Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Salice

Tobacco scents

Minh, have you tried Mr prenderghast or cafe mille et une nuit? I've not tried the first, but the second is a lovely cologne featuring coffee and tobacco.

I offered in another thread to death match two other tobacco scents, but I've been a little too stuffed up to do it properly. Mars ultor just plain vanishes on me within minutes. Six minutes! Mostly benzoin but the best benzoin because of the supporting players. Until minute seven when it's gone.

Eyes made strong and have with sleep is a gentler stroke of that same deep tobacco, under a veil of musk and ambergris, embellished by non-foodie cacao. I really like it.

I know you mentioned missing out on eastern comma, but it does appear in the sales forum (also on the fb sales pages). Other tobacco scents that might interest you are Question Mark and Incipient Madness.

Edited by annemathematics

Strahlend and Annemathamatics, thank you, thank you for your thoughtful comments. Based on your input, I will put Interfector as top choice, with Perversion running second.

Anne, you description of Sherlock being high pitched makes me understand it perfectly. I'm all about that bass! Ha!

I do have Cafe Mille on the list. In fact my next order is reliant on the numbers of it left. I am also the happy owner of Question Mark, which I love.

Oh, darn, I forgot about Hellfire.. but incense AND tobacco, sounds like it can be bought blind.

Mars Ultor's lack of being able to keep it up us a cruel joke!

Thanks again!!! Tobacco hugs!!!

@Minh Scent I can't quite remember Hellfire, but judging from my notes it does sound very much like what you're looking for. This is the note I made for myself, "dark, musky, tobacco, incense. It smells strong. I love this scent. At first it was musky and had hints of sweet tobacco and soft leather. Later the sweetness seemed almost more like honey with the tobacco and leather. It was sweet, warm and musky - very inviting." If you're looking for more recommendations, I might add SN French Tobacco and Frank Burns, easily one of my favorite tobacco scents.

Thank you for looking at your notes and typing them here,Strahlend. That is very Kind. Hellfire does sound what I am looking for.

Alright, I have been combing through this thread for GC tobacco recommendations (very useful!), as well as looking at the 20 or so blends that come up on the main BPAL website. Bearing in mind my favorite BPAL of all times is Antikythera Mechanism and that I also have and like Black Rider and Dracul, which of these would you recommend if only one "allowed" to be purchased. (Sadly, Havana and Kali are "out of stock". Not sure if that means forever.)

1. Perversion

2. Interfector

3. Ogun

4. Elegbra

5. Sarah, the Mother Bear

6. Sherlock Holmes

Thank you for your input!

Perversion is my favorite on your list. I'd recommend Hellfire though if the tobacco note is what you're after. If you are willing to hunt some limited edition bottles down, try Bachelor's Dog and Hearth, I've seen both for sale here on the forum in the Sales sections.

Bump for more tobacco talk!

This note has always put me off in descriptions, because all I can imagine when I hear it is cigarette/cigar smoke, both of which I can't stand. Smoky scents and I do not get along.

But last night I was testing some frimps, and I realized that both The Antikythera Mechanism and Perversion smell REALLY good on me. Both contain tobacco, both smell different to my nose, and I can't detect anything smoky or that I would associate with tobacco in either one. Now I'm confused.

I went looking for other scents to compare to... Kali is lovely at first but the honey turns it powdery on me. And then looking at reviews, things like St. Clare or Hellfire (among others) all seem to have a smoky note that I feel would ruin the blend for me.

Since my chances of tracking down decants of single notes are slim, does anyone have any other suggestions for me that DON'T smell like smoke? And any scents where the particular tobacco note is similar to/the same as the one(s) in Perversion or Antikythera, to help my nose get a better grip on what I'm smelling?

This note has always put me off in descriptions, because all I can imagine when I hear it is cigarette/cigar smoke, both of which I can't stand. Smoky scents and I do not get along.

But last night I was testing some frimps, and I realized that both The Antikythera Mechanism and Perversion smell REALLY good on me. Both contain tobacco, both smell different to my nose, and I can't detect anything smoky or that I would associate with tobacco in either one. Now I'm confused.

I went looking for other scents to compare to... Kali is lovely at first but the honey turns it powdery on me. And then looking at reviews, things like St. Clare or Hellfire (among others) all seem to have a smoky note that I feel would ruin the blend for me.

