Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Bellatrix

Peony Moon

The year is ended, and it only adds to my age;
Spring has come, but I must take leave of my home.
Alas, that the trees in this eastern garden,
Without me, will still bear flowers.

Peony, plum blossom, water reeds and soft Asian woods.

Open bottle: Nothing. Can't smell anything coming from the bottle. To the point where I looked, to make sure that there was something in there.

On, wet: Hello, peony! This oil absolutely blossoms on my skin. It is a thick, lush, wet peony field that I'm rolling around in.

On, 5 minutes: Much softer, though the peony is still strong. The plum blossom is sneaking its way in, as well as what I think are the reeds, because I'm not getting any woods yet. The signature lunar oils are also playing merry hob with my brain.

On, half an hour: Lush, floral scent. The reeds are what is softening this. It now feels like I'm in a peony field, at midnight. You can practically hear the reeds in the distance.

Overall: Lush, is the only way to really describe the type of peony this is. Juicy peony, with a small trail of plum blossom and reeds. I'm not getting the woods yet, but hopefully they'll come out to play soon. This is an incredibly sexy scent, as well. I feel luxurious while wearing it.

Throw: I'd give it a three. about 8 inches from my wrist, and I can smell it. Right against the wrist, is overwhelming.

Score: 4/5. This scent is beautiful. I wish I had ordered a second bottle. The only thing keeping me from the 5/5 is the fact that the lunar note tends to give me a headache. Yes, I'll wear this scent anyway.

Edited to add full description. --Shollin

in the bottle: PINK, very pink blossoms

wet:flowers for sure, and still very pink, very true to the bottle, those who like very girly, pink, floral, scents, will adore this one i think

as it dries it becomes a bit softer but still very true to the bottle, i am starting to detetct a woody, reedy back note, it isn't really an obvious note, as you would expect it is a supporting player. it holds the peonies in check and keeps them from being over the top. all in all this is very youthful, sweet, and innocent, i think some people will be totally head over heels for this one. and although it isn't really me, it is a stunning spring floral.

In the bottle: Peony. Fresh, blossoming peony.

Wet: There's a sharp note that comes through when it first hits my skin, but it's not unpleasant. The peony is there, a very warm and full floral, but there's something creamy underneath that grounds it.

Drydown: The peony softens as the other notes build up around it - the plum has peeked out, and something faintly deep and woody - the reeds, perhaps? The overall blend reminds me of something very familiar, but I can't put my finger on exactly what.

Throw: Average.

Score: 4/5. I've never been a floral person, but peonies have long been an exception. This is a beautiful, complex floral - rich without being overkill. Perfect for spring, and I'm sorry that I only ordered one bottle. Bravo, Beth.

this reminds me a lot of budding moon, i suppose since they share plum blossom and peony. i do prefer peony moon, though! it's a very nice sweet pink floral, but with just enough of the reeds/woods to keep it grounded. this is a great spring oil!

Peony Moon is like Amsterdam's big sister. Peony is a soft, feminine floral scent, and it is hard to smell at times. I had to stick my nose nearly in the bottle and take a good whiff. It is the embodiment of Spring- green, life, rain bringing the flowers into full bloom. The mix of the peony with plum and Asian woods is a winner. I'm afraid my skin will gobble up this scent quickly (as my skin does with Amsterdam), but I think Peony Moon will make a wonderful pick me up scent for the scent lockets.

Another Lunacy winner. :P

I thought I'd love Peony Moon and I was right! It's big, pink and fluffy without seeming frail, just like a freshly cut peony. It does remind me a bit of Budding Moon, but if Budding Moon = bright fuschia, Peony Moon is a pale, but substantial, pink.

I find it to be a very intensely scented oil though - just a dab and I'm floating in flowers.

I have loved all the 2006 Lunacies and Peony Moon has just kept the streak alive!

mmm, in the bottle it is a big pink fresh flower. and the bottle is so pretty in pink.

wet on skin it is so pretty, i am taking in deep breaths and i think it would be just lovely to stand by someone wearing this, like, well aren't you smelling so good today!

i really like it as it dries, there is the moon, the changing face of spring, the wetness in the flower, the clouds rushing away after the rain.

such a beautiful perfume.

my first moon, my first review!

