Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Sado-masochistic holiday cheer: whip leather, cardamom, patchouli and bourbon.

I was really excited to try Spanked: cardamom, patchouli, leather? Sign me up! The only note I was apprehensive about was bourbon, but that's the subtlest element of the scent on my skin: it's just a slight splash of booziness, spiced with a bit of cardamom. I was hoping for more cardamom, but no such luck... my skin has a tendency to suck up cardamom and mellow spices out, though! The heart of this scent is patchouli with leather. This leather note is the softest I've smelled in BPAL, probably because of its age: instead of sharp-edged whip leather, it smells more like a buttery soft leather jacket. The patchouli is definitely the most prominent note of all: it's smooth, smooth, smooth, dark and rich, just a bit of sweetness. I tested with just a drop but it lasted for ages and ages: rather close to the skin, but powerful. Ultimately, it's nice but not mind-blowing, and there are sexier leather scents in the BPAL repertoire, IMO... Crowley certainly comes to mind, even Tezcatlipoca... both feature patchouli and leather, and are much easier to get your hands on. ;) Edited by tajana

I received a testable sniffie today of Spanked.

Sniffing the imp, it's all leather and bourbon.

On my skin, I smell every single note: leather, bourbon, cinnamon-like cardamom, and patchouli. It dries down to spicy leather with a hint of patchouli. The bourbon note might still be there but is kind of disguised under the cardamom now.

Damn, I see why this is so popular. It's an amazing blend. Here's hoping this scent gets resurrected some time in the future.

I can't stop sniffing my wrist. :lol:

This was one of my pipe dream scents, and I recently traded for some of it.

In the vial: Booze, spice, leather. Smells extremely alcoholic.

Wet: The cardamom comes out very strongly, and there's something that smells like an unholy marriage of bourbon and patchouli. (Bourbon is a confirmed bachelor in my book, never to be paired with anything save an ice cube or, once a year, sugar and mint. But never patchouli!) It smells somewhat like Malkuth, actually!

One hour: Oh man, this is an awful lot like Malkuth with leather added. I love Malkuth and have a lot of it; it's weird to smell an almost identical scent with the addition of salty leather.

Three hours: Still very much like Malkuth. But now, in addition to the leather, I notice it's not as fruity as Malkuth. But the patchouli and cardamom, possibly the booze too, are very strongly reminiscent of Malkuth. I like Malkuth better, because it's sweeter and not so sharp, but this is interesting too. I'm glad I got to try it and see what all the mystique is!

Five hours: The leather note is lightening up at last, and now I'm back to the bourbon and patchouli base. There's just a touch of cardamom left in it, and it still reminds me of Malkuth.

My word... no WONDER this is so desperately sought after!

This has aged enough that I picked up the cardamom as cinnamon, and there was no dermal reaction. This scent is delightfully dirty, and it's just ...

:thud:

Dayum.

It does fade away to become less HOT DAMN, but it's still delectable. My thanks to Hlinspjalda for the sniffie!

I received a tiny amount of this and ye gads I need more...

In the bottle it is all leather and patchouli, but as soon as it hits my skin it is cardamom and leather. As it dries the bourbon comes out and it becomes mellower but still dead sexy.

First of all, THANK YOU STELLANS for being so kind as to share this fantastic oil with us! You are truly amazing!! :wub2:

Now all I can say about this is HOLY!! This is just fantastic. And just like others say, I can totally see how this is coveted. I don't see how anybody can not like it. It's the Michael Jackson of oils. There's not a single person out there who can deny that this is amazing.

It's spicy, sweet, earthy, and oh so sexy. This is the finest example of perfect harmony between oils. You can't tell where one note begins and another ends. The bourbon isn't boozy, the patchouli isn't dirty, the leather isn't meaty, and the cardamon isn't foody... and yet they compliment each other perfectly!

Amazing! I hope that one day the lab will be able to resurrect this one.

Ok, so I wanted to see what the fuss was all about and the lovely Ibfury sent me a tester. :wub2: She's wonderful. I put on just a touch, and WHEW! All leather all the time!!! I can just barely smell the cardamom underneath the LEATHER but beyond that... nothing! No bourbon, no patchouli, no NOTHING! So, I am saved from trying to track down more of this!