Since my chances of tracking down decants of single notes are slim, does anyone have any other suggestions for me that DON'T smell like smoke? And any scents where the particular tobacco note is similar to/the same as the one(s) in Perversion or Antikythera, to help my nose get a better grip on what I'm smelling?

I love the tobacco note in antikythera mechanism, also can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke.

I don't find st Clare to be ciggie smokey at all. If you like antikythera, I'd be very surprised if you had issues with st Clare.

The dead leaves and tobacco from last year's weenies, the 2016 bonbon with tobacco, sloth, grievous swarm, eastern comma, eyes made strong and have with sleep all have that note. Visions of Autumn 7 and Incipient madness are also nice.

Interfector, conjunction of Saturn and mars, dracul and looming spectre all have it, might run more unisex than you're into?

Since my previous post, I have tried Mr prenderghast. He's the closest to ciggie smoke (there's an element of huffing the woollen coat of a smoker) but it doesn't bother me like actual ciggie smoke, which irl bothers me so much that being unscathed by the scent doppelganger is both relief and revelation. I adore Mr prenderghast actually. Such a cuddly comforting scent. BUT different tobacco note.

Mat night from pretty indulgent didn't work on my skin, but it has tobacco in it and many people give it high marks.

Paysage and le lethe feature tobacco and are beautifully feminine.

Given your enjoyment of perversion, elegba might work for you.

Edited by annemathematics

I think a lot of people confuse the scent of tobacco with the scent of cigarette smoke. Take it from an occasional smoker - the two are not remotely the same! To me, most of the Lab's different tobacco notes are similar to fresh, old school pipe tobacco, which is essentially just a dried plant - it doesn't have any of the nasty chemicals in it that cigarettes have. PLUS, it hasn't been burnt yet (after all, it's a tobacco note, not an ash note, lol) so it doesn't smell smoky. Took me forever to figure this out and realize that I too love the scent of the Lab's tobacco.

Anyway, now that I have rambled on, some of my favourite tobacco blends: (ones that are not really difficult to find)

Elegba - coconut, tobacco and sweet, sugared rum.

Question Mark - Blackened vanilla absolute with tobacco leaf, Ceylon cinnamon, orange-bark myrrh, and orange blossom.

Brown Thrasher - Sweet rum distillate with tobacco absolute, white sandalwood, and warm brown musk.

Sing The Wild Song - Red musk and threads of saffron with sweet wild tobacco, blackened clove, white sandalwood, cypress, and black pine pitch

La Femme de Satan - Red musk and cacao with clove, caramelized tobacco, aged patchouli, red currant, black leather, and vanilla-infused amber.

St. Clare - White sandalwood and tonka with sweet tobacco incense, vanilla-infused mahogany, rum absolute, and golden oudh.

I love the tobacco note in antikythera mechanism, also can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke.

I don't find st Clare to be ciggie smokey at all. If you like antikythera, I'd be very surprised if you had issues with st Clare.

The dead leaves and tobacco from last year's weenies, the 2016 bonbon with tobacco, sloth, grievous swarm, eastern comma, eyes made strong and have with sleep all have that note. Visions of Autumn 7 and Incipient madness are also nice.

Interfector, conjunction of Saturn and mars, dracul and looming spectre all have it, might run more unisex than you're into?

Since my previous post, I have tried Mr prenderghast. He's the closest to ciggie smoke (there's an element of huffing the woollen coat of a smoker) but it doesn't bother me like actual ciggie smoke, which irl bothers me so much that being unscathed by the scent doppelganger is both relief and revelation. I adore Mr prenderghast actually. Such a cuddly comforting scent. BUT different tobacco note.

Mat night from pretty indulgent didn't work on my skin, but it has tobacco in it and many people give it high marks.

Paysage and le lethe feature tobacco and are beautifully feminine.

Given your enjoyment of perversion, elegba might work for you.

Thank you!! :D

Pretty sure I have an imp of Le Lethe in my "maybe" pile, I'll have to dig that up and try it again.

I didn't snag any of the Dead Leaves/Visions of Autumn the past few years, or any of the butterflies... those might have to be some of the next things I hunt down.

Elegba has been on my to-try list for awhile; this sudden tobacco curiosity has me even more excited to test it!

