Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Scarecrow

An agricultural gargoyle. Though he is the Guardian of the Crops and Keeper of the Fields, his visage is still the stuff of nightmares. The scent of a hot wind blowing through desolate, scorched, barren fields.

I was expecting a dry sort of scent but this smells wonderfully of sweet, green and corn fields when they are so tall you can't see wher you are. Interestingly as it dries the field becomes drier and more brittle like watching the seasons change.

Imp: I totally get why other people think this smells like nail polish remover. I get an initially sharp, acrid blast with a soft sweetness underneath.

Wet: Full on nail polish remover. Oddly, it's not unpleasant. It's sort of sharp and interesting and kind of reminds me of something from my childhood.

Dry: This is really lovely. I get a bit of corn husk and that dry, "prairie" sort of scent you get driving through the prairies. It reminds me of the drive from Calgary down into the Crowsnest Pass. Very evocative if nothing else.

Throw: Strong, actually. I applied thinking that it would be Coyote-esque in its strength, but this Scarecrow easily has Coyote pinned to the ground whimpering.

Overall: It's an interesting and unusual scent. It definitely reminds me of something I can't put my finger on but I'm not sure if I necessarily want to smell like it all the time.

I really wish this had more throw to it, I am "one of those people" who like to really smell up the place with my perfumes ;D so that is really my big complaint about it. Other then that though, realy this reminds me of a not so honey, more manly Hay Moon.

In the imp: Dry hay. Maybe a grassy note in there.

After 5 minutes: Dry hay. No change from the imp. It's clean, and makes me feel like Dorothy in Kansas.

After 10 minutes:No change, but here's a story. I posted this somewhere else, but I don't remeber where, so I'm writing it again. I walked by my roommates room. She asked if removed my nailpolish. I said no. She said I smelled like nail polish remover. But that is smells nice. I sad I was wearing perfume, and she smelled my wrist, and said she really liked it. She liked the smell of nail polish remover. I realized that the nail polish remover note is in this, but it's not overpowering and disgusting. Like my roommate said, in this scent, I like the smell of nail polish remover! :P

Overall: Wasn't expecting it to last, but it does! It doesn't change. And it does smell like nail polish remover, but it's clean and interesting and atmospheric nail polish remover. I will buy a big bottle!

Edited by Caerphilly

I knew just from looking at the notes this wouldn't work for me, but I'm trying everything, so on it went.

All I really get is hay. Bummer.

Imp: Grass, Hay. Clean and nice

Wet on Me: Hay…lovely hay…

Drying Down: Complete and total fresh hay.

Dry: Still Hay! Hi hay! Not bad. Not unpleasant.

Will probably keep the imp but not get a bottle.

Imp: It sorta smells like clay…clay and house cleaner of some sort.

Dry: Yeah, red clay. Really heavy in minerals, iron for one. Mineral clay with some house cleaner and acetone notes. About 3 hrs in, I can pick out scorched notes, but they’re more like burning plastic/treacle.

Overall: This obviously just doesn’t work on me. I dunno if its my chemistry, or just how my nose perceives this blend, since it didn’t smell much different in the imp to me. Onto swaps!

In the imp: Man this is driving me CRAZY, this smells exactly like a book or stuffed animal or SOMETHING I had as a kid and I cannot put my finger on what it is. It's definitely SHARP!! A very biting but not totally unpleasant smell.

Wet on skin: Um...this smells like bad breath and turpentine. :x.

Drydown: Wow...no. This is a no for me. Shrieking paint fumes. Hopefully it will be kinder to someone else.

In the imp - nail polish remover, but when I keep sniffing it I sense a sweetness underneath.

On the arm - please oh please make it be hay! All I want is hay! Fields! Summer dried grass! Please!!!! :D

This should be interesting because I have Gunpowder on my other arm and I'm curious how his all-kinds-of-horse-food other than hay will fare against an imp that should be hay altogether.

My search for hay is all consuming. My first BPAL purchase was Hay Moon. Did I get hay out of at all? Not until I'd hopped in the shower and washed most of it off, strangely enough. C'mon c'mon!! Be hay!!!!

Wow! The difference after awhile is striking. On my wrist pulse I have a dusky hay-ish smell (woohoo!) while on my stronger inner arm pulse I get the sharpish nail polish remover but it seems to be easing off to a sweet grass type thing. :P

Happy day. And the contrast between Scarecrow and Gunpowder is really pronounced! There's a blossoming warmth in Gunpowder probably from the oats that isn't present here, but it's fun to go back and forth between the two!

For some reason Scarecrow reminds me of peaches. I get the petrol/ nail polish remover smell but behind that there's something peach-like. I don't know ":P The dry grass comes out after a while but for a few hours it's very sharp and chemical-y. Anyway, it's really a warm scent, it being described as "scorched" fields is spot on. It'll be a good addition to my ever-growing collection of autumnal scents.

Grassy, dry, sharp, and a little sour. I like this. Like many reviews have said, it feels golden, but also has a burned acrid quality that isn't entirely unpleasant. Certainly unusual. I'm not sure I'd wear it very often, but I might on occasion just so I can sniff myself and get lost in the imagery. :P

Yay, lab frimp!

This is not a girlie scent; burnt, sour/bitter and smoky.... the description was pretty spot on.

Not my style at all, but without a doubt an interesting blend to try out. I did end up washing it off after 30 minutes because it was so not something I can wear, but I think the right chemistry could turn it into something special.