Orangey-amber oil. Harsh and sharp - plasticky-style De Sade leather jumps out most of all, followed closely by high-proof booze. I don't really get the patchouli, but I do get a creamy, green-fresh warmth from the cardamom - lightly and distantly.

LEATHER whoa, and booze still strong too, but I get more of the cardamom, which actually has a spicy edge now. The patchouli is so smooth that it's more like a warm earthy background - definitely the subtle type, not a dirty or rooty or hippiesh type, but a refined note

The leather continues to utterly dominate and it's really that De-Sade chemical-plastic-powder type that I abhor. Very strong throw, and it's so unpleasant to me that I might have to wash this off. Even with my nose to my arm I can barely detect the other notes because leather's got such a tight reign on this blend.

This makes me feel ill, much like De Sade, to it which honestly, on the drydown at least, is nearly identical. I'm not sure how a woman would pull this off, as I find it extremely masculine although also simply just revolting. Intense throw & very long-lived on me.

:ack:

Spanked:

In the Vial: 

Wet: Strong, in-your-face leather. But being the leather whore that I am, I don't mind it a bit. ;)

Drydown: Soft, warm leather. The barest hint of spice.

Verdict: I see the fuss, I do. This is easily one of my favorite leather blends I have ever tried and if I magically found a cheap bottle? I'd buy it up in an instant! But my heart is so keenly set on some other blends, that this gorgeous decant has found a new home so that I could get me more of my most loved. :wub:

A lovely forumite sent me a testable sniffie of this scent. And now, I am kind of sorry I tried it becuase IT IS THE BEST BPAL I HAVE EVER TRIED. Ever. I smell like walking sex. In the bottle, it's sharp and almost dry, I definitely get the leather and booze.

But once it hits my skin, a dirty patchouli and something that smells a lot like amber to me come out and play, with leather and booze just slightly in the background. It's simply amazing.

I still can't believe that I'm actually able to try this. HUGE thanks to talula_faire for passing on her tester!

In the imp, this is chemically leather. ...Maybe I have a chance at avoiding a BPALicorn! On my skin... oh. shit. This is not the chemically leather. This is the leather that is beyond amazing on me. Fuuuuuu -

Yeah. Amazing leather, similar to that in Perversion, but without the wine note; instead, it's bourbon and cardamom supporting. Damnit. This may become a leather holy grail.

RESURRECTION PLEASE.

Edited by Venneh

First of all, I'd like to thank cfrancesca for the opportunity to test the almighty original Spanked. :heart:

Although I hated the 2011 version (chemical leather and Red Hots), I still wanted to try the original. This one is soft worn leather, smooth expensive bourbon, and a dash of patchouli gives it that "I just got some" naughtiness. The cardamom is perfect in here. It gives your nose a little spanking but it's not OMG cinnamon! like Spanked revisited.

I would probably sell a kidney for a bottle of this one.

Spanked took me a lot of hard wraught wrangling to get back in 2006. When I got a chance to test it, it was potent, steamy black leather, jabby cinnamon (not listed in notes, but that was what I got on my skin) and a minor blip of patchouli. I think the leather had it properly tied up and submissive. I thought it's "interesting" as a concept fragrance. But, too bad ass for me to live up to.

Into my my HTF hoard box it went!

Fast forward 10 years. I almost swapped this baby out, but have discovered that aging has done wonders to some of my past "no's" I have been re-visiting bottles that didn't work on me before, this included.

NOW, Spanked 2005 is like wearing a smoky (bourbon doing that?) worn, smooth leather. Leather that has sat next to a hearth and over the years has pick up wood smoke. The patch is not discernible per se. It's like a thin cobweb thread weaving through. There, suppotive, but almost invisible.

It's sexy sexy in a bottle. Confident sexy. I'm going to do naughty things to you, and you'll love it inspite of yourself sexy.

Not sure about the 2011 re-release. I can confidently say 2005 will rock your socks off!