I think a lot of people confuse the scent of tobacco with the scent of cigarette smoke. Take it from an occasional smoker - the two are not remotely the same! To me, most of the Lab's different tobacco notes are similar to fresh, old school pipe tobacco, which is essentially just a dried plant - it doesn't have any of the nasty chemicals in it that cigarettes have. PLUS, it hasn't been burnt yet (after all, it's a tobacco note, not an ash note, lol) so it doesn't smell smoky. Took me forever to figure this out and realize that I too love the scent of the Lab's tobacco.

Anyway, now that I have rambled on, some of my favourite tobacco blends: (ones that are not really difficult to find)

Elegba - coconut, tobacco and sweet, sugared rum.

Question Mark - Blackened vanilla absolute with tobacco leaf, Ceylon cinnamon, orange-bark myrrh, and orange blossom.

Brown Thrasher - Sweet rum distillate with tobacco absolute, white sandalwood, and warm brown musk.

Sing The Wild Song - Red musk and threads of saffron with sweet wild tobacco, blackened clove, white sandalwood, cypress, and black pine pitch

La Femme de Satan - Red musk and cacao with clove, caramelized tobacco, aged patchouli, red currant, black leather, and vanilla-infused amber.

St. Clare - White sandalwood and tonka with sweet tobacco incense, vanilla-infused mahogany, rum absolute, and golden oudh.

Brown Thrasher sounds good, I do like the Lab's rum. La Femme de Satan sounds intense but just like the kind of scent that might surprise me. And more votes for Elegba and St. Clare, yay!

I'm really excited to have a new note to experiment with, but really surprised that it's this one. You're right, I totally assumed "tobacco" meant "ashy cigarettes/overpowering cigars." Happy to be wrong, it opens up a lot of possibilities!

Thanks very much guys! I love the collective forum brain of scent knowledge ^_^

Edited by kajacana

Seconding St. Clare and Conjunction of Mars and Saturn! I had bad luck with few initial experiments (The Top, In The Time Of Plague) that ended up too much like an actual ashtray on me. I'm not a fan of literal cigarettes either. The intensity in these two just right and the rest of the blend balances and supports without drowning it out or adding to the heaviness of ashes. (Unlike Elegba, which is actually coconut and sugar and little else most of the time on me, particularly fresh. I got a sample of aged, and it's better balanced, but not sure it's worth the wait.) St. Clare is on the sweet side overall - it says "incense", but it's not smokey like a cigarette. Conjunction is herbal, which makes it even less cigarette-like for me. I found the note even milder in Paysage.

Thank you all -- great suggestions!

Depending on how many Weenies I end up with, I might try to grab a St. Clare in my next order.
And The Arabian Dance sounds awesome, I love hazelnut, and the Lab's leather tends to work well for me.

Throwing out there that Mrs. Bunce is a great tobacco scent as well.

And Sloth seven word story.

Edited by Bulletslc

Another enlightened tobacco-fiend here! I think it was actually TF's Tobacco Vanille that first made me realize I -love- the smell of Tobacco (leaves) and that it smells nothing like cigarette smoke, which I dislike and my husband absolutely despises (his mother has gone through at least a pack a day for as long as he can remember, so he has especially bad memory associations with the scent and has flat out told me that if I ever took up smoking he would leave me :eek: ) so the fact that he doesn't think my tobacco perfumes smell like cigarette smoke is all the proof I will ever need.

How did I miss Brown Thrasher? That sounds lovely! I will have to hunt down a decant or bottle of that.

My favorite BPAL tobacco scents are definitely Eastern Comma (juicy orange and french tobacco, omg), Dead Leaves & Tobacco (lovely and autumnal, a more unisex scent), and the SN French Tobacco which is admittedly hard to get a hold of. I liked Mrs. Bunce, but on me at least she was more musk than tobacco. Conversely, I swear Miss Lizzie has a soft heart note of tobacco even though tobacco is not listed in the notes. It's also a drop-dead gorgeous carnation, if that's your thing!

I have found that while I like tobacco with other notes, I can't do it as a single note — it needs something to balance it.

Sherlock Holmes: definitely a high tobacco note, and one of my all-time favorites overall.

Plunder: tobacco, spices, and tea

Autumn Moon of the Mirror Stand (Novel Ideas For Secret Amusements), Lupercalia 2010: I get cognac, quince, vanilla, and the high tobacco, but on me it had almost zero throw.

Elegba: the world's best pirate. Tobacco, rum, and brûlée sugar.