I'm a florals fan, therefore I must try anything with a strong floral element as long as it's not violet.

Origin: Fresh from the Lab

In the Bottle: Very faint upon first try--I agree with the person above who had to check that there was oil in there. After a few deep sniffs I get the gentlest whiff of florals, very pink and spring-green.

Wet: Oh, nice! Very floral; I'm not good enough at the notes to say whether it's the peony or plum, but something is very high and fresh. I can tell that the water reeds are keeping it from being too sweet. I can see the resemblance to Budding Moon, though this is much more spring-like to me.

Drydown: Hmm... at first it's nice, with the woods poking out just a bit. But then I develop a very acrid note. It's not like my troubles with violet, not that strong, but it's there, distracting me from the sweet flowers. And most annoying of all, it comes and goes.

Verdict: I'm going to have to try this one again and think about it.

The Dormouse meets Budding Moon, on me. Plum blossom clearly loves me more than peony, since I smell much more like fruity candy than flowers. Fresh and sweet, and if it has better throw and is longer lasting than the other two, I'll swap them and keep this instead.

Very floral. I could smell it as soon as I opened the bottle and took a whiff. It seems to have quite a bit of throw and the lasting power is amazing. At first all I could smell was the peony. Then when it began to dry down I did notice a hint of woodiness. Not enough to take away from the floral but it added something very special to it. I am so glad I got this one. I can't wait to fully wear it around!

I wasn't going to buy this one. Florals and I don't get a long to much. But This is just beautiful. This is how I wish Roses smelled on me.

It is soft and rich floral scent. The throw on me is not that far...but that is alright. It is for me anyway. When I first put it on it all floral with an underlying sweetness. That might be the plum. Then as it dries down it goes soft and just a tad musky. I wish I would have known how wonderful this is, because I would have gotten another bottle and worn it all Spring.

This might be my spring scent. I would give this lunacy a 5/5.

Peony Moon reminds me very much of Budding Moon, just without the lotus. It's sweet and pink- perfect for spring...

From the bottle forward, Peony Moon is a clean, bright floral.

It reminds me very much of Dirty, which I love, but ever so slightly more feminine.

I guess you could call it Dirty's older, prettier sister.

The Peony note really dominates the blend for me, and its spot on enough to be almost indistinguishable from the blooms in my yard.

I love it. I wish I'd bought more.

Edited by Digital_Hypoxia

In the bottle, this is almost entirely fresh peony scent, but on me it morphs into mostly plum blossom, and it's a wee bit too fruity for me, particularly because it reminds me of some shampoo scents I don't much like. I'll give it another try. I wish it stayed the same on me as it smells in the bottle, because the peony scent is gorgeous.

BPALLunacyPeony.jpg

In the bottle

Mmmm...I love Peony. I've been fortunate to try Beth's single note Peony and it is lovely. Historically, I've not been a huge floral fan but because of Beth's Peony I consider myself to be a floral lover now.

On

Beautiful. I can't describe what peony smell slike, it's soft, fresh, pale pink.

The plum blossom is swooooon-worthy.

30 minutes

It turns somewhat soapy on me but nothing that would make me not want to wear this lovely fresh floral.

Throw:

Yes.

Scent category:

Floral

Summary

This Lunacy blend is right up there for me in popularity with Blue Moon, Hunter Moon, Fruit Moon, Sleepy Moon...the classics. *wink*

Purchase again?

Yes.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

4.0-4.5 (edited to add: can't decide just now, will update a bit later)

Edited by UltraViolet

My peony moon order just arrived and I had to try this one on first - the label is STUNNING!! And very fitting to the oil.

This one is very in-your-face Peony when first applied - it screams Hot Pink Floral, but it calms down very quickly to a lighter, softer pink as the other elements (mostly water reeds and dry woods at this stage) balance and soften it. I think I'm beginning to smell the plum blossom now.

When it first goes on it's like sticking your nose into a peony bud, but after a few minutes, it's like being in a room with a vase of fresh cut flowers. You get light wafts of the fragrance, and you are very aware of being in the room with fresh flowers.

Overall, it's really a beautiful blend. It's a very rich, fresh, spring-like floral.

I think I might just love every blend with peony in it. Peony Moon is gorgeous, with that perfect peony note that instantly calls up the image of an actual peony bloom, pink and slightly vulnerable.

