Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Alice Aforethought

Sleepytime BPAL

It's a very different feel, but I like scents like Psyche and Eve. Very comforting. They don't induce sleep, but I definitely feel like I'm in a hug and fall right to sleep.

Aromatherapeutically speaking, lavendar and jasmine are the scents that induce sleepiness most, according to most studies. Shame I hate them both!

wow, you are out of luck! i had a blend made for me at body perfumery - vanilla, jasmine and lavender. it totally makes me sleepy. but i'm almost out, so i thought i'd solicit some more ideas. i love all three!

It's a very different feel, but I like scents like Psyche and Eve. Very comforting. They don't induce sleep, but I definitely feel like I'm in a hug and fall right to sleep.

Aromatherapeutically speaking, lavendar and jasmine are the scents that induce sleepiness most, according to most studies. Shame I hate them both!

it's a bit funny, but the combination of sandalwood and rose makes me really woozy with minimal effort. :P if you get a chance, try it!

i finally got somnus yesterday at willcall ... and it's the best thing ever. someone i read puts a dot above their lip - so the smell is wafted straight to the nosey - and that works too. last night was blissful sleep!

I was so happy to find this thread. I have a little baggy set aside of the softer, more peaceful smelling imps I have and have been experimenting with them at bedtime.

Last night I put on a blend of TAL's White Light and Somnus and fell asleep into one of the most amazing sleeps I've ever had. It was so wonderful that when my daughter woke me up an hour later I felt *rested*. Usually I walk into walls at that point.

I highly recommend the two to battle insomnia, sleeping issues (as I have struggled with both my whole life). I can't wait to sleep tonight :P

I'm a regular insomniac, and for me the best sleep blend so far is the TAL Nocturne. When I use it, I have a deep, restful sleep with no wakings during the night, and I feel great when I wake up. I'm dying to try TKO, though.

For those looking for a lavender sleep blend, Calliope is what I've been using. I have a big bottle and am slathering it in lieu of Black Cat, which is a rose blend that is very nice at bedtime.

Those are my two faves. I'm eager to try TKO.

I use Baku if I really need to sleep. That along with a cup of chamomile tea are a prescription for deep sleep pronto. If I want something a bit more...sexy...I reach for the Sleepy Moon. My skin amps the Poppy in that blend making it a nice little scent for enticing the Munky before falling off to dreamland in his arms.

I don't know if it works for anyone else, but I almost always wear Sybaris to sleep. It's very soothing to me, and I uaully have no trouble falling asleep when I wear it.

I have this problem recently where I just cannot get to sleep and, even having slept 8 hours or more, I feel drained in the morning when I get up. I'm looking for an oil that will help remedy this problem. Bonuses for one that will help me have vivid and positive dreams.

Thanks in advance, all!

check out somnium's line i haven't tried it myself (i should, i have awful sleep habits)

my friend has used baku (eats nightmares) and likes it. i think she used nanshe too so i could be getting them mixed up...but they seemed to help her.

i'd just try somnus, it says it gives you a deep restful natural sleep.

TKO if you just need to get to sleep, sleep soundly, and get rested.

I find that Nanshe gives me vivid dreams. Although the lemony herbal note sometimes wakes my brain up a bit. I prefer the comforting sweet vanilla lavender of TKO. Baku was way too strong - and Somnus turned into a weird lavender rose.

I've had good results with TAL Nocturne, which works fast and even seems to help several days after I use it. I do find it makes me want to sleep more than 8 hours on the nights I use it, though.

I also like rotating the different Somnium oils and Quietude for different dreams. Other BPALs I've found good for sleep have been Kostnice, (GC) Nocturne, and Chuparosa.

Bonuses for one that will help me have vivid and positive dreams.

Temple of Dreams. Every single time I wear it, I have incredibly vivid dreams (and NOT nightmares) with an unusual level of recall. From my review:

Half an hour later (I didn't go to bed right away) I realized that my breathing had slowed and I'd become much more relaxed and calm. Also realized that the scent had really grown on me and that I actually kind of liked it. When I got in bed I didn't have any trouble falling asleep. I had extremely vivid dreams with an unusual level of recall (for about the first 15-30 minutes after waking - long enough to write it down if I were working with dreams. I still remember a bit more than usual, but the volume and detail of my recall for the first 15 minutes was staggering.). I also slept like a rock and woke up more refreshed than I have in quite a long time.