Edited by obsidienne

In imp: An almost sweet alcoholic mix (which is completely wrong, but still, this is what I smell)

Wet on skin: I get a gold/green scent with more foresty smells than field smells. Definitely an autumn scent. Keep sniffing my wrist, trying to figure out what that forest scent is. My first impression was Eucalyptus or some Northern yew tree - just because the forest scent stood out so much, but after a few sniffs, it smells more like a forest during autumn time.

Dry down: A pleasant powdery field smell without the associated allergies that I have for smells like this. The woodsy scent has gone to the background, but it occasionally flares up.

Final Verdict: I really like this smell. It actually ::gets embarrassed:: reminds me of that scene from the Twilight book in the clearing in the middle of the forest. However, it's very masculine, but I don't see this as being a scent my husband would like to wear. I don't think it'll be a big bottle, but I'm certainly holding on to this one for its uniqueness.

Edited to add: Strange, but I get it as a middle to strong smell and my husband gets it as a light hardly there smell when he sniffs me.

Edited by KassiK

In the imp this smells of nail polish, and is much the same on the skin. After a while I start to get a bit of scorched greenness with no intriguing complexity.

Hm, can't say I'm liking this one.

This is smoke with sweet hay, earth and a touch of herbs. It's very interesting, and not unpleasant, but I don't feel it suits my personality.

This is like a dry summer day, hanging laundry sheets in the wind. It's much cleaner than I anticipated (very laundry-esque) and would definitely be good for a spring/summer scent! God, I've been getting lucky in finding laundry/clean scents lately -- I just love this! It's got a good staying power as well, and is not overwhelming in the least. I can see this being a good masculine or feminine scent.

I wouldn't say so much "nail polish remover" as "really strong soap". Sigh. I honestly wanted to like this.

In imp: Yikes. There's my soap. Bitter, bitter soap.

On me: Please morph. Please please please. Hay? Prairie? Burning, even?

Later: Never got any of the listed notes to come out on my skin. Stupid skin chemistry. I end up with acrid-soap-wrist. *sigh*

I've liked pretty much everything I've tried with grassy notes in there so far, and I'm also intrigued by burning/scorched notes. Some of my favorite scents evoke images of particular places or settings, and since the description of this involves fields and grasses and charring, I figured I needed to give it a try.

In the imp: Grassy, charred, and rather high-pitched.

Wet on skin: Not as high-pitched as when wet, but still grassy and charred, with a sort of acrid/sour aspect to it.

Drydown: Freshly dry, it's not as acrid as when wet. It's a definite dry straw/grass note, but different from the dry grass in Coyote or Moon of Small Spirits. It somehow smells like a stiffer, more cultivated, grass. There's still a definite scorched scent on top of this all. At one hour in, the whole thing has faded drastically, though what's left is the same stiff scorched dry grass idea.

Five hours later: Completely gone. Already. It has been pretty much gone since the two or three hour mark, in fact.

End of the day: Still gone.

Overall: I had high hopes for this one based on description, and based on that scorched fields atmosphere that it produced early on. It's definitely late summer or early fall, hot enough to be oppressive, but dry enough to set fires across the straw. That straw note is dead on, and the rest definitely achieves scorched and desolate. But alas, despite this promising start, Scarecrow disappears on me in all too short of a time. Two hours? Or less? Seriously? I'm hoping trying this in different weather or something will make it work better, because I want it to work based on what I did get to smell. If it continues to be this short-lived, though, I may have to pass it on to someone else.

Wow...I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was that I was smelling before I went and read the other reviews -- nailpolish remover, for sure! In the imp and wet on my skin, anyway...

Once it starts to dry down it morphs into this oddly perfumey dry hay smell...a little sweet, a little fresh, but overall kind of artificial. Not really my thing, I think.

I got this as a frimp, and honestly had no idea what to expect/whether I'd like it when I decided to try it.

First sniff: Dry, a little grassy, and spicy. It made me want to sneeze, very badly.

Wet: Dry, like hay, and very spicy. VERY spicy. It's like a bale of hay in the summer, with some sort of spices dumped all over it. It's also very strong and makes me feel lightheaded... I also still want to sneeze. I hope I'm not allergic...

Drying: Still very dry hay, although the spicyness fades somewhat. It's got quite a decent throw, too, becoming more noticeable as time passes. I also started getting a smoky incense smell. Amber, maybe? I don't know, practically everything has resins in it to me it feels like. :lol: I'm finding myself liking it for some reason, although the lightheadedness is still here...

Drydown: A bit... sweeter, maybe. Still very dry and hay-like, though. However, I still feel lightheaded and my last sniff made me sneeze. I think I am definitely allergic to something in this. :cry2:

I think that I like it. I don't know why I like it, but when I ask myself "what's your opinion?" it's "I like it!" Which really stinks, because I can't wear it unless I like my nose itching and feeling dizzy. :cry:

Does anyone have a good sense of what the actual notes in this are, so I can keep an eye out for potential allergens in other scents? ***edit: If you do, feel free to send me a PM and let me know. Thanks!

Edited by Inventrix

Imp: Mustard powder

Wet: Sour mustard powder and something metallic

Drydown: I don't know how to describe this scent, but I don't like it. :ack:

This is very dry, and almost powdery on me. It disappears very quickly (my skin tends to eat the dry blends). Unfortunately, not a keeper.

Sniffing the imp, it's got a burnt scent quality to it.

On the skin, I still get that burnt (scorched) dry grass note. Very interesting scent. I agree it's a masculine scent....as it dries, this turns a bit powdery then soapy on my skin.