Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Pumpkin with apple cider and mulling spice.

Pumpkin Patch 1 is to f*ing die for. LOVE it.
Wet: pumpkin, spikes, appley-goodness
On Skin: pumpkin, hint of butter, spicy
Drydown: pumpkin and mulled spices mellow out. GORGEOUS.
Killer throw, lasts and lasts, gets better with time.

:P

In the bottle: Apples! It really hits you as soon as you sniff it. After a few more seconds, there's a sweeter background which must be the pumpkin.

Wet: Oooh boy! This is absolutely gorgous, I love sweet, foody scents and this is no exception. I want to eat my wrists up!

Dry: It gets even better! At first, I couldn't remember what it smelled like, but then I remembered: Christmas! Every year we go to my Aunt's house for Christmas, and when I was younger she would always use the same room fragrance, and this is what it smells like! But better. Gosh do I love this! I only hope that the new pumpkins match up, and I'm sure they will!

Edited by Esmeria

I smell a tiny bit of pumpkin at the beginning, but then only apples and spices. It doesn't smell like a juicy red apple, it smells like those dried apples that you get in trail mix sometimes. After it's on for about 20 minutes, it's purely mulling spices. That's it. A wee hint of apple underneath if I sniff really close, but from a distance it's just spices.

That would be okay, except for the way I've totally overdosed on mulling-spice-scented candles during autumn over the years. When I smell mulling spices I immediately think of candles. This really does smell fantastic, and much better than any of those multitudes of candles I've burned, but not something I personally can wear as perfume.

If I were ever going to wear any perfume with an apple scent, though, this would be the one. It smells delicious.

I couldn't smell a whole lot of apple straight from the imp on this one, but holy moly, as soon as it hit my skin, the apple came wafting from my wrists right up to my nose without a moment's hesitation. It's a wonderful fresh, fall harvest apple scent. The pumpkin and spices hung a bit closer to my skin and warmed everything up. They hung around after the initial blast of apple died down. The whole effect is quite lovely and perfect for fall.

(2005 version)

Oh my. This is the first time BPAL's apple note has not brutally knocked me over. It's still strong, but I can actually put my nose near it!

It's all cider and mulling spices from about 6 inches away, and it is gorgeous. ...Wait a sec. After only a few minutes, it's all cider and spices from up close, too! Man, do I amp spice! Whither the apple? Whither the pumpkin?

15 minutes later... What the. I think it's turning on me. There's something lurking beneath the cider. Something that reminds me of when this year's jack o'lantern started getting moldy. augh! :P Ah, well.

I'm almost relieved that this turns on me -- means I don't need to track down a bottle of a two-year old scent!

Edited by suileach

bottle: pumpkins and apples. this smells so incredible!

wet: sweet, spicy pumpkin with a sweet, rich cider along for the ride. i really can't tell if this is more pumpkiny or appley but it doesn't matter as i adore both of those scents and to have them vying for dominance on my skin is pure heaven!

dry: still can't decide between pumpkin or apple, the spice is warm and rich and (for once) is not burning me at all! i'm in love!

i can't tell whether my bottle is from 2005 or 2006, if there is a way to tell them apart i'd love to know for sure.

In bottle: pure mulled cider. I can tell it's not my recipe, but it's nice enough. Very, very apple. Wet: Is that cardamom maybe, in with the clove and cinnamon? Not sure. It is very sweet on me. These are sweet over ripe red apples, not the tart crunchy ones. It's not bad, but I'm not sure this is what I want to smell like. Dry: Okay, this is what I want to smell like. The apple gets crisper and cleaner, the spiciness settles in nicely, blending pleasantly with my natural scent.

In the bottle: This smells like a warm, mealy red apple. Not a bad smell, but you know how when you were a little kid and had a piece of fruit you saved from lunch, and rolled it in your hands, and tossed it back and forth with a friend, and fiddled with the stem, and kept it on your desk, and then (finally) on the bus home you got hungry and decided to eat it? It smells like that: warmed from being in your hands for so long, and slightly bruised for being tossed about, and just mildly salty like your palms were sweating. How very interesting!

Wet: Oh. Um. It smells just like caramel popcorn to me now! I think that's the pumpkin coming out to play. But when I asked my mother, she said I smelled just like a craft store. Refining that, she said like a country store, the kind where there's potpourri and they give you free apple cider.

Dry: There's still a hint of apple, but it's mostly spices with an underlying sweetness that smacks of pumpkin. It's a dry spiciness, like you're sniffing at the powdered forms of spiced rubbed on your skin. Yum. It's good; I think I'll mostly reserve this blend for very cold days--it's perfectly warming!

would you believe i've had this since the Pumpkins were live on the site and never even opened it until a couple of days ago to decant some for someone?

sniffed from the bottle: salty-buttery-apple cider and popcorn (yeah, it sounds bad, but it smells good to me)

on skin: concentrated spiced apple cider, buttery pie crust and a creamy richness that makes me think of spaghetti squash but must be the pumpkin.

this wears VERY well, and is deliciously foody but in a subtle way.

i can see guys really liking this on a girl.

i'm so glad i bought two bottles [=

Spiky, spicy, apple cider-y goodness grounded by the warm buttery pumpkin. This was a PERFECT early fall scent, and I will soooo wear it well into the warm weather. Honestly this is one of my favorites of all 10 pumpkin patch scents..........