I didn't have any luck with Oneiroi or Somnus - the first didn't do anything and the second actually gave me screaming insomnia every time I tested it, and I gave it a good number of tries. Go figure. I really like both Safari and Quietude (the first on my skin, the second in a burner), as well as TKO, but none of those have any effect on my dreaming. Temple of Dreams is far and away my favorite sleep blend.

My husband swears by Somnus (he's an occasional insomniac) but I sleep best with Temple of Dreams. All the Somnium blends are available as imps, so you might want to get a pack and see what works for you, as I found them all to be quite different.

Another sleeping problem. Please help!

1. I'm involved in a competitive intellectual evening activity and I get incredibly keyed up and unable to stop going over every move in my head a million times. I'm a 100% head-person. When I manage to drag myself back into my body a little, I have an easier time falling asleep, but I keep escaping back out that hole in the top of my head!

2. Since I was a child I've had night terrors, where I wake screaming my head off. Since I've got a great set of pipes, this has resulted in calls to the police from my neighbors who were convinced I was being murdered. It can take me hours to get back to sleep after I've woking myself with bloodcurdling screams.

3. Have two small children (who'd I prefer not to terrify with screaming night terrors). As you know, this doesn't make for a great night's sleep all on it's own, even without the other problems.

So I guess I need a deeply sensual sleep blend, something that will activate my heart or, er, lower and drag me solidly into my body.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Best,

Tzi

Another sleeping problem. Please help!

1. I'm involved in a competitive intellectual evening activity and I get incredibly keyed up and unable to stop going over every move in my head a million times. I'm a 100% head-person. When I manage to drag myself back into my body a little, I have an easier time falling asleep, but I keep escaping back out that hole in the top of my head!

2. Since I was a child I've had night terrors, where I wake screaming my head off. Since I've got a great set of pipes, this has resulted in calls to the police from my neighbors who were convinced I was being murdered. It can take me hours to get back to sleep after I've woking myself with bloodcurdling screams.

3. Have two small children (who'd I prefer not to terrify with screaming night terrors). As you know, this doesn't make for a great night's sleep all on it's own, even without the other problems.

So I guess I need a deeply sensual sleep blend, something that will activate my heart or, er, lower and drag me solidly into my body.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Best,

Tzi

I definitely second TKO...my boyfriend accurately described it as "irresistably cuddly". It's like a big vanilla-marshmallow hug. :-) On a non-BPAL note, have you tried some light meditation or a hot bath or fluffy story before bed to help unwind? TKO and Succor seem particularly well-suited to combining with such things.

I definitely second TKO...my boyfriend accurately described it as "irresistably cuddly". It's like a big vanilla-marshmallow hug. :-) On a non-BPAL note, have you tried some light meditation or a hot bath or fluffy story before bed to help unwind? TKO and Succor seem particularly well-suited to combining with such things.

Sounds like TKO it is!!!! Re: medication - I'm nursing, so that's out. Tried some homeopathy, no success with that just yet.

As for meditation, my thoughts are too out of control to reign in on my own -- I am searching for some guided visualisations on the web to help me out. ANy recommendations there would also be great!

Best,

Tzi

Psyche knocks me out like nobody's business and I sleep so well when I wear it and I have a history of nightmares, night terrors and constantly waking up so that when it's time to get up I look like the living dead. I recommend it highly.

I always wear BPAL to bed, and the blends that give me the best sleep are incensy, like Penitence, Midnight Mass, The Pit and the Pendulum.... There is something about the rich softness of these blends that is comforting and protective, conducive to peaceful sleep.

Just read this thread and went to look for Nocturne on the TAL site - didn't find it! Is it an unreleased?

Just read this thread and went to look for Nocturne on the TAL site - didn't find it! Is it an unreleased?

Nocturne is under the "Funereal Oils" category on the bpal website. :P

Yes--TAL: Nocturne is an unreleased Twilight Alchemy Lab oil but still can be ordered (see this post), but there is a separate BPAL perfume of the same name under Funereal Oils on the BPAL site.

Edited to make more clear.

Aha! I was wondering how all these people figured out that the BPAL Nocturne was good for sleeping. That's what I get for trying to be helpful. :P