Underneath the peony I smell something that I think I recognize from the Water of Notre Dame, maybe it's the reeds. It's aquatic but not ozoney.

And on the drydown, the soft woods. Totally stunning stuff. I will cherish my little bottle and happily use it up.

I was so leery of getting this one because the listed notes were so similar to Budding Moon which was Just Too Sweet for my taste. It was a lucky gamble.

Peony Moon is floral, but soft and feminine. On me, it is pretty much 100% soft floral. Not fruity, not woodsy, just floral. This will be a wear-often during the spring season.

Peonies are one of my favorite flowers, so I had to have this lunacy blend!

In the bottle: peony with a subtle green and slightly aquatic note.

Wet: gorgeous pink peonies in full bloom. I feel like I just rolled on flowers from my Raspberry Sorbet herbaceous peony.

Dry: The subtle green and aquatic note comes forward and blends with the peony. A really beautiful blend. I wish I had ordered more than one bottle.

This is a dry floral. It starts out very peony and plum blossom dominant, which is almost too much for my nose. There's almost a bitterness or sourness to the flowers that I can't quite put my finger on.

But then it dries and the woods take the forefront. They're dry and aged and spicy and deep. And the peony and plum blossom move to the back as an afterthought, only adding just the slight sweetness at the end of a really deep inhale.

Very nice and mellow.

In the bottle I smell sweet candied flowers, but to me it smells more like rose than peony. Peonies are my favorite flower - and this doesn't really smell too much like peony to me. Perhaps its the addition of the plum blossom that adds extra sweetness.

Dry down into the first hour or two smells like a lovely sweet floral - very very pretty and spring like.

After that, something begins to peek out that I'm not liking very much, and I think perhaps its something woodsy.. the reeds? the aquatic notes? it smells like bit like a kitchen sponge left sitting in the sink too long. Not a very nice "funky" smell.

I think I may try this on again but with some body lotion on, or layer it with something like sandalwood. I love the flowers in this very much, but I need to work with the reedy/woodsy component of it a bit more. The jury is still out on this one.

I may also just let it sit in the bottle for a while. There have been a few scents that have grown on me the longer they sat, or have worn better depending on which day I'm trying them on.

Addenda... it's now a full 6 hours since initial application and the funky moldy woodsy smell has been beaten into submission by this lovely bright pinkred floral... with just a hint of sweetness to it. Definitely a keeper... definitely need to play with the application a bit.

Edited by mermaiden

Before the updates I had my doubts about Peony Moon, because I'm just noy a huge floral gal, but when I saw the notes and how similar they were to Budding Moon, which I adore, I had to go for it. (Well, actually, I would have bought it anyway, but I had high hopes for it!)

In the bottle, Peony Moon smells like a slightly drier, sharper, more precisely floral close relation to Budding Moon. On my skin, for the first few hours, what I suspect must be the peony, drowns out most everything else on my. I can smell hints of the plum blossom but very little of the woody notes.

A few hours into it now, the florals have backed off a bit and this is a more girly pink scent to my nose - very pretty, but I'm not sure yet if it's quite me.

Wet: Soft, fresh spring flowers after a refreshing rain. Slightly rosy without being a strong “rose,” which is good because rose itself tends to overwhelm me.

Dry: Very pink and floral. Tending towards soap, though. That's a pity. Otherwise it's a nice, lively, and girly floral.

I'm so glad I ordered this! I don't usually jump on the Lunacies, just because I have a bad track record with scents I don't get to try out beforehand, and this one should have made me doubly wary because I tend not to mesh well with florals. I guess peony is one floral that I can absolutely love and wear successfully. This is a lovely soft floral with some green and aquatic notes, not very strong on me. After a few hours, it becomes more powdery/woody and less floral, but it would definitely be worth a re-apply.

In bottle: It is such a sweet, delicate floral. It is big pink blossoms arranged in an elegant glass vase - they are fresh and cool, absolutely lovely, and you can smell the water in the vase beneath them.

On me: Very true to the bottle - the fragrance intensifies on the skin, but it definitely doesn't go away. It is ultimate feminine - peony petals scattered in a bath or on bedsheets. It's so soft and lovely; it is a happy little girl sort of smell. Very clean, but not in a soapy or astringent way. *****