a soft vanillic scent, with hints of golden warmth and green.

Heliotrope is often used in vanilla fragrances, and it does smell rather like vanilla. So that's where the vanilla comes from. Oakmoss is the greenery, and I've seen some descriptions of it mention an "ambery drydown". It's not really ambery, more like what a plant would be if it heard of amber from a friend and decided to try smelling like that. The musk is now undetectable, but the scent has such longevity it's obvious there is musk. Now that it's fully aged, it feels like a fruity chypre, tho it doesn't have the full chypre backbone. Really fun scent, but I'm not sure it's worth buying a bottle that would be ready to use next June or July.

Kalli

Edited by Torrilin

at first: lovely. bright and a bit sweet.

on: gorgeous! lots of peach and bergamot, with a bit of white musk and heliotrope. a bring scent.

1 hour later: still bright and cheerful. lighter and not as sweet. still mostly peach, but with a stronger musk and oakmoss.

2 hours later: mostly musk and oakmoss.

overall: i like this at first, but i don't think i'd wear it often.

In the bottle and on very first application, I get yummy, bright fruits. It quickly settled down to a very strong floral powder with a lot of throw. After a couple hours, it became a nice, soft floral powder...which is not me at all. It was still going strong after three hours, at which point my fiance begged me to wash it off. :P Into the swap pile it goes!

For some reason, this smells JUST like the Lush soap Honey I Washed The Kids on me :P I can't explain it.

I put it on for the first time last night, and it just bloomed into this wonderfully addictive, HIWTK smell - creamy, buttery, caramelly, then dried down to a soft, citrusy (must be the bergomot) floral. Wonderful! :D

I don't think anyone's mentioned that it smells like HIWTK yet.. :D perhaps it's just me, but it was so unexpectedly identical. I love it! :D

I hope it wasn't just a one-off and that it keeps smelling like that on me from now on.

Edited by lyndsayj

In the imp: Smells bright and lightly sweet.

Wet on me: Sweet and fresh-smelling. Slightly fruity, bergamot and peach blending nicely.

Drydown: White musk emerges and rounds out the scent.

Verdict: Lovely fresh-smelling blend. The imp is a keeper.

This is tangy, peachy juiciness in the bottle, which is right up my alley. Unfortunately, once I put it on and it dries down, it disappears until it's a faint, powdery scent. Too bad.

Imp

Glistening fruits with light floral back drop. I can catch the slightest touch of the peach and it twinkles as if filled with champagne bubbles.

Wet

I can barely smell it! WTF! It is SO pretty in the imp. Stop tormenting me fae! I can catch the slightest whisper of beauty.

I guess I will just have to review this one again. If it changes, I will edit this review.

In the imp: very faint sweetness but that's about it. Strangely I'm not really picking up anything for this one.

On my skin, initial: ok, now I'm getting something; it's really tangy and kind of herbal. Maybe the heliotrope?

Drydown: the faintest hint of peach so that the whole scent grows sweeter, but that herbal note still pervades.

Overall this isn't as fruity as I'd hoped for, and not really me.

In the bottle: Perfumier than I was expecting. Nice, though, and light. Sort of lacy.

On me: Still perfume-y—I’m hoping it will calm down some. I do like it for a perfume though. Pale, bright green, with white mist over it.

A few hours later: Just perfume-y now. It doesn’t smell all that great. I’m going to wash my hands soon. I might give this another try, though, possibly in my hair. Oh, it’s probably the musk that I’m not liking. It did seem to have plenty of throw and lasted for a long time.