St. Claire was just sandalwood and mahogany on me; I was quite disappointed. My skin amps the Lab's leather note, so Perversion and Black Rider are out for me. I also amp cardamom, which took out Arabian Dance. Tag-Upon-Avon turned into a single-note tobacco on me, oddly enough.

Posting/bumping this up to add to the tobacco love! I've always adored the smell of tobacco, so it was unsurprising that it would turn out to be a major BPAL note of love for me (I'm testing out Mrs. Bunce today, and wow she's gorgeous!)

I also wondered if anyone else has tried layering the Bulgarian Tobacco SN with The Lion? A friend recommended I try it, after I raved about those two scents individually, and while I love both of those scents on their own as well, together they were even better than I expected. (I'm also going to go back through this thread from the beginning and take notes, to see if there's any additional tobacco blends that jump out at me :D)

I <3 tobacco!

favourite new finds since last time I posted in this thread:

The Ta-Ta Boiled leather, carnation blossom, coffee absolute, and tobacco. It strikes me as funny that coffee and tobacco go as well together in perfume as they do on a patio....lol.

Dead Leaves, Blackcurrent, and Tobacco Tar aka a few of my favourite things...awesome.

Pleasures of The Imagination III Turkish tobacco, black leather, cinnamon, benzoin, and smoked honey. This is so dead sexy! The tobacco note is similar to French Tobacco on me. YUM

Three and Twenty smoky vetiver, myrrh, and labdanum with bleak agarwood and tobacco. This is an awesome dark, somewhat gritty tobacco scent on me. Love it.

The Bones of Capys King mandarin, bronze tobacco, white sandalwood, and chamomile. Total surprise hit for me! The blonde tobacco reminds me a bit of Bulgarian, only less sweet. It's amazing paired with the orange.

I think I may need to track down some Dead Leaves, Blackcurrant and Tobacco Tar, and Elegba was one that I had on my list of scents to try anyway, but seeing more people mention it positively has me moving it up my priority list, I think XD. (I wish I'd gotten tobacco from The Bones of Capys - unfortunately, it didn't come forward for me, and my skin eats king mandarin, so I ended up swapping that out when I had it.)

For the Ta-Ta...how strong is the coffee? I love the smell of coffee, but a recent bpal with it as a note ended up smelling like awful scorched coffee on me, so now I'm a little more cautious with it.

I think I may need to track down some Dead Leaves, Blackcurrant and Tobacco Tar, and Elegba was one that I had on my list of scents to try anyway, but seeing more people mention it positively has me moving it up my priority list, I think XD. (I wish I'd gotten tobacco from The Bones of Capys - unfortunately, it didn't come forward for me, and my skin eats king mandarin, so I ended up swapping that out when I had it.)

For the Ta-Ta...how strong is the coffee? I love the smell of coffee, but a recent bpal with it as a note ended up smelling like awful scorched coffee on me, so now I'm a little more cautious with it.

I just went and stuffed my nose in the bottle (it's a cool weather smell that I haven't worn in a bit) and it's a good hit of coffee. Mixed with the tobacco though it makes it sweet and rich and divine. Coffee is really great on my skin though.

Here's some recommendations from someone who has recently been exploring tobacco as a note, and adding to prior recommendations with * means it's one of my top choices [including tobacco, pipe, tobacco flower and leaf]:

A Bachelor's Dog **

A Grievous Swarm *

A Peculiar Spirit

Apple III

Black Lace ***

Bunraku Theater *

Cafe Mile et une Nuit

Christougenniatiko Dentrophobia

Conjunction of Mars and Saturn

Dark Chocolate, Black Tobacco, Vetiver

Diable en Boite

Danse de la Mort (Pickman Gallery)

Gluggagaegir *

Hearth

Looming Spectre of Inutterable Horror *

Pleasures of the Imagination II & III & V

In Time of Plague

Indulgence (Crimson Peak)

Interfector *

La Dame au Cochon *

La Femme de Satan *

La Pierreuse

La Ronde du Sabbat **

Le Vice Suprême

Pan Twardowsky and the Devil

Paysage

Phoenix and Dragon *

Red Lantern *

The Antikythera Mechanism **

The Initiation (Fleurettes Purple Snails)**

The Organ Grinder ***

The Parliament of Monsters

The Second Morning After Christmas *

This is Your Wilderness

Three and Twenty *

Visions of Autumn VII

I've intentionally omitted scents that list tobacco but I can't detect it due to overshadowing by other notes, e.g. Perversion, Dracul, etc.