Testing a well-aged '06 decant given to me by a lovely forumite :P

In the imp and wet on my skin, this is all apple cider: little spice and no pumpkin to speak of. There is a lovely tartness to the apple that really makes this oil sing.

After a few minutes, the pumpkin comes out of hiding and I am amazed at how true this note is. What I am smelling here is the fresh, bright flesh of the fruit itself, not the sugary / buttery candle-type scent. Wonderful. This manages to be warm, sweet, airy and bright at the same time!

Upon complete drydown, the various notes recombine into a sweet and spicy apple scent quite reminiscent of The Hesperides. Comforting, cheerful and mellow. A perfect choice for those on whom pumpkin scents usually turn cloying.

2005 version

In vial: juicy apple with spice over a faint background of buttery pumpkin.

Wet on skin: mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! This is it! The apple/pumpkin scent I've spent a year looking for! Sweet, fruity, spicy, juicy, light and pretty. The pumpkin grounds it nicely.

Dry on skin: soooooooo gooooooooood! Must get more...... I enjoy all the lab's autumnal scents, but this is my favourite. No Vicks Vapo Rub, no patchouli or galangal, no woodsmoke or damp leaves - just spicy apples and pumpkin. Heavenly!

Unfortunately it's going a little sour now. Very short wear length.

This starts out so well, but goes kind of sour milkish after an hour or so.

(I tried the 2006 version, and that left big welts - otherwise it was the same.)

yum...the pumpkin provides a buttery scent, while the apple and mullnig spice give it that zing. it's delicious.

this is a pumpkin scent i was looking for only because of the mulling spices.

:wub2:

Possibly one of my favorite pumpkin patch blends ever.

Spicy, buttery pumpkin mingles with tart apple and mulling spices. It's juicy, sweet, sour and spicy all at the same time.

So damn good!

YUM :yum: This is my favorite of the '05 pumpkins, though all of them are lovely, but it's the dessert foodie in me speaking here. It's exactly what it says--classic spicy mulled cider mixed with warm buttery pumpkin. Two favorite autumn treats rolled into one! This has inspired me to seek out a recipe for apple-pumpkin cider to see if it really is possible...

Edited by Invidiana

The cinnamon comes through very strongly on this one, and the pumpkin and apple make a fruity background with a soft, almost boozy undertone. More a tangy than a sweet scent.

(The great reviewing old, old LEs adventure before selling them.)

Pumpkin Patch 1 (2005): Pumpkin with apple cider and mulling spice.

In the bottle: I can't tell if I've gotten better with time at picking out scents or this has really mellowed out over the years but I always remembered this as harshly potpourri smelling without much else, but now I can pick up the distinct crisp apples and a subtle butteriness that I never noticed before.

Wet: Cinnamon! Nothing but red hots candy.

Dry: Picking up more of the apples. They seem extra crisp, as if they were picked right before the frost melted. Still heavy on the cinnamon. None of the creaminess or pie described by other people. Starting to suspect I might amp cinnamon.

Overall: I have wanted this to work since I first ordered it unsniffed from the lab, in theory its everything I've always assumed I would be crazy about...autumn smells, pumpkins, apples and baking spices. Its nice enough, and boyfriend said he really liked it "because it smells like Christmas candles" but I know it can find a better home. After years of denial, I've got to admit that this is all faux scents from a craft store on me and minimal fruit.

Edited by TurpentineChai

I accidentally received a bottle of this in a sales snafu, but it ended up being a happy accident. A bit foody and classically autumnal -- mulled cider stands out the most, with a backdrop of warm, baked pumpkin. It's a little iffy with my skin chemistry -- it goes through a slightly plasticky phase at one point -- but it does eventually settle to that warm pumpkin and mulled cider again.

2005 bottle:

This one has survived multiple blind-bottle-sniffing purges of my collection to finally find a permanent place in it. The reports through the years are all true - buttery pumpkin and some roasted apples are melded with hot spices for a Pumpkin Apple classic.

I'll confess, the Lab's quintessential "warm buttery pumpkin" note is not my alltime favorite. What is this note, you may ask? It's a cooked-mashed-and-buttered puree that's gourdy, gently sweet, and in that whole sweet potato/pumpkin/yam/squash family. It brings the root vegetables to the table. This butter is salted too, which is delicious but also a little beyond-gourmand in this setting. Fortunately, the buttery pumpkin is heavily corrupted by roasted and mashed apples, which are quietly fermenting in an oak barrel full of spices and seasonings. A bit like Lambs Wool, but a bit more boozy too. Or like a stripped-down Prairie Witch (oh my) without all the other stuff, just the pumpkin, bourbon-soaked apples, and spices.

Fruity and fall-flavored, Pumpkin Patch I lives up to its name. It's not pretending it's anything more complicated than Pumpkin Apple, and we love it for it. Sometimes we just need the fall classics, and this one is here for us.

I would wear this while: watching one of my favorite falltime/Halloween movies.