Edited by sprout

Like several other people in this thread, I initially avoided tobacco scents because I was afraid it would be similar to cigarette smoke (and even just the scent of that on a smoker's clothes can trigger asthma and/or migraines for me), but after finally trying Antikythera Mechanism, I realized that no, it's glorious on me and not cigarette-smoke-like at all. I grew up in the Southeast, so you'd think "cured tobacco = inside of a tobacco barn =/= cigarette smoke" should have been a no-brainer, but somehow it wasn't.

My favorite tobacco scents so far:

Antikythera Mechanism: I get oak/teak/cozy wood, caramelized tobacco, and just a hint of vanilla. It's a warm, dry scent on me rather than a sweet, vanilla-y one (in fact, I often layer it with Light of Men's Lives to add more vanilla and beeswax to it). It reminds me a little of a restaurant in VA that's a beloved family tradition - the building is an old tobacco warehouse, and when you go up the stairs to the top level of seating, you can smell the massive old wooden floor and ceiling beams overhead and around you, which are still permeated with a faint tobacco scent from years of having hogsheads of tobacco stored there.

Dark Chocolate, Black Tobacco, and Vetiver: My skin eats chocolate notes, so this is all sweet/warm tobacco (I've heard this compared to the French Tobacco SN, which if so, means that that LE probably ought to be my holy grail) and smoky/warm vetiver. It smells like warm, sweet/dark hot wood, like being inside the world's most wonderful exotic-wood-paneled sauna. It's more humid/not as dry as Antikythera Mechanism, and both darker and sweeter.

Pleasures of the Imagination III: Humid, sexy tobacco with a hint of leather (miraculously, the leather in this behaves and doesn't amp and dominate everything) and sweet/faintly-spicy honey-benzoin. This is both really humid and really sexy.

Smokestack: I'm convinced that this has tobacco in it alongside the really obvious vetiver. It smells like a GC scent cousin to DCBT&V, except a little less humid/sticky, without the hint of chocolate at the beginning and with more a more campfire smoky-vetiver and a hint of maple syrup on the drydown.

Other faves that include tobacco but aren't tobacco-dominant:

Mars Ultor - mostly black amber with a hint of nutmeg, but I can tell the tobacco is there because it's similar to a lighter/softer, sweeter/less-dry Antikythera Mechanism. It doesn't last very long on my skin, so I tend to wear it in my hair when I'm wearing either DCBT&V or AM

Pumpkin II (2014) - this is primarily cloves and oakmoss with a hint of pumpkin, and is also one of the only things with a patchouli note that I've ever been able to wear. I bought this at NYCC back in 2014 based on a sniff test without knowing the notes, so I wasn't even aware that it had tobacco at first.

Bunraku Theater - Hay, beeswax, and pumpkin (like a less-sweet Midnight With a Pumpkin Light). I can barely detect the tobacco at all, but I got this one entirely for the beeswax/hay combo, so I don't mind.

A Grievous Swarm - I was able to try this at a meet-up, and it's a gloriously gritty/smokey vetiver. The vetiver and myrrh are both strong enough to largely drown the tobacco note out, but I love vetiver so I love this. It's my vetiver Holy Grail.

I had really high hopes for St. Clare, but it's super-faint on me and fades extremely quickly. Tobacco Honey smelled like bugspray and made me sad. Elegba is nice but is mostly rum-dominant, while Plunder is mostly cassia/clove and tea. Perversion is almost entirely leather because I amp leather.

I just went and stuffed my nose in the bottle (it's a cool weather smell that I haven't worn in a bit) and it's a good hit of coffee. Mixed with the tobacco though it makes it sweet and rich and divine. Coffee is really great on my skin though.

That's good to know! Because the one that went really awful on me smelled that way in the bottle as well, so it wasn't just a skin chemistry thing for me XD.

edit: annnnnd, so many other wonderful sounding recs! I'll post up some of the ones I've tried recently that have been keepers, as well!

Edited by Vashtya

And don't forget The Jeweled Spider. The cigarillo smoke is so nice in that one. It doesn't end up smelling like smoke, it smells like fresh cigarillos.

Edited by Carrie

I'm so sad that Elegba was mainly coconut and St. Clare was mostly incense. They smelled lovely before I put them on my skin. And, technically, they do still smell lovely, but not anything worth keeping.